Some musing about Melia's character.

Magus543

Melia is quite a fascinating character to me personally, and a base breaking character for the rest of the Rejuv fanbase. Some like her, others call her a Mary Sue and complain about her hogging the spotlight. I'd like to start some discussion, and an analysis on her character and her development. 

As we know, Melia has quite a bit of fanfiction cliches, including having super special awesome god-like powers, most people who she meets has a crush on her ( Ren, Venam, Kanon, even that Blakeory jerk in GDC.), super mysterious backstory, and the villains wanting to steal her powers. Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing in of itself, Rejuvenation is fanfiction is ultimately, and the writer did start this as a teenager i hear,( i think? Feel free to correct me.) and it ultimately boils down to execution. As an amateur writer, i can see that the devs prefer writing her and her story over the PCs(IE our self inserts) and the reason is simple, she can talk and interact with characters and the plot, while the PC's personality is up the player, thus it's easier to get attached to her as the writer, who has her character and backstory all laid out in his head.  Rejuv has this juggling act of balancing both Melia and the PC as main characters, and it's not an easy position, do you focus more on the character you created and can continue to craft, or do you work with the self-insert to keep the fanbase placated and invested in the game? Yeah. 

But back on Melia's fanfic cliches, i'm off the opinion as while Melia can be OP and her development is unfocused, she can be executed well. For one, she's certainly not in Mary Sue territory, and she is ultimately a sympathetic character who is capable of bouncing off characters like Venam and Erin quite well for instance.  I'd like to draw comparisons between Melia, and one of gaming's most popular characters, Yuna from FF X. They are similar characters, nice girl with mysterious powers who have to grow up into leaders and master that power. However what makes Yuna so good, is that for one, we have a better understanding of what her end goal is, lead a pilgrimage and defeat Sin, which will get her killed in the process. With Melia, as a consequence of the mystery box esque story telling, we have an unclear idea of where her character and development is supposed to go. Maybe become a wise leader and accept her role as Arceus? Be better at fighting evil? That's what i think Spacia and Tiempa are representing in her story.   And i personally have a little confusion as to what her big flaw that she has to overcome. It's either naivety or arrogance that she can do things by herself ETC. For example, right before going to Valor Mountain, she insists that Venam and us stay behind, while she takes care of business with Xen despite being willing to leave things to the PC like letting them fight Neved, or working with Aelita to break out of Blacksteeple. And there are moments that feel forced, like the game going SEE? SHE"S NOT A MARY SUE, like that scene with Hapi not fighting the Carnivine, or her describing her flaws in one scene talking to Venam, which feels robotic.

Ultimately, i actually like Melia's character, in spite of my critique and am invested in seeing what happens next for her, now that our scooby gang is reunited.(Even if i think the whole sibling plot twist was bizarre) I just have some concerns about her writing. What do you guys think?

I've actually battled with this idea while replaying Rejuv and Reborn. I like Rejuv because its an adventure where you are not the main character but instead the main character's weapon. It allows you to join the ride and enjoy the story and it makes your reactionary role a bit better since you're part of a team with a defined leader. I enjoy Melia's character and feel she does grow and evolve with the story from bratty and impulsive to a lot more composed albeit with her breaks due to stress.

The main character problem in Reborn is different because there you're a nigh unstoppable god who can cannonically never lose a fight. I don't think this hurt's reborn THAT much but it definitely poses a problem of never really worrying too much about your self-insert's decisions. As far as Melia is concerned she isn't a Mary Sue because she isn't all good or all powerful. She has her nasty moments and breaking points and there are several characters like Karen, Spacea, Tiempa, Crescent and Madame X who have all displayed greater strength feats than she has at this time. I honestly really like her character but yeah it is lacking in some heavy moments. Mainly the time she spent in the past which could have just been you taking control of her until she formulates the plan to return to the present. 

Also Erin being her sister did seem a little forced and out of nowhere and has some holes there. If they wanted to give Melia a sibling just bring back Zetta who actually had some urgency to have/find a family.

2 hours ago, Damage said:

I've actually battled with this idea while replaying Rejuv and Reborn. I like Rejuv because its an adventure where you are not the main character but instead the main character's weapon. It allows you to join the ride and enjoy the story and it makes your reactionary role a bit better since you're part of a team with a defined leader. I enjoy Melia's character and feel she does grow and evolve with the story from bratty and impulsive to a lot more composed albeit with her breaks due to stress.

The main character problem in Reborn is different because there you're a nigh unstoppable god who can cannonically never lose a fight. I don't think this hurt's reborn THAT much but it definitely poses a problem of never really worrying too much about your self-insert's decisions. As far as Melia is concerned she isn't a Mary Sue because she isn't all good or all powerful. She has her nasty moments and breaking points and there are several characters like Karen, Spacea, Tiempa, Crescent and Madame X who have all displayed greater strength feats than she has at this time. I honestly really like her character but yeah it is lacking in some heavy moments. Mainly the time she spent in the past which could have just been you taking control of her until she formulates the plan to return to the present. 

Also Erin being her sister did seem a little forced and out of nowhere and has some holes there. If they wanted to give Melia a sibling just bring back Zetta who actually had some urgency to have/find a family.

If i may, i would argue that both Melia and us are the main characters, to use another FF X analogy, we're the Tidus to her Yuna. Our existence aids in her story and vice versa. And here's the thing, if you notice, we do take moments that Melia does need for her character, like interacting with the Theolia family, because connections. And in return, Melia takes screen time from plot points focused on us, like who the impostors are in GDC, so it's a mixed bag. 

Agreed, Erin's connection was to Aelita, not Melia, Alice and Allen, i could buy being her siblings, but Erin feels forced. I'm 100% sure it was planned, but it was still weird. Just hoping Crescent isn't suddenly going to be revealed to be Anathea and thus Melia's mom. 

• Like 2

I think, speaking about the gang in Rejuvenation comparing it with the one in Reborn, the main difference would be Melia's role: in Reborn the PC (even if starting as an outside force coming by train from outside)) is part of the plot, the others are kidnapped, attacked and are losing until the PC comes to the rescue or helps them move forward. In the other hand, in Rejuv, one has the feeling that, even being the Interceptor and actually having plot points made about them, with Nancy and Crescent for example, the PC is just there, the gang is well defined with Melia at its head (and in the heart of the plot), and if the PC wasn't around, another npc would fill the task, be it Ren, Aelita, Erin or Melia herself.

Speaking about Melia's status as Mary Sue, I understand why people think that, but I think her power does not actually work as an actual power but as a Plot-moving force, is not compared to the magic of Madame X, Crescent or the likes, and her plot importance comes from, well, being the Main Character.

Since my last comment was a little bit on the humorous side, I guess I should give my two cents about what I like about Melia and her character. And while I could go the easy route and say everything, I think a bit of elaboration would make for a more compelling post.

Part of what I like about her is just how much development she goes though, in both a character and an idea. Take her incarnation in the earliest versions of the game; she was a nigh-invincible character that rubbed people the wrong way due to how flawless she was. However, the passion and polish that Jan and his crew put in into fixing up the story in order to make her more relatable/endearing and less of a perfect character is both admirable and praiseworthy. Story wise, she goes from thinking that she must do everything on her own, to being more trusting of her friends and willing to accept help from them. The multiple ways she can be interpreted as, both in terms of character and an idea is why I find her so enjoyable to write about. Hey, I may as well admit that Melia is one of the main reasons why I prefer Rejuvenation over Reborn, but that's just me. 

Then again, as her No.1 fan it's expected that I'd say something like that.  

• Like 1

We don't bash here, i enjoy the cast of Rejuv or Reborn, even the greatness that is Texen and Fern. 

Yeah, i was checking the older versions of this game, and you can really tell quite a lot improved. Like the fact that Madame X's sword was named Senketsuken. HAHAHAAHHAAHAHA, that will never stop being funny.

My literature professor told me every first character is a mary sue, and it's nothing to be ashamed off.  Personally, i enjoy her interactions with the rest of the cast, she's quite good at being the straight man to Venam's antics(HA), or helping Erin out with her issues. As a character overall, she's a diamond in the rough, i'm quite curious as to what the end goal for her character is. 

But on the topic of her fanfiction elements, like her light powers, or how she makes shinies effortlessly, i can see why that's quite off putting, but her character and story so far is what keeps her likable. Let's just hope the devs don't make Risa Raider a villain because she beat Melia ehh? hahahaha. But i guess that her light powers while not being particularly pokemon esque, are something you just have to accept when playing the game, it's how Jan handles it i guess, that prevents it from being OP.

And i must say one of my favorite scenes in this game, is the friendship montage between the MC and Melia at Goldenwood. The MC just survived a terrorist attack and saw their mom and several passengers possibly die as far as they know, they are thrust into a unknown region with no friends or family, and just some Pokemon, and yet, this girl reminds them that life ain't all bad and there are good people.  

EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW THE BEST GIRLS ARE AELITA AND NIM

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Magus543 said:

And i must say one of my favorite scenes in this game, is the friendship montage between the MC and Melia at Goldenwood. The MC just survived a terrorist attack and saw their mom and several passengers possibly die as far as they know, they are thrust into a unknown region with no friends or family, and just some Pokemon, and yet, this girl reminds them that life ain't all bad and there are good people.

It's one of my favorite moments as well; the perfect touch of feelgood to cheer both the MC and Melia up as both of them are going through a rough patch in their lives.

• Like 1