From Everland to Reborn ~ A fairytale themed run [Last defeated: Amaria]

Candy

Which team? Multiple choice allowed but limit to 2 choices :)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. [Insert a question here]

• CHOICE 1
    • CHOICE 2
    • CHOICE 3
    • CHOICE 4
    • CHOICE 5

This poll is closed to new votes

tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gifFrom Everland to Reborn ~ Episode 12tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gif

“You know this is a trap, right?” I confirmed with Victoria before going down the large rabbit hole.

“Perhaps, but we’re prepared to fight. Let’s go.”

Victoria started descending the ladder, and I followed closely behind.

Even before we reached the bottom, we could see that Team Meteor had somehow turned the lights on. I could see the walls were lined with colorful gems, though I wasn’t sure if any would be valuable enough to collect and sell.

Right when we touched bottom, though, a net sprung out of the ground to tie our feet. We both jumped - as I’d expected, Victoria had pretty sharp reflexes. However, unfortunately for her, she bumped into me as she jumped, causing me to completely escape the net’s reach but enclosing herself in the process.

“Too bad we missed one,” commented Aster, who had been hiding with Eclipse behind a protruded wall.

“It doesn’t matter. We’ve got one girl as the hostage. If you want to free your friend, Vanilla, I suggest you don’t try silly moves and come down.”

Aster and Eclipse sent out two lycanrocs - one day form like Wolfie and one night form, who took care of quickly pulling Victoria. They opened a hidden passage on the ground and disappeared, but when I ran over to check it out, I realized it was made so that it only opened when enough pressure was applied. Since I’m only a rather petite girl, well, not even with Pikachu’s weight was I able to push it open.

Hence my only options were to either ignore the kidnap or go through the long way.

I sighed, for the course of action was already predetermined. Victoria had, after all, helped her win the fight between her and the street rats that were bullying Pikachu. That, too, when they had barely known each other at all.

“Can’t ignore that I’ve got to return the favor,” I told Pikachu, who showed me its even squirrel teeth.

We walked through the walls lined with glittering gems, occasionally fighting wild pokemon in the way. For some reason, when some wild gravelers used Rock Tomb, sometimes it would deal more damage or less damage than the average, though I wasn’t sure why this was the case.

The cave was pretty much a maze. Not to draw parallels with my ancestors’ story again, but I can’t really ignore that when I get lost in a maze. Sometimes I would walk far, only to realize that I wasn’t advancing at all and instead returning to the starting point. I had to try many routes, and finally found the correct one by the process of elimination.

On the way to where I assumed Aster and Eclipse were waiting, I stumbled upon a small opening in the wall. I went in and fought a diglett who broke the gems in the tiny room by magnitude. When I finished the battle, I noticed that there was something sitting on a little elevation.

“It’s a Pokegear,” I said, inspecting the gadget. “But it’s broken, except for the Field Effects app.”

I had all the fields listed on it, except for the Rainbow Field and the Crystal Cavern field. The Pokegear had an export function, so I easily transferred the data to my own. It can’t hurt to have more data.

“I’m guessing when I fight the two Meteor grunts, I’ll be doing so in a Crystal Cavern too,” I pondered. Of course, it was a strategic idea to check out the field notes.

Spoiler

azne0qx.png

R1z5xj5.png

“I see. So rock type attacks gain additional typing on this field,” I thought aloud. “I guess that’s why those gravelers did random damage on my teammates.”

The battle was going to be determined by luck, I supposed, since although Wolfie had an advantage in a field that increased the damage done by rock type moves, they would be hampered if I got the short end of the stick. Besides, Aster and Eclipse already gave me a preview of their team - they obviously had enough time to train those rockruffs from the Peridot factory up to lycanrocs. That means they’ll also do random damage, and so I might lose depending on my luck.

“Great. I hope my luck’s shown improvement because if it’s how it’s always been, then I’m going to be screwed.”

These were the thoughts that plagued my mind, when I found some surprisingly neat stairs and went down them.

“What is this place?” I asked myself, when I reached an opening that had a rather high ceiling and proper tiles on the floor. Bewildered, I walked some more, until I met a random old dude with a fashionable trench coat.

“Greetings, trainer,” he said upon seeing me.

I’d just been thinking of passing behind him without being noticed, but I guessed that would be impossible now.

“Hi,” I said, deliberately making facial expressions of someone who has no time for chit-chat.

However, the stranger did not care.

“Tell me. As a citizen of this city, did you have any inkling of this place beneath it?”

“I’m new to Reborn City, so I can’t answer that,” I replied, still looking anxious to go.

“Not surprisingly, most people do not,” the stranger carried on. “These are the same people who live ignorant to centuries of history. Look at this magnificent gate.”

I reluctantly obliged.

“Do you know what is beyond it?”

“No, I do not, and no I’m not curious to find out.”

The stranger smirked at me but shook his head slowly.

“You seem to be in a great hurry,” he finally noticed. “However, there really is nothing to be in a hurry for. If you’re looking for your friend, she has only been kidnapped and both her and her kidnappers are on the end of this path waiting for you. I still think that you should listen to what I have to say, for it will inevitably be of use to you, in understanding what the purpose of one entity is.”

“Alright. Speak away, stranger, but keep it succinct or I’ll not remember a word of it,” I said, giving up.

“This is a sacred place,” the stranger started. “It is the very core of Reborn.”

From there, this formally-attired stranger rambled on about how this was where the world begun, and went on to complain quite a lot about the city that was built on top. In particular, the mention of 4 gems that are represented in the design of the portal briefly caught my attention, since one of those gems was Ruby. It invariably reminded me of a certain stubborn pink-haired brat.

“Now you can go,” he concluded. “Share this place with the world above. Remind them: this world which they have undone will itself be their undoing.”

The man went up the stairs without looking back even once.

I did not waste time and walked further to where Aster and Eclipse held Victoria captive.

“What, the boss let you get away?” Aster asked.

“So that excessively talkative man was your boss?”

“Yes, but it matters not. We’ll finish our work and capture you too.”

We all grabbed our pokeballs at once. Aster and Eclipse sent out solrock and lunatone, and later on the lycanrocs that they’d showed us in the beginning of the cave. Victoria, fortunately, joined me in the battles and was of great help to beat the grunts, although I might have been able to take care of them by myself, since my luck (surprisingly) was pretty solid. My pokemon got either neutral or not-very-effective damage by the lycanrocs’ rock-type attacks, while my Wolfie took down the day-form one with a single super-effective rock tomb. All in all, Aster and Eclipse aren’t really a threat compared to ZEL or Taka.

“Thanks for coming for me,” Victoria said, once the two grunts were out of our sight. “Though I didn’t doubt you’d help me out.”

“I had to return the favor,” I shrugged. Though I couldn’t understand the language, Pikachu seemed to be saying ‘thank you’ with loud squeaks. The little one jumped off my shoulder to land on Victoria’s shoulder, circled around her back and returned back to me.

“I was wondering about him, but I didn’t quite have time to be asking these questions in Obsidia Ward,” she laughed. “So you caught a pachirisu. Is it the same one that was on the Opal Bridge?”

“Yeah. His name is Pikachu. I think he’s giving you the thanks for helping him back then.”

“It’s been a while now. With all the weird stuff happening, it’s incredible how time flies,” Victoria pondered. “Let’s go back to Lapis Ward. I’m worried about Shelly.”

I didn’t disagree to the offer.

On our way back, though, an overly excited hiker bumped into me.

“Oh, excuse me, young lady,” the hiker said. “I’m just very happy to find a new cave to explore and climb, even! Team Meteor might not be completely bad after all.”

“They’re scum, but enjoy the secondary effects of their destructive character, if you want,” I said.

“My my. I think you just don’t feel the excitement that I do. Let me give you something to brighten your sour mood!”

yYlmiNp.png

The hiker gave me the HM for rock smash, which was totally useless since I still didn’t have Shelly’s badge and hence my pokemon were not strong enough for it yet. Even then, the hiker pushed the disk into my arms and laughed so loudly I could hear him long after he was gone from my sight.

“I’m glad there still are optimistic citizens,” Victoria smiled.

I was at a loss as to how to react, so I refrained from commenting.

When we returned to Shelly’s room, we found her in the same position and location we’d left her in.

“It seems Shelly isn’t feeling well yet,” Victoria said with concern in her voice. “I don’t think I can help her myself, but if I remember correctly, there is a certain Dr. Connal who has a psychiatric hospital in town.”

“Ok, I’ll go look for the bloke,” I said and left.

That depressing atmosphere radiating from Shelly was threatening to choke me. Besides, I’d be either a neutral or negative influence in the little girl’s recovery, so my absence would be a win-win.

I asked around Lapis about the hospital, but most of the people told me either to get lost or didn’t even know about the place.

I actually made a wrong turn and managed to enter an alleyway with blue-uniformed guys. Obviously, this was not the way to the hospital.

“What’s this? An intruder?”

“Are you from Magma gang or something?”

“What’re you even talking about? I’m only looking for this psychiatric hospital.”

The two guys looked each other and laughed.

“The only hospital you’re going to go to is the Pokemon Center when we beat you real good.”

I did expect these two sweaty boys not to let me go easily, but I didn’t expect their pokemon to be so weak. The battle was over in less time than our conversation had lasted.

“Wow, this lil’ girl’s got some skills.”

“Come in, princess. Ya gotta meet our chief. If yer lucky, you can join us Aqua gang.”

“I’m not interested,” I said and turned around, but before leaving, I punched the second guy right on the nose bridge. The guy fell back to the ground, covering his face, while the other one grabbed my wrist.

“What’s your problem now, eh?” he barked and twisted my arm.

“That’ll teach him to never call me ‘princess’. Watch out, or you’ll get the same treatment,” I said and tugged on my arm to get it out of the guy’s grasp. He didn’t bulge, though, and instead pushed me into the alleyway.

“I said I’m not interested in joining your Magma gang or whatever,” I repeated. “And I don’t have time to deal with humans who can’t even deal with a tiny slap on the forehead.”

“What’s all the commotion?” asked a black haired man, taller than the others and much more muscular.

“Chief, this streetrat’s punched Razzy in the nose.”

The team’s chief looked at me, at Razzy still on the floor, and back at me again.

“A girl with attitude, huh?” the man chuckled. “I like that. What’s your name?”

“Why should I tell you my name? I have no business here.”

KkL3yqS.png

“I’m Archer, the chief of Aqua. How would you like to join our gang?” the Archer person asked, but before I opened my mouth to refuse once more, he added, “From the looks of it, this wouldn’t be your first gang.”

I widened my eyes, and changed my stance to defensive mode.

“What would you know,” I spat on the ground. “I’m not looking to join any gangs.”

“I guessed you wouldn’t. Why join a gang, when you’d been the leader of one? Isn’t that what you’re thinking, Vanilla Eterna?”

I choked on air.

“How… Who are you?”

“You wouldn’t recognize me. Back in Everland I had neatly trimmed hair and a shaved beard, after all.”

“Chief, you know this girl?” the Aqua gang boy that wasn’t on the ground asked.

“Unfortunately, I do,” Archer sighed. “If you don’t plan on joining us, you can leave.”

“You haven’t answered my question. Who are you?”

“Simple. I used to be a member of the Everland Police, specifically the group overseeing the Underworld. By unlucky chance, I found out about your involvement in the Defiance.”

I looked at Archer for a little while, to locate him somewhere in my memory. Eventually, his thick eyebrows matched with someone I had limited acquaintance with.

“I might remember a police officer who threatened me, did not hear my advice and got his ass banished from Everland. Would that happen to be you?”

“You didn’t have to put it that way, but it is correct.”

I laughed from my nose.

“You should’ve known better than to accuse a top-ranking noble of betrayal. Even more, when there were no witnesses.”

“If I’d had my gunball with me back then, you might not be standing here today,” Archer smirked.

I smiled too, for I didn’t dislike a morbid sense of humor.

“I’ll do you a favor and see myself out,” I held a hand up without waving. “Enjoy your new gang life.”

“Thanks, but I actually do,” Archer said and made signs for the now-standing Razzy and the other to make way.

When I exited the alleyway, I let my body relax.

“What a curse that the nightmares follow me,” I said to Pikachu, while stretching my arms and rolling my shoulders. “Where were we? Oh, the hospital.”

I carefully avoided Aqua gang’s hideout as I looked for the hospital. I was starting to doubt Victoria gave me the right information, when I happened to stumble upon a girl with, well, rather dope hair.

o858NW5.png

“Today’s your birthday. You can finally escape,” the girl was saying, when I approached her. Upon meeting my gaze, though, she made a hostile frown. I kept a serious expression, too, but just when were were inside each other’s defensive zone, the building’s door flung open and out came a tall girl with bright pink hair.

Gvu5Xlk.png

“Let’s go, sister,” she said to the girl with cool hair. The older sister still eyed me with a look of disapproval but we exchanged no words as they passed right by my side.

“What was that bitter girl?” I wrinkled my nose at her distancing back. “Wonder what this building is.”

I checked on the building’s sign, since it was rather large, white and somber, befitting of the image of a psychiatric hospital.

“Dr Connal's Orphanage and Psychiatric Treatment Center. Hah we hit the jackpot, though I'm not sure how an orphanage and a psychiatric treatment center fit together,” I told Pikachu. I'm developing a bad habit of talking aloud to a Pokemon that doesn't understand my language. If I'm not careful, Dr Connal might want to diagnose me with a speech disorder.

Whether with understanding or not, Pikachu rubbed it's yellow cheek against my unpigmented cheek.

VANILLA RATES: REBORN CHARACTERS

Spoiler
  • Archer: 2/10 What were the chances of meeting this guy in this faraway region? Is my luck really that bad?

QUICK LINK TO NEXT EPISODE

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Corso said:

Why no video this time and why no Unown cameo?

Lol my creativity didn't reach those heights xD and videos are reserved for Gym battles and PULSE battles

Edited by Candy
  • Haha 1

tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gifFrom Everland to Reborn ~ Episode 13tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gif

Upon entering, I gasped at the unexpected sight of a little girl.

“Hello but you're not Laura,” she observed me with large round eyes. “Why are you so glowy?”

“Glowy? Are you referring to my Pokemon?” I asked, since I remembered some word like that is used to describe pokemon with different coloring like mine. As far as I knew, nothing on me was glowy. My sugar crystal brooch is bright but not glowy… Right?

HA4z4xT.png

“Anna, you're scaring the poor girl,” said a little boy and I was saved.

“Oh sorry. Come, I'll introduce you to my friends,” Anna said.

“That's not necessary actually. I'm only looking for a certain Dr Connal. Am I in the right place?”

“You want the Doctor? Oh no no, whatever it's for, this is not the Doctor you're looking for!”

“Ugh, I've got a girl who's shocked speechless and perhaps has trauma now. I don't care but they told me to bring the doctor. Where is he?”

“Please understand, glowy person. The Doctor will only make your friend’s condition worse. He’ll use his therapy, and it really hurts,” Anna insisted and stretched both arms so I couldn't pass further.

“Listen to Anna, stranger. She's right,” a girl with twintails and a red jacket said.

“Ah, I was going to introduce you, right? I almost forgot because you say such inconceivable things,” Anna laughed. “What's your name, glowy person?”

“I don't know what glowy you're referring to, but I'm Vanilla. New to Reborn. My outfit speaks for myself.”

“Ok Vanilla. I've never seen such a pretty and sweet smelling dress,” Anna smiled. “Now, this is my Jirachi, Nostra. That's Noel, my brother and his Cleffa, Nomos, and this is Charlotte. You know, she's really pretty despite of her burn scars.”

“Burn scars?” I asked, because I could not see any.

“Ana, for the last time. I don't have burn scars,” Charlotte said with a loud voice.

“Ah I forgot you don't like them mentioned. Sorry, I won't talk about them again so please forgive me?”

“It's not that, I just don't have burn scars,” Charlotte crossed her arms.

“Ok well, if I'm not gonna see Dr Connal, then I don't see a point in remaining. Bye,” I said, but just as I did, Anna widened her eyes.

“Yuck the Doctor’s coming,” she announced and moved over to the spot next to her brother. I was about to say something, when someone in a white lab coat appeared at the door opposing me.

“Good afternoon. Oh? May I inquire into who this is?”

“Are you Dr Connal?” I asked instead of a self-introduction.

“Indeed. I am Dr Sigmund Connal, the director of this orphanage.”

Owbi5Qr.png

“Ah, Doctor. This is Vanilla, um, she came to check the place out since we have so many Gym leaders,” Ana cut me off.

“Is that so? Well. My orphans are indeed quite talented for their age. However unfortunately they're not able to battle at this point because the battle field is still under construction.”

“Right, Doctor? It's great to meet you, Vanilla, but now you're going. That's too bad, but hope we can meet again someday,” Ana said while casually pushing me.

When we were at the exit though, she reached my ear on tip toes and spoke to me with a quiet voice.

“Your friend is alright without a doctor. Just tell her to remember who is the person that's truly hurt by that.”

Then, Ana gave me one more push, effectively ejecting me out of the orphanage. I heard the door locking behind me.

“That was… Weird,” I commented. “Guess I'll just return to the Gym.”

So I did, and found Victoria sitting next to Shelly.

“Vanilla,” Victoria called and stood up. “Did you find Dr Connal?”

“Yes but no. Instead I found an odd, perhaps psychic, girl,” I said, and walked straight towards Shelly. “Shelly, she told me you should remember who the person who's really hurt by this is. Do you understand what she's saying?”

I hoped she would, because I had no clue. Luckily for me, the words had a beneficial effect on the young girl.

“That's true… Um, I don't have time to be like this when it’s Heather who lost her dad,” Shelly said, still with an empty look. “I have to find her.”

“Shelly, you need to stay here and rest,” Victoria told her, but Shelly shook her head sideways and made a slight smile.

“N-No, I’m fine now,” she said with a little more energy. “But before I go. Victoria, didn’t you come here for a battle? Sorry, we can do it now if you’d like.”

“Don’t worry about it, you don’t have to apologize.”

“Oh ok, sorry… Oops.”

Victoria chuckled.

“Really, it’s fine with me. I’d prefer to wait a bit and battle you later,” Victoria said but then glanced at me and added, “Although, Vanilla might want to do it.”

mV0qEed.png

I was on the verge of spacing out, when the sudden mention of my name brought me back to the conversation.

“O-oh ok, I’ll be w-waiting then,” Shelly said and stood up from her sofa. She passed in front of me, I saw her take a quick glance at me and shiver as she exited the room.

This wasn’t what I was expecting, but I’ll take it. Let’s get this battle done.

I turned towards the stairs, when Victoria called me back.

“Vanilla, I know this is weird, but do you really have to fight her?”

vSeOEsm.png

I didn’t say anything, because I was confused. Weren’t you who suggested I fight in the first place?

“Shelly… she’s just recovering from a traumatic encounter. I wouldn’t want her to stress over the battle. Please don’t make her condition worse thinking only of a plain badge.”

“Crying alone won’t benefit her recovery either,” I said, perhaps with a stern look. “She needs activity to take her mind off this incident. I don’t oppose her battling me.”

I stepped down a couple of stairs before Victoria called me again.

“Wait. If you think so, let me try to stop you with a battle. If I win, don’t battle her, alright?”

2GyKaFS.png

Unfortunately for Victoria, the battle was pretty much decided when I sent Aladdin in. Her pancham and her ace, torracat, went down to Psycho Cut and High Jump Kick, respectively. Kirlia and pikachu gave me a little more trouble, because I had prepared my team for Shelly’s bug team and hence had deposited my ground-type Prince in the pokemon center. However, in the end, I won thanks to outnumbering her.

“Fine, do as you wish. I won’t say I’m not disappointed in your attitude, though,” Victoria said as she called her torracat back into a pokeball.

“If you had high expectations for my attitude to start with,” I smirked. “That means you’ve misjudged me.”

“You might act cold and apathetic, but you see, you’ve left another impression the first time we met. I saw vitality and a strong will to do good in your eyes as you fought to rescue Pikachu. I’ll never forget that.”

“You too do as you wish,” I said, turning my back at her.

Saying that the Gym was spacious would be an understatement. Somehow the people in this region had managed to grow a mini-forest indoors. There were trainers, or course, but I also saw some bug pokemon hiding in the grass. I approached Ame’s display, because this time I had not found a Field Effect read-out for this field.

“Did you know that some leaders in Reborn choose to battle in doubles?” Ame said as I downloaded the read-out for Forest field onto my pokegear. “Shelly is one of them.”

“Good to know,” I said and pulled the pokegear off.

Spoiler

H7R2tCk.png

ZbyDsEM.png

wOs0lmh.png

“Her strategy is based on rain in order to cover her fire-type weakness,” Ame continued. “You can either destroy her plans if you are faster than her pokemon, or ride the tide, as they say.”

I smiled at the joke, but made no sound so the girl could not know I did.

“I’ll be going,” I said.

“Good luck.”

Luckily for me, rain or speed isn’t an issue. My Anna brings in the rainbows anyway.

After defeating all the trainers, and solving the puzzle, which really took me more than I would like to admit, I made it to the room where Shelly was waiting. At the sight of me, she shrunk to half her original size.

“Um, hello,” she greeted.

As I approached her, it seemed like she was getting smaller.

YPAaqM4.png

“What is it,” I asked.

“I-I’m fine, don’t worry about me.”

Clearly she wasn’t fine. I could see the fear in her eyes. Why? Don’t ask me questions.

I scratched my cheek and watched her silently for a short moment, before thinking of something to ease the atmosphere. I took Pikachu off my shoulder and lifted him up in front of her face.

“Do you like squirrels?” I asked.

“Your pachirisu is very cute,” Shelly said, showing Pikachu a warm smile. “C-Can I pet it?”

“Sure.”

Shelly slowly raised her hand and started petting Pikachu on the head. Her trembling gradually subsided, and Pikachu let out a comfortable squeak.

“I-I think… I can tell you have taken care of him very well.”

“He doesn’t battle, but has been with me almost immediately since I started the Reborn League.”

When I judged Shelly was less nervous around me, I asked her whether she’d like to start the battle.

“L-Let’s do it.”

Spoiler

As I expected, rain wasn’t an issue here. The rainbow field was set, though neither Shelly nor me could exploit it properly. At least it improved things for my team. After taking out the masquerain, which I expected to have water-type moves at its disposal,I sent out Wolfie. Unfortunately masquerain wasn’t the only one with water-type attacks, but Wolfie managed as long as there wasn’t a critical hit. With a spectacular combination of teamwork between Wolfie and Golden Key, I managed to take care of the rest of her team with plain rock slide.

“Ah, you’re strong,” Shelly commented when we finished battling.

“Your strategy wasn’t bad,” I said.

I approached Shelly to take my cocoon badge and to pick up Pikachu, whom I left close to her.

“Um, what is that bottle on your backpack’s side pocket?”

I reached to the side pocket, and grabbed the bottle. It was the shady bottle of possibly poisonous liquid that the woman at the hair salon in Obsidia had given me.

“What did she say again?” I asked myself. “I think she said that if a pokemon and I drink it when we get along well, something will happen. I bet it’s poison or just water.”

“Isn’t it Sparkling Water?”

Somehow checking out the bottle made Shelly cheer up more.

“Water that feels like soda but tastes awful?” I asked. That’s the only sparkling water I know of.

“N-No. Um. It’s a liquid that was popular a long time ago but made a brief comeback a couple of years back,” she said, returning the bottle to me. “It’s definitely not bad for you or your pokemon, t-though the effects are temporal.”

I stared at the bottle, and then looked at Pikachu. The little squirrel squeaked happily as we met eyes.

8DptJAj.png

“Fine.”

I opened the bottle, took a couple of gulps and gave the rest to Pikachu to drink. Once it was done drinking, we stared at each other. A minute passed, then minutes passed in silence.

Yet nothing seemed to happen.

I shrugged and was ready to go when Shelly made another ‘um’ sound. I looked back to Pikachu, whose fur’s blue designs were turning a shade of pink that pretty much matched the color of my bubblegum dress.

7cP5dRE.png

“What’s this?” I was puzzled.

“I-It’s the effects of Sparkling Water. Um, it’s ingredients change a pokemon’s appearance to its shiny form.”

One must give credit to where it’s due. This transformation was pretty cool to watch.

I looked at Shelly. She still seemed slightly uncomfortable to see me, but at least showed me a tiny smile.

“Um. I think you should t-talk to Ame about the poison leader, who… Um, isn’t here anymore. There’s a back-up poison-type leader, but I d-don’t think they know they should get ready.”

“Sure.”

I lowered my upper body to let pink Pikachu climb up to my shoulder, and left the shy little girl on her own.

TEAM RECAP

Spoiler

DdRVeJ2.pngpHjh86L.pngs8n7fAw.pngb6sUeW3.pngNm4b1MC.png0LGVhIB.pngG9gd2af.pngePleEv4.pngyCAIGyM.png

Spoiler
  • Anna: 5/10 Neutral because she seems like a sweet girl but is also creepy when she speaks of things I can't see.
  • Noel: 6/10 Seems like composed little boy.
  • Charlotte: 5/10 Looks like she's got attitude, but that's not in itself a bad thing.
  • Dr Connal: 5/10 Just your average doc.
  • Victoria (-1): 6/10 Why is she questioning my morality when she suggested I battle in the first place?
  • Shelly (+1): 5/10 Still don't like her always-nervous persona, but she seems nice.

• Like 4

tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gifFrom Everland to Reborn ~ Artsy Arttumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gif

Heylo frens~ It's Candy here :D

No, it's not a notification of a new episode today... Vanilla is working on it, though!

Instead, I'm posting this relevant picture I drew of Vanilla and her pal, Pikachu~

... But don't show it to her, or she'll get mad at my horrible art skills hehe This is why I'm a breeder, not an artist :P

PNG form ~ original

Spoiler

Jf8UMdl.png

PNG form with random quote

Spoiler

MttQtRh.png

Overly over and overly over GIF

Spoiler

UNFmtUL.gif

Hope y'all liked them, even if they can't really be called art~ :D

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, ArcherEric said:

Seeing that picture managed to warm my heart that is in winter vacation

Keep up the good work @Candy! Im rooting for you!

Cold winter, huh? Here it's a lil cold too :P and thanks, I'm surprised I'm still going strong~

tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gifFrom Everland to Reborn ~ Episode 14tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gif

My luck was running low, for I found an eyesore at the Opal Grand Hall.

Fern was talking with Ame, and from what I could hear of the conversation, I didn’t really need to come all the way here after all. I was about to change directions to go towards the exit before Fern could realize I was there, but it was too late.

“Loser is too scared to fight me?” I heard him say to my back.

I stopped midway and turned.

“If you already told Ame about what happened with the poison guy, I don’t have a reason to stay any longer.”

“I can tell you some good information, ya know,” Fern said. “About the new poison-type Gym leader. You’ll need her badge, so I’d suggest listening to the top dog.”

“Hurry up and speak or slow down and I’ll leave.”

Fern fixed his glasses and smirked.

“You see, Reborn has a system in place for cases like this. Since Corey retired in a sense, now the back-up girl, Aya, is the leader. Apparently she’s some chick in the middle of nowhere aka the wastelands.”

“Alright. I’ll go find her,” I said, ready to leave, but Fern stopped me.

“How even are you going to do that?” he asked, but his intent was obvious from his ridiculing tone. “The wastelands aren’t accessible without a key, and guess what? I’ve got one.”

I sent an incredulous look to him, and he waved the key in the air for me to see.

“I don’t really want to go to the wastelands with you,” I said.

“What an idiot. Do you think I’d let you follow me? That’d be a disgrace on my name.”

I stared at him, perhaps with killing intent. Fern read my face, but placed the keys back into his shirt’s pocket.

“I can tell you where to get another, if you happen to win against me in a battle.”

eHnIGPP.png

We didn’t waste a second. Fern’s team was pretty easy to beat, except for his roserade, which I had to defeat with my two frail vulpixes. However like with Victoria, I managed to win thanks to my team outnumbering his.

“Talk about cheap,” Fern sighed. “Whatever, man. You can get a key from her brother. This purple-haired guy who looks more like a girl with fishnets. Totally freaky. He wouldn’t stop singing, either. Good luck finding him. Later, loser.”

Fern purposely bumped his shoulder into mine as he passed me to exit the building. Pikachu saw this, and sent a sharp and rather unpleasant squeal.

“Don’t even get mad, Pikachu. He isn’t worth our time.”

Finding Cain was an ordeal in itself. I looked everywhere for him. I even went into some caves in Beryl, which wasn’t all that bad because I found myself some handy items, including a fire stone for Anna, and I also found Corey’s nidorina in an especially dark cave near the Beryl cemetery. I wouldn’t add her to my team, but still, I felt somehow responsible for her loss of trainer.

yqN5Uqm.png

When I exited the dark cave, though, I heard some singing nearby. I walked over to the cemetery, from where the singing was heard.

“Cain?” I called, and e stopped singing.

br1Gim9.png

“Hello Vanilla, how’s it going~” e said with a wide smile. “I came here because I heard what happened with the poison-type Gym leader.”

“There’s nothing to do up here. He’s dead.”

Cain batted his eyes, his eyelashes looking too long to be natural.

“I know I can’t do anything for the poor guy, but I heard he left a 10-year-old daughter behind.”

“I don’t know where you could find Heather. She flew away on a dragon.”

“Even then, I want to find her. That’s a big thing, not having anyone to care for you when you’re so young.”

“If that’s what you want to do,” I shrugged. “Give me the wasteland key and you’re free to go.”

“Oh, you want it too?” Cain suddenly seemed low on spirits. “I wouldn’t advise you to go, but if you’re set on it, I’ll give it to you if you win me over~ Not my heart, but in a battle, of course.”

QDDsBCp.png

In the battle, I led with Elsa against brionne, which Freeze-Dry fainted the blue seal in two turns. Seeing that Cain was sending out his nidoking, I switched into Prince. It would’ve taken two Earth Powers, but Cain healed the pokemon in one turn, so it took three turns instead. Against a-grimer, I thought I could one shot it with Earth Power, but unfortunately it wasn’t enough and Prince got revenge-killed with Knock-off. Aladdin took over, and was able to finish the colorful blob with Fake Out and High Jump Kick. Cain sent out his final pokemon, a-marowak, but the poor thing went down to a single Rock Slide from Wolfie, which attack had been powered up by the field (though I don’t know what this field is, yet).

“You won over my heart~” Cain grinned and tried to hug me but I pushed im away. “Fine, I’ll give you the key.”

Just as he was looking into is pockets, though, e noticed that we were being watched from above.

“When did you get here?” Cain asked the pink-haired brat. “Heather, right?”

“What if I am?” Heather replied.

“I heard some stuff happened, and I was looking for you because I was worried.”

“What, so you can place a bunch of stupid rules on me too?”

The late Team Meteor agent Corey’s words regarding ‘stupid rules’ popped on my mind, but I refrained from saying them out loud.

“Hey, no, I just wanted to be friends. You see, I-”

“Just shut up,” Heather said with a voice that hurt my ears. “I don’t need friends. I have a friend.”

“Who is it?”

“Why do I have to tell you? She’s a Gym leader, okay? I’ll go see her now if only to get away from you!” Heather called her dragon, and jumped on top of it. Seriously, Corey let her have a huge dragon to her disposal?

The dragon took flight and surfed the skies with incredible speed. Cain watched her direction a while after she was gone.

“She’s headed to Lapis Ward,” Cain commented. “Sorry, Vanilla. I have to get going now before she gets lost again. I’ll give you the key later.”

Then Cain rode away on a bicycle.

I headed to the Lapis Gym upon arrival to the ward, but I made a wrong turn and ended up witnessing the Aqua gang dismounting their bikes to head into an apartment building. They left the guy I’d punched back in their base looking after the bikes.

“How convenient,” I said to Pikachu, and walked over to the bikes.

“Hey, you,” the guy, whose name I believe was Razzy, exclaimed as he saw me. He tried to hide the tremor in his voice; however, his body language absolutely communicated fear.

“Which is Archer’s bike?”

“W-why would I tell you?”

“You know the answer,” I said, raising a fist.

Razzy’s hand jerked immediately to his nose bridge, which had been carefully bandaged.

“It's that one,” he said, looking away from me. The way he shrunk his shoulders reminded me of Shelly.

In any case, free bike so I’m not going to complain.

“Don’t look at me like that,” I told Pikachu, who was staring at me with knitted eyebrows. “One must get by, and I don’t care about stealing from enemies. Now hang on tight, I’ll speed through to the Gym.”

Inside Shelly’s room, I found both Cain and Heather. They were arguing about rules and freedom, which apparently is Heather’s favorite conversation topic. I don’t know what Heather wants, but I’d be willing to let her be if only she’d shut up for a moment while I receive the wasteland key from Cain.

bbI1kDa.png

“Ugh, you’re just ganging up on me,” Heather shouted. “I’m leaving! Don’t try to stop me.”

Heather pushed me to the side and ran down the stairs. Cain was almost on the verge of pulling out all his purple hair in frustration.

“Quickly, Shelly, Vanilla. She’s only going to keep hurting herself like this.”

Cain went down the stairs, and I followed him together with Shelly, though in my mind I was confused as to what he meant by ‘hurting herself’. I don’t see her with a razor blade or anything.

We ran after her, but stopped abruptly when she bumped into an old guy with a lab coat.

“Dr Connal,” I muttered, recognizing his face.

“Would you just get out of my way?” Heather said loudly enough to erase my comment.

“That is absolutely no way to speak to your elders,” Dr Connal said as he straightened his shirt and lab coat.

“I don’t care. Just shut up and move,” Heather said, trying to move past him but the doctor purposefully moved sideways to block her way. The doctor then slapped Heather on the cheek.

“Haven’t your parents taught you any manners?”

“Hey, woah there, geezer. Lay off the girl,” Cain interjected.

“Excuse me. I’m not a geezer,” Dr Connal clarified. “I am a doctor. I’ve worked many years for that title, and in turn I expect to be addressed accordingly.”

Cain looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

“Fine then. Back off, Dr Geezer.”

Rb80Dap.png

I smirked at the remark, but we all heard Heather outright let out a small burst of laughter. However, when inquired upon it, Heather denied the act.

“While I do hate to interrupt your giddy humor, I’m afraid I must. Little girl, where are your parents?”

I widened my eyes. Dr Connal’s intentions were clear: he wanted to take Heather into his orphanage.

I remembered how that little girl Anna had reacted at the mere thought of bringing Shelly to the orphanage to have her trauma eased. She had alluded to certain ‘painful’ events, which though I didn’t know the specifics of, were obviously undesirable for anyone.

“Her parents,” I spoke up without knowing why. Unfortunately I didn’t have a wit quick enough to think of a believable lie right at that moment.

“Um, doctor, her parents are… Um, her parents aren’t h-here anymore,” Shelly said, and a chill went down my spine. It was too late.

“Is that so?” Dr Connal commented. “In that case, I will have to escort you to my orphanage. It is a nice little place for children like you who have been orphaned.”

“I don’t want anything from you! Go away,” Heather barked.

However, Dr Connal would not flinch. He listed a couple of laws or something legal like that to support his actions, and then ordered his staff to seize the pink-haired girl.

“Heyy, not cool. Back off, Dr Old Guy,” Cain tried to pull an orderly’s arm, but was shaken off.

“I suggest you not to interfere, for there may be legal consequences if you do,” Dr Connal stated and went back with his staff and Heather.

We stayed standing there for a while as we tried to recollect what had just happened. One moment, Cain was trying to deal with a headstrong brat, and the next, the brat is taken away by an infamous fascist.

“Oh my god… I-I just,” Shelly said with a shivering voice.

I glanced backward, and saw that her large eyes were filling up with tears. We met eyes, and she instantly broke eye contact with me to leave towards her Gym.

“Shelly!” Cain called her, but she didn’t stop running. “Come, Vanilla. We have to form a plan.”

He also left for the Gym. I stayed where I was for a couple more minutes.

Pikachu hopped off my shoulder, ran a little bit toward the Gym and squeaked turning its head back at me.

“Think for a second,” I told him. “This is not in the deal I struck with Florinia. The old folk who is also a doctor isn’t Team Meteor and hence not a threat I have to take care of. True, what Anna told me doesn’t give me the good vibes, but keep in mind that they’re the orphans. They’re obviously going to exaggerate how badly they’re treated by staff, like how Heather exaggerates her father’s mistreatment. Perhaps Dr Connal can straighten up that punk’s twisted character once and for all.”

Pikachu furrowed its brows again, and ran towards me once more only to move its body around my ankles in an ‘8’ shape. His intermittent squeaks were most likely saying ‘please’ over and over.

“What’s gone into you? We barely know Heather, and the parts we know about her are all against her favor.”

Right then, though, I heard a scream so sharp and loud that it could be heard even through the walls. There was no mistaking that voice - it was Heather’s.

Pikachu and I looked at each other for a couple of seconds.

“Fine, you win. Let’s go,” I sighed and ran towards the Lapis Gym.

Spoiler
  • Cain (+1): 5/10 He's consistent in wanting to help people and pokemon in distress. Acted like a correct adult this time round.
  • Dr Connal (-2): 3/10 What is he planning to do? He went too far to slap a 10-year-old, even if said brat was being annoying.
  • Note that Fern remains the same because he's still the same jerk as last time.
  • Note that Heather remains the same because she is visibly distressed and anything she says/does doesn't reflect her character.

BONUS PIC

Spoiler

Trained up @Jess favorite pokemon. Look forward to his debut in the VS Shade episode (which might be 1 or 2 episodes from this one) :P

O71CjM2.png

Hello~ :3 On behalf of Vanilla, I'd like to thank you all for the continued support! 2,000 views and going strong!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, J-Awesome_One said:

Omg. <3 I'm loving this too much. You're doing really, really AWESOME on this. Like, I want to do a new story in Reborn but as myself now. XD I can't wait for the next update. And I can slightly see the turning point of Vanilla wanting to help people.

Hehe, I'm glad it's entertaining :) Yup a little step forward for Vanilla, but unfortunately I can see her taking a step back in some episodes from now... stay tuned haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Q-Jei said:

Hey! I just read your run, I t’s a good playthrough you have there. Vanilla rocks, can’t wait to see her wreaking havoc in the orphanage filled with sense of justice!

Thanks~ though whether Vanilla has a sense of justice right now is debatable (I'm writing her and yet I don't even know). She certainly seems influenced by her traveling companion, who does have a stronger sense of justice than her haha

tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gifFrom Everland to Reborn ~ Episode 15tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gif

I didn’t really have to go back into Shelly’s room, because just as I was going up the stairs, I saw Cain and Shelly coming down.

“I’ve convinced Shelly that rescuing Heather is our priority now,” Cain told me. “We just heard Heather’s scream. We gotta hurry.”

Apparently Heather’s scream was so piercing that its sound waves transcended the laws of walls and physics.

“I don’t particularly mind, since police and I have been at odds for many years. What about you, though? Don’t you fear the legal repercussions?”

“It’s true that we might get caught and have a bad time,” Cain noted as e walked down the last stretch of stairs. “But Heather’s having one hell of a time now, so I think I’ll run the risk.”

That dumb weakness of yours might get used against you, I thought but decided against saying it aloud. I’m here to get stronger, not to be everyone’s councelor.

“I will help because Pikachu asked me to, but unlike you, I’ll not run any risks,” I clarified. “Don’t place too much trust on me, for in case I default.”

“Don’t worry~ I’ll cover up if you bail out. Though I doubt you will~.”

I sent a sharp look at Cain, but e just smiled widely. I then looked at Shelly, who was behind im and partially hiding, and she raised her shoulders and shrunk her neck. What about me is that intimidating, is something I would like to ask her sometime later.

At the orphanage, we discovered that the door was locked. However, not even a minute passed before we heard a sound from the inside and the door got unlocked.

“How did you know we were outside?” Cain asked when we went in and found Anna at the entrance.

“Hehe, I saw Vanilla’s glowiness through the door, so I unlocked it for you,” Anna said, surprisingly cheerfully given she probably saw a rampaging 10-year-old being forced in by a few orderlies.

GmmXAIP.png

“I’m guessing you came for the pink-haired girl?” Charlotte rose up from the sofa. “She really wasn’t taking it easy.”

“W-We came to rescue her,” Shelly spoke up.

“In that case, I think we can help them. What d’ya say?”

Noel and Anna agreed immediately. Why do I keep running into naive children?

“We can help and we will. That’s what friends are for, right?” Anna said, taking both of my hands. I let her hold them, though I would much rather she let go of me.

“You should know that your chances are slim given you’re outnumbered, though,” Charlotte said.

“Our pokemon were confiscated, so we can’t be much of a physical support,” Noel concurred. “But I guess if you’ll get in trouble anyways, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to try and see until where you can get.”

I sighed. This will be a long day.

“We can’t be a physical support, but I think I can distract some of the orderlies for you,” Charlotte grinned with vicious intent written all over her face. She left us for a moment alone, and went through one of the doors to where apparently about three orderlies were resting. We heard her asking for cigarettes. I could tell from the first time I met her, but this confirmed that Charlotte is a rebel. Perhaps she has some similarity with me, but I value my health too much to smoke.

Once she was taken to God knows where, a Circuit or whatever it’s called, we were noticed by three other orderlies who casually passed by. These children’s and perhaps our exodus was just starting.

“Guess that’s our cue~” Cain said, nonchalantly as always.

I took the middle man on, while Cain and Shelly battled the two on both sides. The poor bloke must’ve been thinking he trained to become a caretaker, not a pokemon trainer, for it showed in his mediocre battling skills.

“Make this quicker for all of us,” I told him. “Go tell the other orderlies not to stand in our way.”

“Like I would. You’re the intruders, so don’t go about ordering us,” the orderly said, and went on to do exactly the opposite of what I advised. They even pulled Noel upstairs with them for no reason, too. Stupid. Jokes on them, since that experience will only toughen up my team to wreck that con-doctor Connal.

“You’re really strong,” Anna said to all three of us, but looking at shy Shelly, she got closer to her. “Your name is Shelly, right? Wanna be friends?”

“Friends? Um… but I-”

“I know you already have many friends, but I’m sure there’s room for one more? Please?”

Shelly looked confused and I saw her take one sneaky step backward from Anna.

“I don’t have many friends,” she said in a low voice. “I-I only have Heather, who was taken here.”

“That’s not what I see, though?” Anna batted her eyes. “I see many strings of friendship attached to you. I’ve never seen so many! So many people care deeply about you.”

67lzNfs.png

Guess this Anna girl is also a natural in cheering people up like Victoria. Or perhaps I’m the only one without that skill? Not that I care.

“Sorry to interrupt the heartwarming discourse,” I said. “But the other orderlies are probably on the way here. Let’s get this over with before the cops are involved.”

“That’s true. If we work together, there’s nothing we can’t do~ Look, I’ll block the way there,” Cain said with a melodic tone, and pointing at a doorway on the far right. That was where the three orderlies had come in from. “Vanilla and Shelly, go upstairs and free Noel and Heather if you can.”

Shelly twitched a little, glanced my way but immediately lowered her gaze. Despite her obvious disinclination, though, she approached me in small steps.

“Um, okay. I’ll watch y-your back,” she told me.

“Let’s go.”

SPliept.png

We went up the stairs, where we found some children coloring and watching TV like nothing weird was going on. Before continuing with our mission, though, I had to clear up some stuff that was bugging my conscience for quite a while.

“Shelly,” I called the purple haired girl. The sudden mention of her name made her jump a little.

“W-what is it?”

“What about me is scary for you? Is it because my pale everything makes me look like a ghost? The walking dead, perhaps?”

Shelly widened her eyes, and for the first time looked at me without moving her gaze away.

“O-oh, I’m sorry. I’m sorry it came off t-that way,” she shivered. “Um, it’s nothing personal actually. It’s j-just that you remind me of someone else.”

“Another albino person?”

“N-no. He doesn’t look anything l-like you. Um, I think… I think it’s your eyes.”

“My eyes?”

“I-I don’t know how to explain, but y-your eyes look, um, hollow? Like they’ve lost their shine,” she explained, but now she was looking toward the floor. “S-sorry, I don’t even know what I’m saying. S-sorry if I offended you. You can forget, um, what I said.”

I relaxed my tense eyebrows.

“You didn’t offend me. I like to maintain distance with people, so I asked for your opinion. Now I know I should accentuate my eyes.”

Shelly looked up at me, but then I passed in front of her and towards the orderlies that were walking towards us.

“What’s this? Some naughty kids?”

“We don’t even need pokemon to take care of them,” the female orderly laughed. “Just put them in the Circuit. They’ll be next to get the treatment once Dr Connal is done with the new girl.”

The male orderly grabbed Shelly by the wrist. She cried in pain because her wrist was being twisted, but did not resist the abuse.

“Don’t you know it’s despicable to hurt children?” I said, tensing my face once more.

“What, little girl? Don’t you see you’re a naive child too?”

“Let her go, or I’ll show you I’m not a child anymore,” I raised a fist for them to know what I meant, but the two orderlies just laughed.

“Seize her.”

“You asked for it.”

When the female orderly ran towards me, I waited until she was close enough to touch me to counter. I saw a wide opening in her, for she thought she was seconds before grabbing my arm too. Unfortunately for her, it was a trap. I pulled my arm backward, and instead raised my knee directly into her stomach. I don’t know whether from shock or the impact, but the woman fell down, practically paralyzed.

“You-” the other orderly tried to slap me while still holding Shelly, but his movement was too slow. If I let him even touch me, I’d be disgracing my name and my training.

I was about to revenge-punch him, when Pikachu sprang from my shoulder to tackle and bite his face. He screamed and wobbled backwards holding his cheek. At the same time, he let go of Shelly, and I gave her physical support so she wouldn’t fall to the floor. Pikachu jumped back to me once he was pleased about saving his companion.

The orderly, with a jaw that would probably get inflammed in a few minutes, pressed a hidden switch on the wall, which closed a metal gate between him and us.

“Try getting through this then,” he said and left upstairs. The woman who I winded, too, picked herself up with remarkable effort and scurried away.

“Um, thanks,” Shelly said. “I t-think we should ask Anna for a way to, um, unlock the gate.”

She started towards the stairs, but I stopped her.

“Why didn’t you struggle for freedom just now?”

I walked around her so that I could see her face. She had her eyebrows knit and I took note that she was still trembling.

“Um, I’m weak so I wouldn’t have been able to f-free myself anyway.”

“So you were going to give up just then?”

Shelly glanced at me and nodded with insignificant movement.

I sighed and placed a hand on my forehead.

“You said you don’t have friends. You’ve repeated it enough for me to remember,” I said. “Yet, your attitude doesn’t reflect that. What would you have done if I weren’t here?”

Shelly was silent, so I continued.

“Your attitude tells me you’re dependent on others. If you can’t do it, you give up, because someone will come to help you out, right?”

The girl was still looking down, so I pinched her lower jaw to force her eyes to meet mine. She obeyed for a moment, but then her irises fixed to my right, where Pikachu was.

“Look at me. If that Heather girl is important to you, show it. There won’t always be someone to do the job for you. After all, each of us has to protect what is precious to us, and people don’t have time to protect what is precious to you in your stead.”

I brusquely let go of the girl’s mandible. Shelly was still at a loss of words, but I didn’t think that was a bad thing. At least she wasn’t apologizing.

Downstairs we found Anna watching Cain destroy through the orderlies’ teams.

“They closed a gate on us,” I explained succinctly.

“That’s no good. How do they expect us to rescue anyone if they go and do a thing like that?” Anna pointed her lips. “Well, I do know a switch that can help you open it. It’s down that hall and to the left.”

“You stay here and rest,” I told Shelly. “Pikachu, you stay here with her.”

I had to fight some orderlies by myself, but at least they were smarter than those upstairs, and used pokemon to attempt to stop me. I managed to reach the hidden switch with minimal difficulty, and returned to the lobby where I had left Shelly. She looked at me and if my eyes saw correctly, she relaxed her facial muscles. That’s new.

“Nice work Cain,” Anna said, and I directed my attention toward im. E had managed to push the tide back, and had already liberated Charlotte by the time Shelly and I got where e was. Needless to say, e was singing all the while is pokemon KO’d the foes.

“You’re singing at a time like this?” Charlotte asked, for she didn’t know this guy. “You’re a regular magical princess, aren’t you?”

“Someday my prince will come and sweep me away,” Cain said, just as is nidoking attacked a persian with its horn. “Charlotte, dear, be my prince?”

“Hah, as if,” the pink haired punk laughed.

The orderlies, with no more pokemon left to take us on, retreated backwards. We didn’t lose the opportunity to go forward, and we eventually reached a storage room with all sorts of junk but also useful stuff.

“Four sets of pokemon lined up. Charlotte, Anna, Noel… oh and Heather,” she commented as she placed the balls in a plastic bag. “Oh, and an attractive pack of cigs. Hello, sexy.”

There was little more left for us to do there. We ran upstairs to the highest floor, liberating Noel on our way. There, we found a rather disturbing scene. Not even the loudest chorus of machinery could distract our eyesight.

Dr Connal and a few orderlies were there in a room. Heather was lying motionless on a hard hospital bed, but we also noticed she was hooked by various cables to a large black-and-yellow monster. The monster, which the pokedex told me was an electivire, looked at us with a hopeless expression. I heard Pikachu growl at it, and I assumed it was sad to see a comrade be so lifeless.

“Now doctor, we’ve come to join the party. How do you like it?” Charlotte grinned as she sent her ninetales forward. “Have you got a diagnosis for you situation? Because I have one for you: Royally fucked.”

W4dDjIx.png

I thought Florinia was my favorite out of all these oddballs, but I think the punk is climbing up the ladder fast.

“Cute. Have you had your fun, Charlotte?” Dr Connal asked with composure, but I could smell his despair.

“I’ve just started. Let me have some more fun, doctor. Release the girl, or else,” Charlotte approached the doctor, and pressed the butt of her cigarette onto his hand. The doctor jerked his hand in pain.

“Woah, you don’t have to burn the guy,” Cain said and I rolled my eyes. Was e blind or didn’t e see that this same man was inflicting pain through electrocution to these kids?

“I just had an urge to do this for the longest time,” Charlotte smiled. “Now I can cross it out of my bucket list.”

“Enough. I care little for this power struggle,” Dr Connal sighed while still pressing a hand over the burned area. “Take the girl, but keep in mind that I took the liberty to contact the authorities, and they’ll be here any second now.”

Of course, now that we had what we came there for, there was no use in sticking around any longer. We took the cue and ran out of the building as a group.

“Hey,” I realized that Archer’s gang’s bicycles and others which probably belonged to another gang, were still placed outside of an apartment. “All of you, take a bicycle to run away faster.”

“How dare you? I’m going to get scolded,” Razzy said, almost crying.

“Not my problem. Send my toxic regards to Archer.”

“Is this really alright?” Cain asked me about the bikes when we were out of Lapis Ward.

“The cops are after us already. Little difference it makes whether we also stole bikes from a couple of gangs.”

Our destination? Apparently to the railnet, which had an access to the only place any of us could think of running to - Charlotte’s family’s lakeview home.

Spoiler
  • Shelly (-1): 4/10 Can't like submissive, defenceless people.
  • Charlotte (+1): 6/10 Got attitude but in the right ways.
  • Dr Connal (-1): 2/10 Now I've seen it. With my own eyes.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Favorite. Chapter. So much awesomeness going around! And the story telling! Really liking the interaction between Vanilla and Shelly. Honestly, probably my favorite pairing with Vanilla as of right now. I'm kinda surprised that there wasn't a slight increase of reputation with Anna but I suppose she and Vanilla didn't interact much in this scene. Very well done. Can't wait for the next update. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArcherEric said:

So much violence <3

Also why are cain's pronouns without h's?

Edit: thank god for editors

Theres no internet in korea

Because e is clearly not a boy, and I chose to give im pronouns appropriate to his sexual orientation :P

Can't be Violent-Vanilla if there ain't some punches and kicks, right~

tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gifFrom Everland to Reborn ~ Episode 16tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gif

We heard the police approaching, but realized they were headed to Lapis Ward and going through Opal bridge. Once they passed the bridge, our surroundings became quiet again.

I had thought that Opal Ward had either not been affected by the infamous earthquakes, or that Ame had prioritized its renovation, because the floors and stairs near the Grand Hall were all pretty clean and unharmed. However, seeing this part of Opal Ward made me change my mind. The floor was full of small and large cracks - some of them large enough to allow a child to slip through to the abyss. I’m not a child, but I can’t argue that I don’t look like one, so I carefully watched my every step.

N1CE3Fz.png

Everyone was quiet as we made our way through, probably because we were full of apprehension at being discovered by the cops. I, for one, don’t have time to get imprisoned.

“Ah, damn it,” Charlotte cursed as she tinkered with some old machine near some large gates. “The computer won’t turn on.”

The punk punched the wall next to the machine.

“Um, I-I think I know what we c-can do,” Shelly said in a low raspy voice. “These gates are, um, old from w-when Yureyu flourished. Maybe, um, maybe the computer’s still connected to the old power plant?”

“Old power plant? Wait, that’s where Mr Shadow lives!” Anna exclaimed. “I bet if someone went up there and asked, he’d gladly turn the electricity on.”

Everyone save for Anna and me looked to random directions. The silence was full of awkwardness, for whatever reason. Who was this Mr Shadow again?

“Is this that ghost-looking man who took away Corey’s body?” I asked Shelly, who in turn tightened her lips and nodded.

“He’s also a Reborn Gym leader,” Noel explained.

“Ah, I know! Vanilla, you’re doing the Reborn League challenge, right? Why don’t you go up to Mr Shadow’s? Then we can kill two birds with one stone,” Anna looked up to me with glittering dreamy eyes.

gHVl1dS.png

“Fine,” I shrugged. “Try not to get caught by the cops while I’m absent.”

“Don’t underestimate us,” Charlotte grinned.

I took a glance to Heather, who still had the same cold empty expression and was, for the first time since I met her, quiet. Shelly placed an arm around the pink-haired girl and nodded at me. I only closed my eyes and turned.

I mounted my bike and sped up the streets of Peridot and Jasper, almost running over a few pedestrians.

Shade’s Gym was in Beryl Ward, but away on its eastern edge. I passed by the pokemon center to pick up a new member, who I’d been training in my spare time. A sawsbuck, which started out as a little deerling. His name was Bambi, obviously named after one of the most famous athletes at our school. I felt Bambi would come in handy for this battle, since Shade is a ghost-type user, and the guide said ghost type attacks have no effect on normal types.

I went out of the pokemon center and caressed Pikachu’s head.

“Are you afraid of ghosts?” I asked him, but instead of an answer, he tickled my neck and cheek with his fluffy tail. “I’m not afraid. I only fear the living, not the dead.”

That was a lie, but an unharmful one.

Crossing the Beryl bridge on a bicycle was incredibly refreshing, despite the site being fresh in my memory because of Corey’s suicide. Just in front of Shade’s Gym, which really was an old power plant, I met an absol. It might even be the same one I once caught a glimpse of just before Corey’s suicide, but when it realized I was observing it, it jumped towards the top of the stone mountain.

I don’t know what I expected, but I think this was exactly it. Shade’s Gym was so dark I felt it could eat me alive and not make a single sound. Pikachu squealed quietly, and I petted his fur to stop its shivers, though I hoped he wouldn't feel my own hand trembling.

“Hello, Vanilla. You’re at Shade’s Gym now?” Ame asked me as I collected the Field Effect read-out for this field.

“Yeah,” I cleared my throat.

“If nothing’s changed, it should be pitch black there. Shade uses that darkness to power up ghost type attacks.”

“Since it’s still a factory-like field, I assume it also boosts electric and steel type moves?”

“Not all moves, but some yes. Also actually, you can change the field into a normal factory field, if you use the move Discharge.”

I shrugged, though Ame could not see me.

“Too bad I don’t have electric types. Whatever, I’ll get going.”

I pulled out my pokegear and Ame wished me luck before disconnecting.

Shade’s Gym was different in many aspects compared to the other Gyms I’d been to. Like Corey’s, it had no other trainers, but unlike the former, there were wild ghost pokemon roaming around in the eerily dark power plant. To add to the spooky atmosphere, Shade had also edited some videos to show his challengers - the first one I watched was of Corey falling off the bridge. Another one was of Amaria apparently getting pushed off by some redhead girl. The other two, though, I wasn’t sure what to make of them since the characters were people I didn’t know. An old woman got cut in half by a blue dragon pokemon, while a green haired woman somehow exploded into pieces. Shade must be fun at parties.

Finally, though, I reached where he was, though it took me a while to make out his shadow in the darkness. The malfunctioning lights flickered sometimes, allowing me to see my target and risk letting out a foolish scream. The experience wasn’t fun in any sense of the word for Pikachu either.

2GYcIY1.png

“Shade, I need you to turn this power plant on so we can escape the cops,” I told him.

He was silent for a while, but then he smiled. Yes, I saw his white teeth contrasting on his black shadow.

“Battle…” I heard him say, though I wasn’t sure if he actually said it. It felt more like a thought in my mind rather than a voice.

“That’s also what I came here for,” I clenched a fist and sent out my first pokemon, Prince.

6B1KxbK.png

Spoiler

Leading off with Prince was a correct choice, because not only did he tank a stupid darkness-boosted + critical hit shadow ball from gengar, but also was able to revenge-kill in one shot. In a good move from Shade, he sent out a grass type to kill Prince off, but I switched into Elsa. I knew the frail fox wouldn't be able to take any hits, but at least a Freeze-Dry cut dhelmise's energy. I thought it froze, actually, but bad luck for us, dhelmise thawed immediately, which also meant bye to Elsa. I then sent out Anna and dhelmise went down. Against rotom, I had a perfect match - my new mate, Bambi. Given that it's a grass/normal type, rotom wouldn't be able to do anything. Unfortunately, the orange bulb turned out to be tankier than I expected. I had to switch midway to heal Bambi up, but when I sent him out again, Shade chickened out and withdrew rotom for a doublade. I have a fighting-type move on Bambi, but given that doublade is a ghost type, I was out of strategies. I switched into Anna, who lo and behold one shotted the swords. This time around, rotom did go down to Bambi's Horn Leech. Bannette also didn't last long, since I increased Anna's Hex's power by first burning it. Shade's last pokemon was a fairy/ghost type, Mimikyu. I stayed in with Anna, but the pikachu-looking ghost didn't get any damage on the first turn, and instead attacked and fainted my Anna. Thankfully, I still had Golden Key at full health, and with type advantage, I was able to win the Gym battle.

Once the battle was over, Shade hid his creepy smile.

“Omen badge… yours…” he said, and the badge floated to my hands. He also gave me the TM Shadow Claw, which I appreciated even if I doubted any of my party could learn the move.

“Power?” Shade once again smiled. “Activate.”

The sudden lights almost blinded me. Now instead of his smile, Shade’s human-shaped shadow was clearly visible. There were also some aura surrounding him, which I dared not make contact with. What was he, really?

“I do not fear you,” I said to make it clear to him and myself. “If you’re done, I’ll get going.”

“... Observe,” Shade said, turning to a large screen behind him.

I watched as the screen flashed on and displayed the orphans, Shelly and Cain.

“What are you plotting?” I instantly snapped.

Shade took a glimpse of me, grinned, but said not a word. I once again paid attention to the screen. As we had planned, the gates of the railnet opened, but some people were already waiting for them on the other side.

“This is more convenient than I expected,” said a man wearing an eyepatch, who I recognized from the Peridot factory I stormed with Julia and Florinia. “Seize them.”

A large number of Team Meteor grunts emerged from the other side of the gate, chasing and catching every orphan. I saw Heather get caught easily and follow the grunts with unusual complacency. Shelly resisted a little more than when we had our confrontation, but she eventually gave up and followed the grunts much like Heather. Charlotte sent out her ninetales, only to have both her and her pokemon seized by around ten grunts. Only Cain, from what I could see, managed to escape the grunts and block the way for them by breaking the path with nidoking’s Earthquake.

“Sir?” the bewildered grunt asked his superior eyepatch man.

“Let him leave. He’s not part of the deal,” the man said, and made a 180-degree turn on the spot before walking toward the gate. “We’ve got everything the doctor ordered.”

That was when Shade’s screen turned off.

“So the damned doctor was a Team Meteor agent,” I widened my eyes. “What about you, Shade? Are you one of them too?”

Shade was silent, as he usually preferred to remain.

“If I find out you’re one of them,” I barked. “I’ll come back for you. I don’t care if you’re a ghost, I’ll kill you once more, if needed be.”

Then, I ran out of the Gym, hopped onto my bike and pedaled back to the railnet. Hopefully Cain would still be there, and we could think of a way to get the children back.

TEAM RECAP

Spoiler

38zKyaO.pngSkjOIHr.pngsciNkPn.png0q7jk9K.pngFKz1ozc.png4FlTAeO.png3ITMdhu.pngrxpTH7Y.pngYulS6Ay.pngaBRc7dh.png

Spoiler
  • Shade: 3/10 Creepy, doesn't seem to be on our side so no thanks.
  • Shelly (+1): 5/10 I see she's putting effort, though it'll probably take a significant amount of time.
  • Dr Connal (-1): 1/10 Wow now he's Team Meteor on top of being a con-doctor?

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, J-Awesome_One said:

Candy... You're like a mastermind when it comes to this stuff. I applaud you. Someone from Japan! Make this into an Anime stat! Haha. Really loving this. And there's more of Vanilla somewhat caring for people and doing stuff for others! Great work as always.

Honestly tho, you might think I do all the work but actually it's thanks to readers like you that I can keep writing :P I'm an easily demotivated lazy potato~

Besides, Reborn already has a well crafted storyline, so it's easy to add bits and pieces of decoration haha

I won't spoil anything, but you might be a lil sad in the next episode... don't sue me for instilling depression!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Candy said:

Honestly tho, you might think I do all the work but actually it's thanks to readers like you that I can keep writing :P I'm an easily demotivated lazy potato~

Besides, Reborn already has a well crafted storyline, so it's easy to add bits and pieces of decoration haha

I won't spoil anything, but you might be a lil sad in the next episode... don't sue me for instilling depression!

I know how you feel. And that's deff true. And that's ok. You can always be predictable. There's not gonna be an unexpected death though is there? o.O

12 hours ago, Candy said:

I can slightly relate to this... If nobody enjoys it, then why do it? I know many readers remain silent, but it's nice to have a comment here and there :) 

Especially if it's such a cool idea of a custom run!

It's same as my Rejuv run topic. @J-Awesome_One is very nice to provide feedback! :) 

By the way, I am liking this run too, Candy... The more so now that Bambi is active and helping! And quite unlucky to get Paralysed by 1st Discharge)

But anyways, you're doing a nice job with a character personality development-oriented run. I'm focusing more on Pokemon personality development in my run :D 

• Thanks 1