[Art: Spriting/Suggestions] Custom Trainer Sprite Edit - Backbone of International Police

Blinci

Greetings!

Relatively new to the community recently, I've gotten into spriting after a few playthroughs of Reborn and Rejuvenation, and would like to dedicate a thread to showcase the progress of the sprites that I am creating for a character. It would be great to receive feedback as well as inspire others even!  

Might differ from some of the typical sprites but can't say much aside from I tried really hard to make something original: "The Backbone of International Police" or simply referred to as Codename: Backbone comparable to Codename: Looker.

Note: Currently finished Trainer Card and Overworld Walk sprite, will next work on V.S & other overworld sprites such as Run, Surf etc

Update #1: Finished trainer v.s mugshot & back sprite, just leaving the Overworld sprites: Run, Bike, Surf, Fishing & Fishing while Surfing

Update #2: Created Volcarona mount to use while Bike/Surf, will make summary sheet next.

Update #3: Summary sheet completed, may make some edits to refine sprites like the mugshot

Update #4: Drastically improved vs sprite and trainer sprite, taking down summary sheet to tweak it

Credit goes to Reborn's developers for the inspiration, specifically the Knight trchar148 sprite.

I give permission to use these as long as you ask and give credit, will upload without watermark if asked. 

Original sprites: 

scroll down to see progress on improvements! 😄

BackboneOverword_Overview.pngBackboneTrainer_Overview.png

Edited by Backbone
Update #4
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, SinnohianGible said:

Much appreciated! Only took an entire day on krita/paint.net 

Should have probably learned to use GraphicsGale or Asesprite, perhaps one day!

I recommend Piskel, though I've never used any of those programs you mentioned 😛 Spriting does take time, but it'll take less time as you get more practice~

GRFT@%HXT! That's so cool! Tell me your secrets magic man! I too wish to make my own pokemon trainer sprites! All I've been able to do is this edit of a prexisting one.

Autumn.png.69eeb2c851e0a94ad7fa006945470595.png

But there's no way I could do the walk/run animation or VS screen stuff! YOU-ARe-AWESOME!

11 hours ago, RosaHeart said:

GRFT@%HXT! That's so cool! Tell me your secrets magic man! I too wish to make my own pokemon trainer sprites! All I've been able to do is this edit of a prexisting one.

Autumn.png.69eeb2c851e0a94ad7fa006945470595.png

But there's no way I could do the walk/run animation or VS screen stuff! YOU-ARe-AWESOME!

Thanks! Your sprite seems most impressive as well! It took way longer than it should've as I had to make the armor/helmet from scratch, but surprisingly was able to do it all with just paint.net and can share the .pdn if you wanted to see the process for yourself. 🙂

Update 2: Retextured a Volcarona sprite and edited my walk sprite so it would be riding the back of it (to resemble something like Lin on Hydreigon) to use as a Bike/Surf sprite but found out that like Ridley from Smash Bros (before Smash Ultimate) it's too big so I had to scale it down to 50% to get it to work. It looks hilarious though!

Also here's some screenshots of the sprites in Reborn/Rejuvenation. Will make summary sheet next.

594114576_C4aJjG7_2x(1).png.23c1f6576c699a7cd3f5a94a54209982.png

Volcarona mount regular size, had to scale it down 50% as it was about 20% too big to fit over the bike sprite and any bigger would distort the image.

shot1.png

Should make a video sometime to show how hilarious it is to speed around on a 50% size sprite!

shot2.png

Backbone takes on the task of dealing with Team Meteor so Looker could take a vacation for the first time in years!

shot3.png

Victoria wants to battle someone wearing 250lbs of metal!

shot4.png

Youngster Joey wants to know your location!

Edited by SinnohianGible
  • Like 3

*Heavy breathing* OMG THAT'S SO COOOOOOOL! Armored Volcorona mount!!! ( Not sure which pokemon Autumn would mount as currently the biggest one on her team is Gengar at 4'11. And I haven't decided on the sixth slot yet. ) GHT@$UZX%^*(! And yes please! I'd love to know your sprite making process! I've looked it up on youtube and everyone I've seen is just editing prexisting sprites!

For the creation process, there's this one that I found created by Light-Fox that seemed to be the easiest for me to understand and basically covers all of the fundamentals:

In my case, had about 4 reference sprites for poses and after that had to do almost all of the "editing" part by hand using a concept photo which happens to be my profile picture as a reference, mostly because my "character" is basically all armored and no sprites existed that are remotely similar! Yay!

Will also send a few of the .pdn files that can be opened w/ paint.net, though I will warn you the layers are very unorganized so the guide will be more helpful 🙂

sprite3.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update 3: The summary sheet 😄

The camo on the mugshot I think could use some work, but considering it was an attempt of a original character from scratch with little knowledge on pixel art I'm pretty happy with this.

I hope this inspires more creative work in this community. Please feel free to use this as a reference, though crediting me would be appreciated 🙂

The on/off is for the lighting on the visor meant for stealth/vision

If you are confused on what this is, you could consider it to be a sifi knight/samurai hybrid suit because plot armour is overrated, also so you could wrestle a Machamp or tank a Rock Slide if need be

backbonesummary.png.847ad0c8e79e753d2618c2e6581244ce.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update 4: Drastically improved vs sprite and trainer sprite!
BackboneNew1.png.2822684fb9b7a4beac987cc240979914.png

Credit to @scrub on Rebornevo discord for the suggestions and edit to the visor on the sprite below:

Before                IqeYN5D_2x.png.05a32a7c3042bb217bbebaf35adbbc09.png

AfterAKBWoIE_2x.png.d0816683cbdca74eb62183926ddababb.png

Also if you haven't noticed I've created a avatar and channel art based on this, as I'll be uploading reborn/rejuvenation/other fangame content within a few weeks!

• Like 1

That's really a lot of hard work  x__x

The sprites are hella awesome and it's pretty badass be riding a fricking volcarona! Maybe you could add like, a little shine in the helmet? Idk but overall it's pretty great!

As a lazy person i just did some of the sprites hahaha boy goes to normal when riding, diving or fishing

vsTrainer0.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Smiley_Cloud said:

That's really a lot of hard work  x__x

The sprites are hella awesome and it's pretty badass be riding a fricking volcarona! Maybe you could add like, a little shine in the helmet? Idk but overall it's pretty great!

As a lazy person i just did some of the sprites hahaha boy goes to normal when riding, diving or fishing

vsTrainer0.png

Great advice! Never really have been good at colour theory myself.

The sprite of yours looks extremely official! Nothing in particular I could think about to improve it imo.

A lot of hard work would be an understatement lol, it's been over a month now since I started spriting for this character alone, have definitely learned a lot since!