Is Pokémon Spork good?

PokefanPT

Hi there!

So, recently I finished the last available chapter of Pokémon Rejuvenation, and I really liked that game. The story is great, and I found it really challenging (sometimes too hard xD).

After that, I've been looking for some new Pokémon fanmade game to play. I was looking for one with a "brighter" story, but still good nonetheless, and that it was a bit challenging. Pokémon Spork was really talked about here, in these forums, so I decided to try it.

I've already completed the 2nd gym, and I must say, I was really disappointed with this game. Everyone talked wonders about this game, but I really didn't find anything particularly good. The game is so basic in story (at this point). Everything I've done was defeat 1st gym leader, go to the next town, defeat the gym leader in that town, go defeat a random team in the coin corner, and that's about it. Most of the time I've spent in the game was exploring the large cities, that little to no content at all.

The game is also way to easy, I've been 1 shot KOing every Pokémon until now. It is true that my starter Pokémon was Nihilego (an Ultra Beast), but I never thought the game would be so easy. I chose Nihilego, because I thought the idea of choosing any Pokémon as a starter was interesting, and I would probably have a Nihilego in any other game (not until late-game), but I never thought I would sweep 2 entire gyms only with it. Even if I didn't choose Nihilego, you can have a Pheremosa in the beggining of the game, and that also makes the game way easier.

I also found the sprites to be so pixilated, and the game of colors is just not my taste, we have in the same screen, a sprite that is absorving all the light, and the sprite right next to it is the sun itself. There are also a lot of tiles that are not "walls", and I'm kind of tired in running into walls.

Although the music is nice, it can also be overwhelming, and sometimes way too loud and annoying. Also, the "route" between the first 2 towns is so big, but it's totally empty!

And did I already mention that, although I already defeated the 2nd gym leader, everything I know from the story is from the sinopsis? Like, there's no story in this game.

I also find this game so "confusing" sometimes, because you do a certain event, and then it seems like the game ended there, just to find out you're supposed to go somewhere for some reason. The game also gives you so much stuff at the beggining, that makes it totally not rewarding to have those items to be honest.

The only aspect that I found more interesting in this game was really the choice of the starters.

I'm sorry if I'm being too harsh, but I'm really disappointed with this game, and now I don't know what to do. Should I just move on to another game, or is this game going to be better after the 2nd gym leader, and the story will start to develop? Should I give this game another chance?

Also, feel free to state your own opinion about what I talked about, or about the game. You can also suggest me another fanmade games that you think I might like (I would really appreciate a nice Pokémon fanmade game with a lighter story! It's just because Rejuvenation was really dense and complex, so I'm trying to play a game with a story in another style).

Thank you for reading!

Edited by PokefanPT

So first off, don't be afraid to state your opinion. It's not being mean as ultimately it's just your opinion. Just don't take lessons from me. That never ends well it seems. I'll be up front and say there are games I've played and didn't like that other people love. There I games I love that a lot of people hate. It's honestly a good thing as it means you have taste and know what you want out of a game. I haven't played Spork but perhaps I can give you some insight and maybe it'll make it easier for you to decide:

I'll just start off by saying this game was made in a significantly smaller time than either Rejuv or Reborn with a significantly smaller team. The game's aesthetics always gave me the impression it's more about silly fun more or less. The tile errors isn't a big surprise as there isn't actually an erase button in RMXP so it's so easy to screw up and you don't even know it. I had to redo maps even modding due to this misunderstanding and oh my god it's a pain. Reborn actually had quite a number of those in the early days and when one would be fixed, another 7 would pop up. The whole wondering around thing is more old school where you get barely any context and have to figure it out themselves. Easy to see why it can be hated. I could go into a tangent of linear vs open world here, but alas, now's not the time. The graphics is something understandable as well because people can be bothered by them. Reminds me of the great debate if Xenoblade has good or bad graphics.

When it comes down to it though, fan created content is just so much hit or miss. I have a number of old hacks lying around on my computer (like 30) and some of them sucked and other were a blast. One of my favorites was Raptor Ex which honestly really aged badly but it really stuck out as after playing a Raijon Adventures (old dead fan-game) I always thought it'd be so cool if people could do more with this kind of stuff. Really might blow you away just how much better the fan-games are nowadays due to all the things fans have been making. 10 years ago I'd call you mad saying one day people would make games with 18 gym leaders in them or a long ass game easily taking over 40 hours to complete. Actually, I'd still call anyone who tries that crazy. You've probably played certain things that make stuff in your mind set boundaries to what is and isn't playable for you.

End of the day you shouldn't feel bad for not liking a game. I'd say stop and put it on the shelf for a month or maybe even a few years (there have been games I put on hiatus and finished 5 years later. Longest was 13 years). If you yearn for it, then you'll pick it up and finish it and if you don't, you'll end up forgetting about it. There's an ocean of games to try and give a chance so not liking even a bunch isn't unheard of. Sometimes you do find games you absolutely love like me with the FFVII Remake. That's always why it's hard for me to give blind suggestions to people.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Global Mods

@PokefanPT I've moved your thread from Fan Game Expose to the Spork club

I'm okay that people find the game easy because accessibility (like being able to choose any Pokemon as a starter) is something I was going for. I wanted to give players as many options as I could make available. Additionally, fighting/combat isn't what draws me to games personally, and I can't really follow along when I see people going in-depth about mechanical stuff like damage calculations, EV spreads, etc. I don't do well understanding technical things in general, and I'd be just as lost listening to someone explaining how to change a tire on a car or how to build a computer as I would reading about optimal strategies and movesets for characters in a game. Combat is one of the least interesting aspects in games to me (in part because of how technical they can get sometimes), I think I have the most fun exploring and learning about the world, or just doing relaxing activities (like in Animal Crossing). I've done testing for versions of Reborn and I'm on the Rejuv team where my role is to test versions, and most of what I point out is typos and tile errors, other unusual overworld happenings, and once in a while something that might be confusing in the dialogue. I pretty much never give feedback on battles or balancing, because I don't feel that I could give good advice on it. If I struggle with a battle, it might not be that the battle itself is a bit much, it could just be my lack of knowledge about balancing and strategy. I also set my teams' natures, EVs, and IVs in debug mode immediately when I play fangames.

re: the synopsis, it wasn't my intention for "the story is more lighthearted than most other fangames and the official games" to be read as there not being a story. What I meant by that is that the story isn't dark or sad. The story is actually one of the main reasons I made Spork, although it's true that there are less story events early on, since the player is still being introduced to the region and such and I didn't want to overload with too much information or too many characters that early in. It's after the second gym that the story starts to pick up more. 

I've wondered before if that part of the synopsis gave the impression you had, and I would be open to ways of wording it better so that when I say "the story is lighthearted", it doesn't come across as "the story is nonexistent". 

Could you clarify or give some examples of these:

"I also find this game so "confusing" sometimes, because you do a certain event, and then it seems like the game ended there, just to find out you're supposed to go somewhere for some reason."

"a sprite that is absorving all the light, and the sprite right next to it is the sun itself. There are also a lot of tiles that are not "walls", and I'm kind of tired in running into walls."

Specifically:

for the first one, at which events did you feel like the game seemed to end? I usually try to be as straightforward as possible with directions on where to go next. Although I feel like for the story between the 5th-6th gym the instructions weren't specific enough in the past and players might have just wandered around the city until they found what they needed to do, so I made the dialogue there more specific a few reuploads ago. Early on I don't remember feeling that way about any events? In the beginning the player is told or hinted on where to go next most of the time. 

for the second part I quoted, could you specify where the sprite next to the sun was? The earliest map that uses a sunny overworld would be past the point you've played to. And when you say tiles that aren't walls, I had a hard time understanding the sentence. Do you mean there were tile passability errors where you were able to walk through a wall you weren't supposed to or that you weren't able to walk through a tile that you should have been able to? 

also, can I ask what version of the game you're playing? Did you download from here in the Spork club, or another site? The reason I ask is because of this:

image.thumb.png.e8e1bc6b4a6e32d397ad545916f5e7c5.png

and the issue you mentioned about Virima Trail being empty. Enigma Shot U, a member of this site, has been working on map revamps for Spork which I've been adding to the game across reuploads. If you have the most recent upload, then Virima Trail should have a cycling map and a Furret walk map. The older map and a lot of the maps I made in general had the issue of too much empty space, so I wanted to be sure of how recent your reupload is. 

If you do decide to play again, I would recommend waiting until the next reupload though, since one is coming soon.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Commander said:

So first off, don't be afraid to state your opinion. It's not being mean as ultimately it's just your opinion. Just don't take lessons from me. That never ends well it seems. I'll be up front and say there are games I've played and didn't like that other people love. There I games I love that a lot of people hate. It's honestly a good thing as it means you have taste and know what you want out of a game. I haven't played Spork but perhaps I can give you some insight and maybe it'll make it easier for you to decide:

I'll just start off by saying this game was made in a significantly smaller time than either Rejuv or Reborn with a significantly smaller team. The game's aesthetics always gave me the impression it's more about silly fun more or less. The tile errors isn't a big surprise as there isn't actually an erase button in RMXP so it's so easy to screw up and you don't even know it. I had to redo maps even modding due to this misunderstanding and oh my god it's a pain. Reborn actually had quite a number of those in the early days and when one would be fixed, another 7 would pop up. The whole wondering around thing is more old school where you get barely any context and have to figure it out themselves. Easy to see why it can be hated. I could go into a tangent of linear vs open world here, but alas, now's not the time. The graphics is something understandable as well because people can be bothered by them. Reminds me of the great debate if Xenoblade has good or bad graphics.

When it comes down to it though, fan created content is just so much hit or miss. I have a number of old hacks lying around on my computer (like 30) and some of them sucked and other were a blast. One of my favorites was Raptor Ex which honestly really aged badly but it really stuck out as after playing a Raijon Adventures (old dead fan-game) I always thought it'd be so cool if people could do more with this kind of stuff. Really might blow you away just how much better the fan-games are nowadays due to all the things fans have been making. 10 years ago I'd call you mad saying one day people would make games with 18 gym leaders in them or a long ass game easily taking over 40 hours to complete. Actually, I'd still call anyone who tries that crazy. You've probably played certain things that make stuff in your mind set boundaries to what is and isn't playable for you.

End of the day you shouldn't feel bad for not liking a game. I'd say stop and put it on the shelf for a month or maybe even a few years (there have been games I put on hiatus and finished 5 years later. Longest was 13 years). If you yearn for it, then you'll pick it up and finish it and if you don't, you'll end up forgetting about it. There's an ocean of games to try and give a chance so not liking even a bunch isn't unheard of. Sometimes you do find games you absolutely love like me with the FFVII Remake. That's always why it's hard for me to give blind suggestions to people.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad that I didn't come out as rude or as a hater, because I just really wanted to state my opinion. Sometimes I'm afraid of doing that, because it may hurt the developers feelings, or even the fans. But your words gave me confidence in stating what I think about a certain aspect, so thank you!

Knowing that the game was made by a much smaller team, I kind of regret complaining about the tile errors (specially after you've explained the process of "making tiles" in RMXP), because that's a small thing, that would probably be updated in a future version! I was just so disappointed that I stated everything that I found "not so good" in the game.

I'm still suprised how Pokémon Rejuvenation gave me more than 100 hours of playtime. I find that so mesmerizing! The amount of work, time and love put to that game must be a lot! I only started playing Pokémon Fanmade games in 2017 (with Pokémon Uranium), and since I liked that game so much, I decided to play more (although after that game I had to take a break from Pokémon as a whole, because I was kind of "tired" of it, but I returned playing games soon after!). I find it praiseworthy the effort the creators of this fanmade game put in their own game, because they gain absolutely nothing with it, and sometimes they even get in trouble for that (for real Nintendo, you could even contact them for your team, because it seems they are doing something better than the originals)! Once again, thank you for your nice words!

I think I will follow your advice, and let the game alone for a time, and see if something grows in me to pick it up again. I still have a lot of games to try, since I really didn't play that many fanmade games nor ROM hacks. I know I've already said it many times, but for real, thank you for your words, they made me feel much better, and you made me understand that everyone has its own taste, and that that is normal!

12 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

@PokefanPT I've moved your thread from Fan Game Expose to the Spork club

I'm okay that people find the game easy because accessibility (like being able to choose any Pokemon as a starter) is something I was going for. I wanted to give players as many options as I could make available. Additionally, fighting/combat isn't what draws me to games personally, and I can't really follow along when I see people going in-depth about mechanical stuff like damage calculations, EV spreads, etc. I don't do well understanding technical things in general, and I'd be just as lost listening to someone explaining how to change a tire on a car or how to build a computer as I would reading about optimal strategies and movesets for characters in a game. Combat is one of the least interesting aspects in games to me (in part because of how technical they can get sometimes), I think I have the most fun exploring and learning about the world, or just doing relaxing activities (like in Animal Crossing). I've done testing for versions of Reborn and I'm on the Rejuv team where my role is to test versions, and most of what I point out is typos and tile errors, other unusual overworld happenings, and once in a while something that might be confusing in the dialogue. I pretty much never give feedback on battles or balancing, because I don't feel that I could give good advice on it. If I struggle with a battle, it might not be that the battle itself is a bit much, it could just be my lack of knowledge about balancing and strategy. I also set my teams' natures, EVs, and IVs in debug mode immediately when I play fangames.

re: the synopsis, it wasn't my intention for "the story is more lighthearted than most other fangames and the official games" to be read as there not being a story. What I meant by that is that the story isn't dark or sad. The story is actually one of the main reasons I made Spork, although it's true that there are less story events early on, since the player is still being introduced to the region and such and I didn't want to overload with too much information or too many characters that early in. It's after the second gym that the story starts to pick up more. 

I've wondered before if that part of the synopsis gave the impression you had, and I would be open to ways of wording it better so that when I say "the story is lighthearted", it doesn't come across as "the story is nonexistent". 

Could you clarify or give some examples of these:

"I also find this game so "confusing" sometimes, because you do a certain event, and then it seems like the game ended there, just to find out you're supposed to go somewhere for some reason."

"a sprite that is absorving all the light, and the sprite right next to it is the sun itself. There are also a lot of tiles that are not "walls", and I'm kind of tired in running into walls."

Specifically:

for the first one, at which events did you feel like the game seemed to end? I usually try to be as straightforward as possible with directions on where to go next. Although I feel like for the story between the 5th-6th gym the instructions weren't specific enough in the past and players might have just wandered around the city until they found what they needed to do, so I made the dialogue there more specific a few reuploads ago. Early on I don't remember feeling that way about any events? In the beginning the player is told or hinted on where to go next most of the time. 

for the second part I quoted, could you specify where the sprite next to the sun was? The earliest map that uses a sunny overworld would be past the point you've played to. And when you say tiles that aren't walls, I had a hard time understanding the sentence. Do you mean there were tile passability errors where you were able to walk through a wall you weren't supposed to or that you weren't able to walk through a tile that you should have been able to? 

also, can I ask what version of the game you're playing? Did you download from here in the Spork club, or another site? The reason I ask is because of this:

image.thumb.png.e8e1bc6b4a6e32d397ad545916f5e7c5.png

and the issue you mentioned about Virima Trail being empty. Enigma Shot U, a member of this site, has been working on map revamps for Spork which I've been adding to the game across reuploads. If you have the most recent upload, then Virima Trail should have a cycling map and a Furret walk map. The older map and a lot of the maps I made in general had the issue of too much empty space, so I wanted to be sure of how recent your reupload is. 

If you do decide to play again, I would recommend waiting until the next reupload though, since one is coming soon.

First of all, thank you for taking part of your time to read my post and to reply!

I'm sorry if I put the thread in the wrong forum. I searched for this forum, but I'm still not used to use this forum, since I only used it for Rejuvenation, and so I was kind of confused on when I should put this! Thank you for correcting me!

I would like to start off by saying that I hope I didn't hurt your feelings, because you must have put a lot of work, time and love in this game, and reading something like this can be hurtful. Sorry if I did hurt you, because that wasn't my intention! As I mentioned before, I was really just trying to express my opinion, in the most polite way possible.

I'm totally fine if what you were going for was a more "easy" game, because I understand your point! I'm also not an expert in battling, and that's why I had so many hardships in Rejuvenation, but I also found it good to be pushed off of my limits! But when searching for a new fanmade game, I was actually looking for a easier game, and your game is really a great option in that matter (although I heard his game was as hard as Rejuvenation, so I was kind of caught off guard after beating the first gym leader). I just found it really easy (as I said, I could defeat every enemy with just an attack), and that kind of made me loose a bit of interest on the game. But I think one reason for that could be because Nihilego was really good for the first 2 gyms, and I just got lucky.

I also think that this is your game, and you should do it the way you like it more! I wouldn't really mind the games being easy actually, if it wasn't for the fact that the game didn't start to develop its story (more of that in a bit).

I think I didn't make my point clear, and I'm sorry for that misunderstanding. I was trying to say that the synopsis of the game, and the comments surrounding it, made me interested in the game, and I really was interested in the story. In no way I thought the game wouldn't have a plot, just because the story is more "lighthearted", in fact, this game was exactly what I was looking for, because it had, from what I've been told about, a great story, and it wasn't as dark as Rejuvenation's, and I really wanted to play a game like that. So, after reading the synopsis, in no way I thought the game didn't have a story just because it was more "lighthearted".

But when I started the game, my opinion on the story changed, because until the first 2 gyms, it really doesn't involve any kind of story, and, for me, one of the most important things in a game like this is the story. I can see what you were going for, because with Rejuvenation (sorry for bringing this game so much, but since it's a game you are familiar with, and that I have recently played, I'm using as an example), sometimes the games gives you so much info that you feel overwhelmed with all of the story. But I think (and this is just my opinion, others may disagree, and in no way I think you should change your game just because I, a random person, thought it was not good) what happens in your game is the opposite. I didn't feel any kind of connection for the story, nor for the characters, due to how little information is given. As I said, it seems like I'm just beating gyms for the sake of it, and nothing else. 

This is why I have a problem with how "easy" the game is, because I really wouldn't mind the game being easy, if the story was really good, but I don't have the challenge, nor the story, so I feel very disconnected with the game, and it makes me loose interest in the game. I hope you understand my opinion!

I will explain to you what I wanted to say with those sentences, and I'm sorry, once again, if I didn't make me clear.

For the first one, it has to do with the story, I felt really "abandoned" by the game. After the introduction, I explored the hotel, and I was expecting to see our sister somewhere, but didn't know how. I read every dialogue, but maybe I missed the one where she said where she would go, because I was really lost. Then you have to go to the library, just to find 2 people you don't know from anywhere, and your sister is nowhere to be seen. After defeating the trainers, I know I had to go to the gym, but the game just continued as normal, and I found it so odd. Then they say to go to the next town, but if I didn't explore the town beforehand, I think I would be a bit lost actually. Then you arrive at the new town, and then you just have to assume you have to go the gym (which I actually didn't do, I went straightforward to the café, I didn't know the gym leader would be there). This all makes the game feel empty, and it seems like what I'm doing is not part of the main story, but part of a side-quest. I don't really feel like the story is "on pair" with me. I don't know if I'm making my point understandable, but I tried my hardest! Basically, what I tried to say by that sentence is that the game makes you feel like you are doing some kind of sidequest, and that you're not doing anything to progress in the main story.

About the second point, I'm sorry for confusing you! When I said:

14 hours ago, PokefanPT said:

a sprite that is absorving all the light, and the sprite right next to it is the sun itself

I was being a bit "ironic", I didn't meant the literal sun, but yes a sprite really colorful! When I was playing the game, I found it a bit unsatisfying that in the hotel, the background was so bright in colors, but then some trainers have a sprite so dark, that it kind of "hurts" my eyes. I remember defeating a Hiker in the hotel, and the hotel is full of colors, which for itself I found it a bit harsh for me, but the Hiker had a dark outfit, with dark skin, in the middle of that background. That really just didn't seem right, you know? Maybe it was because I was playing at night? I don't know. But when I play the game at night, I also have some difficulties seeing the game, because everything is so dark! More recently, I found the casino so bright, that I couldn't look to much to the game. I'm sorry if I'm being too harsh, because this game was made by a small team, and you poured a lot of time and love on it, and I think that is very praiseworthy! I'm just trying to tell you how I felt during the game. Maybe I was too sensative that day, who knows? But I do think that the color scheme sometimes is just not right ( I don't want to hurt you! It's normal for anyone's game to have bad aspects, and I think it's something the game can correct, and that it happens to a lot of them, even for some games from big companies, so I hope I didn't hurt your feelings).

About the tile errors, don't worry too much about it, because, as I mentioned before, I was just really disappointed with the game when I wrote that, and just started listing every thing that I thought it was not good, and in your game I run a lot of times into tiles that led me to be on walls, and that made me feel a bit annoyed, because it was so frequent, and I just started the game. I'll send some examples, but I don't think that in any way this is a problem that would affect my overall experience, and I know that making a map is really hard and tiring, so I don't want to seem as rude or something. I don't want to make you feel like you made a bad work, because I don't really feel like that! I think this game can be a really great game in the future, and these are just some problems I have with it, and some of them will probably be fixed over time (like the tiles one). I hope you understood what I was trying to say, but if not, don't hesitate in telling me to explain it better!

I think it's also worth mentioning again that these are my opinions, and in no way I think you should change your game just because I'm not happy with some aspects, because that's my own opinion/problem.

Since I have to open the game, and go to the areas I found some tile errors, I will send the pictures in another reply!

I downloaded the game from a post of yours in this forum actually, and I remember reading that there were another websites where you could download the game, but it was outdated. I don't think that's my case, because, as I said, I downloaded directly from your post. In my files it only says "Pokémon Spork 8", so I don't know if it's the most recent update or not.

Thank you so much for replying, and I really find it admirable to have such passion to make a game, and I would like to congratulate you and your team for this. Never give up on your hopes and dreams! I think that that is really important. As I said before, I hope you're not hurt by my words, and I'm sorry if I was rude! I don't know how to express how much gratitude I feel for every person that spends it's important time in it's own game! Thank you!

• Global Mods
1 hour ago, PokefanPT said:

Here are the pictures (these ones were what I remembered, there may be more):

The first one here is intentional. Bunnelby Burrows is set as a mystery dungeon map, meaning that the player's position and the layout of the map itself is randomized each time the player enters. In the past, there were issues with players getting stuck in the walls there and they would need to send me their save file to get unstuck. The wall tile was made passable so that people wouldn't get stuck when they entered. 

The second one is unintended though, thank you for bringing it up. 

For other post: I misread the comment about the sun. When I first read it I thought you were saying that a sprite was hard to see because the sun was next to it and both were bright, like for example if you're trying to read something outside on your phone but the sun is shining and it's making it hard to see anything on the phone's screen. For contrasting sprite colors and maps, that's something I never noticed or saw mentioned before and I'm unsure if you're meaning from a graphical perspective that it feels out of place or that it's uncomfortable for your eyesight (since you mentioned you could have been sensitive that day, that the bright colors were a bit harsh, and finding it hard to see at night)? 

@ finding where to go after the hotel, Emily says for the player to meet her at the Tourist Info Center after the scene in the hotel room. 

I can definitely understand how the beginning of the game feels like that. The player and Emily are just going on a summer vacation and there's not much more than that going on in the beginning. It's around the time where you played up to (with Team Portal in the Game Corner) that there start to be more story events and more characters introduced. 

Early on when everything was still being planned out, there were a few early story scenes that didn't end up making it into the game or were shortened since I was cautious of setting up too much too soon and felt better about the beginning being more of an introduction, although if people think it feels like there's next to no story at all in the beginning, that isn't ideal either. 

@ feedback, apologize if hurt/too harsh: Everyone has different reasons for playing games, different kinds of games that they like, etc. so it's okay to not enjoy a game, to think that some parts could use improvement, etc. 

I take feedback and suggestions included in posts seriously. It's important to remember to be constructive and respectful when giving feedback since there are people behind the products and screens, so I also appreciate that you mentioned not trying to be harsh and about not giving up on hopes and dreams!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

The first one here is intentional. Bunnelby Burrows is set as a mystery dungeon map, meaning that the player's position and the layout of the map itself is randomized each time the player enters. In the past, there were issues with players getting stuck in the walls there and they would need to send me their save file to get unstuck. The wall tile was made passable so that people wouldn't get stuck when they entered. 

The second one is unintended though, thank you for bringing it up. 

For other post: I misread the comment about the sun. When I first read it I thought you were saying that a sprite was hard to see because the sun was next to it and both were bright, like for example if you're trying to read something outside on your phone but the sun is shining and it's making it hard to see anything on the phone's screen. For contrasting sprite colors and maps, that's something I never noticed or saw mentioned before and I'm unsure if you're meaning from a graphical perspective that it feels out of place or that it's uncomfortable for your eyesight (since you mentioned you could have been sensitive that day, that the bright colors were a bit harsh, and finding it hard to see at night)? 

@ finding where to go after the hotel, Emily says for the player to meet her at the Tourist Info Center after the scene in the hotel room. 

I can definitely understand how the beginning of the game feels like that. The player and Emily are just going on a summer vacation and there's not much more than that going on in the beginning. It's around the time where you played up to (with Team Portal in the Game Corner) that there start to be more story events and more characters introduced. 

Early on when everything was still being planned out, there were a few early story scenes that didn't end up making it into the game or were shortened since I was cautious of setting up too much too soon and felt better about the beginning being more of an introduction, although if people think it feels like there's next to no story at all in the beginning, that isn't ideal either. 

@ feedback, apologize if hurt/too harsh: Everyone has different reasons for playing games, different kinds of games that they like, etc. so it's okay to not enjoy a game, to think that some parts could use improvement, etc. 

I take feedback and suggestions included in posts seriously. It's important to remember to be constructive and respectful when giving feedback since there are people behind the products and screens, so I also appreciate that you mentioned not trying to be harsh and about not giving up on hopes and dreams!

Thank you once again for taking your time with me!

I didn't know about the story of the first one, so I'm a bit embaressed now. Sorry about that! Talking about that area, is it normal to the items to appear continuosly? Because I already have plenty of stones due to that. When I noticed that the map was randomized, I was really suprised! I think it is a really good idea (and also, the idea of not having to worry about evolutionary stones is so good, in case that the items are supposed to appear continuosly)!

I'm glad that I helped with the 2nd one! You need to enter from the side though (like in that corner).

1 hour ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Well, I'll give you an example. I recently found a little too bright the Game

corner:

1265850139_CoinCorner.png.b3d3885263f2a130d1aaf800d1593c6f.png

If I stare too much time it even starts to hurt my eyes, and it's more noticeable when you enter it (since you are used to the "normal" brightness of the game). Maybe it's just me being dumb though, if no other person ever talked about this. I don't have any kind of problem with lights (like any kind of sickness), but maybe I'm sensitive with light. However I didn't have any kind of problem with other games, that I remember of, but probably it's just my problem, because surely if it was for some people like this too, they would have already told you!

2 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Well, as I said, I probably missed it.

I'm glad I made my point of view clear! But probably I'm just a minority.

I'm really relieved to know that you weren't hurt by my feedback! I know that you're going to make a fantastic game in the end, and I will be willing to play it! I have decided to wait for a new version of the game (as you recommended), but I will be looking forward to it (specially because you said that the story starts to develop after this part of the game). I was worried that my comment was going to be seen as bad, because I've seen some "constructive" opinions that just hate on the game so merciless, and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings! As I said, you are doing a great job with this game, it's just that I'm a bit perfectionist, so I point out very small details. Although I didn't feel connected with the beggining of the game , that doesn't mean I never will! So thank you for your kind words, and I'll be waiting for a new update! I know you will make a very good game, and I wish you the best!

By the way, sorry for my english, it's just that my native language isn't english, so sorry for any mistakes!

• Global Mods
1 hour ago, PokefanPT said:

Thank you once again for taking your time with me!

I didn't know about the story of the first one, so I'm a bit embaressed now. Sorry about that! Talking about that area, is it normal to the items to appear continuosly? Because I already have plenty of stones due to that. When I noticed that the map was randomized, I was really suprised! I think it is a really good idea (and also, the idea of not having to worry about evolutionary stones is so good, in case that the items are supposed to appear continuosly)!

I'm glad that I helped with the 2nd one! You need to enter from the side though (like in that corner).

Well, I'll give you an example. I recently found a little too bright the Game

corner:

1265850139_CoinCorner.png.b3d3885263f2a130d1aaf800d1593c6f.png

If I stare too much time it even starts to hurt my eyes, and it's more noticeable when you enter it (since you are used to the "normal" brightness of the game). Maybe it's just me being dumb though, if no other person ever talked about this. I don't have any kind of problem with lights (like any kind of sickness), but maybe I'm sensitive with light. However I didn't have any kind of problem with other games, that I remember of, but probably it's just my problem, because surely if it was for some people like this too, they would have already told you!

Well, as I said, I probably missed it.

I'm glad I made my point of view clear! But probably I'm just a minority.

I'm really relieved to know that you weren't hurt by my feedback! I know that you're going to make a fantastic game in the end, and I will be willing to play it! I have decided to wait for a new version of the game (as you recommended), but I will be looking forward to it (specially because you said that the story starts to develop after this part of the game). I was worried that my comment was going to be seen as bad, because I've seen some "constructive" opinions that just hate on the game so merciless, and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings! As I said, you are doing a great job with this game, it's just that I'm a bit perfectionist, so I point out very small details. Although I didn't feel connected with the beggining of the game , that doesn't mean I never will! So thank you for your kind words, and I'll be waiting for a new update! I know you will make a very good game, and I wish you the best!

By the way, sorry for my english, it's just that my native language isn't english, so sorry for any mistakes!

Items will reappear on each visit. In the Mystery Dungeon games item locations are randomized and reappear whenever you enter

The Game Corner map has a different screen color tone, I think it was meant to simulate an arcade feel with the bright lights and energy and I think it was a cool way to do that (it's an Enigma revamp map). I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I can see how it might be too bright if someone is sensitive to light or has a similar condition, and I'm willing to change it if it could effect people. In a video playthrough someone mentioned epilepsy concerns about the thunderstorm overworld weather effect suggesting that viewers with epilepsy skip that part of the video, so I removed the thunderstorms. I also replaced the sunny overworld weather effect with a sun fog effect since I thought the bright flashing might cause similar issues. 

That's ok @ English, I only speak English and still don't always know how to word things. It took around an hour and a half to make the post earlier

PyukumukuThumbsUp - Discord Emoji

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Items will reappear on each visit. In the Mystery Dungeon games item locations are randomized and reappear whenever you enter

The Game Corner map has a different screen color tone, I think it was meant to simulate an arcade feel with the bright lights and energy and I think it was a cool way to do that (it's an Enigma revamp map). I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I can see how it might be too bright if someone is sensitive to light or has a similar condition, and I'm willing to change it if it could effect people. In a video playthrough someone mentioned epilepsy concerns about the thunderstorm overworld weather effect suggesting that viewers with epilepsy skip that part of the video, so I removed the thunderstorms. I also replaced the sunny overworld weather effect with a sun fog effect since I thought the bright flashing might cause similar issues. 

That's ok @ English, I only speak English and still don't always know how to word things. It took around an hour and a half to make the post earlier

PyukumukuThumbsUp - Discord Emoji

I'm really amused to know that you are so worried about the player's health! I also thought that the game corner had that color tone because it was to simulate an arcade feel, and I must say that I find the idea cool! Maybe if Enigma added a bit of smoke it would be better(?), because the smoke could help with the brightness, and still maintain that arcade feel (I don't know, but I always imagine those areas a bit foggy, specially casinos, because many times people smoke in there). I can see why the thunderstorms could hurt some viewers (flashbacks to the Porygon episode of the anime), so I think you made the right decision!

Wow, I'm sorry if I made you loose a lot of your time! But I understand you, because I also take a long time to write a post, because I don't know how to structure some sentences, and sometimes I don't know the exact word I should apply! That's why I repeat many times the same word in my posts (my vocabulary is a bit limited in english, I must train harder!). So thank you for your kind words!

I wish the best for you and your team! If I remember of something else that I find that it could be even better, I will post it in the future! Also, I don't know if you have any idea yet, but do you know when the next update is going to be ready? It's just for me to plan out my "game schedule" (like, If I finished a game, but Pokémon Spork is receiving an update 3 days later, then I'm not starting any other game, since I don't like to play 2 games at the same time) and also to have an idea of when should I check this forum for updates more regularly!

• Global Mods
4 hours ago, PokefanPT said:

I'm really amused to know that you are so worried about the player's health! I also thought that the game corner had that color tone because it was to simulate an arcade feel, and I must say that I find the idea cool! Maybe if Enigma added a bit of smoke it would be better(?), because the smoke could help with the brightness, and still maintain that arcade feel (I don't know, but I always imagine those areas a bit foggy, specially casinos, because many times people smoke in there). I can see why the thunderstorms could hurt some viewers (flashbacks to the Porygon episode of the anime), so I think you made the right decision!

Wow, I'm sorry if I made you loose a lot of your time! But I understand you, because I also take a long time to write a post, because I don't know how to structure some sentences, and sometimes I don't know the exact word I should apply! That's why I repeat many times the same word in my posts (my vocabulary is a bit limited in english, I must train harder!). So thank you for your kind words!

I wish the best for you and your team! If I remember of something else that I find that it could be even better, I will post it in the future! Also, I don't know if you have any idea yet, but do you know when the next update is going to be ready? It's just for me to plan out my "game schedule" (like, If I finished a game, but Pokémon Spork is receiving an update 3 days later, then I'm not starting any other game, since I don't like to play 2 games at the same time) and also to have an idea of when should I check this forum for updates more regularly!

When you mentioned fog I personally thought of the fog machines that they have at places like concerts and similar events sometimes, that might work in an arcade too. Since the next reupload is close I've just changed it to a normal screen for now but I think it's worth experimenting with in the future!

For the next reupload, although the content is almost done, I'm not able to determine a specific time frame for when it'll release. One reason is that amount of time able to spend working on the game can vary, or something can take more or less time than anticipated. 

For update checking, there's usually an announcement + reupload every month or every other month, though sometimes can be shorter or longer. I think the most convenient way to know when updates happen is probably following the Spork thread, that way you'll get a notification whenever there's a post!

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2020 at 2:44 PM, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

When you mentioned fog I personally thought of the fog machines that they have at places like concerts and similar events sometimes, that might work in an arcade too. Since the next reupload is close I've just changed it to a normal screen for now but I think it's worth experimenting with in the future!

For the next reupload, although the content is almost done, I'm not able to determine a specific time frame for when it'll release. One reason is that amount of time able to spend working on the game can vary, or something can take more or less time than anticipated. 

For update checking, there's usually an announcement + reupload every month or every other month, though sometimes can be shorter or longer. I think the most convenient way to know when updates happen is probably following the Spork thread, that way you'll get a notification whenever there's a post!

Thank you for everything!

I perfectly understand what you're saying! Also, life is unpredictable, you never know what's going to happen, even I sometimes take too long to do something (like replying here, sorry about that), because life also gets in the way.

I'll do what you suggested! I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your team!

• 1 month later...

How do I download the game?  Whenever I try, I end up in the pie-eating contest event which ends up with me getting a level 100 Lickitung instead of starting my own and choosing my starter.  Please help.  @Wailmer Watcher

• Global Mods
55 minutes ago, Hungk said:

How do I download the game?  Whenever I try, I end up in the pie-eating contest event which ends up with me getting a level 100 Lickitung instead of starting my own and choosing my starter.  Please help.  @Wailmer Watcher

You downloaded Delicia's Delicious Dreamland, which is a smaller game that takes place before Spork. The Spork download links are under the "Episode 8 Download Links" part of the Spork thread, just above the download links for Delicia's Delicious Dreamland. 

image.png.4a99feb239bfbca162aa2fbadee2cced.png

(also Wailmer Watcher is my member title, my username is Ice Cream Sand Witch. usernames are listed just above member titles) 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I’m late to the party, but better late than never. Just wanted to give my two-cents regarding an inquiry about whether or not to play Pokémon Spork.

The beauty of fan-games made via RPG Maker is that you can do a lot of things in terms of eventing. You can make a extremely simple adventure (like Spork) or make it so complex that the decisions you chose could have an impact of the game’s true ending (like Reborn, Desolation, or Rejuvenation). Pokémon Spork seems to lean towards being a pretty relaxing adventure as if you are playing a regular Pokémon core-series games. There is no level caps regarding obedience from all Pokémon (though I recall traded Pokémon in core-series games can disobey if your Pokemon went over the level) and also no Field Effects (except from already established ones in the core series games such as Misty, Grassy, Electric, and Psychic), so you should have no problems going through this adventure.

To share an analogy, if there was a Pokémon game which is extremely similar to Pokemon Spork, I have to say that it’s on par with Gold/Silver/Crystal along with their remakes of HeartGold and SoulSilver. These are one of the few games where it contains 16 badges, and that’s because there’s two regions to explore (Kanto and Johto). Spork and other fan games has 18 badges to cover, so that’s not too far off. And as far as villainous team goes, I guess Team Portal would be the equivalent of either Team Yell or Team Skull since, I believe, they’re only slightly causing trouble, but not to the point where you see any type of destruction or majorly unethical actions that would affect the entire region.

So if there’s someone who absolutely never played Pokémon before and wanted to play a Pokémon fan-game, Pokemon Spork would definitely be the first choice of start your adventure. The A.I. Pokémon Teams are appropriately leveled so that it gives you an idea of when to grind, and luckily, there are lots of Pokémon Breeder with their team of Audinos using S.D. Attacks designed to Knock Out itself and give you massive EXP (though I still think Blissey gives far more EXP than Audino, I would have to experiment that). Some of the Pokémon’s movesets are somewhat optimized for major characters while most regular trainers have Pokémon whose learnset is based on what level they’re at, as it stores the four most recent level up moves if no other info is added in trainers.txt (tldr they’re not optimized). IVs can become 31/31/31/31/31/31 like Champion Cynthia from DPPt but no EVs are specifically assigned since the most Essentials can automatically set is 85/85/85/85/85/85 for a grand total of 510 EVs if the Pokémon is level 57 or more, so their stats are also unoptimized. As far as dialogue goes, I think some NPC made clear where to go next, so there isn’t a time where I get stuck on somewhere.

Oops, I was rambling into making a review of that fan game, but my point still stands that this would be the first fan game to play if you haven’t played any Pokémon game before or just fed up with intense difficulty Reborn and Rejuvenation provides (since they optimize everything). I see that you already have played those intense games, and I can see why you might not like it, and that’s okay. I know I have some of my stuff that I would either invest on or put it to the side. It’s also hard for me to recommending something because I don’t know what people exactly want. As for me, I enjoyed Pokémon Spork the moment I started playing it last year (July 2019), and it was extremely fun and enjoyable, to the point where I recorded 4 separate adventures on my YT, making some fan arts of Spork related characters, made one appreciation post, and (even extreme) made a side story related to Spork with the goal of making it as hard as possible (which I hope would be the most difficult side story in terms of team composition). And even to this present day, I still got work to do!

At the end of the day, ultimately, what matters the most is whether you are willing to enjoy your experience. Our insight and thoughts can only go as far.