I'm really bad at team building

Shirokiba

I'm about to start over on Pokemon Reborn and, admittedly, I am horrible at team building. I favor offense but when I tried it before, it didn't work and it was likely due to my team in that game, which was Blaziken, Magnezone, Nidoking, Ludicolo, Gardevoir and Mamoswine, I didn't have a real strategy, it was just to hit things hard. I'm wanting to try not just do that but I have no idea where to start. I'm unsure if going pure offense will really be enough. I've had some suggestions about using Ribombee or Swoobat as sweepers, not sure how well that would work in Reborn, though, since team formation has to change a bit when fighting certain gym leaders.

the thing of team building is having a center pice and a team who this pice can fall back, example for a team with blaziken as a core you can always count on a dark water mon for coverage, and someone with a strong ground STAB, with this you should be good to go example Blaziken , Nidoqueen and sharpedo, they work preaty well together and the better part is that nidoqueen is a event mon, so you can soft reset for a better nature as atributes, take her and EV train her to be a beast, aqua gang will give you a nice carvanha ( same deal soft reset for a nice one ) and you will have a solid team with 3 free slots for rotation and slaves, so you can bring a teleport mon, a flying slave and a pick up mon or whatever you wish for.

But anyway we are here to help so say us your wish and we will brainstorm you a brand new team.

Calm mind Simple Swoobat put in a lot of work for me early game in one of my first playthrough. It gets Calm Mind at level 29 and Air slash not much levels after.
I remember that i stopped using him when he was like level 50 so that's a long time it was usefull for me. But depending on your other team members it could potentially put in more work for you.

That being said, for lategame i would definitely go for screens. Blaziken works really well with screens. So you could get a A-sandslash and get the Arora-veil TM at Serra and later on swap it out for a A-Ninetales. Sharpedo is good behind screens as well.

Straight up offence is most of the time not a great idea to deal with the power Reborn attacks you with. With shift on it could work ofcourse but I always depended on pure luck at the double battles with my first playthroughs cause of I didn't had anything to take a hit so i could heal my mons.

You could also go with something like a calm mind Slow Bro, it's kinda offensive, but can also take a hit if it needs to.

But like @WildRoad said the rest of your team really depends on the mons you like to use and the playstyle you have or want to use, it's not like here are the 5 mons who go good with Blaziken haha.

yes.

6 hours ago, Shirokiba said:

well, starting over, I picked up Torchic, since it's my favorite. Looked up cutiefly, looks like I can't get it till a bit later. Also, when you say Nidoqueen is an event mon, are you referring to Corey's Nidorina?

But above all else try having fun at the game, use mons you find cool and such, there is a lot of mons on this game and early game will be easy since you are willing to go with Blaziken, instead of a nidoqueen you can go for a excadrill or a Krookodile bot excelent ground types, or go for the bulky ones like steelix seismitoad, the idea i gave you is use type advantage when using a full on offence team blaziken work wonder's when you dont need to worry about his weakness, but the same goes for every mon on the game dont worry about a end game team right know start thinking on it after you beat noel ( i usualy do this ) you will have a lot of choices, or either look for a trade mon online play its right there so you can get that hydreigon and punch people in the face.

1 hour ago, N1Dude said:

Calm mind Simple Swoobat put in a lot of work for me early game in one of my first playthrough. It gets Calm Mind at level 29 and Air slash not much levels after.
I remember that i stopped using him when he was like level 50 so that's a long time it was usefull for me. But depending on your other team members it could potentially put in more work for you.

That being said, for lategame i would definitely go for screens. Blaziken works really well with screens. So you could get a A-sandslash and get the Arora-veil TM at Serra and later on swap it out for a A-Ninetales. Sharpedo is good behind screens as well.

Straight up offence is most of the time not a great idea to deal with the power Reborn attacks you with. With shift on it could work ofcourse but I always depended on pure luck at the double battles with my first playthroughs cause of I didn't had anything to take a hit so i could heal my mons.

You could also go with something like a calm mind Slow Bro, it's kinda offensive, but can also take a hit if it needs to.

But like @WildRoad said the rest of your team really depends on the mons you like to use and the playstyle you have or want to use, it's not like here are the 5 mons who go good with Blaziken haha.

A quite useful tool I found for teambuilding was this: http://jakerodelius.com/web/pokemon-calc/index.html

Enter the types of your mons and you see where your teams weaknesses lie. Very helpful if you have an almost complete team or want to replace a member. But remember this tool only show your defensive capabilities and doesn't account immunity abilities like Levitate. Also ignore the rating, never really understood how it's generated.

I'm not sure of the exact strategy I want but I tend to favor both offensive and defensive styles of play. I've seen people lead off with pokemon that set hazards and stuff and reborn added those interesting fields that add new strategies. As for preferred pokemon I'm willing to try anything since a lot of the gym leaders seem to require some flexibility when taking them on.

Trick Room strategy is pretty cool.

I abused the hell out of Reuniclus Trick Room on my first playthrough.

Pair him with mons like Gigalith and Escavalier, or other slow mons and all of a sudden your tanks can start sweeping because of simple type advantage.

Just make sure to cover your team doesn't have any glaring type weaknesses that can end up sweeping your team. Always keep in mind to add in mons that cover your weak spots as well as makes sure you cover as many types yourself.

So, I just got the egg from the slum, it looks to be a Bronzor, i think I just got really lucky with that. Looks like things might be shaping up, if i can make good use of Bronzor.

My team, right now, is:
Combusken

Quirky Nature

Speed Boost

Mightyena

Rash Nature

Intimidate

Swoobat

Docile Nature

Simple

Kricketune

Rash Nature