Keta's suffering

kithas

I was going through Rejuvenation's themes a bit, bc things be like that sometimes, and realized there's still a thing that bugs me. I know there are a lot of mysteries in this game, things yet to be revealed, but in 14 episodes or game plus a small backstory episode I still can't fathom why Keta attracts so much suffering and hate from the bad guys in this story. 

First when going through Sheridan we know about his dealings with Team Xen and their Shadow pokemon factory, which I get why do they need the place. But then Rift Volcanion happen and we learn Nastasia Hates Keta so much he's determined to commit genocide in a very painful way to a lot of innocent people just because she hates Keta and that he can't do anything but trade the life of Aelita for allowing it to happen. 

Then we get to Blacksteeple and we get the same justification for why Neved wants to torture Aelita. Not because she was Vivian in reincarnation, but because she was Keta's daughter. He hates him so much for... Reasons. 

And then we get to WLL, and learn the dark secrets of Kenneth's backstory, who is that... He went on and helped some people, he married Taelia and made Sheridan a place to live, all while the time travelers (specially Freya) made their best efforts to make his life a trauma conga line. 

The burning of the place his daughter was supposed to ve visiting, the fire on Gearen that was aimed at his friends, Tesla and Venam's parents, all the things that went down with Taelia's fate... 

I'll admit I didn't play the "best" ending of WLL but still can't find the reason why every bad guy seems to want to make their personal goal to make Keta's life a living hell. Not directed at Taelia (which I would have understood because Vivian) but going even over her death just to spite the guy.

And for what I know he didn't do anything to anger them so much. He wasn't a famous hero who antagonize the bad guys, he didn't get between their plans (maybe he did and we are still to learn about it?) or didn't even betray them. He is not even in an important position, like Jenner or Tesla. 

So, is there something I am not getting? I am getting it wrong in some way? Is this supposed to be still an enigma understood later in the game? (even though we already got Keta's dedicated backstory and it really doesn't explain the underlying problem).

This issue is still one of the biggest things that bug me from Rejuvenation's plot 🤔 and if someone could shed a light on it  I would be grateful. 

• Like 1

People don't need a particular reason, in order to turn others' lives into a living hell... Few of them do so, becase "misunderstandings" or wrong turns in (code of) conduct... Others, because they perceive the recipient of their (unjustified) hatred, as a (potential) "threat", or merely their own, self-proclaimed "target", ideological and whatnot. Besides, Keta had been an outsider to team Xen and outsiders regularly inspire the ire (and distrust) of core members; not only in fictional teams, of course...

Everything around him had been a trap, that 's why. But his fate was fair/just, because he had a chance to escape it... He theoritically could choose to stay with the blonde waitress. Which she genuinely liked him from the very start. Never stray off Gearen. Not having f_cked up that job opportunity. Lots of fouls, in this player 's unlife, you see, or rather, misfires... Miscalculations. Errors.

I... Lived something very similar... Out there. Kenneth 's mistake! You have to see what actually happens, around you. Read the small letters and between the lines. Notice the minor details, the dubious things. There is always a sense of danger, a sixth sense. He chose to ignore it and pursue the wrong person, while his life 's purpose/meaning/destination laid right next to him. The cheerful, innocent, clumsy girl... He bypassed her, just like that. One way ticket, to a lifetime of torment and regret, that one and no mistake. Don't be like Kenneth. Don't... Be like me.

I would understand if there was at least a perceived insult to Team Xen, or just jerkness (as Geara did to everyone) but I don't get why he deserved manipulation through his whole adulthood from before knowing anything about Team Xen. Why was he so important to them? 

Because he was "different". Because he was "kind". People hate and fear different people, especially whenever "teams" are involved. People cannot stand kind individuals, especially where and when they themselves are vile, unjust, hypocrites, or merely doing whatever the hell they please/want, just because they can.

In my case, which also had a long time period of manipulation and backstage handling, it was "to teach me a lesson". 

I was really bugged by that, too, so I watched on Youtube a video of the true ending, which... explains things a little. Not fully, because it would spoil the big Rejuv reveal (which seems overdue by about dozen episodes 🙂), but it explains something. 

I don't really buy Kenneth's explanation. Being different and kind does draw bullies to you (I am very sorry to hear your story, Kenneth [the user, not the Rejuv character] -- if I'm not already mixing up the "in-character" and "from the person behind the keyboard" parts). 

Was Kenneth kind? Yes. Was it his undoing? Not really. 

I don't recall enough of the game to remember what Deagan (that was his name, right?) was like. But there isn't a need to assume malice from him to explain his hostility towards Kenneth. From his point of view, his brother was scorning him, leaving him with only barely a word for over a decade to go to someplace gone to hell. That's not even taking into account their lives before Kenneth's departure. Was he thinking, or did he have reason to believe, that Kenneth was neglecting him to pursue his own desires? 

I'm not saying that Kenneth was a bad person on this one. Just that brother relations are complicated, and of course that events and actions can be interpreted very differently by both sides. I, for example, used to believe myself kind and my brother hell bent on annoying me. Until it was pointed to me that I was mostly a shadow brother -- as in, invisible. I still am quite the invisible man but I'm aware of it and working on it. 

If I recall correctly, Kenneth's undoing wasn't his fault, and his fate wasn't fair. The "things" that got him (I deny them the word "people" because honestly they're beyond disgusting) were utterly out of his league. Who would have thought that a vision that one saw in really ancient ruins, that came true, that rang true, could have been a complete forgery, a memory forgery of all things? Who would even consider such a thought (apart from, y'know, the RPG/SF&F crowd that probably seen every trick in the book and then some)? How could young, unexperienced, mostly romantic (his thoughts about young Tesla notwithstanding) Kenneth, resist it? 

The red-haired thing said, in the true ending, that several forces had been at work, working independently towards the same goal: unlock Amethyst Grotto and the power within. It said that now that the grotto was open, its power was up for grabs. It said that Kenneth should have known better, but that his demise hadn't been personal. That his role had been necessary in the plan, and that it was all there was to it. 

But that's not all of the screwing-over, though. The rest wasn't even malice, that red-haired ****** just needed him gone now that he had outlived his usefulness. And that's not touching on the other party's role, which sounds approximately as wholesome. 

In a nutshell, he was a puppet.