Pokemon Desolation Episode 5

Caz

I took Flabebe as my starter and the only moves it has are resisted by Fire types except for Tackle.

Sure, i can go and catch some other pokemon, but it doesnt excuse the fact that the difficulty spike is way to big, having big difficulty spikes isnt exactly a good idea, especially that early in the game, its just frustrating to go from battling some big boss with 3 pokemon straight to some other boss with 6 pokemon at near max level, i dont like the idea of that.

You should add some stuff in-between the two battles to make the difficulty curve smoother than it is now.

And lemme say that its definetaly possible to beat him with my 2 pokemon, it would just require some luck and multiple restarts, based on how weak vulpix was and how fragile Fletchinder is despite it dealing shitloads of damage.

Edited by Nhadala

Definitely looks interesting, I will try it out for sure ! Not sure whether to wait for more eps 1st though

edit: I just went and downloaded it. Looks nice so far , though I just got my pokemon. What I wonder atm is whether you're looking for help with speech/grammar for the dialogue since I notice minor mistakes here and there?

Edited by Masquerain

• Developers

Oh I've noticed the minor grammar errors. It's mostly fixed for the next release and comma splicing isn't so bad in new content [:

• Upvote 1

• Global Mods

Team matchups still factor into difficulty. I had almost no difficulty with Connor at all, but Kuiki was a nightmare for me because I kept getting poisoned by Beedrill. I have Spheal and Braixen, and also got the Croagunk (found that after I had beaten Connor).

• Upvote 1

I am at my battle with Connor now, attempted the cave puzzle thingy but nobody even begins to give you a hint what you're meant to do there so I guess I failed with that

Team for Connor atm - lv20 Sandile, lv19 Vivillon, Lv19 Pansage, Lv19 Glameow, Lv19 Braixen

EDIT: Added a bibarel to that team (lv15) It essentially swept 3/6 of Connor's team with rollout , the other 2 fell with the help of sandile and glameow and the last one was taken down by Braixen

needless to say, my team without that bibarel got demolished because things like flame burst 1/2-shot my entire team

Edited by Masquerain

• 4 weeks later...
  • Developers

I suppose an announcement is in order, to at least let those interested understand what is happening.

My work as of late has been slow, really slow. The last few weeks I haven't had much time to work on the game, despite being so close to finishing the release. The prep for exams and work has been taking up all my time and its hard to find a spare second to finish up on the episode. Also, our family has been significantly impacted by the recent Paris attacks so I doubt I'll find time to work anytime soon.

Please note, by no means is this game discontinued, in fact the release is almost finished. This announcement simply means that there's a lot of things I still want to add in, but finding time to do so is difficult.

That being said, thanks for the support!

Here's a little spoiler of the current obtainable list for Episode 2. Note that it's incomplete and I still plan on adding some.

~GENERAL ENCOUNTERS~

PIDGEY
SCATTERBUG
WOOPER
CATERPIE
POOCHYENA
KRICKETOT
LOTAD
ZIGZAGOON
GLAMEOW
STARLY
BIDOOF
RATTATA
SPINARK
WURMPLE
MEOWTH
WEEDLE
LOMBRE
SUNKERN
PARAS
BELLSPROUT
SEEDOT
ODDISH
SLUGMA
NUMEL
MANKEY
CUBONE
PANSEAR
TEDDIURSA
PIDOVE
PINECO
BURMY

~EVENTS~

Choice of any 18 Starters
CROAGUNK
PANSAGE
MAGBY
TORKOAL
ARON
GASTLY
ELEKID

~CREDIT SHOP~

MACHOP
SLOWPOKE
MAGNEMITE

Edited by Caz
  • Upvote 5

I am at my battle with Connor now, attempted the cave puzzle thingy but nobody even begins to give you a hint what you're meant to do there so I guess I failed with that

Team for Connor atm - lv20 Sandile, lv19 Vivillon, Lv19 Pansage, Lv19 Glameow, Lv19 Braixen

EDIT: Added a bibarel to that team (lv15) It essentially swept 3/6 of Connor's team with rollout , the other 2 fell with the help of sandile and glameow and the last one was taken down by Braixen

needless to say, my team without that bibarel got demolished because things like flame burst 1/2-shot my entire team

Where you able to find bidoof? I've been looking forever xD

I suppose an announcement is in order, to at least let those interested understand what is happening.

My work as of late has been slow, really slow. The last few weeks I haven't had much time to work on the game, despite being so close to finishing the release. The prep for exams and work has been taking up all my time and its hard to find a spare second to finish up on the episode. Also, our family has been significantly impacted by the recent Paris attacks so I doubt I'll find time to work anytime soon.

Please note, by no means is this game discontinued, in fact the release is almost finished. This announcement simply means that there's a lot of things I still want to add in, but finding time to do so is difficult.

That being said, thanks for the support!

Here's a little spoiler of the current obtainable list for Episode 2. Note that it's incomplete and I still plan on adding some.

~GENERAL ENCOUNTERS~

PIDGEY
SCATTERBUG
WOOPER
CATERPIE
POOCHYENA
KRICKETOT
LOTAD
ZIGZAGOON
GLAMEOW
STARLY
BIDOOF
RATTATA
SPINARK
WURMPLE
MEOWTH
WEEDLE
LOMBRE
SUNKERN
PARAS
BELLSPROUT
SEEDOT
ODDISH
SLUGMA
NUMEL
MANKEY
CUBONE
PANSEAR
TEDDIURSA
PIDOVE
PINECO
BURMY

~EVENTS~

Choice of any 18 Starters
CROAGUNK
PANSAGE
MAGBY
TORKOAL
ARON
GASTLY
ELEKID

~CREDIT SHOP~

MACHOP
SLOWPOKE
MAGNEMITE

i'm really looking forward to it. I was actually worrie you abandoned the project lmao

• Developers

@Yash, I said I'd work on Desolation on my lonesome for many reasons but thanks dude for the offer.

Just a quick note to let you guys know that development is running super smoothly again and that I'm quickly reaching the finish line.

Beta testers, you can expect this update to drop sometime next week.

This Episode is about three times as long as the first, and spans from level 20 to 35.

Edited by Caz
  • Upvote 2

@Yash, I said I'd work on Desolation on my lonesome for many reasons but thanks dude for the offer.

Just a quick note to let you guys know that development is running super smoothly again and that I'm quickly reaching the finish line. Now I suspect that my game might get eaten up soon by Se7en-sama but hey, at least all is well now.

Beta testers, you can expect this update to drop sometime next week.

This Episode is about three times as long as the first, and spans from level 20 to 35.

hey man your game is very good and dont worry some people like me dont like the fake pokemon games and try to play normal games with normal pokemon and i thing they must try your game is amazing

this looks like to much fun to pass up~

EDIT: so far so good... id just like to say that when i saw 8 pokeballs on the field i assumed we were setting up a whole team... i grab the pancham and dont check the last 2 and find out i cant get them now qq.
TL;DR perhaps add "you can only handle one of those dweeb" into the text or something?

EDIT: game O...P... must... keep... grinding... cant... stop .. playing <.>

EDIT: just finished the playthrough so time for a legit review. The bars yo.
everything was very smooth, the graphics were good, i was hoping to build a team out of the 8 pokemon available but thats just me being an idiot
love the pansage chase, but his leech seed doesn't have sound to go with the effects.

Wooper vs audino, in one match 2 mudshots i out sped it for a turn and then it out sped me until i got 4 mud shots off. It also seems like there's a random chance that speed is ignored and someone just attacks first...

the encounter rate was a tad high for my liking, but its needed in those first areas so that's just me complaining.

i like the fire style gary oak... erm connor?
all in all, how you say... I WANNA PLAY MORE QQ

• Developers

this looks like to much fun to pass up~

EDIT: so far so good... id just like to say that when i saw 8 pokeballs on the field i assumed we were setting up a whole team... i grab the pancham and dont check the last 2 and find out i cant get them now qq.

TL;DR perhaps add "you can only handle one of those dweeb" into the text or something?

EDIT: game O...P... must... keep... grinding... cant... stop .. playing <.>

EDIT: just finished the playthrough so time for a legit review. The bars yo.

everything was very smooth, the graphics were good, i was hoping to build a team out of the 8 pokemon available but thats just me being an idiot

love the pansage chase, but his leech seed doesn't have sound to go with the effects.

Wooper vs audino, in one match 2 mudshots i out sped it for a turn and then it out sped me until i got 4 mud shots off. It also seems like there's a random chance that speed is ignored and someone just attacks first...

the encounter rate was a tad high for my liking, but its needed in those first areas so that's just me complaining.

i like the fire style gary oak... erm connor?

all in all, how you say... I WANNA PLAY MORE QQ

I've fixed the encounter rate but AYY THIS IS WHAT I LIKE TO SEE.

I'll check out the speed problem (might have been a speed tie if wooper was high enough)

• Developers

5YUEMnn.png

As Beta testers will know, the Episode 2 release will be finished in the next 72 hours. In light of this, I've decided to talk about a little feature I thought would be interesting for the game.

Many RPG's have you make choices that determine how other characters feel about you, and this can lead to scenarios where characters may act differently depending on how you've treated them in the past.

I've added my own variant of this called the Reputation System. Throughout the game you will be given choices, some are important and some will appear minor. However, all of these are game changing. Depending on how you treat a character, your relationship with them can increase or decrease, leading to them trusting you a lot, or hating your guts. This can and will lead to multiple outcomes to a scenario, which will alter the course of your game.

How it works

For example let's use pretend characters 'Christie' and 'Brooke', say Christie asks you whether her hair looks nicer than Brooke's. If you answer yes, your rep with Christie will increase (and your rep with Brooke may decrease). These insignificant events will begin to amount over time, and some situations will be worth more rep than others. Your reputation with each character will be extremely important during the story. For example, say Christie must choose a side, whether to stay with you, or run off with some villains. If your rep with Christie is very high, of course she will want to stay with you. However, if your rep with her is low because you're a sadistic and mean person, there's no way she'll want to stay with you, so she'll leave.

Each significant character will start with 5 reputation points. As you make decisions this count can either increase or decrease. Generally small events like above will increase or decrease the rep count by 1 point, but large events can alter this rep count by up to 15 points. You will be unable to accurately know your rep number with a character to the exact digit. However you are able to check their Rep with an NPC (not yet added) where they will tell you if a character either:

- Hates you.

- Dislikes you slightly.

- Has a neutral opinion of you.

- Likes you somewhat.

- Likes you... A lot.

If a character likes you somewhat then you will be able to do individual side quests with/for them to further increase your rep with them.

Finally, the rep system is more affected by your actions than the in dialogue choices you make. If a character disagrees with your actions then you will lose rep. If they admire you for your actions, then you will gain rep.

Now this adds a lot of hard work on my part so I want to know what players think about the idea. You'll be presented with a bit of this in Episode 2.

Edited by Caz
  • Upvote 4

• Developers

Episode 1 will have a few reputation events, however none are major. Episode 1 content had a huge amount of changes including this. Whether or not you want to restart is up to you. But for players who don't have enough time to replay the entirety of Episode 1, there are no significant drawbacks of using your current save file.

Edited by Caz

that rep system actually looks... pretty amazing. I think that would be the first time i've seen someone implement it into a fangame/hack or anything i've ever played.

If you get it to work that would be amazing and would definitely have me playing more

EDIT: does just playing it make you a beta tester or is there a inside group for beta testing? (always wanted to be a pokemon beta tester o.o')

Edited by Leon99

• Developers

Anyone who wants to Beta test simply has to send me a PM before the beta release... Which is tomorrow. Beta testers play the release and report as many bugs as they can in 3-4 days before I release to the hot fixed version to the community. [:

Edited by Caz

Just a heads up for others doing beta, it initially downloaded and chrome claimed a virus. i ran a anti viral program and its all clear... so for me at least i had to turn off my chrome protection to download it.

EDIT: Script 'SpriteWindow' line 218: RuntimeError occured. filename is nil ---> this was repaired by deleting previous files and re-downloading

ok gotta stop for now so, after restarting, so far so good, i only had the one issue which was easily fixed. My entire computer is set on claiming its malware.. don't know how to fix that.

The fact it warns you when your battery is low is awesome. and the reputation system looks like its going to be alot of fun in the long run

Edited by Leon99

• Developers

Just a heads up for others doing beta, it initially downloaded and chrome claimed a virus. i ran a anti viral program and its all clear... so for me at least i had to turn off my chrome protection to download it.

IIRC, You can disable this setting on Chrome. Just look in the advanced settings tab.