(Developing) Byxbysion Ward

AiedailEclipsed

• Supporter

Byxbysion Ward

"In memory of what this place was, so that it may never be again."

a content addition mod by AiedailEclipsed

In the Episode 16 release of Reborn, we see Reborn City brought up from its previously squalid conditions and into a bright and shining new era. Well. Most of Reborn City. Arguably the area most physically affected by the machinations of Team Meteor -- inadvertently at that, -- is the Byxbysion Wasteland. It is a festering pit of filth and toxic waste, unable to provide refuge or home to most city residents in a time when they need it most. And during the player's absence and subsequent return to the city, many surely thought that we might see a restored Byxbysion area. Unfortunately, no -- during the development period, Ame did contemplate giving Byxbysion a fresh coat of paint (read: completely and totally gut the place and start over) like the rest of the city, but the effort required would likely have drastically pushed back the release date even further. We can see nods towards in-game acknowledgement that the Byxbysion area is the next major project to be undertaken in restoring the city, but it likely wouldn't be something that we could ever actually get to see. Well, I decided to change that.

What this mod aims to do

To put it simply, I aim to add in the Byxbysion Ward mentioned within the game's files. I plan to do this very, very carefully so that it could hopefully be able to be "dropped" into any current Reborn game and picked up without noticing any in-game weirdness or conflicting with the core Reborn game information. In order to do this, I've "set aside" the last 25 maps that can be created in an RPG Maker XP game in order to avoid conflicts with the core Reborn game for as long as possible (if it may ever happen). In addition, any events that will be created will be leaps after the current Reborn switches and variables. I'm hoping to minimize my impact on the core game as much as possible, in respect for what Ame has created, while adding my own flair and creating an experience congruent with the world it inhabits. I will also only be utilizing previously existing Reborn assets (minor edits to those not withstanding).

What this mod will NOT do

This mod will not add encounters of any kind that would happen before the "canon" location is available to you (ie, you won't be able to find a Scyther in the tall grass or through a gifted encounter). Further along those lines, you won't be able to find or buy items that would otherwise be inaccessible to you within the limits of the current canon game.

Frequently Asked Questions

Spoiler

Q: What does Ame think of this mod?

A: When I brought it up, she thought it was impressive and gave it her Ciel of Approval.

Q: When is the release date?

A: I'm doing this in my spare time, whilst working full time, working on my personal websites/projects, and volunteering commitments. It's gonna take some time. If you want to keep track of development, check back on this thread for updates and look at the progress report.

Q: Can you guarantee this won't break my game?

A: Nope. Largely, this will depend on how proactive I am with making sure that nothing conflicts with the core Reborn files. As long as nothing is drastically changed there, there shouldn't be issues that would break your game that wouldn't be present in the core Reborn game.

Q: Do you need any help/assistance?

A: Not at the moment. I'm relatively handy with Photoshop, have a relatively okay understanding of Essentials & mapping, and am willing to learn what I might not already know. I will announce if I need any assistance or help, so please keep an eye out.

Q: Can I be a beta tester?

A: At the moment, we're pretty far off from a release of any kind. I will make it abundantly clear when the time for beta testing arises and will put out an appropriate call for volunteers.

Screenshots

Click here to follow along with development snapshots arranged by date!

Spoiler

100717b.png

Progress Report

Spoiler

N E W   C O N T E N T - content exclusive to this mod

########## - Exterior Mapping (70%)

########## - Exterior Eventing (0%)

########## - Interior Mapping (20%)

########## - Interior Eventing (0%)

============================

########## - Subtotal (22%)

C H A N G E D   C O N T E N T - content from the core Reborn game

########## - Mapping (75%)

########## - Eventing (0%)

########## - Subtotal (37%)

T E S T I N G - making sure shit don't get (too) fucked up

########## - Self Testing (0%)

########## - Beta Testing (0%)

########## - Subtotal (0%)

T O T A L

########## - 19%

Change Log

Spoiler

The following is a detailed change log to go along with the mod. This is one way in which I hope to maintain the maximum possible compatibility between this mod and the core Reborn game.

N E W   C O N T E N T - anything that does not exist within the core Reborn game

• Tile set (ID 99 :: Neo Byxbysion Ward)
  • Map (ID 975 :: main Byxbysion Ward worldspace)
  • Map (ID 976 :: Byxbysion Pokemon Center)
  • Map (ID 977 :: Byxbysion PokeMart)
  • Map (ID 978 :: Byxbysion Ward generic interior worldspace)

C H A N G E D   C O N T E N T - anything altered within the core Reborn game

• Map (ID 210 :: Byxbysion Gate) -- widened the entire room, changed furniture to suit new space, moved events as necessary, duplicated the door events to transfer properly to S. Obsidia & Wasteland
  • Map (ID 209 :: Byxbysion Wasteland) -- various tile errors, mirrored the fancy Reborn-esque door from the S. Obsidia map, duplicated the door event to transfer properly to Gate
  • Map (ID 133 :: Police Station) -- added the Byxbysion police station to the existing police station map

• Global Mods

This is a really neat thing. I assume this ward would only come into existence with the rest of the renovated city, but would it be possible for the area to only get renovated if my Bigglesworth has been defeated?

• Supporter

Howdy hey all! So, to everyone that stopped in and wished me luck and support, ya'll rock! ❤️ Thank you! To address some of the specific questions though... (sorry for the mentions, quoting doesn't seem to work)

@DreamblitzX - That is kind of up in the air at the moment. I'm trying not to be too concerned with the "who, what, when, where, why, and how" of it. I am tinkering with some ideas, but overall, I'm probably not going to plan anything like that until the main area has been finished with mapping.

@V for Vendetta - It's funny that you mention Aya's gym, as that brings us to today's update! Woo!

Development Update #1 - 10/3/2017

100317a.png

So, today I spent a fair bit of time doing some minor detail work. Mostly tinkering with the land form a bit, to better suit my needs (read this as: to somehow tetris a functional, organized city into an area not designed for it), doing some small edits to tiles, and creating a couple of new tiles. One major bit of mapping I did get done was creating a basic layout for the exterior of the new Byxbysion Ward Gym. There are some things on here that are going to need work, but that's okay! I'm not rushing. Do ignore pretty much everything outside of that small fenced area though, as I haven't done much of anything with it. I did say I created a couple of new tiles, and you can see one in use right here. It's that double wide cave opening, which is an edit of the single wide cave opening already present in the Wasteland. I was having a fair bit of difficulty with it, but actually posting the picture seems to have cleared up what I need to fix! So, yay for that? As for the other tile I created... Well, you'll see that soon-ish. ;)

Anyway, to actually address your question now V, the exterior changed a fair bit! In interior? Mmmm. To be honest, I haven't really started making plans for interiors yet. As far as Lana, she'll no longer be present directly in the Gym. She's going to have an actual home to be in, so go her! As for changing her dialogue, I'm going to try not to alter her too much. If Ame hasn't added any specific dialogue about her missing/wondering about her children, I'm not going to add any.

Alright, that wraps up today's update! Stay tuned for whatever craziness I unleash next.

Edited by AiedailEclipsed
updated links

• Supporter

Hey all! I ended up having fair bit of free time today, due to having to go into work tonight to cover for a coworker instead of my normal time. The result is that I have essentially finished mapping the main Byxbysion Ward worldspace! What remains for this map is mainly some slight detail work, nitpick edits, and such. This brings us to today's development update!

Development Update #2 - 10/7/17

100717b.png

Welp, this is it -- this is the bulk of the new mapping that you would be exploring in the mod (well, the exterior maps anyway). I'm sure the keen eyes among you will notice some small changes from previous screenshots, and most obviously, you'll see the rest of the map being filled in! :P As I said above, there is a lot of little detail work and nitpick editing still to be done (please note, that I'm aware there are a few "errors" on the map -- ie the missing railing, the top of the gym sign, etc -- unfortunately, these will have to be fixed by stationary events due to RPG Maker XP limitations). For instance, I've got to put in streetlights and lamp posts on the center and right hand side, recolor the factory to suit our color scheme more, add street signs, fluff the gym exterior with more wasteland detritus, and more.

Some might notice that path that extends down towards the south and past the boundary of the map. I've not quite decided whether or not to go through with mapping that area yet. I don't have a terribly concrete concept in mind, so I'm having difficulty coming up with a purpose for it or even a reason to have it. As much as I like the idea of adding onto the game, I feel it might be going beyond the scope of the mod a bit. In any case, I'm not sure. For now, we're gonna leave that option open and maybe I'll come up with something down the line.

I'm also happy to report that I have concepts in mind for most of the interiors, so I'll be able to go through the interior mapping relatively quickly with any luck. I'm sure some of you might be able to make an educated guess or two for the purpose of each building. Feel free to speculate! Until the next development update goes up (which might be a day or a week or more), I'll confirm or deny any guesses!

Till next time ya'll!

Edited by AiedailEclipsed
updated links

• 1 month later...

first of all, wow.  this is amazing!

second, if you're open to ideas, I have a few thoughts:

• as pretty as the "natural" dirt paths look (i.e. by the PokeCenter), I'm not really sure that they fit.  if Adrienn's team was taking the time to restore Byxbysion, I feel like they would have paved all of the walkways to match how the other wards look.  that said, definitely feel free to keep some of the nice grassy areas around the city, but I think they should be up on a curb above the paved walkways (like the grassy patch circled in the spoiler below), or separated from the pavement by a small row of bricks like in neo-Peridot Ward (see screenshot in spoiler) and in front of the Grand Hall post-renovation (not shown).  that's just my opinion though, and you can leave it as is if you want
Spoiler

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATYwMAItYjQyYy04OWU0LTAwAi0wMAoARgAABJLHlN%2FQa0OqVouobcFxFgcA2Wbgdz907U2Uk%2F6UasVO0gAAAgEMAAAA2Wbgdz907U2Uk%2F6UasVO0gAAAP9Q%2FFIAAAABEgAQAItkSiU7wQJGqsbDvmsqiX4%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20171103.04&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=3n3_H3WWXU2C0cCmKzbYqyA4urfWKtUYPFsILVqrx1za08RDXC0mRHc97bDcgYYYPpM4NkiE6xQ.&token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dCI6ImVuaDlCSnJWUFU1aWpWMXFqWmpWLWZMMmJjbyJ9.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.AR9YD_bemrBLdWEEKkzdh3QAbBJpLHoBhzzZzHkvh9hn8z6aoqsbzuUgD2wtH3L2rdkkpPZHZA0X0Zwqh9uYk3ZWIf2-0vV2JdmgYq9IEMrPgQ-JfUUpLlllY5wmeNGrHUzmNtPp5SBm6S6x0dcrW0JQ7usAXnXpQJLeEA_-qH_aGZbNLqMMIG5eK5tP6JNd5cxj0ztAbLmzPtxLp64KFw4t4Nn6-CZYbQJDop0oSTY4zFaaA7EhELDErcToMf7bDdsoyuvSh1MuIk0IL3rkLuDUl4NJO8W-k6FgG1Ce351KYe2RmTTCrQDAfFNeQFrrY45DNSnRoAZVhqQyRPI-QQ&animation=trueimage.png.a3462a33b57344d81054bd3e3b66202b.png

• I like that you left the caves in the south as they were, since those are natural landforms.  however, I think the wasteland ground in the southwest corner should also be restored to regular green grass — unless, of course, you were thinking that the restoration team wouldn't have entered the caves at all.  the latter would explain that area still being full of waste, and is a perfectly legitimate scenario.  if that's the case, feel free to ignore this bullet point altogether.  leaving the wasteland ground around Aya's gym was a nice touch though (will that grass have different wild encounters from the rest of the ward?) 
  • this is a much smaller thing, but it's still bothering me:  maybe you could put a fountain in the water at the top of the waterfall?  otherwise the water is just coming from nowhere

opinions aside though, this really is incredible.  keep it up!

• 3 years later...