College Football

Deleted User

^ It sounds like your just mad because U-Dubb doesn't give their athletes as much free swag. :]

So, this hasn't been a kind year to the SEC. Tenessee and Arkansas dropped games to Big 12 foes, Missouri should have gone to OT against a feisty UConn squad at home (9 to 6?....is this a baseball game?) Bama has a loss now, and the bastion of the conference is now between Ole Miss (who hasn't been near the top for a while.) and LSU, who we're not sure is quite there yet save for the defense, the home venue, and Fournette. The next two candidates are Georgia, who may have only JUST NOW solved a QB issue, and Texas A&M, who I still see as a Big 12 foe.

The Big 10 seems to be very, very, very top heavy. Ohio State should have no problems until Michigan State, and Michigan State should be able to cruise to the OSU game as well. Watch out for Northwestern, who looks really good after their win over Stanford got some praise following the Tree's win over USC, and Michigan, who seems to be finding it's way under Jim Harbaugh - This years Mich-OSU game will be a doozie.

The Big 12 is the deepest conference in talent, with offenses like Texas Tech's and Baylor's running around, as well as hidden defensive gems like West Virginia and Oklahoma State lurking. The first conference game that should be drawing interest in the field of seven "hopefuls" is TCU's visit to Lubbock to take on the upstart Red Raiders. This would normally not be too much of a problem for the Horned Frogs - except their defense has lost FIVE starters to the injury bug, while Tech's capable of staying in shootouts and an 80 point DRUBBING is there to exact revenge for.

The ACC is a confusing conference. Florida State looks to catch a lot of breaks, Clemson looks like the "best" team although hasn't really been tested, and Georgia Tech proved that it wasn't as salty as it should have been.

and the Pac-12 looks to be back to normal following Troy's collapse, with the Ducks leading the flock.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAPPY SATURDAY (...of which, I will get to celebrate little of. Oklahoma has a Bye, and I'm working 9 AM to 6:30PM)

MICHIGAN over Brigham Young (22)*

OREGON (13) over Utah (18)

TENNESSEE over Florida

UCLA (9) over 'Zona (16)

NOBODY (Oklahoma State (24) at Texas).....Seriously, can BOTH of these teams lose?....why does this game even have to exist....ugh...so much ORANGE....EWWWWEWEWEWEWEWEWWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEW....

and the worst game ever since the CRAPPLE CUP (where a one-win Wazzou took on a winless U-Dubb, Sorry Avatar Grima) KANSAS over Rutgers*

* denotes upset picks

so, it was a rough day for my picks yesterday - but there is something that needs to be said.

1 month in - and we have NO IDEA who the four representatives are.

1 month in - and it would seem the year of the SEC is not this year. Vanderbilt and Arkansas fought very closely with Texas A&M and Ole Miss, putting their strength in doubt before losing, which is indicative of not only "top heavy" by also "vulnerability" for some more of the conferences top teams.

1 month in - and perennial contender Oregon found a way to be eliminated from the chase after playing in the biggest game a year ago.

1 month in - and the Big 12 contenders are still 7 deep (yes, Tech lost, but only by three on a godsend play - I almost got a winning record this week.)

1 month in - and we're starting to get a good feeling about Jim Harbaugh's return to Michigan. Their 31-0 shutout of #22 BYU decimated the Cougars remaining hopes of busting the playoff bracket - and after Utah ran the Oregon Ducks out of their own house in Autzen, Michigan's loss to Utah looks mighty forgivable too as the Utes should be a top 15 team at the very least.

2010_HEISMAN_WATCH.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-29%20at%206.30.3

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-29%20at%206.33.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-29%20at%206.32.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-29%20at%206.38.3

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-29%20at%206.37.5

While it's early and we can likely expect all of their numbers average out a bit, Leonard Fournette, in my personal opinion is the front runner followed closely by Trevone Boykin. Then a trio of Quarterbacks. After this you could name about 10-15 other potential candidates. Kessler may have been higher were USC not the only one of these 5 teams to have a loss in the early goings of the season, even if it's to a very solid Stanford team.

Next Games:

Leonard Fournette- VS

2553915_mktg_logo.png

The Eastern Michigan Eagles are by far the worst rushing defense in the entire country giving up 373 rushing yards per game and 18 TDs over their first four games. The next worse team would be Idaho coming in at a 'mere' 314 yards per game. If my some miracle Fournette winds up playing this entire game, I would be in the slightest bit surprised to see him go for over 300 himself with 3+ TD's. He'll likely hold this top spot through the week.

Trevone Boykin- VS

university-of-texas-longhorns-logo-13107

Ah the Longhorns, they just find ways to lose. :) - Out of the 128 teams in the FBS, Texas ranks 115th in terms of opposing Quarterback ratings, and with this game being at home, expect Boykin's video game like numbers to continue to rise quickly.

Cody Kessler- VS

washington-logo-300x300.png

U-DUB comes in at 24th in the nation in opposing Quarterback rating. They are a... respectable team having lost to 24 Cal (Golden Bears) and Boise State, winning their other two easier games. Expect Kessler to have a good to darn good game, but it'd surprise me if he had a field day against the Huskies.

Baker Mayfield- VS

West_Virginia_Flying_WV_logo.svg_.png

Two teams that like to score a lot of points. However, the Mountaineers come in ranking 2nd in the nation in opposing passer rating at an incredibly low low price of $19.95 78.6 (having an NFL equivalent of 37.1). Only giving up 2 Touchdowns on the season while taking it away through the air more times per game than anyone else in the country thus far with 9 interceptions through 3 games. Fortunately for Baker, the game is at home and OU ain't no Georgia Southern or Liberty. This'll likely be one of the tougher matchups Baker faces this season, but he very well may pull through.

Seth Russell- @

246px-Texas-Tech-University-logo.png

Texas Tech may be performing quite well this season and the game may be on the road, but this will likely be one of the highest scoring shootouts of the season. With the Red Raiders scoring nearly 54 points per game, and DAAAAA Bears scoring 64 a game, that bodes well for anyone who likes offense and juicy stats. Rest assured Heisman candidates and voters do. Texas Tech comes in at 110th in the nation in opposing passer rating. So long as Baylor comes out with the W, expect Seth Russell to climb in the Heisman ranks.

Heisman game picks.

Fournette > Oopsilanti, Michigan - that poor defense is going to get trashed, and Fournette knows how to make it look as bad as humanly possible.

Boykin > Teasips - The Longhorns have the defense to pester Boykin...a little, and Texas' Offense isn't that bad. The X Factor in the ball game will be if Texas can outscore Boykin and the rest of the Toads' offense, and I don't think it's likely.

Kessler >= U-Dubb - The Huskies have been battle tested this year, but like I said last week "It's too early for the Trojans to be considered for elimination." This doesn't mean Washington is out of it though. This will be a good Pac-12 game.

Mayfield = 'Eers - Baker is going to need some help from his running game in this one. Last season, WVU looked to be in control at home until an Alex Ross kickoff return fired up the Sooners and brought the momentum to a man named Samaje Perine. Oklahoma has the running game to offset the Mountaineers' incredible pass defense, and this battle of what should be ranked teams is the next obstacle in Mayfields way to the Heisman. This game will help determine if he -really- should be on the list.

Russell > Sand Aggy - The Red Raiders are fielding a very porous defense and the Boogs are the most lethal offense in the nation. This will be a race between Russell's throwing arm and that of opposing QB Patrick Mahomes, and the difference in the ball game will be that Baylor's defense may have turned the corner in it's lockdown of Rice last week. Last week, Texas Tech was a safe pick for an upset. They're not this week.

We have a trio of ranked matches and a few sprinklings of good conference opening play this week.

#23 West Virginia at #15 Oklahoma - NORMAN, OK - 11:00AM Central Time - Fox Sports 1

Saturday morning kicks off with a battle of ranked clubs right off the bat. The Mountaineers will be sneaking into this game with their defense allowing less yards per game than Oklahoma's hoping to start an October run that includes FOUR currently ranked teams. Oklahoma will be donning it's home "Rough Riders" uniforms for this one, preparing to host it's first nationally relevant home game of the 2015 season. There's an upset alert alarm going off somewhere - as the Sooners will need break through West Virginia's defense in hopes of outscoring the opposing offense.

# 13 Alabama at # 8 Georgia - ATHENS, GA - 2:30PM Central Time - CBS

This will be a battle of tailbacks between Derrick Henry and Nick Chubb between the hedges on Saturday afternoon. Alabama will need to solve it's passing woes if it hopes to overcome the "Underdog" card that it hasn't had in a very long time. Georgia QB Greyson Lambert will play X-Factor in this one, looking to give Chubb the room he needs to secure the win at home.

# 3 Ole Miss at # 25 Florida - GAINESVILLE FL - 6:00PM Eastern Time - ESPN

The Gators are in the top 25 after an improbable four-and-oh run prior to Tennessee's second choke job of the year. Ole Miss will be facing yet another ranked test on the road in defense of it's championship chase.

---

Minnesota at # 16 Northwestern - EVANSTON, IL - 11:00 AM - Big Ten Network

This game features a 3-1 team whose lone loss is to a team currently sitting in the playoff bracket (TCU) and a team with wins over Duke and Stanford to reach a thus-far undefeated record.

Texas Tech vs # 5 Baylor - ARLINGTON, TX - 2:30PM - ABC/ESPN2

The Red Raiders will try to put a miraculous game-losing catch behind them as the rival Bears will look to start of their quest of a third straight Big 12 title.

# 21 Mississippi State at # 14 Texas A&M - COLLEGE STATION, TX - 6:30PM Central Time - SEC Network

The Aggies will christen newly-renovated Kyle Field with it's first ranked match-up against a State team that is looking to rebound further after a crucial win over Auburn. Maroon everywhere you look in this one.

# 6 Notre Dame @ # 12 Clemson

This "somewhat" ACC match-up pits a battered Golden Domer squad on the road up against it's biggest test yet. Clemson may be the highest I've ever recalled seeing them ranked, and with a win they would pass up Florida State (who plays Wake Forest this week) as the ACC's best team.

Arizona at # 18 Stanford

The Tree will be looking to defend the Farm from a 'Zona squad that is looking to rebound from their primetime thumping againt UCLA last week.

Houston at Tulsa

The American Conference has a couple of teams on Saturday that are squaring off with decent records - with the lone loss of the two schools coming to a ranked foe (Oklahoma). Houston comes into the game with a win over Louisville.

aLJj8a3.png

Few things. The 26 - 50 spots are a tentative pool of potential Top-25 Candidates. This means that if you don't see a team you think is at least in the top 50 (like UDUBB potentially) it's not necessarily because that team doesn't deserve to be there - but that I am using a semi-well constructed metric past rank 25. Nobody gives a damn about the next quarter of teams anyway - and if Washington were to say, continue trending upward by beating Oregon this week (entirely plausible), the Huskies would go from unranked to potentially on the doorstep for the 25 or even -IN- it. Changes below the top 25 -WILL- be somewhat erratic.

Down to my rankings analysis

• The Ohio State Buckeyes are this year's Florida State - merely surviving each and every week in games they should be able to control, hence, they are -currently- not in my top 4 as there are other teams that are undefeated with better game control showings and better resumes ahead of them.
  • The Associated Press Poll had SIX teams garnering first place votes, from Ohio State to Texas A&M - who didn't even play last week. Number 1 is still wide open.
  • Another seemingly disrespected team in my poll is LSU. Florida seems to have a more capable offense as a whole - but the Tigers play them this week.
  • Temple, Memphis, Toledo, and Boise State are in the running for the Group of Five representation on New Years.
  • Drop outs from the previous week: Georgia, Cal, Navy
  • Oklahoma, at 22, fell 13 spots in my poll after losing to Texas.

aLJj8a3.png

Few things. The 26 - 50 spots are a tentative pool of potential Top-25 Candidates. This means that if you don't see a team you think is at least in the top 50 (like UDUBB potentially) it's not necessarily because that team doesn't deserve to be there - but that I am using a semi-well constructed metric past rank 25. Nobody gives a damn about the next quarter of teams anyway - and if Washington were to say, continue trending upward by beating Oregon this week (entirely plausible), the Huskies would go from unranked to potentially on the doorstep for the 25 or even -IN- it. Changes below the top 25 -WILL- be somewhat erratic.

Down to my rankings analysis

• The Ohio State Buckeyes are this year's Florida State - merely surviving each and every week in games they should be able to control, hence, they are -currently- not in my top 4 as there are other teams that are undefeated with better game control showings and better resumes ahead of them.
  • The Associated Press Poll had SIX teams garnering first place votes, from Ohio State to Texas A&M - who didn't even play last week. Number 1 is still wide open.
  • Another seemingly disrespected team in my poll is LSU. Florida seems to have a more capable offense as a whole - but the Tigers play them this week.
  • Temple, Memphis, Toledo, and Boise State are in the running for the Group of Five representation on New Years.
  • Drop outs from the previous week: Georgia, Cal, Navy
  • Oklahoma, at 22, fell 13 spots in my poll after losing to Texas.

49 bothers me

UW beat an equally reeling USC team. The trend with Oregon and USC suggests that they weren't as good rather than Wazzu and UDubb being that great.

The other side of the coin was UDubb losing to Boise State. While you guys might rate that USC team with more respect than I do, You can notice that Oregon is not in my top 50 and that the Trojans are barely hanging on at 42.

Like I said, UDubb beats Oregon, they could even end up in my top 25. The Huskies are sitting just above .500 and a loss to the Ducks wouldn't be impressive in the slightest. Lots to gain. Lots to lose.

UW beat an equally reeling USC team. The trend with Oregon and USC suggests that they weren't as good rather than Wazzu and UDubb being that great.

The other side of the coin was UDubb losing to Boise State. While you guys might rate that USC team with more respect than I do, You can notice that Oregon is not in my top 50 and that the Trojans are barely hanging on at 42.

Like I said, UDubb beats Oregon, they could even end up in my top 25. The Huskies are sitting just above .500 and a loss to the Ducks wouldn't be impressive in the slightest. Lots to gain. Lots to lose.

same with the Cougs playing Cal

• 2 weeks later...

This week is a rather soft week around the College Football universe with only one ranked contest to boot - With Texas A&M playing Ole Miss this Saturday. Both programs are reeling after losing to Alabama and Memphis respectively, but with both teams having only one conference loss, their SEC West title hopes are still very much alive.

The marquee Big 12 contest this week is being played in Oklahoma, where Baker Mayfield and the Sooners will host his former school in Texas Tech. Oklahoma will get to see a pass-first offense for the first time since playing Tulsa non-conference - a team that absolutely torched them through the air. The Red Raiders will be entering the game with a shaky defense of it's own, particularly against the run. Expect points galore in this one.

From the West, this week's Pac-12 games are interesting games in which Los Angeles schools USC and UCLA are FAVORITES over #3 Utah and #20 Cal, both being unranked.

The ACC has a couple of interesting games in Clemson's visiting Miami, as well as Florida State heading to a Georgia Tech team that has tapered off greatly, but still will be a difficult test due to defending the triple option.

and this weeks sleepy Power 5 conference is the Big 10, with Michigan State playing Indiana and Ohio State heading to Rutgers.

• 2 weeks later...

LSU at Bama - CMON TIGERS.

FSU at Clemson - ....I can't believe I'm saying this...but Let's Go Noles?....*goes to wash her mouth out with soap*

TCU at Oklahoma State - Horned Frogs

It's finally November. The CFP rankings are beginning to be released TODAY. and this weekend is officially #ShowdownSaturday after two weeks where we have lots of "meh" matchups.

Few Thoughts:

- The Temple Owls deserved to remain ranked after taking Notre Dame to the brink.

- Duke got only half back when the ACC suspended the officiating crew following it's loss to Miami, as there is a high probability the Hurricanes should have lost that game.

- You know what Iowa State has done that Oklahoma hasn't? BEAT TEXAS. The Sooners better be awake for this one, because looking at common opponent in that instance makes the Cyclones DEMAND respect. With a tilt in Waco looming next week, this one at home has trap game written all over it.

LSU at Bama - CMON TIGERS.

FSU at Clemson - ....I can't believe I'm saying this...but Let's Go Noles?....*goes to wash her mouth out with soap*

TCU at Oklahoma State - Horned Frogs

It's finally November. The CFP rankings are beginning to be released TODAY. and this weekend is officially #ShowdownSaturday after two weeks where we have lots of "meh" matchups.

Few Thoughts:

- The Temple Owls deserved to remain ranked after taking Notre Dame to the brink.

- Duke got only half back when the ACC suspended the officiating crew following it's loss to Miami, as there is a high probability the Hurricanes should have lost that game.

- You know what Iowa State has done that Oklahoma hasn't? BEAT TEXAS. The Sooners better be awake for this one, because looking at common opponent in that instance makes the Cyclones DEMAND respect. With a tilt in Waco looming next week, this one at home has trap game written all over it.

Picking Bama. It feels inevitable that the SEC is going to rip itself to shreads. I cant' see Bama losing twice at home in one year.

Clemson, they finally get over that hump and don't choke in a big game.

TCU in yet another shootout.

Fun Fact, both the Big 10 and Big 12 have 3 team at 7-0 or better.

As of right now, your one seed is Clemson. This is a fair assessment. Clemson has everything you could ask for right now. They're undefeated, they have playmakers on offense AND defense, and they have quality wins.

The second best team at this point, according the college football committee, is LSU. If the SEC ended perfectly in my eyes, the LSU Tigers are the SEC champion this season. Supposedly, Brandon Harris is becoming a better passer. Leonard Fournette is still Leonard Fournette, and Les Miles still knows how to coach defense. This week, the Bayou Bengals are immediately at risk of falling out of the bracket, headed to Tuscaloosa to take on four seed Alabama - a team the committee respects enough to put above several other undefeated teams.

The three seed is Ohio State.

Next 2 Up - Notre Dame, Baylor

The committee liked what they saw from the other contest the Irish played in - against Temple - even if the once-hapless Owls made it a four quarter affair that was very much in doubt with 5 minutes on the game clock. The only loss the Irish have is to the comittee's number one team in Clemson.

Baylor seems to have gotten shafted to me - but it's really no surprise. The Bears didn't go out of their way to challenge anybody non-conference, and as such as low as SIXTH. Coach Briles and AD Ian McCaw have to hope that Baylor continues their style of play against the gauntlet that is their remaining schedule - which will help along with teams above them losing - but if Notre Dame doesn't fall again, the Bears could be in trouble even IF they win out, it seems like.

As of right now, your one seed is Clemson. This is a fair assessment. Clemson has everything you could ask for right now. They're undefeated, they have playmakers on offense AND defense, and they have quality wins.

The second best team at this point, according the college football committee, is LSU. If the SEC ended perfectly in my eyes, the LSU Tigers are the SEC champion this season. Supposedly, Brandon Harris is becoming a better passer. Leonard Fournette is still Leonard Fournette, and Les Miles still knows how to coach defense. This week, the Bayou Bengals are immediately at risk of falling out of the bracket, headed to Tuscaloosa to take on four seed Alabama - a team the committee respects enough to put above several other undefeated teams.

The three seed is Ohio State.

Next 2 Up - Notre Dame, Baylor

The committee liked what they saw from the other contest the Irish played in - against Temple - even if the once-hapless Owls made it a four quarter affair that was very much in doubt with 5 minutes on the game clock. The only loss the Irish have is to the comittee's number one team in Clemson.

Baylor seems to have gotten shafted to me - but it's really no surprise. The Bears didn't go out of their way to challenge anybody non-conference, and as such as low as SIXTH. Coach Briles and AD Ian McCaw have to hope that Baylor continues their style of play against the gauntlet that is their remaining schedule - which will help along with teams above them losing - but if Notre Dame doesn't fall again, the Bears could be in trouble even IF they win out, it seems like.

it seems the comittee has always had a hard on for Bama

I think my biggest gripe with the playoff rankings is Baylor being left out and Ohio State being put in when Jeff Long supposedly is citing strength of schedule as a metric thus far, and another metric was conference championships - which have yet to be determined, making strength of schedule a lofty 50% important in these initial rankings -IF- consistency was present.

Virginia Tech -is- a more impressive non-conference game than anyone Baylor has played this season -BUT- this a particularly a season in which there are other teams who are undefeated who have played similar schedules thus far

- TCU

- Michigan State

- Memphis

???

Alabama being in doesn't concern me. They and LSU have a tilt this Saturday and if Bama loses they are officially -out- of contention. If they win, they will quite clearly have the sexiest schedule among one-loss programs.