From Everland to Reborn ~ A fairytale themed run [Last defeated: Amaria]

Candy

Which team? Multiple choice allowed but limit to 2 choices :)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. [Insert a question here]

• CHOICE 1
    • CHOICE 2
    • CHOICE 3
    • CHOICE 4
    • CHOICE 5

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, J-Awesome_One said:

Hold on a second... When Candy is in the story, is it just another person or is that you technically? o.O And wow it's been a while since I've been on here. Haha.

Interestingly I was just formatting a new chapter wow

Hmm that's actually a difficult question, because there are just so many "me". Irl with frens, irl with coworkers, online persona here, online persona elsewhere, etc. I'd say this Candy is more like online persona in Reborn with extra bubbliness and less pessimism lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Candy said:

Interestingly I was just formatting a new chapter wow

Hmm that's actually a difficult question, because there are just so many "me". Irl with frens, irl with coworkers, online persona here, online persona elsewhere, etc. I'd say this Candy is more like online persona in Reborn with extra bubbliness and less pessimism lol

Lol. Honestly, I saw that you were on this topic and decided to visit it since it's been a few weeks. xD And ahh. I can dig that. It'd be interesting to see a run of like you in Reborn and how you'd usually react in certain situations. Although, I know that prob won't be happening anytime soon. Haha.

Lol. Honestly, I saw that you were on this topic and decided to visit it since it's been a few weeks. xD And ahh. I can dig that. It'd be interesting to see a run of like you in Reborn and how you'd usually react in certain situations. Although, I know that prob won't be happening anytime soon. Haha.

I don't think I'll be doing another Reborn run, but I might do one like you say for I dunno Rejuvenation, Spork or Clockwork 😛

A non-edgy character in a sea of edginess might be kewl for Rejuv haha

3 minutes ago, Candy said:

I don't think I'll be doing another Reborn run, but I might do one like you say for I dunno Rejuvenation, Spork or Clockwork 😛

A non-edgy character in a sea of edginess might be kewl for Rejuv haha

I think someone like you would be GREAT for Spork. xD And ohh boy. I think i picked a weird person to do for my Special Mono Type Run for Rejuvenation.

• Haha 1

tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gifFrom Everland to Reborn ~ Episode 38tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gif

We ran into another obstacle soon after our successful infiltration of… well whatever this place, with its gaudy walls and pillars, could be called.

Candy, who had but seconds ago been running with enthusiasm had now positioned herself against a wall on the corner of this ante foyer and the main hall, probably to take a glance at the possible guards. She signaled me over with a hand wave, and I walked over to her side.

sWoWp6w.png

“What is it? Is someone coming?” I whispered.

“No, but the place is awfully quiet, and I can’t see anyone around,” she whispered back. “I sense a trap. We should head out and plot something.”

“There’s nothing to plot. You know my only plan is to break through enemies with sheer force.”

“Vanilla, you are still weak from the beating you got hours ago. One session of Heal Pulse isn’t going to perform miracles.”

“Well then,” I acquiesced, and released all six of my current party. I placed an index finger on my lips to prevent them from making noise.

“What are you doing?” Candy reproached.

“Simple. I’ll borrow my team’s strength. Will you be coming with me, Nilla?”

The little firefly looked at Candy and me with quick glances, and made a buzzing noise as she glued herself to my arm.

“Vanilla wait,” I heard Candy said, but I was already into the main hall.

I don’t know what triggered it, but an alarm went off and resounded in the whole place. People in yellowish white robes came rushing in from all three sides, ten or twenty of them on each side. Who would have thought that a deserted place like this would have so many people? When I tried to retreat, Candy was no longer where I’d left her, and instead a group of half a dozen stoutlands came walking, effectively blocking the exit.

When my team and I had taken out around half of the robed men, women and dogs, we were met with still more backups. I had walked into a toy factory that produced infinite replicas of these robed people.

Unsurprisingly, neither my team or Nilla could tank everything, and I was left without active pokemon. I called back all six of my pokemon to their pokeballs, and used the one max revive I had on Nilla. The firefly woke up, but there was nothing to be done.

We became surrounded by the hundreds of expressionless people, and four of them managed to suppress me and tie my hands behind my back. That act brought back memories of a certain idiot who still roamed around these lands.

“Well done. May the Lord’s blessing be bestowed upon all of you for capturing the rowdy trespasser,” I heard an all too familiar voice say as he made his way through the crowd. It was, of course, the blind follower of Arceus.

Elias stopped in front of me. For whatever silly reason, he was wearing sunglasses indoors.

“You are wearing the wrong robes,” he said, pointing at my Pokemon Center clothe. “However, converting into our faith would be much too late for your salvation, in your case.”

“Like I would ever join a religious of maniacs,” I spat on the ground. “You captured a bystander along with your supposed daughter. I have only come to retrieve her.”

Elias raised an eyebrow.

yNPo8Wl.png

“Don’t listen to her, El. She might try to sabotage Luna’s sacred ritual,” another voice said, and soon after Bennett appeared, wearing the same dull robes as the rest.

“Bennett? I thought being a lepidopterist meant you had an intelligent mind, but I see I was mistaken,” I said.

“Do not say a word. I don’t want to hear pointless garbage from a dumb trespasser,” Bennett told me and then turned to Elias. “You know her, El. She is a sinner and therefore a liar. Never trust a word she says.”

“Indeed, thank you for your counsel, Bennett, though I would have reached the same conclusion myself,” Elias nodded. “Fellow brothers, take them to a cell. I will deal with her after the ritual.”

Thus, with that enigmatic sentence and smile, Nilla and I were taken to a cell downstairs.

I sat down on the floor, unsure of what to do next. I had to come up with a way to escape this cell as soon as possible, before the ritual could be over and the religious nut could come down here. Whatever he was planning for me could not be pleasant.

I healed my pokemon with the revives I had, and as soon as they were a little more energized, they jumped on me and Wolfy licked my face.

“Now now, this is no time to be happy. I need your help to escape from here.”

The immediate thought was that my pokemon’s moves combined could help break the cell’s bars, which seemed to be made of regular metal.

I told Anna to heat up the bars, then Elsa to use blizzard on them, Wolfy to send rocks flying onto them, and finally Bambi to charge as quickly as possible with the narrow space we had. Even with all that effort, the bars were not even indented.

“How is that even possible?” I shouted and kicked the damned bars.

“It seems the new prisoner is very noisy,” I heard someone say from the other side of the wall on my right. “I’m trying to read ‘ere, can ya tone it down?”

“Mind your own business. Unlike you, I don’t want to spend my time reading religious junk.”

I heard the person turn a page of a book.

“Well, I don’t think it’s junk. This stuff is hilarious y’know. Makes me wonder what hella special stuff they sniffin’,” the guy sneered. “Anyhow, if ya wanna get outta there, I think I can help ya. I wouldn’t wanna hear ya bumping those pokemon-move-resisting bars for ages.”

With that, the guy slipped his hand between the bars, and sent out a klefki, much like my Key but not shiny.

“My klefki here happened to pick up some sort of master key of the place. Isn’t that hella handy?”

The guy then instructed his pokemon to open my cell and set us free.

“See ya pal,” he said as he returned his klefki into a pokeball.

“By any chance, do you know where I could find two girls who were taken here a little while ago?”

“I heard the guards coming down recently before you, but can’t know for sure it’s those girls ya looking for. I can’t really see much from in here ya know,” shrugged the guy, whom now I could clearly see. “But they went to the other side of the stairs, so ya might wanna inspect the other cells down the hall.”

I nodded and briefly thanked him.

“Vanilla! Nilla!” Shelly called with a much louder voice than I thought her capable of using.

Thankfully, the guards had not done anything but place her in the cell as the klefki guy had suggested. However, Luna was nowhere to be seen, which probably meant that she was being prepared for execution or something by her own lunatic father.

“Wait a moment, Shelly. I’ll go ask this guy to lend me his klefki to set you free.”

87wCKso.png

When that was over and her cell was opened, Shelly ran to me, but stopped before she crashed onto me. Nilla, though, crashed onto Shelly and nuzzled her with way too much energy. The poor girl’s hair became all fluffy from the static.

“I was so scared. I-I didn’t know what t-to do,” the girl wrinkled her forehead.

“It’s all right. Let’s get out of here, shall we?” I turned in place.

Shelly looked down to her feet, and then called at my back.

“Um, they have Luna. Will we, um, go find her?”

“No, I came to help you out, and I have done that. Unfortunately, Luna will be heavily guarded by damned cultists again, so we can’t run the risk of being captured once more.”

“B-but Luna…”

“If anyone, Radomus should be the one coming to get her adoptive daughter, not I. If you think of it optimistically, maybe he’s got something planned like he always does.”

Perhaps that last sentence came about a little too sarcastic, because I could tell Shelly wasn’t buying my argument. In any case, she didn’t dare persuade me into looking for Luna, and we silently headed out of the dungeons.

The floor above was full of roaming cultists, and it was a hell of a trouble to slip through some of them without getting noticed. However, even with all the adrenaline building up on our bodies, we did better than I expected. Nilla was a fast flier, as usual, but Shelly needed more help since her legs were visibly trembling. Even then, she carried her own weight for most of the escape, which I will give her credit for.

We were just about to make it out of the floor, when an unhappy chance encounter with a cultist at a corner made all our efforts go to waste.

Or so I thought.

The cultist that spotted us came running to us, and so did another two behind him - one of which was rather short for the average adult.

“Sister, pray help me bring these prisoners back to their cells,” the cultist told the other two.

p0XZX92.png

“With pleasure. Azalea, use Fake Out!”

The short cultist dropped her robe, exposing herself as a mega-lopunny. The rabbit slapped the cultist in the face with both hands, causing the man to drop unconscious at our feet. He must've fainted more from the scare than the move itself.

“Phew, well done escaping out all by yourselves,” Candy said, smiling. “Good job, Azalea. Return.”

The mega-lopunny hopped with satisfaction and returned to her pokeball.

“Candy? What even. I should’ve known you would do something like this.”

“Did you know that these robes are sold in 7th street for cheap? I would have bought one for you, but I guessed you wouldn’t wear it,” Candy giggled and pushed the robe that her lopunny had been wearing onto Shelly. “But I think you should wear this, so we can look like two cultists taking a prisoner for a walk.”

Shelly was confused.

“Champion Candy? From t-the Hoenn Region?” she stuttered.

“Ex-champion, and now breeder leader in Obsidia Ward!” Candy placed a hand on her forehead as a random salute. “But the questions can wait right? We should go help that child upstairs. I don’t know but she was tied to a large table with chains!”

Shelly gasped.

“That’s p-probably…”

“Luna. I guess I can’t ever do anything without you twisting my plans, can I?” I threw shade at my cousin, who just laughed it off.

“Ah, the tsundere as always,” she said and pressed her index finger on my nose. “But I know you love me for twisting your plans too. Now, let’s go on an adventure, comrades!”

As simple as Candy’s plan of disguising Shelly as herself as cultists was, it proved pretty effective. No one suspected us when they saw us, which was upsetting even though I should have been plainly relieved for their incompetence. It just proved to me once more how blind these religious followers were, and even though I hated to admit it, I pitied them.

I pitied them, and hated Elias even more.

After a few wrong turns with no adverse consequences, we made it to the center of the hall, where we found Luna in chains like Candy had told us.

However, Elias, Luna and Bennett weren’t the only familiar faces in the ritual.

“I expected you would not let our ceremony go on in peace,” Elias grumbled. “But you will not interfere. We have your friend with us, and even the slightest move from you will result in his demise.”

Bennett took a step forward, together with Cain tied up.

“Ugh, if you’re going to have me tied up, at least ask for my safe word,” said Cain, who could always humor us in any situation.

7VKiVNQ.png

“Please stop talking like that,” Bennett said.

“I’m so not taking orders from you. I mean, what is your hair even doing?”

“My time is better spent on studies than perme, thank you.”

“Enough. Do not desecrate this holy place and ritual with your indecorous babbling,” El demanded.

“Sorry sir,” Bennett bowed his head, but shot a disapproving look to Cain.

“Now, let us proceed,” Elias said and opened his arms wide. “Luna, once and for all, we shall cleanse your mind of the taint that is the swine Radomus. You will remember me as your true father. Luna, my daughter, return to the light!”

With that cue, regardless of Luna’s objections, the other cultists along with Bennett started chanting a bunch of foreign language words.

“Let the Lord Arceus fill your soul and your mind.”

“I think that’s about enough of that,” said a male voice I recognized. “Gardevoir?”

Everyone was confused, save for the two who had planned all this out.

“Lights! Camera! Drama~”

l0asJFE.png

Gardevoir appeared out of thin air, and started teleporting all of the cultists, save for Candy and Shelly, who had their hoods off, and the one cultist who approached Elias and grabbed both of his hands. Unfortunately Gardevoir did not make Bennett disappear, for she greeted him as though he were an old acquaintance, and only made him daze a moment to release his grip from Cain.

“Gardevoir, how could you? After all that time we spent living with my mom?”

“Hm? Oh I suppose you lived there too,” Gardevoir shrugged. “I was only there for Luna, of course. You were always shut up in your room. How rude!”

While Gardevoir and Bennett chit-chatted, and Elias tried to resist Radomus’ grip, Cain, Shelly, Candy and I helped Luna to be unchained and get off the high pedestal.

“Thank you, everyone,” Luna whispered.

However, at that moment, Elias slipped through Radomus’ hands and pulled Luna’s emerald brooch from her collar.

lzoaflb.png

“Give that back!” Luna shrieked. “That was a gift from my father!”

“I am your father, little ignorant girl. Now I am taking back what belonged to me in the first place,” Elias shook his head as he slipped the brooch into his pocket.

When the majority stopped talking, only Gardevoir and Bennett’s conversation remained, filling the air with an extra layer of awkwardness. I remembered Bennett’s attitude when he saw me before our status being confirmed as enemies, and later when he had spoken of Luna in the Voclain mansion. For once I could understand why Luna fled Spinel, though I could never get why out of all people, she had to knock on Radomus’ door.

Radomus coughed.

“That’s enough, Gardevoir. No need to torment the poor boy, for he is confused enough already. He must be, if he’s siding with with someone like Elias.”

“Excuse you, I do the Lord’s work,” Elias responded.

“Yes, and I just want what’s best for Luna,” Bennett agreed.

“Oh well, then chain her right up!” Gardevoir rolled her eyes. “Are you kidding?”

Radomus and Gardevoir walked over to join the rest of us. I guessed we would be leaving by teleportation, but Radomus took one last look at Bennett.

“Consider what is truly best for Luna. Ask yourself, is blood a stronger tie of family than those who care for her?”

Everyone held hands, and Gardevoir allowed us to escape the place in the blink of an eye.

VANILLA RATES: REBORN CHARACTERS

Spoiler
  • El (-1): -2/10 he has taken advantage of easily brainwashed people to follow his bullshit cult
  • Bennett (-1): 2/10 what on earth is he thinking, joining this cult sponsored by the enemy?
  • Shelly (+1): 7/10 she was in better shape than expected when I found her, and she didn't pull a leg while escaping
  • Radomus (+1): 2/10 he is dislikeable but I was impressed that he did come to save Luna after all
  • Gossip Gardevoir (+1): 5/10 it was remarkable that she tried to slap some sense into Bennett's brain

QUICK LINK TO NEXT EPISODE

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

On 3/10/2018 at 4:39 PM, SilverHelio said:

Poor Shelly :( 

I hope Vanilla and Charlotte help her overcome her social anxiety... 

I wonder what she really wanted to say when she looked disappointed about something.

So this is like your 2-month-old wonder which I now realized I can answer lol I was looking over Shelly's dialogue because I'm changing it to a more pleasant shade of lilac 😛

Anyhow, if you recall, in Episode 30, Shelly wanted to say something to Vanilla who was leaving Tanzan Cove. Charlotte looked over her from the window, but Shelly ended up not saying what she meant to say... and Vanilla left with Nilla.

What she had meant to say was "Can I come with you?" At that point, she was in the process of getting used to Vanilla- she looked up to her as a dependable figure but at the same time feared her for her straight-forwardness and aggression.

Now, Shelly ended up making up her mind and joined Vanilla in Vanhanen Castle, only to be taken hostage by El and his cult rip

Aww. I was expecting something when Gardevoir was going on on Bennett. Dx Ohh well. IT'S BEEN SOOOO LOOOOONG! But, it was a good Episode. You just keep getting better and better. Can't wait for the next 1.

Hmm I wonder what could be that you expected 🤔 If you are planning to write it on either the James run or Awesome adventure run, don't tell me so I can be pleasantly surprised~ hehe And sowwy, this was a rather difficult episode for me to write because I wasn't sure what to do with Candy and Shelly, and how to make it an interesting read since nothing really happens while you go beating cultists up... but I can't skip over the process of escaping, because that'd make it seem wae too easy lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Candy said:

Hmm I wonder what could be that you expected 🤔 If you are planning to write it on either the James run or Awesome adventure run, don't tell me so I can be pleasantly surprised~ hehe And sowwy, this was a rather difficult episode for me to write because I wasn't sure what to do with Candy and Shelly, and how to make it an interesting read since nothing really happens while you go beating cultists up... but I can't skip over the process of escaping, because that'd make it seem wae too easy lol

I basically meant when Gardevoir said that Bennett was in his room... "thinking" about Luna. Like I was expecting Vanilla to look at him in disgust hearing that or something. Idk. So is Candy staying for a while or is she leaving in the next Episode?

5 minutes ago, J-Awesome_One said:

I basically meant when Gardevoir said that Bennett was in his room... "thinking" about Luna. Like I was expecting Vanilla to look at him in disgust hearing that or something. Idk. So is Candy staying for a while or is she leaving in the next Episode?

Oooh I don't think Vanilla would have thought it weird for him to be thinking about Luna because 1. Luna isn't like Candy, whom Vanilla actually is partial to, and 2. It doesn't seem weird for boys his age to think of the girl he likes. El reacted like "hope that isn't true for your sake" because he's a holy man, but Vanilla isn't like that lol

• Haha 1

I just realized I didn't read the the last chapter, so I had two to catch up on.   

Very good use of an original character if I do say so myself.  I never considered that being in good graces with one of the gangs is the main reason you might have been tolerated in 7th street.....mostly,  but it makes sense in hindsight.   I'll admit that I forgot about in-story Candy's backstory, so her awesomeness came as good surprise/refresher  but don't get too swelled of a head @Candy 😄 lol 

Still, I welcome surprises, so keep them coming.

2 hours ago, Corso said:

So... it seems Candy has a Mega Lopunny CHEATER I'M GOING TO TELL AME!!1!1!!1!!11

Why is the Stoutland in the middle a super saiyan?

And Bennett is great as always

Corso pls Candy is ex-Hoenn Champion (ironic because I never beat Hoenn league lul) so she got her mega ring and stone from Hoenn lul

i thought a shiny stoutland would give a touch of difference in a pool of robed replicas. Shinies in Reborn aren't uncommon anyway~

1 hour ago, seki108 said:

I just realized I didn't read the the last chapter, so I had two to catch up on.   

Very good use of an original character if I do say so myself.  I never considered that being in good graces with one of the gangs is the main reason you might have been tolerated in 7th street.....mostly,  but it makes sense in hindsight.   I'll admit that I forgot about in-story Candy's backstory, so her awesomeness came as good surprise/refresher  but don't get too swelled of a head @Candy 😄 lol 

Still, I welcome surprises, so keep them coming.

Ooo I was afraid the last two episodes would feel disjuncted because there was about two weeks of gap lol

i feel you don't need to belong to a gang, since iirc Candy doesn't belong to one, but it would help in case of Vanilla because she's always picking fights. Candy is welcomed in 7th street because she is kind to everyone and doesn't go punching ppl just because they belittle her 😂

4 hours ago, Candy said:

feel you don't need to belong to a gang, since iirc Candy doesn't belong to one,

And I forgot about the woman there looking for the Oddishweed, who was just an out of place civilian that seemed excited at the prospect of going back.  Wasn't really thinking when I typed that this morning.   

3 hours ago, Candy said:

since iirc Candy doesn't belong to one,

I believe Candy is allowed in Seventh Street without a gang due to a matter of respect. In Reborn’s alleyways, where strength rules, you don’t mess with an ex-champion who has finically backing from her buissness(also a way to maintain strength). They simply let Candy in as a matter of respect and fear in my opinion. Not that they should fear such a cheerful person ofc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArcherEric said:

uwu vanilla is basically shelly's senpai rn

candy has mega lopunny

i wonder what other pokes does she use?

Senpai intensifies

It's a secret (dunno yet if I'll be revealing her team) but if you recall she has Daisy the leavanny and Lily the florges.

Whether or not you already know, Pikachu the Pachirisu is alive.

Evidence: (In the story)

●I thought since Pikachu's death that it didn't actually die, because Vanilla didn't check whether it was breathing or not. And she confirmed (indirectly) that Pikachu didn't die by, if you guys remember, one, important thing someone said: "a Pachirisu who's fur color was changing." 

●Shelly had told Vanilla that Pachirisu's fur color would change for some time, so... the 'someone' might have met the Pachirisu when its fur color was changing back.

●Also, when Vanilla went to Pachirisu's/Pikachu's grave, she noticed a shadow (though it could've been a Mimikyu) near the grave.

●If you guys think about it being buried, well... We never really saw Pikachu the Pachirisu's moveset. Thus, it could know the move used for digging, dig.

2 hours ago, Lost Swordsman said:

Whether or not you already know, Pikachu the Pachirisu is alive.

Evidence: (In the story)

●I thought since Pikachu's death that it didn't actually die, because Vanilla didn't check whether it was breathing or not. And she confirmed (indirectly) that Pikachu didn't die by, if you guys remember, one, important thing someone said: "a Pachirisu who's fur color was changing." 

●Shelly had told Vanilla that Pachirisu's fur color would change for some time, so... the 'someone' might have met the Pachirisu when its fur color was changing back.

●Also, when Vanilla went to Pachirisu's/Pikachu's grave, she noticed a shadow (though it could've been a Mimikyu) near the grave.

●If you guys think about it being buried, well... We never really saw Pikachu the Pachirisu's moveset. Thus, it could know the move used for digging, dig.

Hmm good attention to detail and analysis~ only time shall tell what is the truth 😉

• 2 weeks later...

kakr594.gifFrom Everland to Reborn ~ Episode 39kakr594.gif

Warning: Aladdin and Jasmin might get portrayed negatively here but ofc it's all fictional and I do love both so pls dun hate~

Also, lore-heavy plot-stagnant episode ahead lul

This time around, Gardevoir proved her skills and teleported us to the desired location without miscalculations. We appeared right outside of the narrow corridor that led to the hidden cultist base.

83iBVbI.png

“That was thrilling, wasn't it?” Candy laughed. Leave it to her to enjoy even the most serious of events.

“Thanks for your help, everyone. I can now return to Iolia Valley,” Luna said. “Vanilla, I am sure we will have an enjoyable match. Use this key and check the only tree in Vanhanen Labyrinth.”

The girl dropped what looked like a crystal piece onto my palms.

“Shall we return together? The boy here wanted to challenge me too, right? I have business that calls, but I can make time to battle you before that,” Radomus offered, and Cain accepted it right away.

“I have to go pick up my clothes, so I'll come walking,” I replied.

I’ll gladly get a dose of Heal Pulse, too, if Nurse Joy allows it. I must be out of shape if I get dizzy from just a little beating.

“I- um, I'll come with y-you,” Shelly said, apparently flustered at the unexpected influx of people.

Radomus nodded, and the four that expressed interest in teleporting held hands. In a moment’s time, they had disappeared. Right when they did, however, I remembered that Gardevoir had expressed a wish to ask me some questions right before my match with Radomus.

“I guess it wasn’t important,” I said in a low voice, but shook my head when Candy tilted her head with wonder.

“I'll escort you to the Pokemon Center. You must need a Heal Pulse session too,” Candy suggested.

“Was it obvious?”

“No, but you know I can see through you as clearly as still water~”

With that, Candy held my hand steadily, and the three of us and Nilla left 7th Street behind.

It was still rather dark out, but I could hear birds, probably starly, chirping. Getting into 7th Street had taken more time and effort than the whole ordeal of rescuing the girls had. That slightly pissed me off, but my head hurt a little too much to be concerned with trivial matters like that.

At the Pokemon Center, Nurse Joy showed me to another room, where audino was ready to heal me. I sat down quietly, and my escorts were told to wait in the lobby.

When I returned with my scented bubblegum dress back on, I found the two girls sitting next to each other. Nilla flew over to me and buzzed while circling me a couple of times. Candy heard the noise and raised her head to smile at me.

5bAJ0mK.png

She then placed a hand around Shelly’s shoulders, which winced at the sudden touch.

“Feeling better? I was talking to your friend here, and my goodness! I didn't believe anyone could hold a high opinion of you except me. What did you do to brainwash her?”

Shelly was startled at Candy’s comments, and shrunk down. Her face seemed to gradually turn red but I couldn't tell very well from underneath her thick purple hair.

“I'm not a witch. I’ve been indirectly helping people in this region, so no wonder she holds me in esteem,” I shrugged. “Now, let's head out. I've got to battle Luna before she goes off wandering to random places again.”

Candy chuckled and stood up together with Shelly.

“My husband must be worried. I ran out of the shop without telling him anything,” Candy laughed but quickly hushed and curved her lips in mischief when she saw me sending a murderous look her way.

When we got to the bridge that connected Opal and Obsidia Wards, Candy said we didn't need to come to the breeding shop.

“You just have to go north from here,” she said. “I hear the Grand Gates have recently opened miraculously. When I came here over a year ago, they told me they'd never open again. I guess they were wrong.”

Candy mentioning the gates unwittingly reminded me of the bizarre experience I had down under them.

“Is something wrong?” Candy asked.

“It's nothing. Will I see you around?”

“I'm planning on joining Ame’s city restoration project, so I'll soon make myself scarce in the shop. Maybe you can catch me at the Grand Hall some time?”

“Oh, the restoration project started?” Shelly asked, to which Candy replied with a nod.

“I think I know a person, a weirdo in sky blue tank top called Adrienn, who was also helping out on that,” I commented.

“Ah, another friend? Do you want me to say hi to them for you?”

“No,” I said without a moment of hesitation. “This city really needs some makeover because it's ugly as hell, but don't overwork yourself ok?”

“Don't worry, when have I ever overworked myself~”

“Always. If you get even a scratch, I'm going to blow everyone on that project so be careful.”

“Yes mom,” Candy teased, but seeing my serious face, she pressed her index finger onto my nose playfully. “I'll head home then. Good luck on your gym challenge!”

We waved goodbye, and saw Candy skipping until she made a turn and disappeared from our sight. Indeed, what a carefree, troublesome person.

Shelly and I decided to ride our (stolen) bikes back to Vanhanen castle because the place was rather far. Shelly offered to return Nilla to her pokeball, but the pokémon refused. The firefly hadn't seen enough thrill for the day, and chose to fly and match our biking speed. I must say she seemed to manage just fine.

“Um,” Shelly said to catch my attention as we pedaled. “Candy told me you're cousins.”

SNcxB4o.png

“Yes,” I replied.

A silence ensued until Shelly spoke again.

“She made news h-here too, um, when she beat the Hoenn League in record time.”

“She was always a good strategist, though maybe I felt like that because she's 3 years older than me,” I said. “I remember always falling for her pranks when we were younger.”

“You must be… um, really close,” Shelly commented.

“Indeed,” I replied, and thought I had ended the conversation.

Shelly was silent for a while after that, but then she remembered something she told me was perhaps important I knew.

“A girl came to Tanzan Cove, um, a little while back l-looking for you,” she recalled. “Saphira turned her, um, away, s-saying that she might b-be a spy from Team Meteor, but I don't know… she didn't even look, um, to be from Reborn.”

“Did she look to be from Everland? Not that we have a set look.”

“W-Well, she had long blond hair in a ponytail, tanned skin and I think a red shirt and white pants? But, um, Saphira told us t-to stay indoors, so that's all we could s-see from the window.”

The description caught me off guard. I stopped pedaling, and my bike came to a stop. Shelly also pressed the brakes, and looked at me with a mixture of concern and fear. Or perhaps, I had to admit that those were my own current emotions.

There was only one person of such characteristics who would also ask for my whereabouts.

Jasmin, daughter of the Everland Police chief.

For the rest of the trip, Shelly and I rode our bikes in silence. I could tell she was uncomfortable for telling me something that put me in ill humor, but I didn't have time to consider anything but my imminent encounter with my nemesis. I couldn't help but remember that fateful day, a couple of days before my departure to Reborn, when everything ended for our Defiance group- the one which King had formed from ground up and had defended for years.

The night before was quiet, and I was alone making preparations for the next day when Wolfie returned from a patrol around our base.

“Ready for peace talks tomorrow?” she asked, for she saw me packing some papers into an envelope.

“Yes, I have good hopes that the peace talks will go well,” I replied. “Both sides benefit from a merger, though I might need you to come with me to the Overworld to get more food for the new members.”

“That's not a problem at all,” she replied. “However, I must admit I’m rather surprised that Hemlock suggested a merger. I didn’t think he was capable of reasonable negotiations, for all he’s ever done was to cause chaos irregardless of whether that benefits the Defiance or not.”

“Yes, I remember your look when I told you the news. Maybe he’s coming to realize that joining forces is the more efficient way to improve their lives as well.”

Wolfie laughed for she was incredulous, but she chose not to question my judgement.

“I hope,” was all she said on the matter.

We fell silent, and only the rustling of papers were heard, until Wolfie walked over to serve herself some tea. I heard her take a couple of sips before speaking once more.

“Are you meeting up with Aladdin tonight?” Wolfie asked without looking at me, and I felt my stomach jolt a little.

“Yes,” was my succinct reply.

Wolfie sighed and took another sip from her tea.

“I won't say anything, for you already know what I think of your date,” she said, shaking her head. “Be careful and enjoy your night, Vanilla.”

Wolfie slid open the curtains which led to our room, and shut them immediately.

Though I felt guilty about seeing Aladdin despite Wolfie’s mistrust of him, I did enjoy that night with him. We were surrounded by the starry sky above and quiet Everland Overworld below, as we flew across the region, not knowing then that it would be our last date.

In the morning, I briefly greeted everyone like I always did, and they wished me luck on the peace talks. I sat down with Wolfie to have breakfast together as we discussed her duties during the time I would make myself scarce. Still, I could hear the voices of my men, most of whom were hyped to have new teammates. Others, especially the older folks who had been part of King’s Defiance group even before I joined, were skeptical that Hemlock’s group could be trusted after a history of fighting over food in the times of King’s leadership. Once I finished breakfast, I approached the older folks and assured them that part of Hemlock’s motive was to get a consistent source of food, and thus we would have them under our control as long as we controlled their food supply.

“They're rowdy folk, Eterna, but I'm sure you'll give them a good beating if time comes. King trained ya well,” said Roquil, the redhead who had guided Wolfie and I on our first trip to the Underworld, but had proved to be an indispensable member even after I replaced King in leadership.

The air was full of hope and peace, until the entrance tiles slid and my escort arrived.

Unhappy glances flashed to the way of the sounds, but when Aladdin entered our common room, everyone fell silent and focused on their plates.

“Ah, I'm ready,” I said to him quietly, conscious of the silence. “Let's go.”

I placed my dirty plates on the sink, took my bag and wore a disguise- the outfit which “Defiance leader Eterna” was known for. I saw Wolfie glance at me, so I placed a hand on her shoulder.

“I entrust you our team,” I said to her, and she nodded.

Before leaving the base, I called for everyone’s attention.

“Don't cause trouble for Moonlight in my absence, and don't slack on your training routine.”

I was met with brief laughter, but when I sent them a sharp look, they all fell silent in a flash.

Aladdin and I headed to the territory of Hemlock’s Defiance group, which in the recent past had shown nothing but hostility toward us. We were welcomed surprisingly warmly, and I didn't have to argue much to negotiate and reach a mutually acceptable agreement. They only wished to relocate their group to our quarters, and have a share of food, and in exchange they agreed to yield total leadership to me and dispose of their base as I liked.

“That went far more smoothly than I expected,” I commented to Aladdin on the way back. “If that's how it was going to be, I think I could have sent someone else on my behalf.”

Aladdin twitched at my comment, but said nothing. I noticed that he seemed dispirited, but when I inquired about it, he said he was just nervous about visiting Hemlock's headquarters and expressed relief about getting that over with. At one point, he stopped walking and asked me whether I could allow him to take a leave for the Overworld by himself, so that he could rest. I thought it odd, for he refused my offer to go together with him, but thought no more of it. I trusted him too much to cast an ounce of suspicion.

I continued the walk by myself. Because I had to hide from alleyway to alleyway as I went, walking back to the base took quite a long time, even though the two bases weren't located that far from each other. 

It had been no more than 20 minutes since Aladdin left, when I saw someone running at full speed. I immediately hid myself and switched into position to engage on a one-on-one fight just in case, but loosened my guard once I saw who it was.

“Wolfie, what's up?” I said, instantly knowing something was amiss. Wolfie would never abandon her post unless it was for something grave.

“Eterna, you have to leave now,” she whispered but it sounded more like a shout. “The others have been captured or killed already.”

I was confused, to say the least.

“What is happening? Did enemies infiltrate our base?”

I thought it might have been the act of a third Defiance group, that might have coordinated with Hemlock’s group. It would've made sense why Hemlock had been so welcoming all of a sudden, if it was to set us in a trap.

“No, it’s the Everland Police,” she said hastily, and pulled me to an alleyway. “Great numbers of them, led by none other than Jasmin from your school. They’re everywhere looking for you, and now, I guess, me. There’s no time for specifics. Take this and give me your disguise.”

45vZR5t.png

She helped me take off the robe I had, then yanked my mask off my face, and forced another one onto mine. With lightning speed, she changed into the Eterna outfit, and pulled my arm as we ran for our lives.

“Eterna, you must live,” Wolfie said in between harsh breaths. “The hope of the Defiance lies in you. Whatever happens, you must survive.”

“How could this happen? Jasmin? Is this a loss? Why must I live if my team was lost?” I was still confused, and the adrenaline wasn't helping.

“It doesn't matter how it happened. As long as you live, hope will follow you,” Wolfie said, but our hasty conversation was cut short when two policemen blocked our way.

Wolfie and I took our gunballs, and managed to hit both of them. The policemen fell to the ground and we were but a minute away from the ladder that connected the Over and Underworld. We could make it, together.

However, right then a third officer appeared out of nowhere, and Wolfie jumped in to cover me. The gunshot pierced through the side of her stomach, and a couple of consecutive shots right after apparently hit lethal spots. I managed to revenge kill the officer, but Wolfie…

“Long live Queen Eterna,” were her last words, uttered with much wheezing but direct eye contact. She reclined on top of me, and I watched her slip away from my arms as she choked to death on her own blood.

My body turned to stone, with every hair shivering at the recollection of the last few minutes. I could feel my heartbeat up to my temples, and I thought I was having a stroke. With much reason. My friend of ten years, my right hand woman, my confidante and advisor, now lay still inches from my toes.

However, I snapped back to reality when I heard more voices approaching. I had to run. For now, I had to survive, as Wolfie had wanted me to.

I managed to return to the Leiderhosen castle in the Overworld. Everything was left the same way as I had left them earlier last night. It almost felt as though I had just lived a bad dream. Tonight I would go back to our base, and I'd find my men and Wolfie like every other night. Wasn't that right?

No. It wasn't a bad dream.

And the person who made it all real for me stood right in front of the rabbit hole that night.

“Vanilla. You must have questions,” Aladdin said. “Only despair awaits you down there, but here I can answer every question you might seek the answer to.”

kESxCDU.png

VANILLA RATES: REBORN CHARACTERS

Spoiler
  • Shelly (±1): 7/10 her high opinion of me was nice, but then she unwittingly reminded me of sour business

My goodness, this was single most image editing heavy episode me thinks 😅 Promise next episode will push the plot forward~

QUICK LINK TO NEXT EPISODE

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, J-Awesome_One said:

A flashback episode! Yay! This 1 was a bit sad though. But you keep getting better and better which is good. Can't wait for the next update! 😄

Lol I actually omitted an important detail (which I kinda fixed rn) thanks to my brain tying Aladdin and Jasmin wae too much xD The Everland Police on this instance was led by Jasmin, which is why Vanilla remembered this incident when Shelly talked of her.

Thx for reading, though the direct continuation to this flashback is likely going to happen in Season Three lul

• Like 1