Candy

From Everland to Reborn ~ A fairytale themed run [Last defeated: Ciel]

Which team? Multiple choice allowed but limit to 2 choices :)  

30 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. [Insert a question here]

• CHOICE 1
    • CHOICE 2
    • CHOICE 3
    • CHOICE 4
    • CHOICE 5

Awesome episode as always, Candy! 

Now that the Devon part is coming closer and the in-story Candy is going to be in there as well, I thought about the mega-rayquaza being a bit to strong to simply get captured.

So what is going to happen with Candy? What will change from the original situation?

I am definetly exited for the next episode.

On 5/4/2020 at 5:34 AM, Mindlack said:

Yay, Season 4! 

But I'm really worried the beginning is too good to be true. Too much positive emotion, that's... really ominous. 

Now I'm really scared... But I now realize it's somewhat true, from E16 on, the picture really looks grimmer and grimmer somehow. Like Pyrrhic victories. 

Had Vanilla chosen to fight Taka, hope might've been in the picture but alas, that didn't happen

On 5/4/2020 at 7:09 AM, Baumina said:

Awesome episode as always, Candy! 

Now that the Devon part is coming closer and the in-story Candy is going to be in there as well, I thought about the mega-rayquaza being a bit to strong to simply get captured.

So what is going to happen with Candy? What will change from the original situation?

I am definetly exited for the next episode.

Thanks! I donut think mega-ray will make an appearance in battle because it's actually not Candy's pokemon. It's similar what Pikachu is to Vanilla, a relationship of mutual respect rather than of a leader-subordinate one. Devon gonna be lit and dramathicc, as always 😛

• Like 1

tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gifFrom Everland to Reborn ~ Episode 72tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gif

WBFeQjL.png?1

Azurine Island had somehow stopped looking like a setting for a horror movie, and now looked like a pleasant island to spend a weekend at. I saw a few people apparently surveying the area. Perhaps they were researchers, but I couldn’t tell for sure.

Then, we made it to Apophyll beach, which was left the same as I remembered it, despite the huge metamorphosis that the region had undergone. I figured that Apophyll, with its focus on tradition, would oppose any changes even if it were for the better.

I walked to the Academy, and once there I took off my shoes to clean out the sand that had accumulated inside. I asked a student whether Victoria was in, but she told me that she unfortunately wasn’t. According to her, she and quite a few of her students had left Apophyll to help out with the city’s construction work, saying that this was a good chance to build physical strength while helping out the region. That was noble and all, but it also meant that I had to walk back through the sand once again and without Victoria.

“Now where shall we go, Pikachu?” I scratched my head.

Construction work was going on all over the city, so she could be anywhere.

“I guess this is the time to do as Candy suggested,” I said, holding back a smile. “Time for sightseeing the whole city.”

Once I returned to Coral Ward, I passed by Adrienn’s gym briefly to make sure Victoria wasn’t there. Xe noticed me and waved a hand. The audacity! After treating me like a criminal down in the creepy underground castle, xe means to act like it didn’t happen? I turned my face away and kept walking, since the person I was looking for wasn’t there.

I went through South Obsidia Ward, so far the part that had been neglected the most by the construction workers. It was still a hub for thugs, who looked at me with disapproving expressions while they lit up their oddishweed joints.

Meanwhile, business was buzzing and more than ever in Obsidia and North Obsidia Wards, so much so that a few companies’ representatives gave me applications for positions I had zero intention to occupy. It was a stark contrast with the area I had just passed, reminding me that walls would always exist between the fortunate and the less fortunate, whether such a wall was imposed by law or just the invisible hand of supply and demand. 

I shook my head.

“It’s better for it to be imposed by supply and demand. At least one’d have more autonomy over one’s fate that way.”

Mgb4vgr.png?1

Lapis Ward was pretty much unchanged. It had always been the most ordered ward, owing it to the high number of wealthy people who lived there. 

The prison… the orphanage was closed as always, and I wondered what had been the fate of the children who weren’t so lucky as to escape it. At least, I hoped it had changed for the better, given that Dr. Connal was currently in Labradorra.

I also stepped into Shelly’s Gym. Inside, I found a man guarding the entrance to the library portion, and he told me that Shelly was absent and thus I’d have to come back another day for a battle.

“Actually, I don’t really know when she’ll come back. Last I heard, she’s in Calcenon helping fight Team Meteor.”

When I came out of the Gym, two people who were talking to each other approached me.

“Hey, you’re Vanilla, right?” one of them asked.

“Yes. Why?”

“We’ve heard much of you in the news lately.”

“Is it true that Candy and you restored the Water Treatment Center? Thanks to you, the price of clean water has gone down by a lot.”

“It’s not just us. Titania also helped,” I corrected.

The two looked at each other with forced smiles. It would seem I bumped into Titania-haters.

“Ah, by the way, how is Shelly doing? Do you know if she plans to return anytime soon? We have a few friends who are itching for a Gym battle.”

“She’s doing well, but she’s busy with the situation in Calcenon.”

“Yeah, we figured.”

“Bummer for my friends. With over half the leaders absent, it’s practically impossible to complete the League, and the whole terrorist situation is taking forever to resolve.”

“It would seem so,” I said. “Tell your friends to stop idly complaining and come help fight terrorists so that it’s resolved as soon as possible.”

Then, I left them behind to keep looking for Victoria.

“You heard that, Pikachu? Complaining about silly things while people put their lives on the line.”

Needless to say, I was put off by the conversation, but I was determined not to be in an ill mood. We still had a few wards to check out, and I wanted to do it with honest appreciation.

oLcbj3l.png

Peridot Ward was also greatly remodeled. There were a few parks that were added in, giving the neighborhood a higher quality of life. Children were playing catch, while the elderly sat on benches to watch them. As I watched from the side, the small ball missed the catcher’s glove and bounced twice before rolling to my feet. I bent down and picked up the ball.

“Sorry sis,” said one of the kids when he came over to retrieve the ball.

I handed him the ball, but the boy kept staring at me.

“Can I help you?” I asked.

“Sis, your face seems familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?”

“As far as I remember, I don’t know you.”

The child stared some more with a pensive expression. Then he clapped his hands.

“Oh I know. You’re the sis from TV. The one fighting the bad guys, right?”

“I guess I am.”

“Wow it’s so cool to meet you. I also want to fight bad guys but mom says I have to go to school and train my pokemon first.”

“It never hurts to be prepared,” I said, but it sounded more like something Wolfie would’ve said.

“But that’d take too long and they’ll get beaten before I finish,” the boy pouted. “Say, sis. Would you talk to mom and tell her to let me fight?”

“No, sorry but I won’t,” I said, instantly clouding the boy’s glittery eyes. “If you had enough strength, you wouldn’t need to convince anyone of the fact. Come find us when you and your pokemon have won people’s respect.”

Then, I remembered the couple from Lapis Ward earlier and added: “Your bravery and will to help, though, are very welcome. Thank you.”

I thought the child would cry, but he held back his tears. I stood back up.

“You shouldn’t think ill of your mom for not letting you fight. It’s a sign that she cares about you.”

With that, I left the boys to continue their game of catch; however, soon after I left I heard a shout from the same kid I was talking to.

“Hey, let’s stop. I challenge you all to a pokemon fight!”

When I entered Jasper Ward, I was dumbstruck. So far, the wards I had passed through must have required some repairs of the broken ground and decorations of the parks; however, nothing compared to what the Jasper Ward must have required. After all, the last time I visited, it was basically destroyed to an inhabitable degree. Now, it was not only repaired but beautiful, almost to the extent that I couldn’t believe what it once was.

From what I gathered, the majority of people who lived here were over 50 years of age. That was no surprise, since the ward was practically filled with clinics and elderly homes. It would be mighty convenient for old people to live here.

I also took a peek at Malchous Forest, which from afar seemed to be about to lose its forest status. A lot of trees had been cut down, probably to reconstruct the city. There was a young girl with a sign arguing with the workers that were still busy cutting wood and transporting it around. I was rather surprised there weren’t more people fighting against deforestation, but I guessed people were either too busy building homes or being elated about restoring a broken city.

voYNq5t.png

Lastly, I entered the northwestern-most ward, which was the Beryl Ward. This one hadn’t been destroyed as much as Jasper Ward, but still had a good amount of vegetation outgrowth in some areas due to the PULSE. Now, those patches of grass had been mowed and the pavement had been restored. I wondered if Heather would be glad that her home had been fixed, or get angry at the workers and Adrienn for doing what she wanted to do.

I walked the streets of Beryl, which had more people than I remembered being around when I visited in the past. When I reached the front of the now-deserted Gym, I stopped in my tracks.

“This ward only brings back bad memories,” I said to Pikachu. “It’s the place that a person committed suicide in front of me, and also the place I came when you…”

I patted the head of his disguise. Pikachu bent his neck so that he stroked my hand instead.

“It’s no use remembering painful memories. I always try not to think of that sort of stuff.”

I turned left to head to the cemetery, thinking that Victoria could be visiting Kiki’s grave. Kiki's ashes had been mostly scattered on Apophyll beach, but I remembered seeing a tombstone with her name in the past when I'd visit Pikachu's. Perhaps Victoria wanted a separate, more tangible place of mourning. At least that's what I assumed, since it wasn't my place to ask Victoria unnecessary questions regarding her mentor.

However, when I made a left turn from the supposedly-empty Gym, I heard a couple of loud animal cries from within it. I jolted from the sudden sounds and rushed in to see what was happening, hoping that it was the doing of a stray pokemon and definitely not a ghost’s.

Indeed, I found two pokemon. Two, apparently stray, skuntanks, to be precise. One of them appeared to be angrier than the other, and kept trying to scratch its opponent. All the other one did was dodge the attacks, which pissed the offense even more.

I sent out Wolfie (lycanroc) and told her to use a couple of attacks to knock out the violent skuntank. Fortunately, the skuntank wasn’t very strong, so we could calm the situation in no time. The other skuntank looked at me, at Pikachu, and then quickly ran away from the Gym.

“What could that have been about?” I pondered aloud as I called Wolfie back to her pokeball.

Pikachu jumped off my shoulder, catching my attention in the process. He approached the knocked out pokemon, and pulled out a plastic card from beneath its paw. He handed the card to me, and I saw both sides to determine what it was. The card reminded me of Aladdin’s keycard, but this one didn’t have any decorations or text on it.

“Pikachu, I think this skuntank… was Corey’s. I don’t know if I should take this card from it, when I don’t even know what it’s for.”

When I don’t even know what it’s for. I looked in the direction of Corey’s room. He was part of Team Meteor, whether willingly or not. 

“This key… can’t just be an inert piece of plastic, can it?”

I extended my arm so that Pikachu could climb back to my shoulder, and we headed inside Corey’s room. The room smelled like damp mold; however, it had been left intact from the only time I had seen it. Even the hood and mask that he had worn earlier that day, were still neatly folded on top of his table, albeit with a layer of dust clouding its black color.

I searched around for a place to use the card key on, and I eventually found it. There was a slit on the farthest wall, where I could slide the card in. The wall dislocated and pushing it revealed a secret room.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t much inside that could interest me. Just a couple items like a toxic orb and a framed picture of a pink-haired lady smiling, but he also had a wall covered with vials of what I assumed was poison. I felt like this couldn’t be all he had hidden in this room, so I searched some more. Eventually, I found an old notebook that had some coffee stains on it, or at least I hoped they were coffee stains and not from something toxic. I thought I hit the jackpot and had found the notebook that contained secret information about Team Meteor. However, I soon realized this wasn’t the case, when I turned to the first page.

TZKfkV6.png

“Dear Heather,” I read aloud. “By the time you read this, you’ll be strong.”

I was not raised to be strong.

I was raised to be naïve, and I suffered for it.

I shall not make this same mistake with you.

I closed the notebook for a moment. That was enough to get an idea of what this notebook was, and now I wasn’t sure that I should be reading it. However, I had already started reading, and I couldn’t stop my curiosity from creeping in. So I kept reading.

“Reality is cruel,” I read aloud again. “This man… Corey writes that as if it were the most ground-breaking discovery. Ah, he did say he was raised to be naïve.”

I kept reading on. At last, I started on the part that had likely prompted Corey to write a hidden letter to his daughter. It was the story about how his wife had been murdered. 

I joined Team Meteor to sabotage them.

Specifically, I sought the head of the man who killed your mother.

He was after an artifact I foolishly bestowed upon her.

He saw her life as a small price to pay for it.

“This must be about the ruby ring,” I murmured.

The man ended her life in poison.

When I discovered her IV was laced, I struck out.

One of the few things I can still take pride in is that man’s scream as he pulled the syringe from his bleeding eye.

That eye just couldn’t have been salvageable, even with all of the Heal Pulse treatment in the world. Suddenly, the face of a man with a red eyepatch flashed in my mind. Could this have been Sirius’ doing?

Since then, I coveted the venom that ended your mother Elena’s dear life.

From it, I have made poisons to corrupt.

Poisons to control.

And poisons to deliver retribution upon the guilty. 

“In other words, this man went mad when his wife was poisoned,” I said, closing the book. “It’s ironic that he became fixated on poison, when that’s what he should be hating the most.”

I placed the notebook inside my bag. I figured this was something Heather had to own. I knew what it felt like to question yourself why your parents are the way they are, so I couldn’t just turn a blind eye to the book that contained answers that Heather probably wanted to get.

When I was about to leave the room, Pikachu cried and pulled my arm towards the vial-covered wall.

“What is it? Do you want me to steal some poison too?”

That was half a joke, but I checked the vials in any case. Each one of the thin vials had tiny writing that I could barely make out in the dim light. However, I soon found a pattern to their placement.

“KCN… Then this one is KCN antidote. Carbaryl… Then carbaryl antidote…”

Yes. Corey mentioned he had studied and synthesized several poisons, but he had omitted to write that he had also made antidotes to pair them.

“I guess antidotes are a class of poison too,” I said and closed the wall behind me.

VANILLA RATES: REBORN CHARACTERS

Spoiler
  • Corey (+1): 4/10 He might've been a shitty parent but at least he went with the "eye for an eye" with Sirius. That's my style.

QUICK LINK TO NEXT EPISODE

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Candy said:

It’s better for it to be imposed by supply and demand. At least one’d have more autonomy over one’s fate that way

Capitalism and the american dream, isn't it?

Just now, Corso said:

Capitalism and the american dream, isn't it?

yeetus. Vanilla has a similar idea to the traditional american way of thinking (freedom, liberty and pursuit of happiness, wasn't it?) and that also includes Capitalism. however Everland is an absolute government and everything is pretty much controlled by the Queen to make it easy for a select Overworld people to live happily. 

the episode is titled "Duality" so I tried to write in as many dichotomous stuffs in. South Obsidia vs Obsidia/North Obsidia, Vanilla's vision vs Queen's Everland, Reborn citizens who want to save vs those who just follow effortlessly, progress vs deforestation, and poison vs antidote. lemme feel a bit clever there, just a tiiiiinie bit 🤣

• Haha 1

EPISODES HAVE TITLES!?

53 minutes ago, Corso said:

EPISODES HAVE TITLES!?

Bruh. If you check the first page of this long-ass thread, there's a list of episodes by season, and each episode has its "official" title xD they aren't really important because, as you can tell from the lame title of "From Everland to Reborn", I suck at naming things lolol

tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gifFrom Everland to Reborn ~ Episode 73tumblr_lp0mal7AcQ1qg3clto1_250.gif

Victoria was in Beryl Cemetery. Indeed I had been to all the wards except for Onyx, to which she likely had no connection with, so she had to be there by process of elimination. I wondered if Candy and Ame were annoyed that I had taken so long to find her.

“Oh, Vanilla. You’re back in town. Hope everyone was doing alright when you left,” she said when she saw me approaching her.

“Yeah, most of them were,” I said and started going down the stairs when I noted that we weren’t alone. There was one other man kneeling in front of a gravestone, praying.

Victoria said she was glad to hear that, and looked at Kiki’s gravestone again. On closer inspection, I noticed that there was a faint redness around her eyes.

“I was just… saying ‘Hello’,” she said.

“I’m sure that’s not all you said.”

Victoria chuckled.

0KZgB5L.png

“Yes, it wasn’t all I said. The majority of the time I’ve spent here, I’ve apologized for all my mistakes. As if that would solve anything.”

“If you know that it won’t solve anything, there’s no use in apologizing,” I said.

“I can’t help it. I can’t live with the weight of her death,” she said and shook her head. “When I think she could’ve lived some more time. When I think she could’ve taught me how to be a good leader step by step… It makes my blood boil in anger. At Team Meteor. At Solaris. At Cal. But most of all, at myself.”

“I understand you, believe me. I-”

“No,” she cut my sentence with irritation. “You wouldn’t understand. If you think me losing Kiki is comparable to you losing your pachirisu friend, it’s not.”

She then moved closer to me and stroked Pikachu’s head.

“It’s not the same, because your friend came back. Kiki will never.”

“I wasn’t referring to Pikachu. I do know what it feels like to lose people, forever.”

Victoria seemed surprised and instantly broke eye contact with me.

“S-sorry for assuming,” she apologized.

“Because of me, a person that was very dear to me died,” I told her. “And for a long time, I didn’t know how to cope with the loss. But today, I know the way to do it isn’t apologizing or crying in front of a gravestone, or pretending the tragedy didn’t happen, or lashing out at everyone and everything.”

Here, I took a pause. I remembered Wolfie’s dying words, one more time: “Long live Queen Eterna”

“I know what I have to do. And you... Kiki entrusted you Apophyll, the place she loved, the people she wanted to protect at all costs. You know what to do.”

Victoria gazed at me in silence. The man who probably could hear all of our conversation, also said nothing. Only the trees around us kept whispering among themselves.

“It’s been a long time since we last saw each other, Vanilla. I’ve been reminded of that fact just now,” she said at last.

“What do you mean?”

“Perhaps you can’t notice it yourself, but you’re no longer the girl with bloodshot eyes I once knew,” she elaborated. “I wonder if it’s because you’re close to finding what neither I nor- surprisingly perhaps- Kiki believed existed. True Inner Peace.”

At this, I had to laugh out loud.

“Impossible. I still have anger in me, but many things have happened since then that have helped me organize my mind. I’m now in better control of my impulses.”

“That’s a good thing. I hope I can one day say the same for myself,” she said and smiled. “I’ll be waiting in the Grand Hall, then.”

Huh? I had yet to tell her that Ame had asked her to come, so how did she know?

“Ame had told me about this mission already. And I knew you wouldn’t come looking for me for any other reason,” she said, and then got close to whisper in my ear. “But if you could do me a favor. Talk to that man over there. I think I vaguely remember him being a Team Meteor grunt, but I’m not 100% sure. It’d be best to make sure he isn’t a spy.”

Victoria left and now it was Team Meteor spy’s turn.

On a closer look, I realized I also knew the man. I couldn’t recognize him at first because he wasn’t wearing his Team Meteor uniform and his hair was visible now, but I think his name was Simon. I vaguely remember him tackling Saphira when we kind of raided their hideout in Tanzan Mountain.

He frowned at me when he saw me approaching him.

“I hoped I’d go unnoticed, but I guess we must talk,” he said. “I must admit that was a nice little conversation you had just now. I hope you don’t mind me listening in.”

“What are you doing here? Are you on Team Meteor’s business?”

“Come here, I’ll show you.”

He stepped to the side so that I could read the tombstone.

Tara.

“This is…” I trailed.

“I don’t know her last name or her family, or anything really,” he said. “I didn’t even have her body, since it’s located at the bottom of the lake. This is all I could do. To place a tombstone in her memory.”

He walked over to another gravestone, and cleaned it with a damp towel.

“Twice. Twice I’ve lost the girl I loved,” he sighed and squatted.

“My condolences, but Tara’s death was a product of her own choice. Had she not been Team Meteor and tried to cross the lake, she might’ve still been alive.”

“Yes, she made that choice, and died for it. She must’ve wanted something really badly, too.”

“What do you mean?”

Simon stood back up and placed the towel in his pocket.

“Humans are weakest when they’re promised a dream. Not any dream, though. A dream they should be well aware of that it can’t come true.”

He rested his hand on top of the clean tombstone.

“In my case, that was seeing my wife again. I don’t know what Tara’s dream was, but if she had none, she wouldn’t have joined Team Meteor. All of us fight as a team in order to bring a new world in which the impossibilities of this world become possibilities.”

“I doubt Team Meteor could accomplish that. You, Tara and all the other grunts were scammed. How could you fall for such an obvious trap?”

“Like I said, humans are weakest when they’re promised an impossible dream. Vanilla, you too have someone you’d pay any price to bring back, don’t you?”

Wolfie's face crossed my mind for a brief moment.

“Perhaps I do, but I wouldn’t believe anyone if they told me they could bring her back,” I said with confidence.

“You’d be surprised. I hope you’ll remember those words, if someone tries to take advantage of your weak point,” he said. “As for me, I also know what I will do: I’ll live the remainder of my life as an ex-Team Meteor member, in this world. This is goodbye for good, Vanilla.”

Simon passed by my side and left me standing next to Tara’s grave.

“I won’t be surprised,” I whispered to myself.

1vywPPr.png

I returned to the Grand Hall afterwards to carry on with the mission.

All of the people we needed were assembled. Victoria and Adrienn were talking to each other, Candy was snacking on chocolate, Arclight was on his phone and Ame was with the front desk until she saw me entering the Hall. She then called everyone to form a circle and told us the details of the mission.

“Does everyone know each other, or should we start with introductions?” Ame asked us.

“I think all of us knows each other, save perhaps for Arclight and Vanilla. Do you know each other?” Adrienn asked.

“I don’t recall him,” I said truthfully.

“That’s great to hear, really. It’s refreshing when I meet someone new and they don’t jump at my throat to get an autograph,” Arclight said, laughing. “You can call me Arc. Hope we can be good buddies in this mission, especially since you’ll be in my team.”

“Ok Arc, don’t run ahead with the plan. I’ll carry it from here,” said Ame. “First, let me fill everyone in on the basics so that we can all be on the same page.”

Ame talked about the process she and her team took to pinpoint the location of a Team Meteor base inside the city. They apparently received an anonymous tip about the base and that started some investigations that led to one conclusion.

“Devon?” asked Adrienn.

“Devon.”

“I’m not surprised. Even after other multiregional corporations like Sweets co. and Sylph co. generously donated for the restaurations, Devon refused to do that or even let anyone walk in freely in their building. I felt they were pretty shady since then.”

“Well, now it’s no longer an anonymous tip. I called Mr. Stone and he said that they had never had a branch here in Reborn.”

“Good. Let’s close down the building and burn it,” said Victoria, a little too energetically.

“Woah, calm down Victoria. You’re starting to sound like Julia,” Candy said. “We can’t just kill everyone inside.”

“Yes we can’t,” Ame agreed. “We need to capture them alive, or this terrorism will never cease.”

“I don’t want to leave any room for mishaps. If we aren’t careful, they might escape us. Even at this moment, they might be working on clearing up evidence to abandon their base.”

“I doubt that’s the case,” Ame said. “I’ve set up cameras to monitor the movement of people in and out of the building, and in the past week I’ve seen no change. If somehow the anonymous tip was leaked, they should’ve already vacated the premises.”

“Besides we definitely have one person in there that we’d like to capture alive,” Arclight added. “Why don’t you tell them about that, Ame?”

“Right. Team Meteor’s leader, Lin, is likely to be in there.”

Lin. Candy told me earlier that she’s in there. I’d only met her only once, when we were in her Tanzan Mountain base, but knew nothing more than that she stood over Solaris, as Eclipse had briefed us before dying to a chandelure’s flames.

“We need to capture her,” Ame continued. “However, I’ve been told by Saphira that we can’t take any chances with her. That’s why we need to go together and try to apprehend her 6 vs 1.”

“Surely an elite team including the sensei of Apophyll Academy, a gym leader, an ex-Champion and current Champion should do it,” Arclight said.

“And an ace trainer and a league challenger that's defeated more Team Meteor admins than all of us combined,” added Ame.

I wasn't aware of it until now because my tourist pamphlet only listed Gym leaders, but it turned out that Ame was the Reborn league champion. I wondered if we'd have a chance to fight together so that I could see what kind of pokemon she has, to give myself advantage on our future battle.

As for the plan, it was to separate into two groups of three and raid the building from its two exits. Ame and Adrienn would go in from the front entrance, to give the appearance of a visit to discuss donations, while Candy stood guarding the entrance in case civilians tried going into the building. Only if things became unmanageable inside, would Ame contact her to join in as backup. Meanwhile, Arclight, Victoria and I would go in from the basement side and join the rest of them in the upper floors. That way none of the enemy could escape us.

Ame gave a radio transceiver to Arclight and another one to Candy.

“Let’s get to work then, team.”

As we headed out of the Grand Hall, Candy approached me.

“It’s a bummer that I have to be the one guarding the main entrance,” she said. “Even though I’m a pokemon caretaker and breeder, I enjoy the rare times when I get to use my pokemon to relive old times.”

“Maybe you should’ve come with me to challenge the League when I first came to Reborn. Trust me, there hasn’t been a shortage of pokemon battles.”

“That’d defeat the purpose. If you eat too much chocolate, your tongue will become numb to its taste.”

She smiled and broke off a piece of chocolate from her bar and gave it to me.

VANILLA RATES: REBORN CHARACTERS

Spoiler
  • Victoria (+1): 7/10 She's doing her best to cope with a loss, and hasn't run away from her responsibilities, which is admirable
  • Simon(&Tara) (+1): 5/10 I didn't hate them to begin with, and now that Simon is not Team Meteor, he's just a dude plagued with misfortune
  • Ame (+1): 6/10 She's league champion and coordinator, and has been doing her job diligently
  • Arclight: 4/10 I don't have much of an opinion on him yet

It's Devon time. I'm excited how it'll turn out :3 Look forward to it hopefully in a not-so-distant future, maybe.

QUICK LINK TO NEXT EPISODE

• Like 6

Yay! I was literally wondering today while I was working when you were gonna update this. Haha. You know have me doubly excited for the upcoming mission. 😄 Nice episode as always!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J-Awesome_One said:

Yay! I was literally wondering today while I was working when you were gonna update this. Haha. You know have me doubly excited for the upcoming mission. 😄 Nice episode as always!

Makes me happy to know that Vanini occupies even a second of someone else's conscience xD I've been busy with other stories, projects and work, but I felt it was time for a new FEtR chapter haha

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Candy said:

Makes me happy to know that Vanini occupies even a second of someone else's conscience xD I've been busy with other stories, projects and work, but I felt it was time for a new FEtR chapter haha

Hold on! When you say other stories... O,O

2 hours ago, J-Awesome_One said:

Hold on! When you say other stories... O,O

Not my girl Violetta yet 😕 it's my Ace Attorney fic, which I started relatively recently but is closer to being finished than any of my other fics lol

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Candy said:

Makes me happy to know that Vanini occupies even a second of someone else's conscience xD

Given how developed your story is, it's probably happening more often than you think!

I'm quite worried about how badly Devon will mess everyone up (and hoping against hope the answer is: "not too much").   

Also who is Violetta?  

3 hours ago, Mindlack said:

Also who is Violetta?  

My Rejuv run protagonist, but I donut have enough brains to be playing Rejuv and writing a story on it so it's on a longass hiatus xD

7 hours ago, Candy said:

Not my girl Violetta yet 😕 it's my Ace Attorney fic, which I started relatively recently but is closer to being finished than any of my other fics lol

You got my hopes up! Dx Haha.

• Haha 1

It must have passed a long real life time and/or a long reborn time because I don't remember if Vanilla and Victoria (it's been so long since I played Reborn that I had to check Victoria's name) were on good terms, I remember they had a battle shortly before or after Kiki's death (when Vanilla was still insufferable).

Sudden thought, the appearance in the story of worse characters than Vanilla (Titania and Saphira) might have made her look more human than her initial self, or maybe it's just her character development, in any case you're doing a great job Candy.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Corso said:

It must have passed a long real life time and/or a long reborn time because I don't remember if Vanilla and Victoria (it's been so long since I played Reborn that I had to check Victoria's name) were on good terms, I remember they had a battle shortly before or after Kiki's death (when Vanilla was still insufferable).

Sudden thought, the appearance in the story of worse characters than Vanilla (Titania and Saphira) might have made her look more human than her initial self, or maybe it's just her character development, in any case you're doing a great job Candy.

I think the last time they saw each other was when Kiki died. Back then, they were on semi-bad terms because Vanini was coping with Pikachu's death and Victoria was like "oH yOu DoNt CaRe AbOuT Kiki" which clashed with Vanini's opinion that babysitting Kiki was a disservice to her, iirc. 

Now, Vanini's toned down character is supposed to be character development xD In the beginning she's enraged and her only goal is to get stronger so she can fite in her homeland, but as time passes, she makes meaningful connections with the Reborn peeps that makes her fite Team Meteor not only because she wants to get stronger but also to protect the peeps she cares about now. She's still the same blunt, opinionated, perhaps short-tempered girl as before, but as her initial bloodthirst quenched, she has had more room in her mind to empathize with others, which is what I kinda tried to show in this chapter with Victoria. 

Idk about Tania and Saphira. I think Vanini is somewhat similar to Saphira in that she fights for peeps she cares about like Saphira does for her sisters, but her scope is wider than just two people. I'd say they're all in the same level of "bad" in the sense that they don't hesitate to harm or kill those who threaten the safety of the people they care about. A couple of reasons I can think of that you might feel less inclined to hate Vanini is that you've seen all of her thought processes, her pains and recoveries, so you're less likely to label her as a coldblooded assassin like you might Tania and Saphira, and Vanini hasn't killed anyone since coming to Reborn (as Candy says, it's not necessary to kill when things are decided with a pokemon battle).

We must not forget that she hasn't won a fist fight in years now (the blind girl's mom mopped the floor with her and Victoria was clearly winning before they were stopped). To be honest I expected the skilled soldier to be able to overpower the housewife so good job again because that time you made me root for Vanilla.

7 hours ago, Candy said:

you're less likely to label her as a coldblooded assassin like you might Saphira

I haven't re-read all that you made Saphira do, but I don't remember anything that was like a cold-blooded murder.

I do remember an unambiguous full-blown assault launched against her home by terrorists who had already abducted her sister and are twice as many as there are battlers defending the house. Honestly, I feel that at this level we're mostly talking self-defence.

(Not to say that the needless Meteor deaths weren't sad, but I feel that calling Saphira a murderer for this is a bit too much.

Also, most of the blame lies with Sirius. Had he been a competent squad leader, he'd have made sure his subordinates could swim, and then given them safety vests anyway).

7 hours ago, Candy said:

Vanini hasn't killed anyone since coming to Reborn (as Candy says, it's not necessary to kill when things are decided with a pokemon battle).

Now I really want to see her go to Aevium. Who wants to bet on how many hours she'd hold before her first kill?

(I admit, that is being cheap)

10 hours ago, Corso said:

We must not forget that she hasn't won a fist fight in years now (the blind girl's mom mopped the floor with her and Victoria was clearly winning before they were stopped). To be honest I expected the skilled soldier to be able to overpower the housewife so good job again because that time you made me root for Vanilla.

I don't remember if I didn't write it in, but the housewife used to be a student in Apophyll Academy, and in my mind Apophyll Academy martial artists > thug who learned fighting from another thug that learned fighting from trial and error lol Vanini almost won in a 1-on-1 against Aladdin, though, had the peeps in Ametrine not butted in xD

9 hours ago, Mindlack said:

I haven't re-read all that you made Saphira do, but I don't remember anything that was like a cold-blooded murder.

I do remember an unambiguous full-blown assault launched against her home by terrorists who had already abducted her sister and are twice as many as there are battlers defending the house. Honestly, I feel that at this level we're mostly talking self-defence.

(Not to say that the needless Meteor deaths weren't sad, but I feel that calling Saphira a murderer for this is a bit too much.

Also, most of the blame lies with Sirius. Had he been a competent squad leader, he'd have made sure his subordinates could swim, and then given them safety vests anyway).

Now I really want to see her go to Aevium. Who wants to bet on how many hours she'd hold before her first kill?

(I admit, that is being cheap)

Yah I'm talking original game Tanzan arc. It can be taken as self-defense but she had zero mercy which might be taken as cold-blooded.

When the kids had been kidnapped in Yureyu building, protagonist and Cain didn't kill anyone unlike Saphira and Tania.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Candy said:

Yah I'm talking original game Tanzan arc. It can be taken as self-defense but she had zero mercy which might be taken as cold-blooded.

When the kids had been kidnapped in Yureyu building, protagonist and Cain didn't kill anyone unlike Saphira and Tania.

I beg to disagree with your comparison. Yureyu and WTC are, when you think of it, rather mirroring each other, while Tanzan Cove is different. 

In Yureyu/WTC, we are teamed with another character to reclaim people Team Meteor abducted.

In Yureyu, the Team Meteor members are antagonistic and callous, yet are defeated bloodlessly, while Team Meteor members "staffing" the WTC aren't like this at all, but many are stabbed to death.

In Yureyu, neither the MC, nor Cain, nor anyone else want blood to come out. It's even dubious whether they would be capable of it. Also, if Cain/MC started harming Meteors to get the children back, violence would escalate, the hostage children would get hurt (at best), and Sirius would win in the end, because he's unquestionably way more ruthless than anyone else there.

But Saphira is defending her home and family (not trying to abide by "common-sense morality") in Tanzan Cove, so (although I don't really like to admit it) what other option does she have? She's outnumbered, so her only option to take them down is sinking the boat. Stalling has no point because our faction is, in effect, trapped in the house. She could negotiate or plead, but that is, in effect, taking a risk with her family -- she would be trading increased odds against her family to retain the hope to keep her hands clean (remember, time works against her and her ability to be a threat, hence against her bargaining power). Would you trust someone willing to make that trade to protect you?

(PS: Despite the rather edgy talk, I'm speaking about story morality here. I probably couldn't apply it in real life, even in similarly unambiguous circumstances. Although I'm definitely glad I don't actually know.)

Edited by Mindlack

For example, she could have:

A) used her Dragonite (who can fly at supersonic speed according to the pokedex if we want to consider it realistic) and any other flying dragon she might have to take her family if not everyone in that house to safety

B) defeated Sirius and his level ~50 team in a pokemon battle to scare him and/or the other meteor grunts; I suppose she could have even defeated the entire meteor army singlehandedly if she had wanted

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'll grant you that I really didn't think of A). There are drawbacks though. Dragonite probably can't accelerate to supersonic speed on such short distances, needs several trips back and forth (and they don't even know where it's safe), and clearly can't fly even near supersonic speed without the wind/sonic bang horrifically mauling a human body (you know, like why you shouldn't stay outside in a hurricane, even if nothing fell on you, but at least three times worse).

Maybe the other flying dragons could help, but does Saphira have her full team on her?

B) seems to me like a losing proposition though. First, Sirius is in a boat and Saphira is in the air, so they'll have to find a (literal) common ground (which may, or may not be closer than the boat to the house). So added risk. Second, Sirius can seriously mess Saphira up without fighting (have the Seviper slither around, unnoticed, until it has sneaked behind her and... or Chandelure if you want to get more horrific), and has enough grunts and other Pokemon to keep her overwhelmed until it is too late. So in her value system, high risk, not high reward.

Also a note: the Belrose sisters' home burnt when they were young. That probably explains such a fierce attachment to it (and why they didn't think of fleeing it with the Dragonite).

Edited by Mindlack

She doesn't need to go that fast, they could probably fly back to the city like we always do.
The ground issue doesn't really matter in my opinion, we can fight with fire-type pokemon literally underwater. And well it is true that Sirius could do those things, but why didn't he do them to the main character then?

And well even the wild Whiscash swimming in the lake could have defeated Sirius and his grunts, I don't think it would have been impossible for her (what if the meteor grunts were actually killed by the Whiscash lol).

But all these considerations are beyond my point, what I wanted to say is that she had other options but she (as Titania did later) chose the "easy way" so that she could forget her opponents were human beings.

Must... stop... responding...

It's... becoming... so... irrelevant. 

Ugh. The impulse is too strong. Maybe next time I'll manage to restrain. 

I always thought that the underwater mechanic was a compromise between "realism" (whatever it might mean) and gameplay. Realistically, no non-aquatic Pokemon (or some that were specifically comfortable in water, like dolphins) should remain conscious after even, like, three turns underwater. Another hint about that is the behavior of moves like Fly and Dive (because the other Pokemon will naturally adjust their levels in the water precisely to get hit). Then again, trying to find some remotely consistent biology principles in Pokemon is probably a hopeless quest. 

But Sirius does fight disloyally -- iirc, you only escape his Chandelure (when Eclipse... doesn't) because Aya is watching out.  He has his Seviper bite Florinia in the "defeat Solaris" route when Team Meteor attacks Fiore Mansion. And he has the Abra teleport you to wherever when you attack their base in Tanzan Mountain. He doesn't at Mosswater (where he states he wanted to send a message but got bored by the group's slow progress), in Yureyu (he doesn't really care because he already has what he wanted from the children), in the Belrose home because he's seething with rage (and grief? how knows), the second time in Tanzan Mountain (because Lin is coming and we have to pretend to be a Meteor, which doesn't fool her), and in Agate, where iirc the order seems to delay us (and it looks like Lin would rather toy with us than have us killed).  

As you said, it's beside the point anyway. In two sentences, my point is that, although the loss of life is sad in each case, I feel that the situations of Titania and Saphira are deeply dissimilar, and that the latter is justified in employing lethal force. I believe that when you don't have the time to think of a perfect solution, you shouldn't be expected to put the life of your (terrorist) assailants before the well-being of your loved ones.