Game Crashes After Start Screen

So, I've downloaded and played the game in the past with no issues. I've got a new laptop, downloaded the game to start a new run, and I get this crash after the start screen before I ever create a new file and begin the game. To cover a few questions I'm sure will get asked, I've tried redownloading the game (3 times) and I have no mods or anything downloaded. I get the same crash whether I run the GameZ or the regular game. 

Any help resolving this would be appreciated, was looking forward to playing through this again as it's been almost 2 years since my last finished run I think.

rebornwontplay.png

34 minutes ago, MDM1 Beans said:

My username? I don't understand the question.

If you mean my character's name in the game, I don't get that far. The game crashes before any kind of gameplay. It crashes when I try to leave the title screen.

No, the username on your computer. Apparently it can cause crashes if it has special characters. No idea why.

46 minutes ago, MDM1 Beans said:

My username? I don't understand the question.

If you mean my character's name in the game, I don't get that far. The game crashes before any kind of gameplay. It crashes when I try to leave the title screen.

Special characters are !@#$%^&*(). wcv was saying if you have these symbols in your player name, that might cause the game to crash.

13 minutes ago, wcv said:

No, the username on your computer. Apparently it can cause crashes if it has special characters. No idea why.

Interesting. My username on my computer is just kyles. No characters.

1 minute ago, Leenu said:

Special characters are !@#$%^&*(). wcv was saying if you have these symbols in your player name, that might cause the game to crash.

Ya, if you are talking about the player name in the game, I don't have one. My game doesn't load that far, the crash is on the title screen before I can ever begin a savefile.

2 hours ago, MDM1 Beans said:

Interesting. My username on my computer is just kyles. No characters.

Ya, if you are talking about the player name in the game, I don't have one. My game doesn't load that far, the crash is on the title screen before I can ever begin a savefile.

Okay, I'm honestly kinda shooting in the dark here because I have no idea what causes the problem. That was one option I'd seen suggested in the past.

• Supporter

Beans and I worked out what was wrong through private messages, so solved. Just for people who encounter the same problem and want to know what was wrong: For some reason there already existed saves for the game on the new computer they used, which were corrupted in a weird way it seems. So if you dear reader also encounter this problem, getting a backup should fix it or flat out deleting all files in folder if you never played the game on your computer but somehow still have saves. To get to the saves, if you don't know, you can use this:

folder_shortcut_folder.zip

• Like 1