Upstairs or Downstairs

Lucifer Morningstar

I've just beaten Sirius at Yeruyu Mansion and have been giving two options, to go upstairs to rescue one of the orphanage group who screamed in peril or to remain downstairs to contain Sirus. 
Is there is right or wrong choice here?

I've glanced through this older thread I found through Google:

which helped me realize just how much of this event was reliant on a previous event which I did blindly, I think it was the Cain partner event at the abandoned Corp building. When asked if I wanted a fight in that event I said yes and battled him assuming it didn't make a difference, that the battle would be imposed by another character if declined. 

Other things I was able to grasp from that thread were:
- Different choices cause different Orphanage characters to be kidnapped by either Connal or Sirius and there no choice that saves everybody. 
- Certain stories are unlocked with certain choices. 
- You get either Sephira or Lauren as a partner in a subsequent rescue event, decided by which one you get kidnapped. 
- Apparently there is one series of outcomes that are considered "canon".

From what I've gathered the kidnap victims don't make a difference but I'd like to make a decision that gets me the most story because I like backstories and apparently I missed out on Connal's already. 

Does one choice throw me into another battle without a save point? I've had enough of that, I need to save. Sirius was a bitch. 

Edited by Verge Of Chaos

If u smash quick save button quickly, in few moments, like after the battle but before the dialogue starts (or when the characters are moving in the even, but not talking yet, you get it) you can save, this works in most of the other chain battles etc. - tough keep in mind, you might want to go back and set up for the fight differently, so you may want to keep backup saves.

If I recall correcty, you need to stay downstairs in order to get Saphira kidnapped, what makes for branched story part where Laura is partner for you afterwards in Meteor battle, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Like, 95%, but not 100%. 

2 hours ago, Egzample said:

If u smash quick save button quickly, in few moments, like after the battle but before the dialogue starts (or when the characters are moving in the even, but not talking yet, you get it) you can save, this works in most of the other chain battles etc. - tough keep in mind, you might want to go back and set up for the fight differently, so you may want to keep backup saves.

Ironic, I did that twice the first time I played the event out: 
- Right before Sigmond arrives 
- Right before Sirius arrives
Both of which provide about 2 seconds that feel like they're going into breaks between scenes but failed both times. 

Edited by Verge Of Chaos

Update:

I'm still looking a bit around Google and I am getting confused. 
Something is definitely wrong in Sirius's Wiki page:
https://pokemon-reborn.fandom.com/wiki/Sirius 

The team I just battled was the team listed for his "Second" and "Optional" battle (level-wise as it's the same team both times) but I don't recall ever battling him before and this battle wasn't optional. 
I was never given a boss battle choice that I am aware of. 

Edited by Verge Of Chaos

Update:

So this post at a site called SomethingAwful:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856521&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=153#post488615265
does a very thorough job of mapping out the different options and their outcomes and seems to suggest that going upstairs gets the most backstory so that's where I am leaning towards. 

Now this may sound pretty obvious, and might be a bit of a hassle, but if you really want to get most out of the story, you might want to replay the game a few times, so you can actually go down different paths whereever you get to make a choice that leads to "different outcomes".

Let me give you an example. This will contain mild spoilers, so you may read it, or just ignore it. I will, however, not go into details about the plot itself.

Spoiler

The first time in Reborn where you get to make a choice that results in different story pieces would be in Beryl Ward, regarding Corey. You might remember that from watching TTar's Reborn Nuzlocke. If you talk to the chief of the police at the police headquarters in Jasper Ward, he'll tell you that there are 5 police officers currently missing. Now if you manage to find all 5 of them before you do the Taka+ZEL battle in Beryl ward (the one with the 3rd Pulse Tangrowth), after the battle you will see a different scene than the one you'll see if you don't find all 5 police officers before you do this battle. Depending on which scene you saw the Beryl gym will change as well. Corey's team will be the same, but with slightly different items and slightly different moves on some of his Pokémon. The field effect during the gym battle will be a different one. Also the dialogue will change. After you beat Corey you will also get a different dialogue, but both routes will end with Corey telling the player to meet him at Beryl Bridge. In both cases you get to see Corey releasing all of his Pokémon and jumping off the bridge after talking to you. The topic of that last conversation before his suicide changes depending on which route you took though.

Now, i won't tell you the details about what happens in these different dialogues, since that would take the replay value out of it, but trust me, it's worth to replay the game and pick different paths, if you really want to get as much story as you can.

Edited by ShogokiX

10 hours ago, ShogokiX said:

Now this may sound pretty obvious, and might be a bit of a hassle, but if you really want to get most out of the story, you might want to replay the game a few times, so you can actually go down different paths whereever you get to make a choice that leads to "different outcomes".

Let me give you an example. This will contain mild spoilers, so you may read it, or just ignore it. I will, however, not go into details about the plot itself.

Hide contents

The first time in Reborn where you get to make a choice that results in different story pieces would be in Beryl Ward, regarding Corey. You might remember that from watching TTar's Reborn Nuzlocke. If you talk to the chief of the police at the police headquarters in Jasper Ward, he'll tell you that there are 5 police officers currently missing. Now if you manage to find all 5 of them before you do the Taka+ZEL battle in Beryl ward (the one with the 3rd Pulse Tangrowth), after the battle you will see a different scene than the one you'll see if you don't find all 5 police officers before you do this battle. Depending on which scene you saw the Beryl gym will change as well. Corey's team will be the same, but with slightly different items and slightly different moves on some of his Pokémon. The field effect during the gym battle will be a different one. Also the dialogue will change. After you beat Corey you will also get a different dialogue, but both routes will end with Corey telling the player to meet him at Beryl Bridge. In both cases you get to see Corey releasing all of his Pokémon and jumping off the bridge after talking to you. The topic of that last conversation before his suicide changes depending on which route you took though.

Now, i won't tell you the details about what happens in these different dialogues, since that would take the replay value out of it, but trust me, it's worth to replay the game and pick different paths, if you really want to get as much story as you can.

Indeed, I am well aware of the differences between 'Police Found' and 'Police Farce' as they're officially called on the Wiki and indeed this is largely credited to Ttar as well as the comments on his videos. 
I found them all because most commenters said it entailed the better post zEL/Taka-battle cut scene (you'll remember Ttar didn't originally but was convinced to go back and do so by the viewers allowing him to provide both versions of that first altered cut scene). 

On that subject, I'm curious, does going down the 'Police Farce' route alter the Bike Voucher cut scene post-Aqua/Magma side mission since it directly references it?
I'm not opposed to spoilers in this and other such cases as well because I don't know that I could get through this game multiple times, I'm barely getting through it this first time. The plot and battle concepts are fantastic but it's easily the most difficult Pokemon game I've ever played. 
I'll probably end up searching the alternate scenarios on YT at some point. 

FYI in regard to this thread's main subject, I ended up choosing to go upstairs. 

Edited by Verge Of Chaos