[OFFICIAL] Desolation Devs Q&A (EP5 Thread)

• Developers

There's no real theme. It's a pretty sporadic process where I come up with a series of names for an area and then pick the one that a) fits the area best and b) fits well in conjunction with other town names. There's no real in-depth process.

• Like 1

What was the process behind choosing which pokemon would be available as starters on the beach? Additionally, were there any pokemon that juuuust nearly became starters, but ended up being cut/decided against?

Also, not a question but I just finished this game the other day and holy hell, y'all knocked it out of the park with this. Someone recommended this to me when I was looking for similar games after finishing Rejuvenation, and this game 100% filled the Rejuv-shaped void. The gameplay is challenging yet still fair and overall pretty fun. The story is super intriguing and broke through my bad habit of zoning out and skimming plots, I was completely hooked. The level design is solid (I honestly didn't even mind Blackview that much). The art is incredible and compliments the game perfectly. Huge props to everyone involved in making this.

I'll finish this off with an actual question: Is Connor a tsundere?

• Global Mods
On 12/17/2020 at 3:12 AM, sayar said:

What're ur opinions on Jarredsolation?

Why was this created, who decided this had to exist tbh the Dev team and I had a massive laugh with it, seeing everyone as Jarred and even the Aces was funny af, so props for that LOL

3 hours ago, Kool Aid said:

What was the process behind choosing which pokemon would be available as starters on the beach? Additionally, were there any pokemon that juuuust nearly became starters, but ended up being cut/decided against?

So! To start off, I've mentioned this before but in EP5, I decided to axe 5/8 of the original starters from the beach in EP4, those being Sandile, Flabebe, Growlithe, Espurr and Sewaddle. The main reason behind these axes were well, Sewaddle early on as a "starter" is really bad, considering the first two gyms are Fire and Flying, it's just haha Hard Mode. Flabebe and Growlithe were axed due to them being stone evolutions, and I wanted to make it so the player wasn't locked out of having a "stronger" starter throughout the early game, Espurr I wasn't really vibing with and well.. Sandile.. Moxie. As of EP5, these were replaced with Doduo, Skiddo, Litleo, Venipede and Rockruff. The inspiration behind these choices were they evolved "early enough" that they could be pretty strong for the early game, and can still hold their own later on! Surprisely enough Skiddo does a hefty amount of work considering its a Grass Type, I also wanted to add a Gen 7 starter in the mix and Rockruff suited the role quite well, though I had to balance the game a bit to make it so Lycanroc doesn't just sweep (this will again be adjusted in EP6). These Pokemon in general aren't amazingly strong however do well at holding their own and that is why I chose them! (they may change for later EPs, but we'll see). 

Also, not a question but I just finished this game the other day and holy hell, y'all knocked it out of the park with this. Someone recommended this to me when I was looking for similar games after finishing Rejuvenation, and this game 100% filled the Rejuv-shaped void. The gameplay is challenging yet still fair and overall pretty fun. The story is super intriguing and broke through my bad habit of zoning out and skimming plots, I was completely hooked. The level design is solid (I honestly didn't even mind Blackview that much). The art is incredible and compliments the game perfectly. Huge props to everyone involved in making this.

Honestly, from all of us thank you for the support and playing the game! We're glad that you've enjoyed it so far and messages like these really do help with our motivation to keep working on the game, it tells us that we are going in the right direction aha <3

I'll finish this off with an actual question: Is Connor a tsundere?

yes b-baka

• Developers
On 12/13/2020 at 4:26 PM, Progfan_r said:

What are the inspirations for the main NPCs? For instance, I am quite sure Shiv is based on Izaya from Durarara and that Connor is based on Fern from Reborn.

I didn't really base Shiv off anyone - which is pretty obvious from his earlier models oops. His re-design later on did yoink that jacket thoooo

While Connor's original design from an art perspective was essentially budget Fern, his actual character isn't based off Fern. The character, being one of the first I made, is based off what I wanted the mainstream Pokemon games to have as a rival - someone who comes off as rude, competitive, and oftentimes downright mean, but also actually has a heart.

• Like 3

So I don't know if anyone asked this, but do you plan on adding a way to change the forms of pokemon like furfrou and oricorio into the game? or do they already exist and I have acquired the big dumbness?  

14 minutes ago, Hatman said:

So I don't know if anyone asked this, but do you plan on adding a way to change the forms of pokemon like furfrou and oricorio into the game? or do they already exist and I have acquired the big dumbness?  

oricario already exist. the nectar is sold in central ciela market

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 8:06 AM, Posty said:

The main reason behind these axes were well, Sewaddle early on as a "starter" is really bad, considering the first two gyms are Fire and Flying, it's just haha Hard Mode. 

Damn, I currently started a bug monotype run, without knowing first 2 gyms were fire flying.

Could not beat the first 2 gyms without a EV training.

4 minutes ago, Ravi Kabir said:

Why would you torture yourself like that 

This is my first playthrough of Desolation. I saw all the bug types early and I picked venipede starter, so I decided bug monotype

Little did i know, the first 2 gyms were going to destroy me. Whatever, I just beat the 2nd gym. I'm guessing hardest part is over.

Just now, SadMoney said:

This is my first playthrough of Desolation. I saw all the bug types early and I picked centipede starter, so I decided bug monotype

Little did i know, the first 2 gyms were going to destroy me. Whatever, I just heat the 2nd gym. I'm guessing hardest part is over.

Yeah it kinda is, Aderyn is OP lmao, It gets easier from the 3rd gym, though I don't know how well you'll fare against the 4th and 6th tho. Good luck homie

• Thanks 1

• Global Mods
On 1/6/2021 at 4:54 AM, Ravi Kabir said:

So, I'm pretty sure that at some point of the story, we'll get a perfection pokemon. My question is, which pokemon can reach perfection? Is it going to be starter exclusive , or any pokemon that we have max friendship with? 

Who knows! This is very much so spoiler territory so you'll have to wait and see

Also just a word of warning, please don't use this thread as a discussion place, this as you know is directed towards the devs for questions about development and other stuff. If you wanna have further discussions, please make a thread and talk in the Discussions section in the club! Thanks.

Hello and happy -belated- new year.

Are the last poll's results going to be announced any time soon? I'm curious to see which character ended the most popular. Don't mind me too much, just curious, that's all! K, bye.

Have a nice evening!

On 1/9/2021 at 3:21 AM, Posty said:

Who knows! This is very much so spoiler territory so you'll have to wait and see

Also just a word of warning, please don't use this thread as a discussion place, this as you know is directed towards the devs for questions about development and other stuff. If you wanna have further discussions, please make a thread and talk in the Discussions section in the club! Thanks.

Oh darn, can't wait lol.

My bad, I'll make sure not to any longer. Thank you for the warning

• 6 months later...
  • Global Mods
11 hours ago, Sketchy178 said:

Hi I don't know if this is the place to post this, but I want to play this game, but I can't find the link to download it. Could someone post a link or tell me where to go to find it? Any help is much apreciated.

image.png.4101b12d205385f10daea0f70e1efef0.png

it's literally right below this thread in "The Manor" 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...