Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

How to get sludge bomb on gengar/gastly in E14?

toxicmidnight

Question

So i'm training up new team members while waiting for the release of E15 and I got the gastly in the wasteland and want to train it up to use on my team. But after finding out that he can't learn sludge wave I tried to use a koffing with sludge bomb to breed a gastly with sludge bomb but it didn't work. Why didn't it work and is there anyway to get him sludge bomb in E14?

6 answers to this question

I don't think you can get it. Sludge Wave on Gastly is from Dream Isle or an event. It naturally doesn't learn the move.
Sludge Bomb on the other hand, is a TM move and we don't have that in the game yet.
If you scroll down to Egg Moves on http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/094.shtml, it shows which moves you can breed into Gengar.

I don't think you can get it. Sludge Wave on Gastly is from Dream Isle or an event. It naturally doesn't learn the move.

Sludge Bomb on the other hand, is a TM move and we don't have that in the game yet.

If you scroll down to Egg Moves on http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/094.shtml, it shows which moves you can breed into Gengar.

Actually, all moves it can learn by TM can also be passed down by breeding. It just isn't usually mentioned because in the main series all the TMs are easily obtainable. The guide posted above mentions how you can do it.

EDIT: Koffing should have been able to pass it on. Not sure what's going on there. The guide recommends Grimer, so you could try that. If that doesn't work... Maybe Ame changed the mechanics since that guide was made.

Edited by berlyda

Actually, all moves it can learn by TM can also be passed down by breeding. It just isn't usually mentioned because in the main series all the TMs are easily obtainable. The guide posted above mentions how you can do it.

EDIT: Koffing should have been able to pass it on. Not sure what's going on there. The guide recommends Grimer, so you could try that. If that doesn't work... Maybe Ame changed the mechanics since that guide was made.

You can't pass on TM moves by breeding since gen 6

That is correct. As in the link provided by Blaster, it goes over how TM Moves can be passed down if you used any Episode before Episode 13, which contained the change from Generation V to Generation VI Breeding Mechanics.

So toxic, you won't be able to pass down Sludge Bomb onto Gengar unless you decide to endure that process.

Yep, as has been stated, you need to go back to pre-E13 to do that. The guide Blasterman linked (thanks for the advertisement :) ) explains how that stuff works. Go through that and if you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to send me a PM. Or if you don't wanna do that, just, uh...skip Gengar then. It's level-up movepool is so bad it's nigh worthless if you don't go back. Though the guide does say how to get both Sludge Bomb and T-bolt onto Gengar.