Do I have to specialize EV's and max IV's to beat this game?

Lyefyre

So I've recently beaten EP 18 of Reborn and gave Rejuvenation (Normal Mode) a try. Currently a little stuck at the second gym leader.

Despite the field not being inherently to his advantage, he still one-shots my pokémon like they were nothing. I mean, I'm used to the one-shotting through Reborn, but there it didn't happen so often until lategame, running a tank-focused strategy was viable.

And here, i'm kind of lost. While my current team doesn't have a true tank it still doesn't make sense for my lvl 25 shuppet to be a oneshot from a lvl 22 scraggy's feint attack, unless the gym leaders already go into full competitive mode.

So I'm curious: Do the gym leaders max out IV's and have perfect EV's and nature already? I'm nowhere at a point where I would think about ev training yet.

You don’t need to, but it would help to at least nature and EV train. There’s an EV training facility thing in Gearen that you can spend Achievements on to rapidly train. IIRC, Gym Leaders do have Max EVs and IVs. 

Also, keep in mind that that you’re using a ghost type against a STAB, super-effective attack. You’re going to take a significant amount of damage no matter what you do. My advice for fighting Keta is to go to Route 2 and catch a fairy type.

I would say perfect ivs are not nessesary(but of course they help) and while ev training would help you can still get through without.I would say past the 4th badge is where you would want to make it systematic,.For keta you could also train a cherim since he learns at 25 petal dance which is field boosted and hit hard

Ok, 2 other people already replied but i kinda just want to say this.

Think of EV training like this, you are scheduled to have a fight with someone who has know karate or kung fu or any other way of fighting, but you have time to prepare and learn a fighting style yourself.

Taking the the time to learn it would help increase your chances of winning, but even without it you might still be able to get the jump with the right strategy, but if you do both the training and the strategy your chances of winning go up by a lot.

Since this is pokemon, just replace learning a fighting style with EV training, it helps and can help like a hole lot, but it's not needed, especially if you are just on normal mode.

If you were playing on intense mode i would definitively say to EV train if you can, on normal you could probably get away with not.

If you decide do to EV train and have extra AP to use, you can get cards from the AP shop to unlock EV training rooms in the lab at Gearen which help make EV training REAL fast.

Hope this made sense and i hope you enjoy the game.