Aeodyn

Nature Power in Doubles

Posted (edited)

I haven't tested it much, but in a doubles fight my Nature Power has repeatedly targeted the wrong opponent, and always the one on the left.

It also seems to be only when performed by my second pokemon, the one on the right.

Edit: Just realized I didn't put this in the Battle Errors section; sorry! 😭

Edited by Aeodyn

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's actually working as intended.

Nature Power is a status move that targets the user. For this reason it will always hit the opponent opposite of the pokemon using it in doubles(unless the attack hits multiple pokemon or that pokemon is fainted).

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's actually working as intended.

Nature Power is a status move that targets the user. For this reason it will always hit the opponent opposite of the pokemon using it in doubles(unless the attack hits multiple pokemon or that pokemon is fainted).

Looks like that was changed with gen VI, actually.

In the same battles, a pokemon in the first slot was able to target and hit either opponent without issue. And to clarify, my second pokemon was hitting the opponents' first pokemon, not the directly opposite one.

1 hour ago, Aeodyn said:

Looks like that was changed with gen VI, actually.

In the same battles, a pokemon in the first slot was able to target and hit either opponent without issue. And to clarify, my second pokemon was hitting the opponents' first pokemon, not the directly opposite one.

I don't have any ideas then. The wiki for Nature Power is actually crazy long and the small mention of the change- 

Spoiler

Nature Power now targets an adjacent Pokémon rather than the user (even if the move it would turn into affects multiple Pokémon). This allows single-target moves called by Nature Power to target an ally, which was not previously possible.

- had to be in a really awkward place that's easy to skip over.

It's definitely bugged.

Soooo. I actually fixed this? Not entirely sure who to ping, but... @andracass I guess?

Line 5553 in PokeBattle_MoveEffects (in class PokeBattle_Move_0B3):

Spoiler

Before:

attacker.pbUseMoveSimple(move)

After:

attacker.pbUseMoveSimple(move, target=opponent.index)

Seems to work fine with multi-enemy moves as well; tested it with Triattack and Sludge Wave at least.

7 hours ago, Aeodyn said:

Soooo. I actually fixed this? Not entirely sure who to ping, but... @andracass I guess?

Line 5553 in PokeBattle_MoveEffects (in class PokeBattle_Move_0B3):

Hide contents

Before:

attacker.pbUseMoveSimple(move)

After:

attacker.pbUseMoveSimple(move, target=opponent.index)

Seems to work fine with multi-enemy moves as well; tested it with Triattack and Sludge Wave at least.

interesting. we'll have to take a peek at that

Interesting, I just had the same experience in Rejuvenation. 
I was in a double wild battle in the Forgotten Path and when I used my Nuzleaf's Nature Power, it hit the Pokemon directly opposite Nuzleaf, the one of the left instead of the one on right which I'd targeted. 

I did feel that was strange though I've hardly ever used Nature Power. In fact, I couldn't tolerate that Nuzleaf much after that because it's IVs are trash.