Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

Staravia/Staraptor with Reckless?

Noorel

Question

13 answers to this question

It is...Mine has Reckless...I was sooooo worried because Starly has only keen eye, I had no idea if it was possible...I think either Starly has 2 Keen Eye Abilities, or it is just completly random which you will get when evolving...

Here, have a reassuring picture:

Good Luck

Edited by GenshiD

So technically, you can get it near evolving level, save and then proceed? If it doesn't get Reckless, reset and try again, right?

Theoretically, yes. I haven't tested it myself though and have been wondering what the deal is for what is coded as a one ability Pokemon to evolve into one with multiple abilities.

I am exactly trying.this. Saving, evolving and resetting when it's not Reckless.

But till yet nothing. Maybe one has to be very patient.... :mellow:

Maybe GenshiD could elaborate on how he got his because seeing as I've never tested it myself. In an ideal world you'd be able to get both and it seems like you can. Not sure if there's some way to guarantee it though as this is a rather odd edge case.

Theoretically, yes. I haven't tested it myself though and have been wondering what the deal is for what is coded as a one ability Pokemon to evolve into one with multiple abilities.

Maybe GenshiD could elaborate on how he got his because seeing as I've never tested it myself. In an ideal world you'd be able to get both and it seems like you can. Not sure if there's some way to guarantee it though as this is a rather odd edge case.

Actually, it was pure random....I caught Starly, saw that he had only one ability and thought "Oh well, I'll settle for Intimidate Staraptor"...And when he evolved, I saw Reckless and was very pleased....That's why I say it is either Random or 2 Keen Eye abilities for Starly...But:

Pretty sure it's this. Starly only has "one" ability (due to both of them being the same ability, and duplicates not being allowed by the editor).

So I have really no clue how it works, I just know it does XD

Actually, it was pure random....I caught Starly, saw that he had only one ability and thought "Oh well, I'll settle for Intimidate Staraptor"...And when he evolved, I saw Reckless and was very pleased....That's why I say it is either Random or 2 Keen Eye abilities for Starly...But:

So I have really no clue how it works, I just know it does XD

Man this is the most confusing edge case I've ever seen. I am struggling to figure out how exactly this works out to better explain it but... it's tricky.

I was actually going for a Staraptor with Intimidate, only to end up with Reckless. Like Noorel, I tried resetting to get Intimidate, but all I got was Reckless. Maybe the ability was predetermined when we caught our Starly, like how the ability was determined for we hatch pokemon eggs?

Edited by DarkLight

I was actually going for a Staraptor with Intimidate, only to end up with Reckless. Like Noorel, I tried resetting to get Intimidate, but all I got was Reckless. Maybe the ability was predetermined when we caught our Starly, like how the ability was determined for we hatch pokemon eggs?

Abilities as a whole are calc'd rather oddly, but I need more testing to make sure that I'm not going to entirely break them.

The thing with Starly is that it literally only has Keen Eye as its ability. There appears to be no distinction between the 'hidden ability' version and the normal ability version as the hidden one doesn't even exist according to the script. Starly just has 100% chance to get Keen Eye, that's all.

I need more time with this thing to squash the bug/inconsistency.

The Ability of a Pokemon works the same as IVs, ie. the Ability your Pokemon will have is set by a number and you cannot modify it.

I also got a Reckless Starly; not the best nature and average IVs, but i'm happy with that.

Thank you for posting this, because it reminded me of a bandage function that I wrote in order to attempt to fix DW ability normalization.

I don't know why I was so confused before, I think it was because abilities aren't calculated in the same place as all the other data when a new Pokemon is created. In short, abilities aren't exactly 'set' to a number per se, but they are based off of that Pokemon's personal ID where possible. If a Pokemon has 2 abilities then an even-numbered PID will get you the first ability and an odd-numbered one gets you the second ability. If the Pokemon has a third ability, then the PID is calculated in mod 3 where the value (0,1, or 2) defines the ability the Pokemon gets.