Need help with in-game Movesets

CaptainMetal

So I finished my second playthrough a while ago and now I'm preparing for E16. I already bred a Rotom with good IVs and HP-Ice and right now I work on a Beldum and plan on breeding for a Magnezone, too. The only problem I have is that I don't know how to build them right now. Rotom, for example, can neither learn Will-O-Wisp nor Volt Switch in-game, so the standard build is unusable. For Metagross I would go the bulky route with max HP and Atk with Bullet Punch, Zen Headbutt, Meteor Mash and Agility, but I'm still not quite sure about this. Could you please help me with this?

EDIT: What Beldum would you chose? One with 29/26/28/28/20/31 (HP/Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef/Speed) IVs or one with 23/26/28/28/28/31 IVs?

Edited by CaptainMetal

Both are good to use imo. Personally, I would go with the second one due to Metagross's 80 / 130/ 90 bulk already giving it good HP and with the Max HP EV investment, the missing IVs compared to the first Beldum won't matter as much.

I'm with Simon in thinking that the second one looks better.

The moveset you suggested looks pretty solid as well if you're going for a tanky metagross, although I'm not particularly knowledgeable about that play style.

What other Moveset could be viable for Metagross? Since both Atk and SpAtk are pretty high maybe a mixed set with Grass Knot? Or a simple All-Out Attacker with max speed and attack? And what about Rotom, unlike Metagross I don't have the slightest idea on how to build it.

(If it helps these are my current Pokemon: Kingdra, Gardevoir, Archeops, Dragalge, Cofagrigus, Arcanine and Diggersby)

Edited by CaptainMetal

It is possible to run a Mixed set with either a Naive/Naughty nature with moves like Meteor Mash / Psychic / HP Fire / Grass Knot or Bullet Punch. However, since it's hard already to get good IVs for a genderless pokemon, it'll be even harder to get the IV spread needed for HP Fire. And all-out attacker, which is what I run cuz I prefer trying to outspeed everything possible despite the 70 Base Speed, can also work. For that, I would run run Meteor Mash / Zen Headbutt / Bullet Punch / Hammer Arm or Pursuit.

With Rotom, since we don't have the necessary TMs to utilize forms like Rotom-W effectivetly as a bulky mon like used in XY/ORAS OU, you're better off either running a bulky attacker with mainly HP and Speed investment and the rest going to Special Attack or run just an all out attacker Rotom. Movewise, that's really tough since Rotom is really limited. Depending on what form you choose, the three other slots would go to Discharge / Shadow Ball or Hex / Thunder Wave or Confuse Ray.

IMO run the second beldum, and drop either of Bullet Punch or Agility for Hammer Arm. The coverage is great and you need only one way to circumvent the speed issue; either go for Agility or priority, having both is redundant. You can also try Grass Knot with a naive or naughty nature, but it's rather suboptimal when you can just pair Metagross with a Grass type like Roserade and be done with it.

I also approve 100% of your decision to breed for Magnezone. Genderless HP Fire breeding is a nightmare and I warn you about that project, having some, -considerable- experience in that regard.

I know HP Fire on Magnezone is for using it against Steel types trapped with Magnet Pull (mostly Ferrothorn and Scizor in terms of competitive play) but would HP Ground be acceptable, too? I'm asking because I just hatched a Magnemite with 27/26/31/28/14/31, meaning it got HP Ground. I know 14 Sp.Def IVs are not optimal but from what I've read here Analytic is the better choice in-game so I could use some EVs and boost that stat.

Edited by CaptainMetal