Problem with my character upon changing versions

Silyeh'Edehra

Hello

So, i just recently realized that I was playing on an old version of the game (v9), so I decided to download v12. But when I launched the game, not only did my sprite change (which was expected), but the gender of my character also changed from female to male (blue name and all) ! Plus, sprites on the map don't match the sprites during fights.

My old map sprite :

Me6erNx.png

My new one :

PIjcb03.png

My old battle sprite :

SmolUDl.png

My new one :

qoHje5v.png

Plus, like I said, my character is now considered to be male... How can I fix this ? I have over 100 hours playtime on the game, I don't want to do it all over again...

Edited by Silyeh'Edehra

As far as I can tell, the game did away with giving the MC a gender designation in one of the previous Versions, and consequently yours went to the default when that aspect of the game was lost.

This shouldn't have affected the sprites, though- those are expressly labeled in the files and are supposed to follow those labels, so you're supposed to have the pink-haired backsprites still. I did check the files as far back as I can (I seem to have deleted or overwritten my V9 at some point, so I used V10 instead), and the labels for the sprite line between those two...

Unfortunately, I can't help in a more tangible manner, but hopefully my insight be helpful for someone who can?

Hm, could be. Where were you in your save when you updated your game? An absolutely massive chunk of the game's map had been changed between the two Versions, and while I'm not sure how much of an impact that could have on this situation, the chance enough to warrant looking into IMO.

I believe the Secret Shore is a safe zone, so it shouldn't be giving you that error message. Wonder what's up with that... 🤔

At this point, i think the best course of action would be to update the file in order, making sure to visit the the sprite-changing Grand Dream City's NPC in V10 to fix in the pink-haired female sprite along the way. Note that the V9 version isn't available in V12, but at least you won't be stuck playing the guy anymore. If you aren't up to GDC yet, then I'd suggest continuing in V9 until you can access the festival, in order to keep things simple. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

For this situation, it'll probably be best to just download each version completely and move through them in order. Having each Version in different folders helps keep the metaphorical wires from getting crossed during the process, and allows you to more easily get rid of any of them you don't actually want to be taking up storage space on your computer after the fact. The actual save file is stored in a completely different part of the computer, so this shouldn't have any direct impact on how it functions.

No, don't replace the folder entirely! It's best to have the original Version on hand still in case something goes wrong along the way, so that you'll still have a pure bass to work with.

...Can't say I have any idea what to do regarding V11's absence, admittedly. The good news is, I think that one's the least relevant of the bunch, so skipping it shouldn't matter all too much.

Edit: You're looking to have each Version to be it's own folder, like so:

Spoiler

6bvK4K9.png

Two relevant questions:

1) Are you still in the Secret Shore?

2) What is the Screen Size you're saved on?

Both of these factors have caused errors on update in the past, so it's worth checking. If you're playing on anything other than Medium screen size, please go ahead and change that real quick and try again.

...Looking back at the V10 Download Thread (specifically portion labelled "PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE PLAYING. SERIOUSLY, READ IT"), the error popping up the first time V10 is booted is normal. Guess the game has to adjust to suddenly being able to support 3 Save Files simultaneously?

As for the trainer sprite issue, that's why we're stopping at V10 specifically- the NPC that corrects the problem only exists in V10 and V11, and since the second one doesn't seem to be functional at all, V10's gonna have to do. Head to the Grand Dream Festival (the area with all the tents and clowns and stuff) and talk around to the NPCs until you get the right guy. 

I think you can simply switch the sprites by editing the file names in the adequate folder. I made a custom character once and I just replaced every sprites (including the surf and the bike ones).

Copy your V12 folder and try this method on this second folder so that you won't break anything.

As for the gender issue, you need to reach for a RPG maker enthusiam or a dev since it's a hardcoded thing.

I'm trying to give them a way to fix the sprite issue that won't make it so that they have to change up some of the files every time the game gets a new update moving forward. Better get out of the way now with the tools that are baked into the game because the devs knew something like this would happen, rather than worry about it later, ya know? 

It is a good backup plan in case the code decides to be extra fiddly about all this, however.

It takes 5 minutes but anyway. You sure need to know what to do.

Let's say the game summons a Sprite Set #1 there is no garanty that it will summon the Sprite Set #4 by updating the versions.

If the files are not replaced, it will need a dev to find the code line that summons a specific sprite set chosen by the player in the beginning.

I am not sure about the term 'summon'. I don't know IT english  ^^ it's good food for thought tho.