Surge Story: Chapter 2- "GAOWS" [Completed IC Thread]

Sutoratosu

*The Date is March 18, 2062. the current time is approximately 08:19 hours. Nine minutes prior, Squadron Fox 1, under the command of Staff Sergeant Matthew Douglas Surge, was deemed to be fully competent in issuing combat orders to the strange creatures inhabiting the world, codenamed as GAO, or "Genetically Altered Organism". The second portion of the Evaluation is due to begin at 09:00 hours. Staff Sergeant Surge has dismissed his squadron to their leisure until such time. the group has been left standing shortly inside the East-facing gate of the Military complex denoted as "Fort Bexly" a genetic testing and special forces training area located in the heart of a Forest bearing the same name.*

Erick looked at his fellow cadets following both Ray and Surge dismissing them and walking away.

"Well, I don't know about you guys... but I've got some things to take care of."

With that, the young man walked off after Ray as he proceeded to Command Central, his metallic GAO, a species named "Beldum" floating through the air behind him, his black and grey cadet uniform vest rippling as a cold wind picked up and blew dust off the path way crisscrossing the base and sending it swirling into the air.

*Flurries begin to fall from the cloudy sky before long, landing on the frigid ground and sticking, slowly accumulating. as more and more fall*

((This is a leisure period. you may determine what your character will do with the time allotted to them before the second portion begins. the host will be interjecting at various points to remind of the time remaining, However. any action by the Host in response to a post will be done as necessary.))

Edited by Surge

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small smirk grew on Clint's face. Over the past few months free time was a rare thing to come by and his partners were still in pretty good shape after his battle with Erick.

Clint reached in to his pocket pulling out both a pack of cigarettes and one of the GAO balls as he'd grown to call them. With a flick of his wrist the ball hit the ground releasing the mighty Pimparella. "See you clowns later, me and Pimparella are going for a ride," he called out playfully, to no one in particular. The huge snake strolled over to Clint and laid its massive head down. Clint mounted, while lighting the cigarette. "Hee-yah!" He screamed out and the snake began to take off in the direction of the open field where they had spent there first day.

Edited by Supernovae

Supernovae

Corporal Niles stood in the guard tower by the base's main entrance, able to see his breath in the falling temperature.

"It's colder than a Witch's teat out here!" called Renly, the young Private who had been assigned to man the guard tower this shift along with Niles. he turned and looked to the younger man, who was barely out of his teens, not even old enough to drink yet.

"Shut it, Private. Your duty is to monitor and man these towers... not complain about the temperature." with that, he noticed a large moving object in the distance, heading towards the gate. He brought his binoculars to his eyes, seeing a large Rock snake with an individual in Grey and Black clothing; a Cadet, riding atop it as if the thing were a horse.

As the rocksnake and cadet drew nearer, Niles reached for the controls for the built in loudspeaker- system atop the towers, pulling the mic to his mouth and bellowing, the speakers amplifying his voice.

"Halt and state your business here, Cadet!!"

Edited by Stratos

"Halt and state your business here, Cadet!!"

Clint looked over to the guard tower that the shout came from. "Just doing a little training with my GAO's sir!" he shouted back to the man who had asked the question.

Clint had gotten used to military talk over the past few months, he didn't like addressing people as sir, but he'd gotten over it. However, he was still confused as to how the ranking system really worked, so in order to avoid trouble that he didn't need, he called everyone sir. "The field is the best place to train my GAO's since Pimparella here, tends to destroy everything in sight, so I prefer to keep her outside." Clint then let out a little smile. "You know cause she's a woman." With that the huge Onix through Clint off of her and angrily started to slither away.

"Aww come on baby!" Clint called to the giant Onix as it stormed into the field past the guard tower. Clint quickly recovered himself and yelled back to the guard tower, "We shouldn't be here too long, maybe just an hour or so, I have target practice later," he called back to the guard tower as he chased after the massive snake.

"We'd best get ready for the next part of the Evaluation. Good luck to all of us."

Kenny then turned to his GAOs.

"Well done back there, you two. Let's get you healed up."

He then headed over towards the Command Lobby, his GAOs following close behind him.

Lionel looked at Shadow and Buddy. "Let's get you healed guys. After that...we will have some training. I don't want to insult you two, but I'm surprised we passed. Both of you battled very well on his own, but we need to work as a team. I mean, the only team attack we worked on was shrugged off as if it was nothing!" Shadow was weak, but he had still enough power to glance angrily at Buddy. Buddy regained his lazy state. Lionel turned back to the other cadets. "If someone's looking for me, I'm at the healing machine."

Sid was siting and shuffling with his deck of cards, he notice horsea all curl-up as it gains consciousness from that Nidorina's vicious mule kick. "Hey smoke, feeling better?" as Horsea shuts its eyes and went back to sleep, "I guess not..." he sighed. "well better get you fix you and Vicious here." He gets up and carry the injured seahorse and went wondering around the camp.

Edited by typhlosionrulez

Supernovae

Niles watched emotionlessly as the cadet explained his plan to head to Clearing Echo1 in order to train his GAO... then in amusement as the thing threw it's handler off it's back, obviously insulted by what he had said, the young man beginning to chase after it as it slithered off.

"We shouldn't be here too long, maybe just an hour or so, I have target practice later,"

Niles let out a slight chuckle, his breath showing as a cloud of steam in the now frigid air.

He put the mic down and turned back to Renly.

"He won't be coming back here anytime soon, I don't think."

With that, he resumed guard duty, the younger man standing beside him, shivering.

"Alright, now that you two are fixed, we can start our training." He put both of his GAOs in their balls, and started looking for a good place to practise, while thinking about eventual new strategies. Buddy's mind attack could help in a team combo attack, but it's inaffective on Shadow... Argh, this is just too difficult! These two can't make a decent combination! While lost in thought, Lionel walked farther and farther away from the camp.

After Sid treats his GAO , Sid notice that guy with the crow from before wondering further and further. He quickly catches up to him and tap his shoulders "Hey you're Lionel right? isn't it a bit chilly in here... what are you doing here?" he shivers and rub his two hands together.

Edited by typhlosionrulez

Jory sighed and picked up his capsules. Better bring these two to get healed, he reasoned, heading off toward the medical center.

After healing his partners Logan went for a little walk as he recalled the previous battle. He was content with the way Crush listened and battled, but Ace was a different story. When the ground collapsed Logan stepped back while Crush tucked into its shell, but Ace got caught because of his unnecessary movements. It would’ve worked if they were battling in the forest or something but not on a plain field. And no matter how Logan tried to form simulations, he couldn’t find a way out. The commands he was about to give, before the general interrupted, would’ve let to a one on one battle between Crush and Ryu. Logan didn't care much about the battle, but analyzing and simulating was his way to try and protect his partners in the future.

“I don’t like it when you or Ace gets hurt,” Logan said to Crush who was walking next to him. “Your style suits me; focus on defensive and dish out.” He stared at Ace’s capsule. “Maybe I should focus on his speed and dodging…”

Lionel nearly got a heart attack when someone tapped on his shoulder. He quickly turned around and saw Sid. "Oh. It's only you, Sid." Only now he realised how cold it was. "Now that you mention it...it's really cold here. Training for Shadow might be quite hard... Oh right, I forgot to tell you why I'm here. My team combos aren't that well, and we're here to practise them."

Clint was now closing in on the disgruntled Onix and as he got closer he reached into his pocket. "Come on Pimparella, I was just kiddin'!" Clint let out with a huge grin on his face, the situation was quite humorous to him. "And besides," Clint began pulling out the hidden item in his pocket, "I'm sure you don't want to get sprayed." The Onix stopped, fear crossing it's face and turned to look at it's master. Clint now held a small spray bottle. "Now are you going to be a good girl Pimparella?" The Onix looked down, with a mix of humiliation and fear in it's face, then nodded.

"That's a good girl!" Clint let out, as he tossed Rocky's ball next to the massive snake. In an instant the tiny Tyrogue appeared. "Now look you guys, you did good against Erick," Clint began eyeing up his monsters with a bit of passion. "But good isn't good enough. I expect the best out of you two." The Tyrogue looked at his master appreciatively it loved training and was excited. However, the massive Onix looked less interested it knew it would have to face the small fighter, which it could easily defeat.

"Alright Pimparella, since Rocky here hasn't beaten you yet, let's give him the first hit." The Onix nodded then slithered in to a more upright position. "Rocky, give it your best Jump Kick." The Tyrogue smirked and started dashing forward jumping in to the air at the massive stone wall.

And the hit landed, moving the gigantic beast backwards a few inches and causing it to writhe out in pain. "Nice one Rocky!" He exclaimed, that was easily the best hit he had landed on Pimparella thus far. "Now Pimparella retaliate with a rock throw." The Onix lazily reared back and tossed a stone at the tiny fighter.

The rock flew through the air aimed directly at the Tyrogue. "Come on Rocky," Clint let out, hoping his tiny fighter would put up a better fight this time than it had before. However, instead of dodging Rocky lunged forward at the Rock and ... began spinning against it. However, this technique proved vastly ineffective as the fighter was flung backward and on to the ground.

Clint smacked himself in the face, a bit of frustration building. "Rocky! Why do you always do that!" He yelled at the tiny fighter. It had seemed no matter how hard Clint tried to get the Tyrogue to focus on kicking or boxing it always felt the need to spin around like a damn idiot. "You're not gonna beat Ace like that!"

"Uhh, come on back," Clint sighed while returning the tiny fighter to it's sphere, then he turned to the victor of the match. "You ready to head back and get healed up Pimparella?" he asked the massive snake. The snake again nodded, it's frustration with it's master seemingly gone. Then Clint remounted the snake and headed back towards base.

"whoa easy there, i didn't meant to startle you... "as Sid backs away a few inch. "combo you say...mind if i see it? since it's kinda dull back there in the fort and i got nothing better to do."

Lars had finished healing his GAOs before walking outside again. He had run them both through the machine, despite Dominance being the only one who appeared to have been injured. He had figured it was a good idea, considering that he had no idea how taxing Sleepy's mind powers were, especially for such a small guy. As he exited the building, he could feel the chill in the air. It wasn't unconfortable, considering that he had his black coat on again, but it was still noticeable. The ground was covered in a thin layer of the snow that still fell from the sky. It was quite beautiful, actually, when he thought about it. It inspired him to draw, though he unfortunately didn't have his sketchpad on him. He walked to a more remote area of the woods, sitting on a large rock. He released his GAOs. Sleepy, as usual, went to his lap, while Dominance sat beside him. He ran a hand over the back of the rabbit-like creature, being careful to avoid the tips of the poisonous spines. Dominance made a sort of purring noise as he did so.

"Well, it seems you're starting to trust me, huh?" he muttered, still stroking the GAO. "You did awesome in that battle, by the way. You protected Sleepy and established yourself as quite a powerhouse." He smiled. "Even Jory's Nefertiti appeared to have learned a thing or two from watching you." The Nidoran raised its chin in pride. It was quite a magnificent creature, actually. When they got back to the bunks, he decided he would sketch the both of them, before he lost the chance by them changing form like so many of the other GAOs had. He decided that his sketches would be a chronicle of their evolution, so that he might always remember where they had come from, no matter where they ended up.

"Yeah, kinda" Sid remove his cap and scratch his head "I wouldn't say we won considering my GAO is in pretty bad shape after that,but atleast we pass.. that last minute evolution change the match tho." he sighed. "just utilize your GAO's strength or its best trait. maybe you'll think of something when they change form, well don't wanna get in your way. you do what do pal i'm going inside. take easy now." Sid walks back to the fort.

Erick leaned against a tree in the atrium of central command, fresh snow shone reflectively off the frigid ground. it seemed even colder here compared to other places on the base. He had no idea why Ray had insisted they come up here after Erick had requested to see him at the desk in the Command lobby...

But it was the only way Ray would agree to speak with him, And with his Trial success in jeopardy, he really couldn't refuse.

Ray stood over on a ledge over hanging a now frozen pound. he continued speaking, not looking in Erick's direction for some reason... he meant it to seem as if It was a subconscious action, but Erick could tell that Ray was doing this deliberately... the guy wasn't very good at hiding body language.

"I'm afraid I can't do anything to help you, Erick..." Ray said simply, his eyes gazing out onto the surface of the frozen pound, seemingly lost in this world of snow and ice.

Erick pushed the conversation further, refusing to let it end as simply as that

"But you saw what she did... I know you did, you were barely ten feet away."

Ray again tried to be evasive.

"What makes you think I saw anything?"

Erick was beginning to get agitated. He felt certain that he'd need his partners co-operation to pass the rest of the Evaluation... but with Genisa pretty much refusing to even acknowledge him at the moment, that was easier said than done... and here was Ray, the one guy who Erick was sure could help him with the issue, and yet he was just trying to turn Erick away with pathetic, evasive answers... he spoke up, his voice rising a little

"Don't you give me that bull shit..." He said, a bit of an edge in his voice

"I know you saw it. I saw the look on your face as you stood there staring in anticipation."

Ray didn't say anything at this...Erick gave out a sigh of frustration, then turned and started walking back to the elevator, turning around to look at Ray as he pressed the call button.

"You know," He began "If you were just gonna give me these half ass excuses you call answers, then you should've told me up front... instead of dragging my ass all the way up here in the freezing cold." the toll sounded as the doors opened, Erick took a step onto the Elevator, when Ray's voice rang out.

"Come back here." he said simply, still not even looking at Erick.

Erick reluctantly turned away from the doors of the Elevator and walked back over to Ray, standing beside him. the good Doctor spoke once again.

"Come here beside me, and tell me what you see on this pond, and then I'll help you out with this issue with Genisa Algara."

Deciding to simply take the Doctor at his word, Erick stepped onto the ledge beside him, staring out at the pond. the snow was still falling, piling up on the frozen surface and coating everything white as ash.

"What are you talking about?" Erick asked, again Irritated, it seemed like Ray was just wasting his time after all.

"I don't see anything on this pond except for snow."

Ray pointed at something moving just above the ponds surface. Ethic looked to where the other man had pointed, and after a few moments, noticed the movement as well.

"Whoa..." Erick said, gasping at what he saw

"What the hell is that thing...?"

*approximate time till second part of Evaluation: 27 minutes 32 seconds*

Edited by Stratos

If he was honest, Lionel was happy Sid left. Since the day he got his GAOs, Lionel became a lot more sociable, but now he needed to be alone with his team. He had been trying to practise, but all the combinations he used were simply not working. The fact that Shadow hated cold wasn't helping either. Buddy didn't seem too bothered by it. "Sorry Shadow, but this is not working," Lionel said as he recalled his crow, "it seems like it's only us now, Buddy." He looked at his Slowpoke. What possible strategy can I use with him? "Buddy, can you-" While he wasn't paying attention, the hippo just fell asleep. "Argh!"

Edited by Bibarel

Bibarel

Private Remus leaned against the wall, watching with a little amusement as a cadet tried in frustration to apparently train his team. He glanced over at the hippo like creature napping at the other young man's feet, his amusement fading at that moment.

Good God... He thought to himself

Feel kinda sorry for the guy now... he got pegged with one of those stupid hippo things just like I did when I first got here...

He glanced down at the Capsule containing one of his two partners, a GAO species called slowbro... then at the old air horn he had used to train his own Hippo creature... it had still been pretty much useless because it had insisted on sleeping a lot... but at least he could get some conditioning in... and that was more than this cadet was able to now without it...

sympathetic, he reached down and grabbed the air horn from his belt, taking a sharpie out of his uniform's breast pocket and writting:

I feel your pain... damn Slowpokes don't know when to wake up and actually work.

Use this to wake the little bastard... and keep using it every time he falls asleep again.

Satisfied the message was ambiguous enough not to give clues as to who wrote it, Remus laid the air horn on the ground and rolled it over to Lionel, the canister rolling across the soft packed snow and nudging the sole of Lionel's boot. Remus looked at his watch, checking the time.

08:24... Time for me to go take over shifts for Renly on Guard duty... know he'll be glad about it...that guy's a complete wuss when it comes to the cold...

he turned away from the Cadet and walked off in the direction of the Guard towers by the Main Gate to the base.

Lionel looked down at the sleeping Slowpoke. "What am I going to do with you?" Then he felt something that rolled against his left boot. Is that a...flute? And a note? He quietly read the note, then looked around. There was no one in sight. "Hm...might as well try to use it." Even though his lips were freezing and his hands were ice cold, he put the flute to his mouth and played a melody. He had never played any instrument before, but it seemed as if this one didn't require any skill. As if it made the music on his own. As the soft music vibrated through the area, Buddy abruptly awoke and looked lazily at Lionel. "Alright, now we can wrap up this session."

Out in the open field the snow was beginning to build up, and the Onix was reacting harshly to the cold. With each passing moment the Onix was starting to move slower and slower until suddenly a massive roar came from the beast.

"Oh come on Pimparella!" Clint cried out from on top of the great stone snake, "Don't give out on me now!" But despite his protests, the Onix couldn't keep going, the moisture from the snow had proven too much for it. The Onix let out a massive roar and collapsed in to the snow. Clint reacted quickly jumping off the behemoth and quickly recalling it in to it's container.

"Well shit," Clint sighed looking down the field. They had traveled quite some way, through the snow the guard post was barely visible, but Clint figured it was at most a few hundred yards off. "Guess I'll head over there and see if they can't give me a lift back to base," Clint let out, clearly unhappy with the situation he was in.

Edited by Supernovae

Nathan had released his partners earlier, figuring they would want some time to get some fresh air. His Charmeleon was getting quite aggressive, though, and Icarus was starting to follow the larger lizard's lead. It immediately started to strut about territorially, glaring at any living being -GAO or otherwise- that came close. "Alright, you little bastard," Nathan called out. "I'm in charge of you, alright? You're not the boss here, and you're going to start listening to your commanding officer." The flaming reptile gave the response the pilot was expecting; an angry roar. I joined the Air Force so I wouldn't have to do this shit. . . This prompted Nathan to put his "plan" for instilling discipline into action. The soldier tackled the Charmeleon and tried to pin it to the ground, giving his best intimidating growl. Charmeleon responded by trying to throw the man off of himself, and he partially succeeded; the GAO's body packed a lot more power per cubic foot than a human's. Soon enough, the two were locked in a wrestling match, leaving the Bagon momentarily unattended.

Supernovae

Sergeant Wellus looked out of the window of the guard shack as he leaned back in his chair, feet up on the small table in the center of the one room building. it had served as a rest house for Guards waiting for their shifts to begin back when the base was still being built at the start of the virus outbreak on the continent, though the wall surrounding the base was a lot larger now than it was then, so this old place had been relegated to simply being...

an old guard shack that few paid any attention to at all...and the only ones who even noticed it was still here were the Soldiers assigned to guard this section.

Wellus took his feet of the table and got up, heading to the window the get a better look. He thought for a second that he could see somone out in the distance... but why would anyone be out here? This was the very outskirts of the base, where the wall was the lowest and supplemented by a simple barbed wire fence... no one came out here, no one had any real reason to, at least... there was no need for more than two or three guards in this entire section; it faced a river winding through the forest, and as such had been deemed a minimal security concern. The Sergeant squinted a little, this time definitely sure that there was someone out in the snow drift. he went back over to the chair, throwing on his insulated fatigue jacket and black beret, then reaching down next to the table leg and retrieving his rifle, slinging the thing over his left shoulder as he called out up the stairs leading to the small observation tower on the roof of the building...

"John, we got some company out there I'm going to check it out!"

A voice echoed down from the stair case

"Roger, I'll keep Eagle eyes from up here."

With that, Wellus opened the door and stepped out of the shack, taking his rifle of his shoulders and getting it into ready position in his hands as he walked over to meet the figure in the distance, the snow beginning to pick up with the wind as more and more fell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Erick took a step back from the ledge, confused by what he had seen. Ray still stood without moving, then the doctor reached into his labcoat, pulling out a capsule and letting his arm drop to his side as he continued to observe the thing out on the ice...

vanilluxe_by_ultyzarus-d5mty6f.jpg

"so you see it as well?" the Doctor finally asked, breaking the silence

"Yeah... I see something out there..." was all Erick said in response.

Ray turned, a smirk on his face

"Good," he said

"That means that I'm not crazy yet."

With that he took a bounding step backwards and sent the capsule in his hand flying into the air as he hopped off the ledge and back next to Erick, the thing exploded in midair and out came Salem in a burst of white light, the beast roaring as it landed on the icy surface, it's body heat beginning to melt the ice as it realized this and kept itself moving. the thing on the ice turned around and let out a strange, echo distorted howl, apparently unaware of the other beings being in the area until just now.

"Salem!" Called Ray

"Hit it with a burst of flames"

Salem did as Ray ordered, closing in on the thing, it's mouth opened wide as a blast of hot flames issued forth. but the creature had somehow managed to smoothly dodge the attack, positioning itself behind Salem with a surprising speed and unleashing an Ice-Blue ray of energy from it's body, the beam causing Ice to form around Salem's body, encasing the beast as it roared in outrage, trying to turn and attack the creature again, but unable to as the ice completely covered it's Tiger like form.

The hovering creature now turned it's sights on Ray, hovering higher into the air and rushing towards him, closing in fast.

Edited by Stratos