Defensive and Healing fields?

Outside Indoorsman

I was thinking about this yesterday, and it sort of dawned on me how few fields have a true "defensive" theme to them, instead of boosting just pure offense for the specific type(s) that field favors. And of the ones that do, they really stuck out to me a lot as being more difficult or interesting than the usual battles. For instance...

The Mirror Arena Serra uses for both evasion and accuracy boosts, as well as the handicap that physical moves hurt their user if they miss.

The Desert Field used by the Ground Gym Leader in Pokemon Rejuvenation.

The Grassy Field, while not as prevalent as the others, gives all grounded pokemon a Leftovers like healing effect, and weakens some ground moves and water moves.

The Wasteland makes using AOE Ground moves a lot less effective.

The Misty Field, which gives a 50% boost in Special Defense to fairy types.

And the Flower Garden Field, when we finally get to Laura, is going to be an utter nightmare if it's fully set up to Stage 5 (in which case, you're probably doomed).

Just an observation, what do you think?

I also think that the offensive boosts totally outweigh the defensive ones, and some fields are just crazy, like Psychic Terrain or Big Top Arena.

When I first played Rejuvenation I planned on making a team based on the defensive boosts of the Misty terrain since it has so many, but that didn't work well, mostly because those benefits are seperate and don't stack.  Very often the opponents still managed to tear through my defenses.

Other fields I think are quite interesting:

- The Fairy Tale field has lots of defense boosts activated by abilities or moves.

- Poison based fields can easily be used for poison stall tactics. especially Murkwater Surface which can deal lots of passive damage.

- Underwater halves damage for all physical attacks except Water.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And I got thinking on this, so... well, here we go.

Mysterious Fog Field

Strengthens Dark attacks by x1.2 and Ghost attacks by x1.3

Lowers accuracy for Special and ranged Physical attacks by 67%. If a Pokemon with Illuminate or Dazzling is on the field, this effect is suppressed.

Keen Eye pokemon do not have the accuracy drop applied to them.

Double Team’s effect is doubled.

Disable can now be used twice.

Anticipation and Forewarn make the pokemon holding them incapable of being hit by the move they have warning about.

Supersonic also increases Accuracy by one stage when used.

Dazzling Gleam deals x1.5 damage, and also reduces the Accuracy of all pokemon on the field by one stage.

Cursed Body now has a 100% activation chance if the opponent isn’t disabled and reduces damage taken from moves by x0.75

Perish Body doubles Defense and reduces the time before fainting to a single turn.

Shadow Shield prevents all damage from being dealt on the first hit once per battle (after the first hit, further uses of Shadow Shield activate normally).

Disguise now works at all times against Special moves.

Prankster now works on Dark-type pokemon.

Pokemon with the ability Mummy sharply lower the speed of any pokemon who hit them.

The ability Wandering Spirit removes weaknesses to the Ghost type and Dark type for any pokemon who has it.

Nature Power becomes Shadow Force.

Magical Seed changes user’s type to Ghost and ability to Wandering Spirit.

Can be created by using Night Daze, Shadow Force, Phantom Force, or Dark Void on the Corrosive Mist Field or the Misty Terrain, or by sending in a pokemon with Dark Aura on the same terrains.

Turns into the Misty Terrain if a Pokemon with Fairy Aura is sent in.

Lightless Cave Field

“Can’t see a thing…”

Dark Type attacks are strengthened by x1.1 and always hit.

Rock-type attacks are strengthened by x1.25.

Keen Eye is suppressed.

Sound Moves damage all pokemon and cannot be dodged.

All non-Dark attacks that don’t affect the entire field have their hit chance reduced by 50%. If a Pokemon with Illuminate or Dazzling is on the field, this effect is suppressed.

Supersonic increases accuracy by one stage when used.

Flash affects all pokemon and has its effect doubled.

Infiltrator restores accuracy to normal for Physical attacks.

The Telepathy ability restores accuracy to normal for Special attacks.

Inner Focus restores accuracy to normal for all attacks.

Anticipation and Forewarn make the pokemon holding them incapable of being hit by the move they have warning about.

Intimidate does not activate.

Nature Power becomes Night Daze.

Telluric Seed increases Speed stat and Accuracy stat by one each.

Can be created by sending in a Pokemon with Dark Aura on a Dark Crystal Cave or Crystal Cave field, or using Night Daze or Dark Void on a Cave or Dark Crystal Cave field.

Turns into a Dark Crystal Cave field when Flash is used, and reduces the accuracy of all pokemon on the field by four stages.

Combat Arena/Fighting Dojo

“Everyone, you are welcome!”

Attack and Defense stats are treated as the same stat, now referred to as the “PHYSICAL” stat. The higher stat, whether Attack or Defense, is now used for the Physical stat.

All Punch and Kick moves, as well as Seismic Toss, Cross Chop, Karate Chop, Storm Throw, Force Palm, Flying Press, Submission, and Vital Throw are strengthened by x1.2.

Focus Punch’s “flinch if hit” side effect is removed. Priority remains the same.

Rage locks the user into the move and raises Attack every turn.

Psychic moves deal Normal damage instead.

All Punches, Kicks, Fighting, and Normal type moves act as if Foresight was applied to them.

Detect can be used twice in a row before failing (it will fail without fail on the third attempt).

Anger Point only raises Attack by one stage but activates whenever a hit lands.

Competitive raises Special Attack by one stage when entering the battlefield.

Defiant raises Attack by one stage when entering the battlefield.

RKS System becomes Fighting type.

No Guard affects all pokemon on the field.

Iron Fist raises the damage of all physical moves by x1.2

Nature Power becomes Focus Punch.

Vital Spirit prevents the holder from being affected by any status (statuses can be placed on them, but the pokemon acts as if there is no effect).

Synthetic Seed applies Mat Block. Recycle cannot recover the Seed.

Field turns into the Glitch Field if Conversion2 is used.

Can be created on the Glitch Field if Conversion is used.

Hive Field

"Everything is buzzing..."

Swarm is active at all times. Pokemon with Swarm gain the effects of Parental Bond on all Bug-type moves.

First Impression can be used at all times.

Tail Glow raises both Attack and Special Attack sharply.

Sticky Web sharply lowers speed.

String Shot lowers speed drastically.

Defend Order raises Special Defense and Defense by two each.

Heal Order and Pollen Puff fully heal the target.

Pokemon with Honey Gather heal 1/8 of their health and their allies’ health every turn.

Shield Dust raises Special Defense upon entering the battlefield.

Compound Eyes raises Accuracy upon entering the battlefield.

Tinted Lens ensures all moves are either of normal effectiveness x1.1 (x1.1 minimum base power damage to the enemy) or greater.

Pokemon who use Rock, Fire, and Flying moves or AOE moves that hit all pokemon get hit four times by Twinneedle, acting as if it was used by a Beedrill. This effect cannot be avoided or dodged, and applies to both teams. If Explosion or Self-Destruct is used, the effect of String Shot is applied instead.

Elemental Seed applies Sticky Web to the enemy team, Protect to the user, and makes the Seed pokemon have to recharge.

Field cannot be created or destroyed.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:02 PM, Outside Indoorsman said:

Just an observation, what do you think?

Pokemon at its core is a heavily offensively focused game, its reflected in how the stats work, how damage is calculated, even looking at the move variety points to it. Attacking is in general a better idea than trying to tank. Yes there are tanks, no argument there, but each of them has to serve far more niche roles than heavily offensively oriented Pokemon. The last mostly defensive generation of Pokemon we've seen was Gen. II, and that was a vast number of mechanical changes ago.

Its pretty natural that as such the fields would mostly be offensively oriented.

And just as a note on gameplay, when you do get into a stall vs stall battle in Pokemon its a freaking nightmare. Toxapex vs Toxapex (which has happened to me once) is basically the single worst experience I had in Pokemon. For the four turns until I just gave up and moved on.

True enough. But at the same time, I find myself thinking of fighting Adrienn on the Misty Terrain and Ryland in the Desert in Rejuvenation - and those were really fun battles, at least with hindsight. Hard, but fun. I... guess I wanted fields that just emphasized overwhelming firepower less? Like with the battles against Amaria and Charlotte and Hardy - basically, if you can somehow live through their attacks, it's not too hard, but they hit harder than anything.