Meet the Gym Leaders!

Serenity

B3v34i4.png

Hello, and welcome to my Gym Leader Guide. I noticed that a guide like this doesn't exist, so in turn, I decided to create one for my own amusement. Here, you will find general information, viable counters, and teams for each Reborn gym leader. I have not included any information directly linked to the story, so do not be afraid to click on those spoilers! The gym leader's have been listed in the order in which you battle them. Each gym leader's difficulty is very dependent on your team, moveset and levels, so keep that in mind. Also, for your viewing pleasure, I have included sprites for each Gym Leader and their corresponding teams. I hope you find this guide to be somewhat useful in your in-game endeavors.

Last updated: January 1st 2014

- Will finish Shelly, Shade, Kiki and Aya in the near future.

- Should I include Cal?

- Leave a comment and tell me what you think about this guide.

Julia - Explosive 4.jpg

charjulia.pngPotion_Sprite.png - Uses Potions

Overview

Julia is the first gym leader you will face on your journey. She specializes in electric types. Julia's gym puzzle is relatively easy. After defeating each trainer, there will be a Voltorb waiting at the end that will assist you in blowing up the doors. If you find your party low on HP, you can make a stop at the local Pokemon Centre just left of the gym. Common candies are not yet obtainable, so make sure to keep an eye on your Pokemon's levels as well and make sure they don't surpass level 20 before facing Julia.

Her team consists of many quick Pokemon that will likely be able to outspeed your own. If you find yourself having trouble because of this disadvantage, you might need to consider grinding a few more levels. Julia will always lead off with her Emolga, but do not let this little critter fool you as it can pack quite a punch. Its charge beam can turn Emolga into a fearsome sight, if it manages to get a special attack boost. Acrobatics is a very strong move against fighting types, so it is mandatory to have a suitable counter. Both her Voltorbs have access to explosion, so be sure to pack a Pokemon that can wall it, and sonic boom which is a decent move early in the game as it always deals a set 20 damage. Be sure to avoid using phsyical moves to KO these voltorb, reason being, it will hurt your Pokemon with the aftermath affect. Electrode is quite bulky, and can prove to be a nuinsance, especially when it constantly spams rollout. Chinchou is an effective counter against fire and ground types alike, as it does have the water gun. Be sure to pack plenty of potions if it's your first time, and switch party members out when needed.

After defeating Julia, you will receive TM57 Charge Beam, as well as the Volt Badge which makes all Pokemon up to level 25 obey you.

Team Lineup

587.gif- Emolga lvl. 13 4.jpg10.jpg

Notable Moves - Charge Beam, Charge, Quick Attack, Acrobatics

100.gif- Voltobrb lvl. 13 4.jpg

100.gif - Voltobrb lvl. 13 4.jpg

Notable Moves- Sonic Boom

522.gif- Blitzle lvl. 15 4.jpg

101.gif - Electrode lvl. 16 4.jpg

170.gif - Chinchou lvl. 15 4.jpg3.jpg

Florina - Apathetic 5.jpg

charflorinia.pngSuper_Potion_Sprite.png - Uses Super Potions

Overview

Florina is the second gym leader you will encounter, and utilizes bulky grass type Pokemon. Her gym requires a bit more knowledge to complete, however the answers will be listed below. The trainer battles themselves are quite self-explanatory. There are 8 panels in the gym that have questions you must solve in order to advance to the final room. They are as follows.

Q: What level does Starmie learn rapid spin A: 0

Q: What number is Huntail in the National Dex? A: 367

Q: Of all the moves that will never miss, how many can Togekiss learn? A: 5

Q: What is Corsola's base stat total? A: 380

Q: How many Pokemon have a bast stat total of 305? A: 13

Q: At what level does a Cubchoo evolve? A: 37

Q: How many Pokemon can learn the move Lava Plume? A: 15

Q: What is the highest speed a Ninjask can achieve without boosts? A: 460

Florinia's team can devastate your Pokemon if you let her. Keep in mind that the majority of her Pokemon have access to grass knot. You will indefinitely need at least one fire type Pokemon accompanying you, unless you don't want that extra perk. A good choice at this point in the game is Magby, which can be obtained when the weather is rainy. Florinia will always lead off with her Carnivine, which may or may not be a threat depending on your team composition. Lead off with an appropriate counter, preferably fire type. From my experience, Foongus is of minimal threat, however its faint attack can surprise psychic users, so be wary. Using a fire type move will most likely result in a clean 2-hit KO. The rumor's of Cradily are unfortunately true. This Pokemon is a wall like no other you've encountered in-game so far. Possibly the biggest threat on Florina's team, this monstrosity carries a moveset that is truly worthy of crushing your team. Its curse will render most physical attackers useless. The move smack down will counter your fire types. Recover will have you rage-quitting. Your best bet is using a Scraggy. Brick break comes in very handy early on when Cradily doesn't have any boosts. Breloom is another big threat, carrying the toxic orb, and having access to mach punch. Again, Breloom can be countered with a decent fire type. Cacnea and Grotle are both immune to sandstorm, and that sandstorm damage will stack up on your Pokemon. Be sure to stock up on potions.

Upon defeating Florinia, you will receive TM86 Grass Knot, as well as the Canopy Badge which makes all Pokemon up to level 35 obey you.

Team Lineup

455.gif- Carnivine lvl. 23 5.jpg

590.gif- Foongus lvl. 24 5.jpg8.jpg

346.gif- Cradily lvl. 25 5.jpg13.jpg

Notable Moves - Curse, Sandstorm, Smack Down, Recover

286.gif - Breloom lvl. 24 (Toxic Orb) 5.jpg7.jpg

Notable Moves - Mach Punch

331.gif- Cacnea lvl. 23 5.jpg

388.gif- Grotle lvl. 24 5.jpg9.jpg

Strong Counters

499.gif391.gif256.gif156.gif005.gif

Pignite| Monferno| Combusken| Quilava| Charmeleon|

The fire type starters will prove to be more than useful in your fight with Florina. Unfortunately, out of the 5, some of these starters are stuck with ember during their mid evolutions. Ember is still a viable STAB fire attack that can be used in abundance. They can be used to wall grass type moves, and dish out plenty of damage themselves.

240.gif

Magby

Didn't pick a fire type starter? Fear not, for Magby is here! Magby is an exceptional counter to Florina's team, and is able to learn Flame Burst, a base 70 fire type move at level 22. Flame burst can 2 hit many Pokemon on Florina's team, excluding Cradily. Use this little guy to your advantage!

109.gif

Koffing

Koffing is another solid pick for facing Florina. Its Sludge will 2 hit most of the Pokemon on her team, excluding Cradily and Foongus. - information from helion

Corey - Menacing 8.jpg

charcorey.pngSuper_Potion_Sprite.png - Uses Super Potions

Overview

Corey is the third gym leader you will face on your journey, and utilizes in poison types. Corey's gym yields a very basic puzzle. After entering, push the buttons on the panels until all the tubes become red. It may take several tries, but no more than 2 minutes. This will unlock a door at the back of the room, leading you to Corey himself.

Corey uses solid poison Pokemon to pull off strong combos both physical and special attack wise. Corey will always start off with Trubbish. While it may not look it, Trubbish is a very good lead, having access to toxic spikes and such. If it manages to get two layers of toxic spikes, it may seriously cripple your team. Keep a poison type Pokemon handy at all times to absorb the toxic spikes when the opportunity arises. Croagunk is a hard counter against steel types, a good counter in return is Kirlia. Skuntank on the other hand is bulky, and completely resists poisons natural enemy, Psychic, as it does have dual typings, Poison and Dark. Be wary of its acid spray, a move that will lower your special defense sharply. This, combo'ed with Haunter's high special attack can result in heavy damage. Make sure to switch out if you get acid sprayed. Grimer is probably the least threatening Pokemon on Corey's team, but still has the ability to dish out solid damage. Finally, there's Crobat. The man at the gate warned you about this terrifying threat, and it's a warning you should heed. Carrying nasty plot, it can turn itself into a viable sweeper, capable of tearing through teams in an instant. Venoshock and Air Cutter are both strong STAB moves, so keep that in mind. It's not fragile, but is still very susceptible to electric moves. Paralyzing or putting it to sleep can make your job a lot easier.

568.gif - Trubbish lvl. 28 8.jpg

Notable Moves - Toxic Spikes

453.gif- Croagunk lvl. 28 8.jpg7.jpg

435.gif- Skuntank lvl. 29 8.jpg16.jpg

093.gif- Haunter lvl. 29 8.jpg14.jpg

088.gif - Grimer lvl. 28 8.jpg

169.gif- Crobat lvl. 30 8.jpg10.jpg

Notable Moves - Venoshock, Nasty Plot, Air Cutter, Roost

Strong Counters

259.gif

Marshtomp

Marshtomp is a great choice for this gym, so if you chose Mudkip, give yourself a pat on the back. Its mud bomb can inflict a lot of damage on potential threats, and it can wall poison type attacks as well. Overall, Marshtomp is a big a help, and can be switched in to take poison attacks.

281.gif

Kirlia

Kirlia is a very hard counter to Croagunk. A single confusion should result in a clean one hit KO. It is also useful for taking out Grimer and Trubbish.

309.gif

Electrike

This Pokemon can cripple Corey's Crobat by using thunder wave and charge beam. Thunder wave provides enough utility for your other Pokemon to outspeed it. Only use Electrike if you feel as though you can't beat Crobat.

Shelly - Timid 12.jpg

charshelly.pngHyper_Potion_Sprite.png - Uses Hyper Potions

Overview

Team Lineup

557.gif- Dwebble lvl. 32 12.jpg13.jpg

469.gif - Yanmega aka Heather lvl. 33 12.jpg10.jpg

123f.gif- Scyther lvl. 31 12.jpg10.jpg

Notable Moves - Quick Attack, Wing Attack, Fury Cutter (Technician)

284.gif - Masquerain lvl. 32 12.jpg3.jpg

413-trash.gif- Wormadam (Steel) lvl. 32 12.jpg17.jpg

313.gif- Volbeat aka Bugsy lvl. 35 12.jpg10.jpg

Strong Counters

Edited by Serenity

Nice job so far! ^_^ So far the guide looks well written and neat though i do feel like you left out some strategies and counters, i'm pretty sure trubbish and gyrados are checks to Florina's cradily and arbok and donphan are useful vs Corey (not sure on this one, based on what i heard on the forums). But overall good guide so far and yeah i think you should include Cal even though he is an ex gym leader.

It looks great. Your counters look really good. For Shelly and Kiki, I'd make sure to put Crobat with Acrobatics, I think I may have hade a Crobat to battle Florina too, but it might have been a golbat. Either way they both can be string counters, especially with acrobatics.

SPOILERS UP TO THE BYXBYSION WASTELAND
With that out of the way..
Technically speaking, neither Cal nor Kiki are gym leaders. Cal left his position and Kiki is, well... incapacitated.
Past that, I'm in the dark. Aya is pushing me against the wall, so I can't speak further than Aya.

Anyway, this guide is brilliant. Very well made.