Requiem for a Team

Grim

Requiem for a Team
Perish Trapping ~ OU
198.png429.png576.png205.png227.png242.png
Well, this is my first real foray into the competitive scene: That isn't to say I haven't dabbled in it before - I have, but not particularly extensively. Anyway, after little success on the offensive/balanced fronts, I reckoned something stally might be more my speed. Then I discovered Perish Song, and all the strategy involved with it.
The purpose of this team is really quite simple - Prankster Murkrow leads, and can generally be relied upon to at least get Mean Look and Perish Song setup. From there on, depending on the pokemon, I generally switch out to Gothitelle, and stall with Protect/Rest until Perish Song does its thing. Mismagius is my secondary Perish Singer, in case of a Ko'ed Murkrow. Of course, he doesn't get the Prankster boost, but I haven't found it too difficult to switch in and get a song off. Starmie is my spinner, since Entry Hazards are quite a problem for this team, and Skarmory and Blissey are there for soaking up physical and special attacks respectively. Skarmory is also an entry-hazard setter, and Blissey is there for her freakin' huge wishes.
Unfortunately, this doesn't always go quite to plan, and with my limited competitive experience, I'm not all that sure where I'm going wrong, thus, some constructive criticism and such would be very helpful indeed!

iFPUtb9.png
@ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 212 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Perish Song
- Mean Look
- Protect
- Roost
---
Murkrow is the main Perish Singer of my team - It gets priority on its moves with Prankster, and will generally KO one or two pokemon before something takes it out. Eviolite is for some longevity, here. The Calm nature is since the majority of Super Effective types seem to use special moves.
---
JqIysRa.png
@ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Mean Look
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
---
Also a Perish Singer (and technically a spinblocker with his typing), Mismagius is there to pick up where Murkrow left of if/when it gets KO'ed, thus the similar movepools. Shadow Ball was really too good to pass up, though. Since Prankster can't be abused here, I went for a faster build, and Mismagius will outspeed a decent amount of unboosted things.
---
tc2VUaE.png
@ Chesto Berry
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Protect
---
The go-to pokemon for use after a Perish Song, if Murkrow or Mismagius can't be left in, and Mean Look is disabled, I'm using Gothitelle since she's got Shadow Tag, and appeared to be the best pokemon with it, I think. Her main purpose is to stall away for Perish Song, although Psychic is there for some coverage.
hFwdcGm.png

@ Leftovers

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Rapid Spin

- Stealth Rock

- Spikes

- Volt Switch

---

Forretress is a rapid spinner, and an entry-hazard setter. Volt Switch is there to make a getaway, although I'm considering swapping it out for Gyro Ball for some offensive oomph...

---
tyJguIp.png
@ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
---
One half of the ever-popular (although I haven't seen it around all that much lately) SkarmBliss combo, Skarmory is for laying spikes, phazing and soaking up physical hits (thus the Rocky Helmet). Brave Bird is there for power, although the recoil damage is rather annoying at times.
---
lGwE9my.png
@ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice
---
Lastly, the big pink egg, Blissey. She's the one calling the shots where healing is concerned, with Wish and Heal Bell. She's pretty good at absorbing Special attacks, too, which is always useful.
---

Murkrow (M) @ Eviolite

Trait: Prankster

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef

- Perish Song

- Mean Look

- Protect

- Roost

Mismagius (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Mean Look

- Perish Song

- Protect

- Shadow Ball

Gothitelle (F) @ Chesto Berry

- Psychic

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

- Protect

Skarmory (F) @ Rocky Helmet

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd

Hardy Nature

- Brave Bird

- Spikes

- Roost

- Whirlwind

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Rapid Spin

- Stealth Rock

- Spikes

- Volt Switch

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers

- Wish

- Softboiled

- Heal Bell

- Hyper Voice

Edited by Grim

Isn't it a bit risky to rely ONLY on Perish-trapping? I mean, one thing is creating a Perish-trapping core for a team that can win also in other ways (for example, Politoed and Wobbuffet make a great Perish-trap core for a rain team), but having Perish-trapping as only win condition... I only need to switch immediately to beat it, and if you try to prevent me from doing so by using Mean Look... Well, that might be a huge risk: two turns with Murkrow (a very frail Pokemon) out without attacking, I can easily kill it before it gets the strategy going... Also, in Reborn's metagame, with Chandelure running rampant, Gothitelle is generally the least efficent trapper...

All in all, my tip is to rethink your team: you like Perish-trapping? That's fine, is a cool strategy, but don't use it as only win condition of your team, don't be like "I pull it off or lose"... Try to build an efficent core consisting of one Perish-user and one trapper (Politoed is great on this regard, since it has Perish Song and it synergizes greatly with both Wobbuffet, which is arguably the best trapper, while Chandelure has a great type-synergy with Politoed, but is also hindered by rain, and thus it would be better used with the likes of Celebi, Smeargle, or even Murkrow), and then build around them a strategy that exploits their potential to their fullest, including also other win conditions. A good team needs to be able to adapt to different situations!

For example, the Politoed-Wobbuffet core works wonders in a Rain Stall team, while a more offensive core exploiting Chandelure would be good at removing Pokemon that can counter Blaziken, thus removing defensive threats and paving the way for a late-game sweep... Hell, Celebi synergizes very well with both Chandelure and Blaziken, toss in a pair of defensive Pokemon able to cover the common weaknesses (like Ghost) and rack up indirect damage through hazards and status aliments and you have a great basis to start working from!

These are just general tips, do whatever you wish with them...

Reborn's OU metagame is easy to explain: everything goes. Aslo known as LOLBROKENMONS.

In serious terms, it means that Chandelure, Thundurus, Blaziken, Excadrill, Garchomp, Deo-S and the Drizzle+Swift Swim combination (as to say, all the stuff that was banned throughout Gen 5) are all allowed on Reborn server.

I'm not sure about the team overall but it looks fun. The main thing I'd like to point is out that Blissey is pretty much outclassed by Eviolite Chansey, the only upside of using Blissey is you can have leftovers. If you want to stick to Blissey you're much better off putting 252 in Defense and 252 in HP with a Bold nature, this basically means you will actually be able to take hits from most physical attackers that arn't banded or super effective.

The other option of using Chansey is much more effective at taking hits on both special and defensive sides.

113.gif

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Wish

- Toxic

- Softboiled

- Seismic Toss

This is the Chansey set I used to great success when I battled competetively, she takes special hits all day whilst being able to recover all the HP back instantly, stops choice specs users in their tracks, unless they're using Psyshock in which case you will be able to take the hit but not anywhere near as well. Now with Eviolite buffing also the defense on top of max EV's and a Bold nature she becomes very resilient towards Pokemon that would usually destroy Blissey. For example: 252 Atk Choice Band Scizor (+Atk) Superpower vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Chansey (+Def) : 80.97% - 95.45%
2 hits to KO. Toxic is used for stalling out special threats or walls which arn't able to touch you, you'll probably be hated for this because Chansey seems to make people angry. Also being able to pass a huge Wish to an ally when need be is fantastic. There are a few other ways to use Chansey but this is my personal favourite.

You'll later appreciate the fact that the broken mons exist. I used to hate it but later on I realized it's just Ame's attempt at making her own meta that isn't Smogon. I didn't appreciate it till much later but, better late than never right? (Also, if all of the broken pokemon existed in Reborn's Meta we would see a lot of Shaymin-S, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-N, and Darkrai everywhere. >>)

Back on topic. The above suggestion works better as Chansey can wash away a lot of the use that Blissey used to have with it's eviolite. But a suggestion for a trapper would be fairly obvious. Gothitelle, while a trapper is massively overshadow by two other trappers in the meta that have served an amazing purpose. You have either Dugtrio or Chandelure.

609.gif

Chandelure (M) @ Choice Scarf

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Modest Nature ( +SAtk, -Atk) / Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

-Overheat

-Energy Ball

-Shadow Ball

-Hidden Power [ice] / Trick

You'll fair a little bit better with Chandelure. Chandelure has the ability to halt many standard sweepers in this game and is the bain to any pokemon with a Choice Scarf/band/specs. In the Reborn meta, we all know. NOBODY likes to face this thing with a sweeper that's frail to a specific attack Chandelure has. With this specific set you will be able to threaten Landorus, Landorus-T, Breloom, Gengar, and various other pokemon. The nature is really up to preference. I like Modest because it has a great chance to OHKO Mamoswine. Timid is usually the preferred nature because in the Reborn's meta speed is a major factor as a lot of sweepers are extremely fast like Excadrill or Ludicolo.

Good luck with the perish team. It's a very cute and interesting concept. Hope the suggestions help!

Edited by Cowtao

Well if you love perish song so much, maybe try out lapras? It can learn perish song AND trap with whirlpool. has priority attacks too. On blissey, hyper voice is likely to not deal much damage ,but seismic toss will always deal 100, unless you're up against a ghost type which hyper voice wouldn't effect either. although I get how you're trying to make a sound based team, and I personally love origionality!