New To The Game, Some Feedback/Review

Luna.

This is a great game; I downloaded it recently and played all the way to the moment where the doctor comes to the house about lv 40/50. The battles are much harder, and the resources are scarce leading to me choosing tactics that I've never thought of using before.

I used a meowth pickup army to grab rare candies while I'm ev training my main pokemon, and sold them for 20k each, and then bought all the ev training items, and then ev trained even faster. Did I mention that chansey is a monster? The only thing I'm missing is toxic or seismic toss, and I'll rename it to god.

The ponyta I got was hilarious, and I stuffed pp up on it's bounce. It can spread status like a boss, and raise its speed. It literally soloed the aphophyll gym leader. I didn't even realize I needed it until I was stuck on shade, and found it was the only other fire type I could get that wasn't bad. Simsear wasn't there I had a panpour, and slugma sucks. Why would I use a panpour when I have a greninja :P?

There's a lot of good things to say about this game, but something is stopping my rating from being a perfect score. It's the performance - there's lag sometimes which makes the game unenjoyable; maybe there's a way to perform optimization?

Edited by Luna.

RPG Maker games are pretty hard to make run smoothly. I've heard some people reporting improvements by running the game on only 1 CPU core. The logic being the older RPG Maker engine is more suited/optimized to run on a single core.

Here's how you would make the game run on a single core:

1. Start the game

2. Open task manager and click on the "details" tab

3. Right click on the Reborn .exe that's running and select "Set affinity"

4. Uncheck all the CPU cores except for one of them

5. Select "OK" and close the task manager. 

You'd have to repeat this process everytime you launch the game, or you could make a batch (.bat) file for it. Try it out, and if you find that running the game on a single core works well for you and would like to create a shortcut, here's how you can make a .bat file to launch the game using only one core.

Create a text file (with like, Notepad) and write this:

cd [Reborn folder path]
start /affinity 1 Game.exe

So in my case it looks like this:

cd C:\Users\Nico\Documents\Pokemon Reborn
start /affinity 1 Game.exe

The first line browses to the directory of the game file, and the second line, "start /affinity 1 Game.exe", will launch Game.exe to run using only Core 0.
Save the file as a .bat, and that's it. Double click to run. I made this in my Reborn folder.

Now, you can't pin .bat files to the task bar (where I like to keep my Reborn shortcut) but there's an easy workaround if you want to do that.
Create a new shortcut (I also made this in my Reborn folder), and in the target location write: cmd /c "[path to batch file]"

So mine looks like this:

cmd /c "C:\Users\Nico\Documents\Pokemon Reborn\single-core reborn.bat"

Name it and change the icon to match Reborn's icon so it looks pretty and you're done. You can pin this shortcut to your taskbar or start or wherever you have you current Reborn shortcut.

Hopefully this was followable, and hopefully you see performance improvements with this. Otherwise there's not much else you can do AFAIK besides buying a beefier computer :p

• Like 1

I tried Nicocchi said and got Reborn running a bit smoother, especially in Spinel Town! It was pretty unbearable there before running on a single core. 

Fast forward smooths the experience out back to normal speed in some laggy areas, but I'm sure you've already noticed that.