Brand New Fan Game Idea

So, in the time that the final (FuCK YES) reborn update is developing, I've started to think how hard it is to actually create a fan game. And I think that every great fan share these great qualities:

-Great, Immersive Story.

-Good Graphics and Spelling.

-Contents (side quests), Outstanding Soundtracks and the Level of Difficulty.

-New Mechanics and Overall Gameplay.

After reviewing each of these qualities (which games like Reborn and Rejuvenation excel on), I thought on making my own Pokemon Fan Game but then I landed on Planet Earth and remembered I don't know sh*t about making games or using Essentials or RPGX Maker. So to anyone out here in this community, including the Reborn Devs, and everyone to whom this may stumble upon, I think my idea of an Awesome Story is really original and I would love for someone to make my vision a reality, or even only listening to what my idea would be. So Ame or anyone out there whose looking to make a quality fan game but lacks a story, mine is for the taking. Tnx for reading.

• Upvote 1

My suggestion would be to make outlines of how you want the story to go, character profiles, even a simple timeline of scripted events. Draw a crude map with simple descriptions, wild pokemon intended to be available in each area, etc. The more you have planned out and roughly visualized, the easier it will be to flesh out details with respect to how you want the story and progression to go. Get the whole plot outlined first, then maybe tackle more complex stuff like new game mechanics for last. Work with the basics first, then consider how your intended alterations would affect everything and how that changes the balance and challenges in the game. It would be too easy to get bogged down in all those complicated nuances and not get anything at all done if you were trying to do it all at once. Build from the foundation up. Your lofty goals and challenges at the top will crumble to nothing if the basics at the bottom aren't covered and planned out well. Anyways, that's how I think I'd tackle that creative process but I don't have any of the actual experience doing so. Maybe @Ame or the other devs can give you tips on that. But certainly, I don't think anyone would be willing to help you do any of the hands-on game making until you have a cohesive, comprehensive plan for a game that they think they will enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

My suggestion would be to make outlines of how you want the story to go, character profiles, even a simple timeline of scripted events. Draw a crude map with simple descriptions, wild pokemon intended to be available in each area, etc. The more you have planned out and roughly visualized, the easier it will be to flesh out details with respect to how you want the story and progression to go. Get the whole plot outlined first, then maybe tackle more complex stuff like new game mechanics for last. Work with the basics first, then consider how your intended alterations would affect everything and how that changes the balance and challenges in the game. It would be too easy to get bogged down in all those complicated nuances and not get anything at all done if you were trying to do it all at once. Build from the foundation up. Your lofty goals and challenges at the top if the basics at the bottom aren't covered and planned out well. Anyways, that's how I think I'd tackle that creative process but I don't have any of the actual experience doing so. Maybe @Ame or the other devs can give you tips on that. But certainly, I don't think anyone would be willing to help you do any of the hands-on game making until you have a cohesive, comprehensive plan for a game that they think they will enjoy.

thanks a lot for your advice!!! i really appreciate your thoughts on this... will do!

Just a smol thought but since games are just one method of storytelling, you could try and see how your ideas would be plotted out by writing them in narrative form 😛 It might help you organize your thoughts and see if the story flows well or if it's unnatural etc

I think the advice you got above is excellent! So far you have a good idea for a story right? Build that idea into a very fleshed out outline by (my suggestion here) iterating through conflicts and characters. What sort of conflicts would break out and need resolution as a consequence of your plot's premise? What sort of characters would need to exist to facilitate the conflict? Then given those characters, what sort of conflicts would naturally arise as they try to accomplish their goals?

An example: an evil corporation sucks the planet's lifeforce and commodifies it as energy. The central conflict will be between the corporation's influence and the few who know about it. So we need corp security forces and eco terrorists. If the security force (might as well be a super soldier for fun) character hears what the terrorists have to say maybe he defects? So to maintain the conflict there has to be a more impressive super soldier on the side of the corporation. How did the corporation get super soldiers? As a matter of fact how are they manipulating the planet's energy? How will this affect the remaining super soldier? It won't be long until you find yourself with Final Fantasy 7. Might be a weak example actually I've never played it :[

Once you have your outline you can flesh out bits of the characters that aren't plot essential but add charm like senses of humor or mannerisms. Then you could start writing dialogue too. If you can do that well you have a better chance of recruiting collaborators onto your project.

Also don't neglect the setting! Describe the areas in which these conflicts happen in detail and make sure you go wild. Make interesting routes, towns, secret bases because the player explores these settings and should absolutely want to. Trees don't have to be green and the sky doesn't have to be blue. Nothing in the pokemon world should be mundane.

If you find yourself with a nice outline I'd be happy to read it and give you feedback if you want. Good luck

• Like 1

Everything said above me is great advice, however I think I could add a little some more. You say you have no idea how to make a fan game, but that doesn't mean you can't learn. Although it is a pretty daunting task there is a video series by Thundaga on Youtube that is probably the best source for learning how to create a game on your own (aside from the Pokemon Essentials wiki). There are a lot of episodes but you should seriously take a look since it seems you do have the drive to make this game yourself. Below I have linked episode 1, you should definitely check it out.

https://youtu.be/mlnzaEhH5cI

• Like 1