Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

Pokemon Reborn E19 100% Walkthrough

BIGJRA

Question

15 hours ago, Voltron284 said:

Hey great guide are you gonna add episode 19 or are you done with this guide?

I plan to right after I finish E18 content. Stay tuned!

On 7/30/2022 at 11:21 PM, GracieCat96 said:

I have something to add; in the Obsidia Slums, there is a hidden PokeSnax in the trash can to the left of where you can battle Victoria, the one next to the barrier-destroying fridge that the hotshot is walking in front of. I found it by accident and didn't see it in the walkthrough.

I think I come back to this later:

...head back to where Victoria was arguing with the guy earlier and talk to the trashcan to get a *PokeSnax*.

Is it accessible right after beating Victoria? I'm guessing based on where I placed it that I thought you'd have to come back later.

On 7/31/2022 at 9:00 PM, Arth said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hi, first thanks for the guide!!! It has been of immense help.

I noticed that the helix guy in 7th street can take a pidgeot after giving him the farfetch'd and so you can grab the other fossil, and then he trades helix fossils for either the jaw or the sail indefinitely. I thought maybe you'd wanna add that.

Thanks again!

Thanks, I've added a paragraph on the rest of the rewards. Didn't initially since with early Amaura and getting one fossil (Jaw) from the cult, really no need to do more trades there, but might as well add it so people don't do more trades for naught.

21 hours ago, Arth said:

Hello again, now in Byxbysion where you get the dawn stone you can also get TM09 Venoshock

I think that should be in already? The line:

Behind you'll find *TM09 Venoshock* as well as the *PULSE Readout 0*.

On 8/1/2022 at 8:27 PM, BIGJRA said:
On 7/30/2022 at 10:21 PM, GracieCat96 said:

I have something to add; in the Obsidia Slums, there is a hidden PokeSnax in the trash can to the left of where you can battle Victoria, the one next to the barrier-destroying fridge that the hotshot is walking in front of. I found it by accident and didn't see it in the walkthrough.

I think I come back to this later:

...head back to where Victoria was arguing with the guy earlier and talk to the trashcan to get a *PokeSnax*.

Is it accessible right after beating Victoria? I'm guessing based on where I placed it that I thought you'd have to come back later.

You can get it BEFORE battling her, apparently.

• Documented 1

Just as commentary, I think this guide is really well done and one of the better guides/walkthroughs for any game out there, much less fanmade ones.

But, and this is a fairly big caveat, what really keeps it from being perfect is that it really breaks down when it comes to navigational issues during some maps/puzzles, to the point where trying to follow the guide is often more frustration than just bumping along by myself.

For instance, there's a lot of "backtrack to the X" in the guide. While I understand why you might be tempted to write this for the sake of brevity, it's really not helpful. If you're trying to follow a guide while you're playing, your attention is already split. Most likely you're either 1.) going a short distance, looking away to check the guide, and then going another short distance or 2.) following the guide step-by-step (e.g. go left, then up, then right, etc.). By this point, you're so turned around that saying "backtrack to X" is often completely meaningless. Not to mention it's often vague, how do you know if you've backtracked too far, especially without visual references?

There's also elements of the guide where trying to follow it is almost completely incomprehensible. For instance, in the Forces of Nature new world in the post-game section of the guide, the directions for following along are unnecessarily vague. It's a lot of "go up and down the ladders", but the issue is that you often don't know if you go up one ladder and down one more, or if you go up and down a series of ladders. There's one part where "follow the ladders up and down" end up being like 4 or 5 ladders, and it's particularly jarring when you follow that up with "backtrack to the fork" after. I don't know how many ladders I'm supposed to backtrack up and down because the guide doesn't specify. And this is made especially worse because the map in question has invisible bridges so you're not actually sure if the "dead end" is actually the dead end (with an invisible bridge) that you're looking for.

As someone who has written guides for games before, I understand the struggle. This game is especially bad for it because a lot of positions are hard to find, have poor visibility, or are otherwise painful to get to. But basically you have to be extremely explicit with your directionality and maneuvering instructions because what seems basic for you while playing is not going to be basic for someone whose attention is split while trying to follow your guide. The act of looking back and forth to verify with the guide, or alt-tabbing if you don't have multiple monitors, is going to make basic maneuvering hard to remember or follow.

Big kudos for making one of the best guides out there, but ultimately the vagueness of a lot of the instructions has me either searching for visual walkthroughs or just fumbling through it myself.

On 6/1/2023 at 10:33 AM, Katabatic said:

Just as commentary, I think this guide is really well done and one of the better guides/walkthroughs for any game out there, much less fanmade ones.

But, and this is a fairly big caveat, what really keeps it from being perfect is that it really breaks down when it comes to navigational issues during some maps/puzzles, to the point where trying to follow the guide is often more frustration than just bumping along by myself.

For instance, there's a lot of "backtrack to the X" in the guide. While I understand why you might be tempted to write this for the sake of brevity, it's really not helpful. If you're trying to follow a guide while you're playing, your attention is already split. Most likely you're either 1.) going a short distance, looking away to check the guide, and then going another short distance or 2.) following the guide step-by-step (e.g. go left, then up, then right, etc.). By this point, you're so turned around that saying "backtrack to X" is often completely meaningless. Not to mention it's often vague, how do you know if you've backtracked too far, especially without visual references?

There's also elements of the guide where trying to follow it is almost completely incomprehensible. For instance, in the Forces of Nature new world in the post-game section of the guide, the directions for following along are unnecessarily vague. It's a lot of "go up and down the ladders", but the issue is that you often don't know if you go up one ladder and down one more, or if you go up and down a series of ladders. There's one part where "follow the ladders up and down" end up being like 4 or 5 ladders, and it's particularly jarring when you follow that up with "backtrack to the fork" after. I don't know how many ladders I'm supposed to backtrack up and down because the guide doesn't specify. And this is made especially worse because the map in question has invisible bridges so you're not actually sure if the "dead end" is actually the dead end (with an invisible bridge) that you're looking for.

As someone who has written guides for games before, I understand the struggle. This game is especially bad for it because a lot of positions are hard to find, have poor visibility, or are otherwise painful to get to. But basically you have to be extremely explicit with your directionality and maneuvering instructions because what seems basic for you while playing is not going to be basic for someone whose attention is split while trying to follow your guide. The act of looking back and forth to verify with the guide, or alt-tabbing if you don't have multiple monitors, is going to make basic maneuvering hard to remember or follow.

Big kudos for making one of the best guides out there, but ultimately the vagueness of a lot of the instructions has me either searching for visual walkthroughs or just fumbling through it myself.

Thanks for the kind words and also the criticisms. I have kinda been aware of how this is the case for a little while now but am unsure of exactly what fixing it would entail (timewise I have a lot less now than back when I started). Some musings on the issues I've faced:

1. The biggest reason why navigation and puzzles are unclear is that I have been a bit more hesitant with pictures than I should be. The only way I know right now to get full map images is to splice together a bunch of RPG Maker Screenshots which sounds like a pain, but I've really come around to seeing how doing that would be infinitely more helpful than blocks of unclear text.

2. Another thing is that, in your criticisms and in some others I've seen, the postgame puzzle solutions suffer especially. Ame and team really hit their stride with massive maps and complicated puzzles during the postgame, while I was really just itching to reach a finished version of the massive guide while playing/writing the later parts of the postgame.

3. I can't really shake my biases as a player - I played E18 like 8 times before E19 came out so I have definitely moved away from the "first-time player" lens. I'm trying to take feedback on this one best as possible to account for this and really focus on pretending like I know nothing as a reader and seeing if I'm confused or not.

I'm still proud of the work overall, but will try to slowly start accounting for these things when I have time and motivation to revise it. I do really appreciate feedback!

On 6/6/2023 at 11:40 AM, BIGJRA said:

1. The biggest reason why navigation and puzzles are unclear is that I have been a bit more hesitant with pictures than I should be. The only way I know right now to get full map images is to splice together a bunch of RPG Maker Screenshots which sounds like a pain, but I've really come around to seeing how doing that would be infinitely more helpful than blocks of unclear text.

I would say you don't need to do this for every zone (and that's a lot of work that isn't very fun). But for every time you use "backtrack to X", you should probably include a screenshot of the location, so when players are navigating back to where they should be going, they aren't wondering "am I in the right spot?"

Many levels don't really need pictures, because they're fairly linear and the instructions are pretty clear (good job), but for maps with a lot of branches it can be a nightmare to navigate. Zones like the Rhidocrine Jungle, Sugiline Cave, Victory Road, and the Waterfall hopping in the mountains are painful even with very clear instructions, simply because "go out the top" or "go up the waterfall" could be ambiguous when said route or waterfall is behind two bends and you can't be sure if reached the aforementioned point. And for very involved dungeons, it's probably better to use bullets or an ordered list so you don't get lost in all of the lefts and rights.

2. Another thing is that, in your criticisms and in some others I've seen, the postgame puzzle solutions suffer especially. Ame and team really hit their stride with massive maps and complicated puzzles during the postgame, while I was really just itching to

I definitely agree. I think I noticed it too when transitioning to E19 that the guide seems to be a little less familiar with the zones. For instance, Amaria's gym is a maze, but just following the guide step-by-step didn't give me too much trouble. But on the other hand, Victory Road frustrated me to the point where I just started poking around it by myself, because there's only so many "go into the cart" or "cross the track here" (especially since by doing so you get put into a new part of the map) before I get turned around and decide that following a guide is more trouble than just bumping into stuff and seeing if it works.

Part of it is the nature of level design in Reborn. I've criticized it (mostly affectionately) as challenge by inconvenience. There's so many levels where the next step is right there but instead of being able to reach it, you have to loop all the way around. It's super frustrating to do, and I imagine it's much worse to write.

3. I can't really shake my biases as a player - I played E18 like 8 times before E19 came out so I have definitely moved away from the "first-time player" lens. I'm trying to take feedback on this one best as possible to account for this and really focus on pretending like I know nothing as a reader and seeing if I'm confused or not.

I think it's less about trying to view it from the lens of a new player and more about stating things even if they seem obvious to you. We have a natural tendency to not want to come across as too condescending, so we don't try to assume the audience is an idiot. But if you're writing a guide, you have to assume that you're (often considerably) more knowledgeable about the game than the person reading it.

For me, I also played the game a few times (though not approaching 8), so it was more about getting the 100% completion. There was also a couple of times where I probably could have gone through, but I wanted to make sure to get all the optional items and easter eggs. And a lot of times where I wanted to just use debug to walk through walls, but that's probably more a problem with Reborn's level design.

Your expertise is why we even bother to read the guide, so you shouldn't try to change your perspective as much as share as much as you can. Saying too much, for instance, is better than not saying enough.

Overall though, I understand the difficulty. I can't imagine how much time you've put into getting the guide to the level it's at, and it's absolutely on par with any video walkthrough on the internet. There's probably just a few tweaks here and there before I can comfortably say it's the best written guide I've ever seen.

• Thanks 1

wow, crazy guide you got. appreciate the effort! Although if i had any feedback to give so far. I have to say i was not able to find certain things. Maybe i'm being stupid or not following the guide properly, but maybe you can add pictures with arrows and such pointing at the exact locations. It would add a new layer of ease, but other than that honestly pretty well done!

Edited by RaKe
i want to add more to my reply
  • Documented 1

17 hours ago, RaKe said:

wow, crazy guide you got. appreciate the effort! Although if i had any feedback to give so far. I have to say i was not able to find certain things. Maybe i'm being stupid or not following the guide properly, but maybe you can add pictures with arrows and such pointing at the exact locations. It would add a new layer of ease, but other than that honestly pretty well done!

34 minutes ago, RC2K said:

Just started reading the guide and its really well made, I have to agree with rake, at least for the important items, thank you anyways for the effort

If y'all have specifics on which are unclear I can make the text clearer or add pics! I'm guessing you're talking about pre-itemfinder hidden items?

On 5/26/2022 at 1:22 PM, gilam said:

can you please add held items for wild pokemons?.

tnx a lot for this guid.

Probably won't get to this right away but I should be able to add these at some point.

• Like 1

If I were you, I would be too careful about not evolving Igglybuff that came from sidequest. Because you know what kind of a little consequence will have when you evolve Igglybuff. So I would catch Jigglypuff directly if I saw one.

• Documented 1

On 5/29/2022 at 3:52 PM, BIGJRA said:

If y'all have specifics on which are unclear I can make the text clearer or add pics! I'm guessing you're talking about pre-itemfinder hidden items?

Yeah I'm talking about pre itemfinder, no specific items so far just some random potion and stuff takes a little more, but nonetheless knowing the place and what I could be missing is good enough! 

• Documented 1

Addition for the walkthrough:

In the Blacksteam Factory when you're in the cage room, you can teleport Lickitung under Ditto to receive a rare candy.

If you freed Ditto first it is impossible to get.

• Documented 1

On 6/1/2022 at 5:02 PM, Gamemystery84 said:

Listing all of the pokemon that you can only get from a one time event like azurill in a mystery egg would be helpful in the guide so we know what monotype passwords to equip at the start of the game. I need to finish the pokedex at some point. Reseting the game isn't fun. It feels boring to play the game over and over and over.

Btw even with a monowater password you only have a 1/3 chance of getting it. Also there are two other eggs that have a 50 50 chance to make you reset the game. Fun! that is a 9% chance and also those are only the ones I found after looking at the pokemon locations spreadsheet for just 10 minutes when seeing if the monotype passwords are required to 100 percent. You can't even use monodark, because you would need to get a maractus from the egg that gives you that and instead would need the previous egg to be a cacnea. Another idea is to create a completionism club!

I don't know what you're talking about. You can literally get ALL of the Pokemon in the game in one file regardless of what Mystery Eggs you get, just later on. So there are no such Pokemon and it sounds like you're resetting your game for no reason?

Also in the appendices I do list every password effect like monowater and each pokemon it forces.

EDIT: Are you, like, playing E16? Because this would make sense (Cacnea and Marill are avail in the wild in e17 and e18 content) that way. If you haven't gotten E19 yet go do so!

On 6/3/2022 at 12:58 PM, Saijo said:

Addition for the walkthrough:

In the Blacksteam Factory when you're in the cage room, you can teleport Lickitung under Ditto to receive a rare candy.

If you freed Ditto first it is impossible to get.

Thank you! Forgot about this but I will put it in when I get a chance.

• Fixed 1

love the work you put in.

As someone who follows it but explores a little himself here are 2 things you could add:

You can get the fighting memory pre terra by talking to the ferry weel guy in the circus (pre terra fight)

Also you can get a cutscene and the shiny charm in eclipses house pre terra in her room next to her body.

(sorry if you added these already and i just overread it)

• Documented 1

Hey, the guide is great! I'm using it to make sure i don't miss pokemon and items during my playthrough, because the methods can be pretty esoteric sometimes. I really don't want any heads up for relationship/story choices though, and I feel like there's going to be a lot more people with a similar attitude. Could we possibly get a spoiler-free version of this guide with relationship/story choices removed?

This is an amazing guide btw! It is succinct, straight to the point and no spoilers! Hope you can update it soon because I just got back to reborn and don't know what the hell Im supposed to be doing lol 

• Fixed 1

On 6/29/2022 at 7:24 AM, Gamemystery84 said:

"The Power Items downstairs may be 50% more expensive than these but you can buy them just once and use them infinitely many times while these are consumable. No reason to ever buy here."

I disagree, because the power items increase EVS while the stat medicine increases IVS. I don't recommend breeding either, because that will give you two of the same pokemon!

Vitamins do not increase IV's in Reborn.

Obviously to breed or not breed is a subjective question but there are concrete benefits ala Egg Moves and IV hunting if you like doing that.

• Fixed 1

The Nincada encounter in the Byxbysion Wasteland should be bolded since that's the next available chance to catch it after the egg from Malchous Forest. The same can also be said about the Panpour and Pansear encounters in the Spring. In your strategy talk for the Rime badge you say that we have access to the Wide Lens when I think you meant Zoom Lens. In the Tanzan Depths the Geodude and Graveler that you find are their Alolan variants.

Edited by Xander
  • Documented 1

• Documented 1

Spoiler

Hi, first thanks for the guide!!! It has been of immense help.

I noticed that the helix guy in 7th street can take a pidgeot after giving him the farfetch'd and so you can grab the other fossil, and then he trades helix fossils for either the jaw or the sail indefinitely. I thought maybe you'd wanna add that.

Thanks again!

• Documented 1