Shelly!

Lucifer Morningstar

How do I beat this bitch?!
She's a got a fucking move for EVERYTHING!

My initial team was:
Trubbish lvl. 35
Ducklett lvl. 35
Noibat. lvl. 34
Dustox lvl. 35
Charmeleon lvl. 35
Klink lvl. 34

The problem with this team was that none of it could withstand Anorith's Rock Slide. 
So I swapped out Dustox and Noibat for a Sandslash and a Graveler both level 34 but 3 of her Pokemon have water moves that sweep them too!
Even my trusty Toxic Spikes isn't helping! It doesn't even affect Yanmega! 

So what am I supposed to do?!
This is making me want to throw my laptop against the wall (though not really because it was expensive).

Edited by Verge Of Chaos

The solution to your problem is an easy one:

Shelly has 2 Pokémon that use Rain Dance. Those are Illumise, who has Prankster ability, and Araquanid. If you can take both of them out before they can act you won't have any problem. Illumise will always be one of the two she starts with, so we need a little preparation:

Step 1: Catch an Espurr in Lapis Ward Backalleys. That's where the Aqua Gang hideout is. You don't need to join a gang, just run a round in what little space you have there to find wild Pokémon. Espurr should learn Fake Out at Level 19, which you want to have.

Step 2: Get the Mareep in Jasper Ward. You can get it by going into the house on the right of the Pokémon-Center and talk to the man who runs around in panic. After that you walk all the way to the east as if you were going to Beryl Ward. There is a path south there and in one of the houses you'll find Mareep. Feed it PokéSnax and it's yours. Train Mareep so you have an Ampharos Make sure it learns Thunder Punch on evolution. Train Ampharos to Level 35 to learn Power Gem.

Step 3: Get some healing items and save right before Shelly, just in case.

Step 4: Start the battle with your Charmeleon and Espurr (Meowstic, if you trained it). Have Meowstic use Fake Out on Illumise on the first turn and make sure Charmeleon uses its strongest fire Move to kill Illumise on Turn one as well.

Step 5: Keep Charmeleon alive, but let Espurr/Meowstic go down. Easiest way to do that is not training Espurr after capturing it. As long as it knows Fake Out you are good for this fight.

Step 6: Bring out Ampharos once Espurr/Meowstic goes down and tear through her team. Power Gem hits everything very effective, including Anorith, since rock type Pokémon doesn't resist rock type attacks. Thunder Punch is for Araquanid.

I will guarantee that this strategy works 100%.

40 minutes ago, ShogokiX said:

21 minutes ago, ShogokiX said:

The solution to your problem is an easy one:

Shelly has 2 Pokémon that use Rain Dance. Those are Illumise, who has Prankster ability, and Araquanid. If you can take both of them out before they can act you won't have any problem. Illumise will always be one of the two she starts with, so we need a little preparation:

Step 1: Catch an Espurr in Lapis Ward Backalleys. That's where the Aqua Gang hideout is. You don't need to join a gang, just run a round in what little space you have there to find wild Pokémon. Espurr should learn Fake Out at Level 19, which you want to have.

Step 2: Get the Mareep in Jasper Ward. You can get it by going into the house on the right of the Pokémon-Center and talk to the man who runs around in panic. After that you walk all the way to the east as if you were going to Beryl Ward. There is a path south there and in one of the houses you'll find Mareep. Feed it PokéSnax and it's yours. Train Mareep so you have an Ampharos Make sure it learns Thunder Punch on evolution. Train Ampharos to Level 35 to learn Power Gem.

Step 3: Get some healing items and save right before Shelly, just in case.

Step 4: Start the battle with your Charmeleon and Espurr (Meowstic, if you trained it). Have Meowstic use Fake Out on Illumise on the first turn and make sure Charmeleon uses its strongest fire Move to kill Illumise on Turn one as well.

Step 5: Keep Charmeleon alive, but let Espurr/Meowstic go down. Easiest way to do that is not training Espurr after capturing it. As long as it knows Fake Out you are good for this fight.

Step 6: Bring out Ampharos once Espurr/Meowstic goes down and tear through her team. Power Gem hits everything very effective, including Anorith, since rock type Pokémon doesn't resist rock type attacks. Thunder Punch is for Araquanid.

I will guarantee that this strategy works 100%.

A couple of things:
1. The Fake Out technique is meant to stop Illumise from using Rain Dance, but you said Araquanid also uses Rain Dance. Do I need to be concerned about that? 
2. There is a potential problem with using Charmeleon as a lead. She starts with Masqurain alongside Illumise which knows bubble beam. 

(Side note: I don't know what the deal is with the quote box, this happened to a post of mine in the Ttar thread as well)

Edited by Verge Of Chaos

32 minutes ago, Verge Of Chaos said:

A couple of things:
1. The Fake Out technique is meant to stop Illumise from using Rain Dance, but you said Araquanid also uses Rain Dance. Do I need to be concerned about that? 
2. There is a potential problem with using Charmeleon as a lead. She starts with Masqurain alongside Illumise which knows bubble beam. 

(Side note: I don't know what the deal is with the quote box, this happened to a post of mine in the Ttar thread as well)

To answer your questions:

1. Only Illumise has the Prankster ability. With Prankster you get higher priority on non damaging moves (like Rain Dance), but Fake Out is faster than that. Araquanid doesn't have Prankster, so as long as your Pokémon outspeeds it you are fine. And a level 35 Ampharos should be able to outspeed a level 31 Araquanid.

2. Yes, Masquerain knows Bubble Beam. However, if you keep Espurr untrained, Masquerain should try to kill Espurr first. Also, even IF Masquerain goes for Charmeleon, a level 35 Charmeleon should easily be able to take a single Bubble Beam from a Level 31 Masquerain, as long as it's not raining and the move won't crit.

You can however lead with Ampharos instead of Charmeleon, if that makes you feel safer. In that case you simply use Power Gem on the first turn on Illumise, togeher with Espurrs Fake Out of course. As long as you let Espurr go down after it used Fake Out on Illumise, and you have Charmeleon and Ampharos out you will destroy Shelly easily.

There is also the option to level your Charmeleon to Level 36, so it evolves into Charizard, and use a common candy to bring it back to level 35. And Charizard will wreck havoc for sure XD

Edited by ShogokiX

Alright, I'll give it a go. 
I've already got the Mareep (which I feel a bit bad about since apparently we stole it from that poor frantic dude), so it's just a matter of catching an Espurr and leveling them up. 

It's ironic. I just recently overwrote Fake Out on my Meowth with Pay Day. I very nearly didn't need to bother with an Espurr. Oh well. 

Edited by Verge Of Chaos

You may want to evolve it to be a Prankster dual screener, that much is for sure. You have two options now:

1.) Don't train it right now and use it as it is for Shelly, so it gets downed fast. You can start training it after you beat Shelly.

2.) Train it to level 35 and make sure it knows Light Screen and Reflect, to use it as a dual screener from turn 2 onwards after you used Fake Out on Illumise on turn 1. After Illumise got downed and you got both screens up you should be able to swap Meowstic out manually to get both Ampharos and Charizard into the fight.

However, i would recommend for you to catch a female Espurr as well, since female Meowstic does pack quite a punch until you get one of those REALLY strong psychic types later....

Edited by ShogokiX

Not exactly. 

I evolved my Charmeleon to Charizard and common candied it and got Ampheros to level 35 but ShogokiX's 100% guaranteed strategy is NOT working beyond the fake out part. 
Bubble beam, rock slide and now ancient power are still sweeping me and I can't one-hit KO araquanid before it uses its damn rain dance!
The moves that don't one-hit KO me, which is pretty much just bubble beam on Charizard and Rock Slide on Ampheros have me wasting a lot of turns on lemonades and super potions and she has at least two hyper potions though she's not used them often.
What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate a challenge that surpasses the canon games but this battle is infuriatingly ridiculous. It's borderline unfair!

The thing is though, I find her to be a pretty cute character and her AI seems to be impressively aware. 
When I first started, she'd send out either Anaroth or Heather after Illumise and it wasn't until the SECOND time I used the fake out tactic that she changed and started following illumise with araquanid as though I took her off guard the first time but she learned and adapted even though I don't let the game register me whiting out because I shut it off as my last Pokemon is going down (or after I lose both Charizard and Amphorose since I started this strategy).

BTW, I'm not a dude. 

Edited by Verge Of Chaos

Hmm......my strategy is not working for you? That's something entirely new.....i always beat her just like that. Did so about a week ago on my newest playthrough.....

Charizard should one hit KO everything except Anorith. Maybe you do want to use male Meowstic for dual screening and if Araquanid is that much of a Problem, there is another solution for that one. Requires a few more Pokémon though.

For Araquanid, there is a Pichu in the Onyx Ward. In one of the houses you can go up on the roof and find a Pichu during daytime if the weather is clear. This Pichu is level 9, but it has a chance to know Volt Tackle, so save before you try to catch it. Pichu is hiding behind a tree and you need to have PokéSnax.

1628872521_Screen067.jpg.78f49610507d95b6d379f5f1a38f319c.jpg

With that trained as a Pikachu one Volt Tackle should deal with Araquanid.

As for the rest of your team: If Anorith is still a problem, try capturing a Mankey in Obsidia Ward Slums. Primeape is fast and Cross Chop hits hard.

For everything else: There is a Growlithe you can get from the police station if you found all police men in Jasper and Beryl Wards. It learns Flame Thrower at level 34.

Also you could capture either a Spearow/Fearow and use its Aerial Ace or go with a Doduo, evolve that to Dodrio and use Pluck.

I'm on a long hiatus from the game (for 1 year total now) waiting for E19, but I'll try to be of some help.

- The problematic thing about this fight is the Forest field. You can try get Growlithe (Flame Burst) or Numel -> Camerupt (Lava Plume); these attacks will change it to a burning field and take the edge off Struggle Bug and boost your fire moves. At that point it becomes a matter of roasting Shelly's team.

- If you've got some seeds, they could be of use too

- You can also find an Emolga in Jasper Ward as an event on windy or clear days IIRC. Give it a seed and let it have fun with Acrobatics (Lv. 30). It should be able to outspeed most of her mons, but take care of Anorith as soon as it comes out.

I vaguely remember having saved all the cops and got my Growlithe. Aside from that, I just stacked up on as much anti-bugs as possible, like Pyroar (I allowed Litleo to get to 36 to get Flamethrower, then CC'd it) and Camerupt.

With your team, I find Ducklett and Trubbish are too weak in their base forms.

No offense if you already knew, but Araquanid is a huge special tank, so physical attacks are ideal when hitting it.

WOOT!
At last, I beat her!

I believe what made something of a difference was that the first several times I used the fake out tactic, Espurr would be left with 1HP after struggle bug and then taking a hit from the burning field created by my Charizard's Flame Burst and I'd switch it out for Ampharos. 

This time, Espurr was knocked out before I had a chance to switch it out. So when I send out Ampharos, I was able to take out Araquanid before it could rain dance with Charizard's wing attack and Ampharos's Power Gem. 
Heather's Ancient Power KOed Charizard but Ampharos was able to continue the sweep with support from Trubbish and Ducklett and the burning field which remained intact for the entire battle did a lot of residual damage to Volbeat. 

Big thanx to everyone in this thread for all the help. 

"I'm still not good enough, I guess I'll never live up to his [her brother Bugsy's] expectations."

Shit girl, you make Bugsy look like a bug catcher!

Man after this I am NOT looking forward to the Elite 4!

16 hours ago, Metadeth said:

- You can also find an Emolga in Jasper Ward as an event on windy or clear days IIRC. Give it a seed and let it have fun with Acrobatics (Lv. 30). It should be able to outspeed most of her mons, but take care of Anorith as soon as it comes out.

I noticed that Emolga but how do you get to it? 

Also, I found all the Police officers as well but still have to claim the Growlithe. I'll do that as I make my way back to the Beryl Cemetary now. 

I've been watching Ttar's Nuzlocke at pace with my playthrough and am very interested so to see how he manages this battle!

Edited by Verge Of Chaos
  • Like 1

Wait..

You do realise that trubbish evolves at level 36 ?

Actually I think you get Swanna at lv 35...

Well whatever

Congrats Verge of Chaos

This is one of many reborn leaders you won’t have to suffer anymore.

6 minutes ago, Anti-loser said:

You do realise that trubbish evolves at level 36 ?

Actually I think you get Swanna at lv 35...

I did not, well shit. 
I had just enough common candies to cover them as well, I had 3 and used one on Charizard. 
Ah well. 

I realized that allowing Espurr to be KOed was something ShogoKix had said to do that I was neglecting. I didn't think it would make much of a difference.

If letting Espurr get KOed hadn't worked then I would have tried your rainbow field tactic. 

Hahahaha! Yeah, i said to let Espurr go down in order to bring out Ampharos. But hey, in the end my strategy worked for you, just like i promised^^

Well, your Charizard did go down, but that tends to happen when facing a Yanmega using Ancient Power if you have a dual weakness. On the other hand, since you did have Ampharos and 3 other mons that was no problem. Charizards main objective in my strategy was to get rid of Illumise, set the field on fire, and after that take down as many mons as possible. Ampharos was the main sweeper though, since it has no weakness in this gym and Power Gem is strong. Your other Mons were there to support Ampharos and pop healing items if needed.

6 hours ago, ShogokiX said:

Hahahaha! Yeah, i said to let Espurr go down in order to bring out Ampharos. But hey, in the end my strategy worked for you, just like i promised^^

Yes, it did and I greatly appreciate it. 

6 hours ago, ShogokiX said:

Well, your Charizard did go down, but that tends to happen when facing a Yanmega using Ancient Power if you have a dual weakness. On the other hand, since you did have Ampharos and 3 other mons that was no problem. Charizards main objective in my strategy was to get rid of Illumise, set the field on fire, and after that take down as many mons as possible. Ampharos was the main sweeper though, since it has no weakness in this gym and Power Gem is strong. Your other Mons were there to support Ampharos and pop healing items if needed.

Exactly. 

On 10/21/2019 at 11:01 AM, Verge Of Chaos said:

I noticed that Emolga but how do you get to it? 

Also, I found all the Police officers as well but still have to claim the Growlithe. I'll do that as I make my way back to the Beryl Cemetary now. 

I've been watching Ttar's Nuzlocke at pace with my playthrough and am very interested so to see how he manages this battle!

Welp, just disregard this

If you are still looking for Emolga go to Jasper Ward and go where the Pokémon-Center is located there. From the Pokémon-Center you go south a few steps and cut down this tree on the picture. Weather needs to be clear and you gotta do this during daytime. Emolga is just behind that and you must fight it to capture it.

937441746_Screen074.jpg.003a57d941fa46e16c06d57e1a8fd90e.jpg