Pokemon Reborn - Walkthrough-review Part 10 [FINALE]: To be continued...

Yoraiko

Ohhh what a wonderful review!

Difficulty wise it's a great game but oh boy will you hate it during some fights but! You're right that Reborn is pretty much never unfair because there's always a way. 

Huge piece of advice is to train more than six Pokemon, not necessary at the beginning but you'll thank me later on lmao. 

Also in the Grand Hall there are a few repeatable trainers (they depend on the day of the week), grinding is still tedious as always but it makes it easier haha. 

I hope you'll enjoy Reborn as much as I, and many many others, did~

Hi there and welcome to the wonderful world that is Pokémon Reborn and its community!

Reading through that first post of your Walkthrough Review reminded me about my first playthrough and the feeling of finally getting to play a challenging Pokémon game where i can't just brain afk smash my way through the whole game.

You are right to believe that you are in for quite the challenge that will put your skills as a trainer to the test, at least on your first playthrough. However, this game also has quite some replay value, as you will find out that at some points of the game you will be forced into decisions that slightly alter the story. Not gonna spoiler anything, but if you ever need help, feel free to ask on the forums, as someone will always be willing to help you with useful tips and strategy.

Allow me to give you a little piece of advise on your journey. As you already said yourself, Reborn is challenging, but never unfair. There is always a solution for every battle, no matter how difficult it seems to be. You'll want to explore the world as much as possible, as not only will you find different Pokémon at different times of day, but also a lot of static encounters at certain weather conditions. And since every Pokémon can have its hidden ability, no matter where you find them, it's always worth a try to keep looking for what Pokémon you may find.

Only one thing i'd like to correct though. Pokémon Reborn is not a hack. While hacks are modified versions of the official games that require an emulator to be played, Reborn is a standalone game created in RPG Maker XP.

• 2 weeks later...

Cough L Cough.If you ev train your pokemon's,It will really be fun.Soft reset for good iv,ev starter,nature starter or breeding pokemons for the same.I feel bad for you cuz you haven't even Pokemon rejuvenation I think,on intense especially.To be honest If was to critic the game the only drawback would that it doesn't exactly have a critically acclaimed story,and finding the mirage tower was impossible for some people even after walkthroughs and stuff(Maybe it had a bug got patched later,idk).Gameplay wise though some fields are broken and unrealistic its unmatched by any other game.Gamefreak should learn a thing or two from these guyz.Rather than adding more charizards and digimons to the game they could add field effects.

Edited by SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!

Okay, first off I think your view is quite biased because of your current frustration. In fact this game is very carefully balanced. It is "unfair" in the sense that gym leaders have access to better Pokemon, but you have to considering that you're not playing vs a human opponent. If you play vs Reborns AI with even teams, THEN it will be unbalanced - in your favour. So there has to be some sort of advantage for the gym leaders. 

"My friend, who brought me to Reborn, said you have switch between more pokemon in Reborn to get through. No, I do not want that." - If you do not "want that", then you can't really complain about the game being unbalanced and unfair. If I wanna win a soccer match but refuse to move around, then I won't win. But you can also limit this by doing some "research" into which good Pokemon are available early on. And regarding the level cap: If you train up multiple Pokemon, you rarely need Common Candy.

I think Reborn doesn't make it a secret that it's rather difficult. But that's all it is - difficult. Not unfair, not unbalanced.

If that is a big problem for you - which seems to be the case - there are some things you can do that do not include mindless grinding:

- as mentioned above: "research" which good Pokemon are available early on. That way you don't have to train up a new team every gym.

- figure out field effects and use them to your advantage

- ask people to trade you better Pokemon

- abuse the fact that you have a human brain and Reborn only has a predictable AI

• Like 5

Oh boy, your second part of the walkthrough review is the polar opposite of the first part XD But since you are new to the game let me give you a bunch of advice.

The first thing you should always keep in mind is that Reborn may seem to be unfair at certain points, but it never really is unfair at all. The core principle of Reborn is the fact that the game gives you strong opponents that will give you a real challenge. But Reborn will also always provide you with the Pokémon you need to overcome any obstacles without. Yes, a certain amount of grinding will be unavoidable, but not so much that it would affect the experience in a negative way.

Yes, you will certainly need more than just 6 Pokémon in order to beat the game, but that doesn't mean you have to train 50+ Pokémon. Reborn gives you some really good Pokémon very early on. Some of them are heavily underestimated by many players. Your Butterfree for example should have been able to sweep half of Florinias gym by itself, with only Cradily and Ferroseed being a problem. Both of those could have easily been knocked out by a Mankey or a Makuhita. Both of those can be found in the Obsidia Slums, the same place you caught your Pancham. Makuhita also would have been able to evolve to Hariyama at Level 24, which is 1 level beneath the cap at that point.

But instead of me just trying to make a point here i can lend you a hand if you like. Ask me for advise whenever you need help, and i'll try to help you out.

• Like 4

I'm just plain curious how this will turn out in the end when the real issues begin.

Anyway, best of luck to you with your playthrough - you'll need it and I'm always there for you to help you out. Just make sure you'll talk to everyone and everything in Reborn's world, even if it's just some piles of stone. You WILL be rewarded at some point.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:12 AM, Yoraiko said:

- Cain is a dude

- You CAN muscle your way through a large chunk of the game with the pokemon you want through abuse of X ___ items. But it is a strategy that will not last forever (I got up to badge 15)

- If you look around, the game throws pokemon at you that can solve all your problems. (You can catch a Numel right after facing Julia). Reborn always gives you a free pass if you look for it.

- Being Stubborn is going to make it much less enjoyable. I speak from experience, I got stuck on the 5th gym leader on my first playthrough for a long time before I realized my team just wasn't built for the field and gym. 

- Hold X to Fast Forward through Dialogue

- Swapping pokemon out occasionally is perfectly reasonable and you can still be attached to them. Even Idiot Hero Ash would still swap out mons when he had to.

- Good luck. If you think Florinia is hard, you haven't seen anything yet.

Well, Reborn was always made for more Hardcore part of Pokemon community. It's bit like complaing about dark souls being too hard, while it's difficulty it's main selling point for franchise.
Some people here, actually are disappointed that it's getting easier over last few releases. 

Also, there is funny read about Reborn difficulty, if you haven't seen it already. You might want to have a look:

Hmmm, I think both of your reviews are fair. The level cap is a lot harsher in Reborn then in the standard games, and I feel like pokemon have a higher chance of not listening to you. That said, I never really had much issue with grinding, as most areas got me to about where I need to be. A few things I will note:

1) You're generally going to need a bigger team then just 6 pokemon. While there are some players, like Ttar, who only use a core of three or four pokemon, I think even he is starting to figure out that he can't just cruise through the game with the three main pokemon he currently uses.

2) You'll want to learn how the field effects work. Nine times out of ten I beat a gym leader by using their own field against them. It can be tricky to master, but once you have a handle on it, fields make battles a lot easier.

3) While I would call the game difficult, I'm not sure I'd call it unfair. As others have pointed out, Reborn does give you the tools you need to get through a challenge. Even the "Supposed to lose" battle can be beaten with skill and a bit of luck. 

A few hints for you as well:

- Look through the Pokemon Locations Spreadsheet, it will help you find some extra pokemon. Espurr is a surprisingly useful little Psychic time for the early game, and you can get it as soon as you start the game. You need to pay that one bum to move out of the way right by the first gym. 

- I.V.s ad E.V.s are not necessary for the beginning of the game,  but become more important as time goes on. 

- Talk to Ame from that little console for every gym battle, she'll often point you in the right direction strategy wise.

- Find those Field Effect Readouts and learn what they do and how they work. They seriously change entire battles, and you can usually find a way to make use of them. In fact, before she was nerfed, the only way I could beat the Fire Type gym was by using the Field Effect and fighting Fire with Fire.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see you didn't give up on the game after that second review. Yes, you have a point if you say the game is challenging, but you made use of the advice people tried giving to you, which just speaks for you in a good way.

So you said you fought Shelly 30 to 40 times? That sounds about what most people do experience against her, since she is rather difficult compared to the other fight in that level area. But the double battles in this game can get a little tricky due to the overall higher difficulty of Reborn.

Also, about the part where we told you that you might want to train more than 6 Pokémon: Usually it is enough to train roughly about 2 teams to beat the game. If you have between 12 and 15 different Pokémon you can cover all types and you have a good mix of Pokémon to either hit any gym leader with what is effective against the type of gym, or to go for the weak spots of their Pokémons second types. And just like i told you last time: Whenever you feel like you hit a wall in the game, feel free to ask for help. The people on this community will usually provide you with answers that will help you.

• 4 weeks later...

Oof, where do i start?

First of all, i am surprised to see that you are still at it, even though most of your review sounds like you don't like the game at all. And to be honest that is one major point of fair critique i have to spell out about your review. When i read the first part it sounded like you enjoy the game, but with every new part you are writing it sounds more and more like you hate the game and are just excessively looking for any small things that you can use to say the game is bad.

And no, i am not saying this because i want to defend Pokémon Reborn because i'm a fan, i'm saying this because there is so much negativity in your reviews that it looks like this negativity is all your whole blog is about.

That being said i won't continue reading your review of the game any further, because it's overflowing with so much negativity from your own subjective opinion that you leave no room for objective facts. You say the Reborn community can't take any criticism of their beloved game, but on the other hand what you call "criticism" is nothing but you lashing out at the game and the developers. You are throwing around your biased, negative opinion of the game and call that "criticism". Reading your so called "reviews" makes me feel like listening to a child throwing a tantrum because the game is too difficult. And trust me, my 12 year old nephew sounds just like that when he throws a tantrum.

Also what's that about "you are enjoying exchange with the Reborn community"? Not even once have you talked to us here on the forums, all you do is posting the new parts of the ongoing rant you call a "review". The people here on this topic tried to give you some advice, they offered to help you if you have difficulties with the game. And yet you make it sound like all we do is flaming you because you "criticised" the game. The only one i see flaming is you. Not on this forum, but in your so called "reviews".

I tried to offer you advise, i offered my help, but if you are insulting people who offered their help don't be surprised if they "don't take that all too well".

• Upvote 5

Hoy,

First of all, i am surprised to see that you are still at it, even though most of your review sounds like you don't like the game at all.

idk, I dont think thats the case, I mean, maybe it is the case right now, but generally there were big aspects about it that I didnt like and there are aspects - characters, story, world -that I hope will come back to me again.

and are just excessively looking for any small things that you can use to say the game is bad.

TVTropes:

Fetch Quest: An exhausting one: After helping the kids from the Orphanage escape, you have to go get a door open by turning the power on. Once you've beaten Shade, he turns the power on... and then shows you that your friends have been captured because Team Meteor was waiting for them behind the door you just got opened. In order to get to them, you need the HM for Strength, so you just need to go get it and beat the next leader, right? Haha, wrong. First, you have to go help Amaria track down the source of the poison polluting the lake. Once that's done, she gives you a boat so you can cross the lake. Second, you get to the next Gym Leader, Kiki, who you beat... but she doesn't give you the badge. Instead.... third, you have to go rescue Cain, who managed to get himself kidnapped by Team Meteor, and once you've beaten them, you find out that they're going to destroy Kiki's Academy. So fourth, you have to go back there and help fight off Team Meteor before they destroy the place. Then, while you get the HM, because Kiki was killed in the attack, you can't get the badge. Instead, fifth, you have to go find the next Gym Leader and beat her. Then you can finally go rescue your friends.

Uuuhhh... I dont know about those 'small things'... and Im pretty sure there were a lot of green words in my reviews too, but I know that one tends to overread them when there's negative stuff.

because there is so much negativity in your reviews that it looks like this negativity is all your whole blog is about.

Maybe you should ask yourself where this comes from. There's actually pretty much tons of positive content and reviews on my blog, written about good games or movies. How much of a good game reborn eventually is remains to be seen. Thats the GOOD and BAD about a walkthrough - I only can write what I feel ant think right now. Would I have done this while playing Dark Sould or Undertale, I would have WRECKED those games. But afterwards, I saw them as the masterpieces they are.

That being said i won't continue reading your review of the game any further

ok

because it's overflowing with so much negativity from your own subjective opinion that you leave no room for objective facts

So you say my review is based on a subjective opinion? Do you have ever even once in your life seen a review that isnt based on a personal opinion? What are objective facts? What would be an objective fact that goes against my thoughts?

You are throwing around your biased, negative opinion of the game and call that "criticism

I am PLAYING the game and write about it as I do. At this point, what would be an un-biased opinion? How could I have one when I suffer through what the game puts me through sometimes? Only a person that didnt play the game so far and only learned about all that through an unemotional, perfect report of the events (TVtropes i.e.) could be un-biased, but since I'm playing it and feeling and thinking something about it, I'm not un-biased anymore. I'm un-biased in the regard that I have no agenda of hating on reborn - you can see that at my positive points and still playing the game and writing literally hours for the reports and translating them. I really, actually have better stuff to do and write with my little time, but I choose to playreborn and write about it because I somehow enjoy it. Think about that, friend.

my 12 year old nephew sounds just like that when he throws a tantrum.

Must be a smart boy then.

Also what's that about "you are enjoying exchange with the Reborn community"? Not even once have you talked to us here on the forums, all you do is posting the new parts of the ongoing rant you call a "review".

Luckily theres more to the reborn-community than this small forum. But you're right - I forgot to reply to the posts around here and thats a valid criticism. I read all of it and it helped, so I will reply if there will be more reactions here in the future.

To be perfectly honest, I had a friend, the one who originally introduced me to Reborn, who raised some of the same criticisms as you. He wasn't used to having to train a full team from the get-go, and never got past Corey because of it. And, yeah, I can say one thing confidently: Reborn isn't for everyone. Different people play Pokemon different ways.

Also, I think the fetch quest speaks more to Victoria and Kiki's characters than bad writing; they must stick to tradition. After all, what's waiting a few extra minutes for a quick battle or badge test? It is the tradition, after all. And these small diversions add up until you're... traversing the Bysbyxion Wasteland because there's no other way to contact Aya.

As loathe I as I am to admit it, on my first run through, Shelly -> Aya is my least favorite part of the game. I'd claim it's one of the less than stellar parts of the game, and have even ranted about it myself to some friends. I share some of your thoughts, although some are a little extra than even I disliked. I like to think you've gotten past the lowest point of the game and it gets better from there, as after Aya is when I got hooked on the game myself. I had gotten stuck on Aya on my initial playthrough and then opted to start again and not be a dummy about my choices and what pokemon I used. (I brought a lvl 34 Carvhana to Aya). Although I tend to not pay attention to the story, and if I remember correctly it's based off of the roleplay from the Reborn League Online thing when it was still around which might have something to do with your points. Anyways, it's okay to have a little bit of fun with your team. It's fine to get attached to pokemon you want to use over others, as the game gets much less restrictive now that options are opening up to you...

However there is one part of the game that may very well break you. It nearly broke me and I tried to prepare for it even.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:18 PM, Yoraiko said:

Would you kindly try to inform me about it without too big spoilers?

I'm not the same person, but this happened to me three times personally: one specific gym fight (the only one harder than Shelly in my opinion) and two other points throughout the game where there are multiple bossfights in a row with no opportunity to save or reorder your party or anything. Lose one battle, you have to start all over.

Well, I really enjoyed the review and hope that there will be a next part. The part about the abduction of the children is some kind of strange "Schnitzeljagd" just to get over a small gap in the underground. However, I guess this is how Pokémon works: Don't question the necessary and usage rules of HMs 😉

Starting in Gen 1, you find your path blocked by a tree. So you have to walk to a small house behind a bridge with like 100 trainers to find some nerd who gives you a ticket for a ship. There, you have to cure the seasick captain in order to get the HM "cut" to be able to get rid of the tree. However, this is not possible until you got Misty's badge. Reborn kinda followed that logic but I totally agree that you rather wants to proceed in the story instead of this quite large detour. The good thing is that you can enjoy the awesome music at Apophyll Beach 😀

Concerning your "slave army": I also have some Pokémon which I used for only one or two major battles. All these Pokémon are in a separate box named "Legends". So it is just a matter of the point of view 🙂

Like almost everyone, I struggled at many battles in my first playthrough. I enjoyed this because it is like puzzle solving and I love puzzle solving. Since you appear not to be the greatest fan of puzzles, I am glad that you found ways to brute-force through battles. You like Anna (best character!!), thus you will like the upcoming story. She is insane! 🙂

So, having read your newest review...I kind of have to agree with you on the whole trip between Amy and Shelly. Kiki and Cain both annoy me in that section, and you take so many detours. I think it'd work better if you changed a few things around, and either have Kiki's events happen before the kids are kidnapped, or after you rescue it, it would work better. Because the entire quest does open up some insight on Victoria and Cain's characters. Its just...that insight comes at a time when you're trying to save the kids. Azurine Island isn't as bad as it seems. The first time you go there, it can be confusing, but thankfully there aren't quite as many branching paths.

All in all, there are really only three sections of Reborn that I've never been a fan of, and you got past the first one. The next one is on Route 1, though you have a decent amount of time before it starts up. I highly recommend not even bothering with trying to solve that puzzle alone, just find a guide for it. As for the slave army...ehhh, not much to be said there. You need a good variety of pokemon to get through the different challenges. That said, certain pokemon, like Growlithe/Arcanine, are good enough to remain in your party at almost all times, baring the occasional Water type trainer. Now for the good news:

1. Cain does redeem themselves. They sort of dropped the ball big time after being captured, but you'll soon find that Cain is able to redeem themselves from that little disaster.
  2. Anna and Shelly are going to be a bit more prominent in this next section, so enjoy it
  3. The path to the next gym is far shorter, and a lot more enjoyable

• 1 month later...