Age of the Brokenmons - Chapter 1 [OU Sand, peaked at #3]

Tomas Elliot

INTRO

Hi everyone, and welcome to my first RMT in this community. My name is Tomas Elliot, but I used to be known as Tears of tomorrow back in my PO days, and this is why my main alt on the server is still Tears of tomorrow, an this team was made and tested under that alt. The results, as you can see in the pic that follows, were pretty impressive, and after some initial issues that mostly involved deciding what to run as a counter for Excadrill/Garchomp and Kingdra/Rain, the team really started to work wonders, soon, bringing me to position #3 on the ladder, even if I have only joined the server of this community less than a week ago.

The Reborn Server is possibly the only one in which immensely powerful Pokemon like Excadrill, Garchomp, Blaziken, Chandelure, Deo-S and the Rain abusers (collectively referred to as Brokenmons) are allowed for use instead of being banned to Ubers (hell, even the Moody ability, that in other servers is banned from Ubers, is OU legal here). Instead of complaining about this peculiar situation, I decided to just take advantage from it: I will therefore make a series of teams focused on exploiting the various Brokenmons to their fullest, and this is just my first experiment which, as you can see in the pic below, was very succesful.

E5GJ0VY.png

But enough bragging, and let's get into the team itself, and the reasoning behind it.

AT A GLANCE

450.gif248.gif472.gif598.gif423.gif530.gif

Just by looking at the team, you can easily understand what is its focus: Bulky Offense. By using Pokemon that are good at hitting hard and stalling at the same time, this team slowly wears down opponents by racking up indirect damage via setting up hazards, poisoning opponents, and firing off some unexpected powerful moves powered up by Choice Band/Specs. Afterwards, Excadrill will just come in and exploit its great Speed, Attack and coverage to pick up the bones and destroy any opposing Pokemon that might be still standing. It's a pretty straightforward strategy, yet immensely effective and very difficult to counter for a team that isn't specifically prepared to it.

THE TEAM IN-DEPTH

450.gif@ Leftovers

Trait: Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Stealth Rock

- Roar

- Slack Off

- Earthquake

Hippo is bulky. Hell, the amount of hits in the physical spectrum (and even special, provided they are not supereffective STAB attacks) it can take is just incredible. Factor in a reliable recovery, and it should be clear why this guy is included in the team, and why it is the go-to lead. The fact that it also summon Sand is just the icing on the cake, and also what makes the Dual Sand core possible. Being the slowest Weather-inducing Pokemon, it will always guarantee me to have Sand up turn 1, which is a good advantage. And it can be switched into a huge amount of things, so it is not just a suicidal lead. While playing this team, you should always make sure that Hippo stays alive as long as possible. And with its bulk and recovery, it won't be a hard task after all.

248.gif@ Choice Band

EVs: 244 HP / 168 Atk / 96 SDef

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Crunch

- Pursuit

- Stone Edge

- Superpower

Ah, CBTar. How I love this set. With Max HP and those SpDef investiments, this bad boy can come into any specially-oriented Pokemon in existance, sponging any special attack they might fire off (provided it is not a Fighting-type move), and just scaring them off with its impressive defensive and offensive presence: t is a true pivot for this team. Its Special Defense complements Hippo and the Dual Sand core, and its huge Atk (those investiments are just enough, with help from a Choice Band, to score important kills) will be a great asset in order to revenge kill choiced Pokemon, destroy unsuspetting Politoed and Ninetales thus winning the Weather War, or just denting holes in opposing teams. The moves that allows it to do all this is Pursuit: with this set, Pursuit will guarantee to KO any set of Politoed and any set of Ninetales after they have taken damage from Stealth Rock (and eventually a layer of Spikes), and will also score important kills on specially-oriented Pokemon that cannot beat it one-on-one, and are thus forced out (for example Tornadus-T, Latios, Thundurus-T, even Kingdra if it locks itself into Draco Meteor and Ttar sponges it...). Crunch, Stone Edge and Superpower provide great coverage, but personally I have found myself using Pursuit in 99.8% of the situations. It is just that good.

472.gif@ Toxic Orb

Trait: Poison Heal

EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spd

- Earthquake

- Taunt

- Toxic

- Protect

This guy is amazing. Fast enough to taunt support Pokemon and to finish off sweepers that are left with low health, powerful enough to deal relevant damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist EQ, bulky enough to sponge any non-supereffective physical attack, Gliscor is a huge asset to this team. Hell, thanks to its ability it is even a status absorber, thus negating the main weapon of Technician Breloom, an otherwise problematic Pokemon. It is also a great counter for opposing Excadrills, and it is also a great Toxic staller, further wearing down opponents. Gliscor has been one of my favorite Pokemon since it first came out in Gen 4 (Ame, put Razor Fang in Reborn already!), and in this team it truly shines.

598.gif@ Leftovers

Trait: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef

Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Leech Seed

- Power Whip

- Gyro Ball

- Spikes

Currently the best Spikes-user in the Pokemon world, Ferrothorn came out in Gen 5 and was saluted as a blessing by any stall player, and for a reason. In this team, it does what it does best: wall stuff and set up Spikes, while at the same time steal health with Leech Seed and hit surprisingly powerful Gyro Balls and Power Whips to finish off unsuspecting opponents. Ttar can freely switch into any Fire-type move that may threat Ferro, and kill the opponent using it with Pursuit, so it is easy for Ferro to do its job. If you don't want your Ferro to be just a bait for Chandelure (which will be revenged by Ttar every time it kills Ferro, thus resulting in a one-for-one situation) you can run Shed Shell as an item over Leftovers, but that extra recovery is usually needed.

423.gif@ Choice Specs

Trait: Storm Drain

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Ice Beam

- Surf

- Earth Power

- Hidden Power [Electric]

People just don't realize how strong this guy is, as a pokemon in general, and as a Rain counter in particular. Bulky, with 2 key immunities (Electric and Water, the latter through its ability) and a ver good Special Attack, after absorbing a Scald from Politoed, if rain is still up, this guy can deal around 41% damage to an incoming Kingdra with Surf, a 4x resisted move. Yes, you read it right, do your calcs if you don't believe me. And the funny thing is that Kingdra cannot KO back this guy with any of its moves, and thus will be 2KOed (factoring in hazard damage) or forced out again. Sponging attacks and hitting back hard, this is the way of Bulky Offense, my personal favorite way.

530.gif@ Air Balloon

Trait: Sand Rush

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- Iron Head

- Swords Dance

And here is the Brokenmon. When your opponent's Pokemon are starting to be low in health due to the combined efforts of the rest of this team, all you need to do is to wait for the right time to switch in this guy, exploiting its 3 key immunities (Electric, Poison, and Ground thanks to Air Balloon): if you mnage (and you should) to force a switch, you will simply be able to use Swords Dance on the switch, further boosting the already impressive Atk of this beast, and then just swing for game: very few Pokemon can take a beating from this monster, even less can hurt it back, and chances are that, by the time it hits the field, you will be able to call gg. Adamant Nature is chosen to maximize attack power, since generally the extra speed is not needed: 275 means that in sand you will be boosted to an outstanding 550, more than enough to outspeed the vaste majority of the metagame, even with Scarves equipped.

CONCLUSIONS

Well, this is it. Dual Sand is a very powerful concept, and I feel this team exploits it to its fullest: feel free to rate, comment and suggest anything that might improve it. Talking is the key to improving, so all comments (as long as they are polite) are welcome!

Lastly, here is the importable:

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

- Stealth Rock

- Roar

- Slack Off

- Earthquake

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band

EVs: 244 HP / 168 Atk / 96 SDef

- Crunch

- Pursuit

- Stone Edge

- Superpower

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb

Trait: Poison Heal

EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spd

- Earthquake

- Taunt

- Toxic

- Protect

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef

Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Leech Seed

- Power Whip

- Gyro Ball

- Spikes

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon

Trait: Sand Rush

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- Iron Head

- Swords Dance

Gastrodon (M) @ Choice Specs

Trait: Storm Drain

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Ice Beam

- Surf

- Earth Power

- Hidden Power [Electric]

I'm pretty sure anyone that's ever laddered here on Reborn has used this team or at least something extremely similar, congrats on the peak I guess, but forgive me for not being interested enough to rate it.