A question regarding game mechanics/balance

Enari

I'm at Narcissa's gym playing on normal mode with game version 12. Over the course of repeatedly getting my ass handed to me and resetting, I noticed several jarring things: her Pokemon never miss hypnosis, her Pokemon never damage themselves out of confusion, and most of her Pokemon are faster than even my EV-trained Crobat, which at level 35 and with a speed stat of 125 should be mathematically impossible.

So here's my question: am I missing something here, is it bugged, or is this intentionally broken so as to introduce artificial difficulty? If it's the latter I'm going to drop this game like a hot potato, as nothing could kill my enthusiasm faster than a game's difficulty deriving from developers cheating for the NPC.

Please don't confuse this for a tantrum about difficulty; it's simply that I've noticed something disconcerting and want to know the facts.

Thanks.

37 minutes ago, Enari said:

I'm at Narcissa's gym playing on normal mode with game version 12. Over the course of repeatedly getting my ass handed to me and resetting, I noticed several jarring things: her Pokemon never miss hypnosis, her Pokemon never damage themselves out of confusion, and most of her Pokemon are faster than even my EV-trained Crobat, which at level 35 and with a speed stat of 25 should be mathematically impossible.

In that field hypnosis get 90% accuracy, for the confusion then you just really unlucky here is the field note for the field that she uses just to give you some heads up on what you're dealing with

Haunted Field

The field is haunted!'

*    Created by Never-ending Nightmare
*   Ghost type moves gain a 1.3x boost in power
*   Dark- and Special Fairy-type moves are 0.7x in power
*   Psychic-type moves are weakened by 0.5x
*   The following moves have their accuracy boosted to 90:
        Will-o-Wisp        Hypnosis
*       Ghost types deal super effective damage to Normal Type Pokemon.
*       Nightmare inflicts more damage. 
    The following move(s) gets a 1.3x increase in power and gain the Ghost type
        Flame Burst        Inferno        Flame Charge        Fire Spin
*       Spite depletes two more PP than usual.
*    Ominous wind has a 20% chance of raising all stats
*       Pokemon gradually lose health while asleep
*    The following moves can turn this field into a Blessed Field:
        Flash        Judgement        Origin Pulse        Seed Flare
        Sacred Fire        Dazzling Gleam        Purify
*    Curse, when used by a Ghost-type, uses only 25% of the user's HP
*    The following moves become single turn moves:
        Phantom Force        Shadow Force
*    Lick has a 100% chance to Paralyze
*    Night Shade deals 1.5x more damage
*    Scary Face has its effect doubled
*    Rattled boosts the user's Speed upon switch-in
*    Destiny Bond can no longer fail when used consecutively
*    Nature Power becomes Phantom Force
*    Camouflage changes the user's type to Ghost
*    Secret Power inflicts curse
*    Magical Seed raises Defense and Special Defense and applies burn to the user

21 minutes ago, fellowry said:

In that field hypnosis get 100% accuracy

That's odd, Jan didn't specify that at his little help box.

18 minutes ago, fellowry said:

You do realize you are playing rejuvenation right? the normal difficulty is the same as playing reborn which is hard

I did mentioned this isn't an issue of difficulty. I know she will be easy enough to overcome after adapting my team and strategy. I just want to make sure there's a level playing field, no pun intended.

Oh man I completely forgot that there are so many more field effects that Jan doesn't mention. He doesn't actually give a reminder in this gym for whatever reason. Thank you for reminding me.

Still though, how come Pokemon that should certainly not be faster than mine, still are? Example: her lead, Drifblim, versus my Crobat.

2 hours ago, fellowry said:

Yeah sorry if sound kinda rude earlier

No worries

2 hours ago, fellowry said:

as for your question all of the Leader and other bosses pkmn in Rejuv have perfect iv and full ev so her drifblim probably outspeed you cuz of that

Even assuming Narcissa's Drifblim has a nature favorable to speed (which I doubt), a 31 speed IV, and has 252 points in its speed EV (which I also doubt), its speed stat comes in at 94, well below my Crobat's 125 (his nature is neutral for the speed stat and his speed IV is 20). Drifblim's base speed stat is simply too low, it's impossible for it to be faster than my Crobat without something like Trick Room being in effect, and it's certainly not; I also don't see anything that would affect his speed in the field effect manual.

Edit: What is her Drifblim's ability? I can't find it documented anywhere, the wiki doesn't have her teams right. I assumed it was Flare Boost considering it burns itself, but I suppose if it's Unburden and there is for some reason no indication in battle when Unburden is activated, my confusion would be resolved.

1 hour ago, Enari said:

What is her Drifblim's ability? I can't find it documented anywhere, the wiki doesn't have her teams right. I assumed it was Flare Boost considering it burns itself, but I suppose if it's Unburden and there is for some reason no indication in battle when Unburden is activated, my confusion would be resolved.

Pretty sure its unburden, i forgot what drifblim held item is but im confident  its a seed

1 hour ago, fellowry said:

Pretty sure its unburden, i forgot what drifblim held item is but im confident  its a seed

If it is unburden (Doubles the user's speed when a held item is used), and of it is holding a seed, then that would explain why drifblim of all things is faster than your Crobat.

Yeah, it seems that that must be the case.

Fears abated, concerns dispelled, game remains challenging yet fair and enjoyable, and Narci beaten easily enough following some minor adaptations (plus Hypnosis finally missed, lmao). Thanks, y'all.