Computer Issues

Xander95

I'm guessing either incomplete installation and/or faulty drive, yes. I'd format the usb stick / dvd-rw (or get a new one if not rewritable) and put Win7 on it again and then retry the installation, or, if available, try the stick / dvd on another machine. If it fails to install on another machine, format and retry. If it fails after re-copying the installation files on the stick / dvd, probably faulty drive. Do you have a spare hdd to test it on?

Edit: I've had the same problem too but I don't recall the exact problem. I know for a fact I fixed a friend's desktop recently where he had a very similar issue (sometimes the pc loaded up the os, sometimes it didn't) and I tested his hdd and turned out it was basically dead. Couldn't salvage anything, just told him to buy a new one and bring it to me. Reinstalled the os without a problem and has worked since.

Edited by ItsClint

50 minutes ago, ItsClint said:

I'm guessing either incomplete installation and/or faulty drive, yes. I'd format the usb stick / dvd-rw (or get a new one if not rewritable) and put Win7 on it again and then retry the installation, or, if available, try the stick / dvd on another machine. If it fails to install on another machine, format and retry. If it fails after re-copying the installation files on the stick / dvd, probably faulty drive. Do you have a spare hdd to test it on?

Edit: I've had the same problem too but I don't recall the exact problem. I know for a fact I fixed a friend's desktop recently where he had a very similar issue (sometimes the pc loaded up the os, sometimes it didn't) and I tested his hdd and turned out it was basically dead. Couldn't salvage anything, just told him to buy a new one and bring it to me. Reinstalled the os without a problem and has worked since.

My plan is as follows.  Remove existing hard drive and insert it into a dock on my desktop and run diagnostics on it to check the state of the drive.  If nothing is wrong, I am gonna be installing the OS.  If it still has problems, I'm gonna be installing a new hard drive with a system recovery installed on a partition.  He said the OS was completely installed so I'm betting it's a bad hard drive.  He said the laptop was refurbished but as we all know, people lie to make a buck.  So I'm gonna check the drive and go from there.

3 minutes ago, Xander95 said:

My plan is as follows.  Remove existing hard drive and insert it into a dock on my desktop and run diagnostics on it to check the state of the drive.  If nothing is wrong, I am gonna be installing the OS.  If it still has problems, I'm gonna be installing a new hard drive with a system recovery installed on a partition.  He said the OS was completely installed so I'm betting it's a bad hard drive.  He said the laptop was refurbished but as we all know, people lie to make a buck.  So I'm gonna check the drive and go from there.

Sounds good to me, good luck!