Quick question. Will deleting all OG pokemon cause errors?

chrezt

Im making my own pokemon game, with my own "Pokemons".

I want to remove all the OGs and insert my own only.

But my essential/coding skills are scarce, and i dont want to do alot of work, just for the game to crash.

So just want to know if i can remove the PBS pokemon files, with the game not going down because of something deeper referring to those files? 

So a game containing only Fakemons? There's already a bunch of those around so it's definitely possible.

I don't know anything about how to produce a fangame but you could always just go check how one of the existing ones handled it. Pokémon Sage is the first that comes to mind right now but there's others out there.

10 hours ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

So a game containing only Fakemons? There's already a bunch of those around so it's definitely possible.

I don't know anything about how to produce a fangame but you could always just go check how one of the existing ones handled it. Pokémon Sage is the first that comes to mind right now but there's others out there.

Not exactly unaware if its possible. Just dont know if the references within the base coding will unintentionally be called, and be affected by the PBS files missing, causing crashes.

It will take some work to re-position all files, and just want to be informed about whether it will work, so its not a waste of time. And im not daring enough to remove every specific OG reference within the coding.

Hoped someone with a bit more knowledge of essentials, could verify whether it would be safe to do the thing im intending.

First of all, If you are not sure if something will work, you can save a copy of it and then make the changes you want. If something goes wrong, you can always return to your original file!

I am currently working on a only-fakemon game and I have some experience with this kind of stuff. So if the question is whether you can remove all the pokemon from your pbs file pokemon.txt, the answer is yes, but you need to check some other stuff out as well. You have to remove all references of the battlers you removed from everywhere else. For example, the encounters.txt, the trainers.txt, btpokemon.txt, tm.txt (I think these are all the files that need a pokemon to exist).

But I wouldn't recommend to do so just yet. Being able to see how the files are structured, will help you make your pokemon and trainers easier. What I do in my game is create the new pokemon under the original ones and test them to see if they work properly. When I reach to a point where I don't need the others anymore, I will delete them.

If you are afraid to delete anything, there is another route you can go. Define a new pokedex and have only your pokemon appear there.

Whichever route you wish to follow, it will work. Even if you decide to delete all the older pokemon and an error pops, the compiler will tell you where the error occurs. So you don't have to worry that much about it.

Hope this helps you

4 minutes ago, groniack said:

First of all, If you are not sure if something will work, you can save a copy of it and then make the changes you want. If something goes wrong, you can always return to your original file!

I am currently working on a only-fakemon game and I have some experience with this kind of stuff. So if the question is whether you can remove all the pokemon from your pbs file pokemon.txt, the answer is yes, but you need to check some other stuff out as well. You have to remove all references of the battlers you removed from everywhere else. For example, the encounters.txt, the trainers.txt, btpokemon.txt, tm.txt (I think these are all the files that need a pokemon to exist).

But I wouldn't recommend to do so just yet. Being able to see how the files are structured, will help you make your pokemon and trainers easier. What I do in my game is create the new pokemon under the original ones and test them to see if they work properly. When I reach to a point where I don't need the others anymore, I will delete them.

If you are afraid to delete anything, there is another route you can go. Define a new pokedex and have only your pokemon appear there.

Whichever route you wish to follow, it will work. Even if you decide to delete all the older pokemon and an error pops, the compiler will tell you where the error occurs. So you don't have to worry that much about it.

Hope this helps you

Didnt think of defining a new pokedex, which might be the way to go.

Im gonna take a look at it. Thx for the help.

• Like 1