Pokémon Rainbow: Arc 4 released!

Cervys

2 hours ago, Dark Eclipse said:

Is it available for download; it seems really interesting...

If you check the first post, there's a Download section where you can find the download link!

On 10/6/2020 at 11:10 PM, Cervys said:

Hey folks, development is pretty slow at the moment and probably will be for a while, but I do have something I can show off, namely the Rainbow Pokémon you will be facing in Arc 3! (and maybe even catch one day...)
    477_rnbw.png.001710cf56baa950efbd70063c32570e.png                                            461f_rnbw.png.e9a7d5551a009024773384a54b7fc0d5.png                                       286_nbw.png.3ab24c2b0206e6fc7afa41ca0c7d5052.png              

Raibow Dusknoir                                                       Rainbow Weavile                                                 Rainbow Breloom

Ability: Rainbow Siphon                                             Ability: Rainbow Hunter                                         Ability: Rainbow Stimulant

Drains a bit of the opponent's                                 Its attacks hit opponents before                                  In Double Battles, boosts 
    HP at the end of each turn (like                                they can switch out (like Pursuit).                              its partner's physical Attack

Leech Seed).                                                                                                                                               and Defense.

These look rainbowlike and kinda funny. Also like the new abilities and the theme🌈👍🏼

• 3 weeks later...

Hey friends, it's been slightly over a year but Arc 3 is finally finished! Travel through windy routes, icy fields and fight Arc Angel Neel to obtain the Cyan Arc!

You can download the new version here!

(I recommend starting from the beginning if you've played the previous version,since there's been a few important changes in the earlier parts of the game.

A Game-Z application is included, which will probably run a lot smoother for most people. Unfortunately, it was prone to random crashes in testing and some graphics will not be displayed correctly. Only use it if you're okay with that. )

921415772_vanishingtower.png.e39041a8ad7922ebedb047af8cf1d35e.png1101901161_zephyrgarden.png.09b85fc4edd9ed98765f899bd486251c.png1260269172_sparkforest.png.9a330712d878d9804be9bf9e505f0ebb.png

Hello! I've been playing through the new update, loving it so far, but unfortunately I've encountered a pretty major bug:

Spoiler

I'm trying to enter the Reverealm off of Route 14 after being directed there by the girl in Glazure Town, but as soon as I enter and the girl finishes explaining how I'm not supposed to turn around, she just walks one tile forward and then stops, and the game freezes on the screenshot below. I'm assuming that's not supposed to happen? It's too bad, this whole Reverealm concept is really intriguing to me and I was looking forward to learning more about what the deal is with them. Hopefully you're able to fix this soon, and let me know if you need me to provide any more specific information or anything like that!

ReverealmSoftlock.PNG.f79f190463e3fb7963f8cded2889fb90.PNG

Thanks for the bug fix! And now I'm finished with the game, so I guess I'll talk more in depth about my thoughts on it. Overall, I think you took everything great about Arcs 1 and 2 and did them even better here!

Bugs I found:

Spoiler
  • The Scavenger trait doesn't seem to work consistently. Whether or not it works seems to be dependent on the type of item you're getting - it works for potions, berries, Rainbow Shards, and Jumpuffs, among other things, but not for regular colored shards, type gems, Pokeballs, and Ability Capsules, among other things. I guess this might be intentional, if you're trying to limit access to certain items, but if it is then it definitely wasn't communicated clearly by the trait's description.
  • There's a girl in front of the Pokemon Center in Cascyan City who says something about wanting to team up with me again sometime... Even though I've never interacted with her before. I assume I'm supposed to do a quest for her first?
  • The bridges on Route 3, Route 4, and Navy Cavey occasionally wink in and out of existence - normally not enough to cause problems, but at one point I got trapped on a ledge on Route 4 because the bridge disappeared and didn't come back for several minutes.
  • There's a wall in Cobyss City near the entrance that you can pass through and go out of bounds
  • The battle background in the Frozen Fields doesn't load in properly, the background is just pitch black
  • Walking around in the tall grass in the Frozen Fields occasionally results in a game crash. It doesn't happen that often, so I assume it's probably being caused by a specific Pokemon that's supposed to appear on the route (the only ones I've ever seen there are Audino, Cubchoo, and Cyan Gloom). I also screenshotted the error message, if that helps:

FrozenCrash.PNG.77ab7d6d4c19a4346dcf40a2114b4c1a.PNG

• The Flash crystal on northeastern Route 1 doesn't seem to work
  • The cutscene that plays when you first reach the top of Thunder Peak plays again whenever you go back there. Neel and Roy's dialogue still plays even though neither of them are there, and the player still jumps down into Spark Forest.
  • The game consistently crashes when I try to go back into the room to the left of the first room in the Rainbow Ruins (the one where Violet talks about hating herself). Screenshot for the error message for that is below:

RuinsCrash.PNG.fcfcb831b6b17cff0eef37f7e796bd66.PNG

A few minor critiques:

Spoiler
  • The puzzles on Route 14 where you have to walk through the whirlwinds at the exact right moment are quite frustrating. Don't get me wrong, it's a very clever idea for a puzzle, but at least for me, getting the timing right for even one whirlwind is very difficult and takes several tries to get right, so having to go through five in a row on two different occasions was infuriating and took about half an hour each time. Not to mention that there's no real indication that passing through the whirlwinds is even something you can do - when I saw the first such puzzle, I initially assumed that I had to find another way around and spent quite a while searching for one in vain. And while the first puzzle is required to progress, the only reward for the second one is a Metronome, a mediocre held item that you can find another one of elsewhere on the same route. The puzzle concept does have potential, but I would 1) add in a sign or an NPC or something explaining that you can pass through the whirlwinds, 2) make the first puzzle easier by taking out two or three of the whirlwinds, and 3) make the reward for the second puzzle better to justify the time spent on it.
  • While I love the concept of the personality trait system, I think the execution is a bit off. Namely, the fact that a trait is permanently lost if you ever decide to replace it is a bit of a frustrating limitation, especially when it comes to the sidequests that require certain traits. For example, I got the Gambler trait very early on (still not 100% sure what I did to earn it...), but then discarded it in favor of Pacifist when I unlocked that. But then I get to Cobyss City and find out that dropping Gambler permanently locked me out of a sidequest that I didn't even know existed yet. For another example, I got the Champion trait after beating the Emerald Gang and went back to Route 1 to do the quest for that, managed to find and defeat two of the Trainers for that quest, but then replaced Champion with Dreamer once I unlocked that. When I went back to the quest-giver to see if he could tell me who the third Trainer was that I was supposed to fight, I had been locked out of the quest because I no longer had Champion. And that's not even getting into the quests that I had to skip entirely because I liked both of my current traits and didn't want to give either of them up. I do like the idea of NPCs noticing the personality you've displayed through your playstyle and giving you new content based on that, but it's also pretty frustrating to be locked out of content because you unlocked traits in the wrong order. I can think of a number of ways to fix this, such as having some method to regain lost traits, or having the sidequests go off of which traits you've unlocked rather than which ones you have equipped.

The stuff I really liked (which was most of the game):

Spoiler
  • A lot of my critiques of the previous version have been addressed. Good to see you're constantly improving your work.
  • I thought the story and characters for Arcs 1 and 2 were just OK, but you really stepped things up for Arc 3. I loved the fraught dynamic between Roy and Neel, all the uncomfortable stuff that Vera needles the other Angels about, Ultra's relationship with her adoptive mom and the question of what led her to join Team Spectrum, and Dyna's ongoing character arc around their self-confidence and their past experiences with Rainbow Pokemon and their family. (By the way, was having Dyna use Gladion's theme, which has the same melody as "Run Away, Fugitives," foreshadowing for the fact that they ran away from home? If so, that's genius.)
  • All the puzzles this time around were INCREDIBLE!! Turning the first trip through Route 14 into essentially a stealth mission where you have to avoid the tall grass? Amazing! The trippy mirrored movement and battles in Neel's gym? Fantastic! The second Reverealm where you have to walk straight forward and not turn in any other direction despite constant illusions of your companion insisting that you do exactly that? Outstanding! Rainbow's puzzles and alternate gameplay challenges are better and more creative than I've seen in any other Pokemon fangame, even Reborn or Rejuv!
  • I really liked the atmosphere for all of the new areas. Route 14 in particular has a very lonely, melancholic vibe thanks to the Kingdom's Edge music.
  • The segment where you play as Professor Castan was great. You get a taste of having a powerful high-level team, but you also have to use it against opponents who are even higher-level, so you still have to carefully strategize about how best to use each team member. Plus it was cool getting to see Chromae's all-Rainbow team and figuring out how their new Abilities worked.
  • There is a sidequest in which you somehow create a snow sculpture of Groudon out of exactly three snowballs. Beautiful.
  • While I had a few sticking points about the specifics of the execution, I really do like the concept of the personality trait system. Pokemon games have always allowed for player personalization in the form of teambuilding, but the game responding to what you spend time on in-game and granting you benefits to make those things easier adds another layer of feeling like your journey is your own. Plus, now that I have Dreamer trait, I'm discovering some cool new lore in earlier areas. I love little touches like that.

So yeah, the game is fantastic so far! Keep up the good work!

Edited by VoidlitAudino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone, got a ton of great feedback a bit ago, so the game is now updated with a lot less bugs, some updated dialogue and graphics and a few changes to rainbow abilities. It's probably a good idea to download it (again)!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello! Sorry, I wanted to replay this as soon as I saw you updated it, but a variety of things got in the way of that, so I'm only just now getting around to it. I've really been enjoying this playthrough! I have now played through the game with all 3 starters and gotten to see all of their unique abilities; I started with Chikorita this time around, and it's probably my favorite of the three! And of course, multiple playthroughs let me try out a whole bunch of Rainbow Pokemon I missed the first time, including Rainbow Bergmite/Avalugg with its newly-added ability, which I absolutely love. I've been finding a lot of stuff that I missed on previous playthroughs, such as a whole Homestuck sidequest that I missed because I didn't explore Sapphire Woods thoroughly enough??? So that's cool??? And I now know that whenever you get dialogue options, the options you get are influenced by your personality traits, which makes perfect sense and is a great use of that system! This game continues to be absolutely fantastic!

But, uh... I did kind of find a game-breaking bug :/ Never mind! I just discovered the Discord and used the solution there!

Oh yeah, I also checked out your Desolation mod a while ago. It was actually the first time I had played through Deso all the way, and your added content made the whole experience much more interesting! Though I couldn't get into the hotel area thanks to a glitch that I think happened because I fought one of the lost soul trainers more than once. But other than that, it's really good! Your stuff seriously deserves way more recognition than it currently has.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I've been making some good progress for Arc 4, so I thought I'd do a little sneak peek at the things that are happening in the next version.

New Routes!
Route5.PNG.981c27afbda3f547aad0b408bce9fafb.PNGRoute6.PNG.0248ac16fc97bbbeea4dc6e2491958cd.PNG

New Towns!
TownAnomasil.PNG.3733012ad033e952b81a0dd5427e1a68.PNG549200940_TownVerterra.PNG.c036c44e4340593cd25ba63c572b634d.PNG

Minigames!
MinigameDiglett.PNG.0ec7be2e529da62ccf7f1b6a34b748fe.PNGMinigameStorytime.PNG.5fd89fa41348b9faf77513c84b0df2e1.PNG

...Other Things!
OtherVoid.PNG.df0298f42baa9b58402b781bc1175936.PNGOtherConcordance.PNG.9cbe1704f807b996b698fd09f7eb1fc0.PNG

And that's it! See you (hopefully) soon!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Global Mods

Pokemon Rainbow Rap - "Concordance"
It's time for Colorful choruses and Rainbow raps
My Airship has landed, I already hear claps
Got some new drip from Manifold Masquerades
Switching my style on the fly like Masquerains
My team inspires confidence, yours is a spectrum of incompetence 
A single Clown could take out your whole conference
My bars are as fire as Carmen getting heated 
And they'll burn you down before your story Arc is completed
But don't discount the ice on me either, it's real
The flash of teal makes them all Neel, and their heads spin like a color wheel
Vera's family couldn't buy the gems on my wrist 
Nor could you dent them with a Brute swinging a fist
My influence extends to every Cardinal direction 
Like a Vessel taking over cities with infection
But what I want to spread is joy, like I'm the Head Nurse
I want to grow and heal, this is a med verse
Let Dyna be themself to the max 
I'll buy hormones for Violet even if they come with a tax 
And if anybody doesn't like that then I'll come with attacks
Making it this far was not a triviality
I used to be a Dreamer, now that's becoming a reality 
It means a lot, I can't stress enough the importance
Of seeing you all smiling at this Concordance

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Hi I tried this game an ever since v4 I can't  play it most likley beacuse of the pc I use in my home if any of you were offended  I am again I didn't meant this so I am sorry i realy regret this if you were offended and sorry  in case you were offended