Typhlosion vs Arcanine

Sundae Night

I just got to 7th street and I have enough for the Cyndaquill, my current fire type is Arcanine and I am wondering which is better for my team

Arcanine

Level 60

Moves

Fire Fang

Flare Blitz

Thunder Fang

Extreme Speed

Rest of Team:

Decidueye

Level 60

Moves

Sucker Punch

Leaf Blade

Brave Bird

Spirit Shackle

Lanturn

Level 60

Moves

Hydro Pump

Brine

Discharge

Stockpile

Espeon

Level 60

Moves

Morning Sun

Swift

Psychic

Dazzling Gleam

Glaceon

Level 60

Moves

Mirror Coat

Blizzard

Icy WInd

Hail

Vivillon

Level 60

Moves

Bug Buzz

Hurricane

Sleep Powder

Powder

Typhlosion is probably better it has access to a bigger movepool and comes with egg moves from the vendor. The only reason you should keep arcanine is as a revenge killer with extreme speed but with a sucker punch decidue It's not really necessary. Typhlosion is faster and hits harder than arcanine because the moves it can learn have a higher base power than your current arcanine's, but typhlosion is a little less bulky than arcanine. On the other hand arcanine's higher BST might seem better but I'd give the slot to Typhlosion overall. If you do choose typhlosion try an eruption for when typhlosion is at higher health flamethrower for more consistant damage sunny day to boost your fire moves power and solar beam to take care of water types. Solar beam takes 1 turn to charge in harsh sunlight.

Edited by Display name

They're not at all comparable, so there isn't really a clear way to say one's better than the other? It depends, do you want an incredible doubles 'mon with worth as a bulky attacker in singles, or do you want a devastating sweeper that tears bulky teams apart but struggles with poor type matchups due to Eruption being its only realistic gimmick? Personally I'd lean towards Typhlosion here because your Arcanine is lacking both Close Combat and Morning Sun (Morning Sun is essential for bulkier EV spreads while Close Combat is just a really good coverage move for Rock types and bulky Normals) and (without mods) you can't relearn those, you'd need to breed a new one. Typhlosion on the other hand just needs Eruption, Flamethrower and a favorable Hidden Power type (Grass, Ground, Water or Electric) and you're good to go.

(of course you can always keep both but then you need to maintain a rotation)

Arcanine is more versatile and especially good for Doubles. Eruption hits really hard, but Typhlosion doesn't have anything else going for it. I think it's just overrated in Reborn due to a certain fight you have yet to reach.

2 hours ago, Seel The Deal said:

They're not at all comparable, so there isn't really a clear way to say one's better than the other?

This. Usually they aren't even used in the same way. Even if you were to use Arcanine offensively, you'd probably use it physically and Typhlosion specially, though Arcanine can be a mixed attacker.

But overall I'd prefer Arcanine since Typhlosion's Speed and SpAtt are just a tiny bit higher, not significantly, while Arcanine is much bulkier and more versatile in both defense and offense.