[THEORY] International Police Files: The Dark Truth About Modern Pokemon!

Tringus

Greetings, Trainers.  Agent Trevore here.  Yes, I know it has been a while since I have been here, but I have been paying very close attention to Pokémon and the upcoming games Pokémon Sword and Shield.  Even though it has been a while playing the games, I cannot help but think something darker is beneath the surface.  What surface do I speak of?  Look around...  Cross-Generational Evolution of Pokémon in Gen 4 (And of course, Gens 2 and 3), Mega Evolution in Gen 6, and even Regional Variants of Pokémon in not only Gen 7, but Gen 8 as well.  One could even say that Dynamaxing and Gigantimaxing could be a part of this.  To a lesser extent, one could also say that Z-Moves could be a part of this dark truth, but personally, I think that those serve a higher purpose...  However, it might not be too far off.  Regardless, the following information that I am about to tell you may be shocking.  You may begin to question why Game Freak would even continue to make new mechanics like these.  However, I believe that this is the truth behind the phrase "It All Comes Together".

First, let us take a look at cross-generational evolutions and regional variants.  Cross-generational evolutions are when Pokémon of previous generations undergo an evolution beyond what was believed to be their final evolutions.  For example, In the Kanto region, it was originally believed that a Zubat could only evolve into a Golbat, and nothing more.  In the Hoenn region, it was originally believed that Roselia would only be a Roselia, and nothing more.  However, in the Johto region, Golbat could evolve into a Crobat, and in the Sinnoh region, not only could Roselia evolve into a Roserade, but could also be bred and reproduce Budew.  Some might ask "How is this possible?"  or "Why in Arceus' name did we get BUDEW of all things?"  Well, I am about to tell you.  You could say that Game Freak wanted to revitalize the series by bringing back cross-generational evolutions, and that is most likely one of the reasons.  Because of cross-generational evolutions, we have received amazing evolutions of old Pokémon.  To this day, Honchkrow is one of my favorites, and I even have mine, Falcone.  One could say that Baby Pokémon such as Budew were also a result of this idea of cross-generational evolutions.  That, I have no doubt is true.

Regional variants, however, have recently surfaced in the Alola and Galar regions.  Regional variants are when older Pokémon go to a certain region and adapt, changing into a different form.  For example, Exeggutor might be short outside of the Alola region, but can be really, really long and huge inside the Alola region.  In Galar, regional variants have undergone evolutions of their own, as Linoone in the Galar region, for example, can evolve into a completely new Pokémon, such as Obstagoon.  However, what is very strange, is that Pokémon such as Farfetched (Who does not currently have a Galarian variant) can evolve into a new Pokémon as well, called Sirfetched.  However, a Linoone that is outside of the Galar region cannot evolve into its own variant of Obstagoon.  It was not until a major discovery in the Kalos region were Pokémon allowed to evolve even beyond what they have become.

Next, let us dive into mega evolution.  Mega evolution is a type of evolution in the Kalos and Hoenn regions that Pokémon undergo with the use of a mega key (such a mega ring, mega bracelet, etc.) and mega stone, when the bond between trainer and Pokémon is strong, transforming Pokémon into stronger versions of themselves, enhancing their stats, and even changing their abilities and/or types. The energy that flows from mega evolution is said to be the life essence between trainer and Pokémon.  For example, a Ralts can evolve into a Kirlia, and then Gardevoir or Gallade, and nothing more.  However, because of mega evolution, both Gardevoir and Gallade can mega evolve into stronger versions of themselves.  However, this form of evolution is temporary, as Pokémon that undergo mega evolution revert to their normal states at the end of a battle.  It is believed that Rayquaza is the first Pokémon seen to have undergone this transformation, when humanity met Rayquaza for the first time.  Some, however, like Charizard and Mewtwo, can actually have two different mega evolutions as well.  Mega evolutions can enhance a Pokémon’s power in terms of appearance, stats, and type changes, but what about moves?

Z-Moves.  Z-Moves are a type of move in the Alola region in which a trainer and Pokémon become one in mind and body and unleash a powerful attack that is made of the power of both trainer and Pokémon.  They are devastating attacks that use the full strength of not only Pokémon, but trainers as well.  To use a Z-Move, one must have a Z-Ring, and a Z-Crystal.  To master it, requires a strong bond between trainer and Pokémon.  Any Pokémon can use Z-Moves, but only some can use specific Z-Crystals.  In addition, Pokémon can use this on specific moves (such as status moves) to enhance said moves.  While mega evolution changes appearances and stats, Z-moves make moves stronger.  What is a good balance between the two?

Dynamaxing and Gigantimaxing are two of the newest phenomena that occur in the Galar region.  Both are temporary transformations in which Pokémon can grow into gargantuan sizes and supercharging their moves and stats in battle.  The difference between Dynamaxing and Gigantimaxing, however, is that Gigantimax Pokémon change their appearances as well, as well as use G-Max Moves, which are new, exclusive moves in comparison to Max Moves, which are just supercharged versions of regular moves.  Not much else is known about these strange phenomena, but their existence is proof enough of a theory that I have been coming up with...

In recent events, we have been tracking down a threat that has resurfaced after nearly fifteen years or being shut down.  New organizations like Team Yell and Team Skull have nothing on these guys.  But first, let me ask you this.  How many of you know what these are?

Shadow Pokémon.  Scourges of the Pokémon World.  Shadow Pokémon are Pokémon that are corrupted into monsters of darkness, used for wrongful acts.  Their creation involves in artificially closing their hearts and removing their emotions, a process that was administered and carried out by the organization known as Cipher of the Orre region.  With the help of Team Snagem, the organization that would capture and steal Pokémon, Cipher would create these weapons of destruction, distribute them to various colosseums, and have them fight in illegitimate competitions.  However, these Shadow Pokémon are biologically the exact opposite of normal Pokémon.  Instead of normally being docile and friendly, Shadow Pokémon will not hesitate to go full force on their attacks, which are modified to be much stronger than a normal Pokémon move.  Moves such as Shadow Rush and Shadow Blitz, for example, are super effective against every type of Pokémon, but are not very effective against each other.  Shadow Pokémon would not only attack other Pokémon, but they would attack trainers themselves.

Despite their raw power, Shadow Pokémon do have their weaknesses.  Shadow Pokémon are unstable and can undergo what is known as Hyper Mode or Reverse Mode, depending on what game it is, a frenzy where they hurt themselves, and disobey orders, along with various other actions.  There are a few differences, but one thing is known is that when one breaks it from Hyper Mode and Reverse Mode, it opens the heart of the Shadow Pokémon by a little bit.  Once a Shadow Pokémon’s heart is fully open, it can undergo purification, which is done from the use of the Relic Stone, a Time Flute, or the Purification Machine from Pokémon HQ, that was in development.  However, five years after the dormancy of Shadow Pokémon, Shadow Pokémon were refined.  Project XD001, known as Shadow Lugia, was the first Shadow Pokémon to be modified to the extent where it was nearly impossible to be purified, and was the first to be created under Project XD, a Shadow Pokémon project in which Cipher plotted to create an army of Shadow Pokémon that were purification-proof.  However, Project XD001 was undone with the use of the Purification Machine, and after the Cipher Key Lair and Citadark Isle were shut down, Shadow Pokémon were put to an end.  Or so we thought...

Years after Cipher’s defeat, a Mewtwo that was in the Ferrum region was corrupted by a strange stone called the Shadow Synergy Stone and became known as Shadow Mewtwo.  Like XD001, Shadow Mewtwo was also corrupted, and had dark alterations compared to its normal self.  The Shadow Synergy Stone was opposite of Synergy Stones of the region, as it corrupted Mewtwo to serve its own needs.  Shadow Mewtwo traveled across Ferrum, draining Gaia power from synergy stones and continually increasing its own power.  Being one of the most powerful Pokémon in existence, the thought of Mewtwo being corrupted by a similar darkness that corrupted Lugia was dangerous to even think about.  We even had reports that it could Mega Evolve as well, evolving into what we call Shadow Mewtwo-X, becoming twice as terrifying with even more twisted alterations.  Shadow Mewtwo even made its own corrupted realm, and our team tried to analyze what that field was made of.  Before we could send our Shadow Pokémon Snag Squad to neutralize the threat, it seems to have resolved when Mewtwo reverted to its normal state, free of any corruption it once had.  We currently do not know if it could have been purified via the Relic Stone, a Time Flute, or even the Purification Machine, but since it did have alterations similar to Lugia when it was XD001, we decided to call Mewtwo XD002, since it was the second known Pokémon to be corrupted to the point of no redemption of purification.  With these two XD Shadow Pokémon, we keep asking ourselves: Who is Cipher, and what exactly was their plans with Shadow Pokémon?

At the time of Shadow Pokémon’s beginnings, Cipher was an organization that was administered by four individuals: The eccentric dance loving Miror B, the brute enforcer Dakim, pop idol “Lady” Venus, and Cipher’s cold and calculated head scientist, Ein.  Ein would create the Shadow Pokémon in a facility in a previously unknown location in the desert, and Venus would use an underground subway train in The Under, used to take Shadow Pokémon from the Shadow Pokémon Lab to The Under, where Venus would distribute them alongside Miror B. to winners of the Under Colosseum and Pyrite Colosseum respectively.  Dakim, however, seemed to be the enforcer and muscle out of the four admins.  They tried as hard as they could to keep the Shadow Pokémon project running smoothly, such as kidnapping and silencing those who could see Shadow Pokémon (a young girl named Rui, for example), trying to destroy the Relic Stone to prevent purification of Shadow Pokémon, and many more atrocities.  The four admins answered to their chief executive, Nascour.  However, once Nascour was defeated at Realgam Tower (Which served as the headquarters of Cipher at the time), it was revealed that a short, unnatural-looking man by the name of Evice was the man pulling the strings, disguised as Phenac City Mayor Es Cade.

We were able to recover Ein’s files, thanks to Agents Wes and Rui.  How is a former member of Team Snagem a member of the International Police, you might ask?  Well, after blowing up Team Snagem’s base and putting a stop to Evice’s plans with the Snag Machine, headquarters sent them an invitation to join.  They along with Agent Michael, who stopped Cipher for good, are the leaders of the Shadow Pokémon Snag Squad.  Like Wes and Rui, Michael also received an invitation to join the International Police, since Cipher was not just an organization in Orre.  Cipher is much larger than just Orre.

Five years after Cipher’s defeat in the Orre region, Cipher seemed to have returned, with all new admins.  Dakim, Venus, and Ein were nowhere to be found, and with Nascour and Evice behind bars, someone else was pulling the strings.  As for Miror B, he left Cipher and became a wanderer, trying to form his own gang, Team Miror.  Cipher was now administrated by Lovrina, Snattle, and Gorrigan.  Lovrina was Cipher’s new Research and Development team, while Snattle was aiming to be Cipher’s political leader.  Gorrigan, although he seemed to look very dull, was smart enough to run Cipher Key Lair, Cipher’s factory that manufactured Shadow Pokémon.  Together, the trio worked to try and make XD Shadow Pokémon.  First, Professor Krane from the Pokémon HQ Lab was kidnapped and taken to the abandoned Shadow Pokémon Lab on Lovrina’s orders, so she could try and force him to help perfect XD001.  After that plan failed, Snattle launched a full assault on Phenac City, kidnapping every citizen and locking them all in the basement of Phenac City’s Pre-Gym.  This was done for Gorrigan and his team to go to the wreckage of S.S. Libra and kidnap the remaining Pokémon that were there without any interruptions.  Once they succeeded their mission, they retreated to Cipher Key Lair, where they manufactured as many Shadow Pokémon as they could before the factory was shut down by Michael.  However, this was where Cipher’s true leaders were revealed, as the Grandmaster Greevil (Formerly known as Mr. Verich to many) and his bodyguards, Ardos and Eldes, were the ones behind Cipher’s return.  After Michael captured Shadow Lugia and defeated Greevil at Citadark Isle, Cipher’s true headquarters, Ardos wanted Greevil to blow up the entire island.  However, Eldes, who revealed himself and Ardos to be Greevil’s two sons, pleaded with his father not to, as he knows that they have already lost.  Greevil eventually accepted defeat, and Cipher was disbanded.  With Ardos’ threat to rebuild Cipher, we are still waiting for that day to come.  With Dragonite reportedly being the last Shadow Pokemon Cipher produced, the Shadow Pokémon project was put to an end (Unless you count Shadow Mewtwo).  However, we did find something very disturbing…

We have acquired a serum of what is known as “R”.  The scientists at headquarters say that R is a purple substance that when used on Pokémon, it makes them temporarily violent.  This substance is also said to be made from the cells of Mewtwo, and the reason why Pokémon become violent is because of Mewtwo’s Berserk Gene.  When under the effects of R, the Pokémon's eyes will turn red, and then is unable to listen to its Trainer’s commands. After it wears off, the Pokémon affected by R is left weak and tired, unable to remember what happened while in its berserk state.  Purple gas-like aura, and red eyes…  We have seen this sort of thing in Shadow Pokémon, but how does it connect today?  R is also an interesting name…  And the fact that it stems from Mewtwo?  This can only mean one thing…

That’s right, Team Rocket.  This year, Team Rocket was able to get their hands on the schematics of Shadow Pokémon, that which has not been seen for many years.  What makes these Shadow Pokémon different than the ones Cipher produced, are the fact that their black-purple aura is visibly known to everyone, and their red eyes.  In addition, instead of knowing Shadow Moves, they only know Frustration as a supercharged attack, making it seem like Team Rocket’s formula for Shadow Pokémon is much weaker than Cipher’s.  The fact that their visible appearances and how they behave are strikingly like Shadow Pokémon and Pokémon that are affected by R, there are connections to be made.  Mewtwo, for example, is generally a Pokémon whose creation is often associated with Team Rocket.  Mewtwo even received two Mega Evolutions in the Kalos region!  Since Mewtwo was also a Shadow Pokémon at one point, who is to say that Shadow Pokémon are not returning?  After all, Ardos might be involved, if his threat is to be carried out.  If he is, we will be ready for it.  I do have another theory regarding to Team Rocket and Cipher, but that theory is for another day since this is probably dragging on for as long as it has already.

Now, I know you might be wondering.  “Why is an agent of the International Police telling me all of this information?”  That is because “It all comes together.”  If my theory is to be believed, then almost every new mechanic we have seen; post-gen 3 Cross-generational evolutions, mega evolutions, regional variants, etc. are all connected to Shadow Pokémon.  How, you may ask?  Well, imagine what happens after a Shadow Pokémon is purified…  They receive moves that they normally do not learn.  For example, when XD001 was purified and reverted to Lugia, it learned Psycho Boost, a move that was normally learned by Deoxys.  However, whether Cipher obtained a Deoxys prior the Shadow Pokémon incidents remains to be seen, but who knows.  What I am trying to get at is that these moves may have caused unintentional mutations in the Pokémon that were once Shadow Pokémon.  By extension, this could mean that Pokémon that were once Shadow Pokémon may have received unintentional mutations as a result of being Shadow Pokémon.  In addition, most of the Pokémon that received cross-generational evolutions, mega evolutions, and regional variants were once Shadow Pokémon in some way, whether it be a Pokémon from a family line, or whatever else the case may be.  For example, Murkrow and Misdreavus were Shadow Pokémon, but later, it was discovered in the Sinnoh region that they could evolve into Honchkrow and Mismagius respectively.  Roselia is another example, as Roselia could not only evolve into Roserade, but it was also discovered that it could breed Budew, and Roselia was once a Shadow Pokémon.  Manectric is an example of a Pokémon that while it did not receive an evolution, it did receive a mega evolution in the Kalos region, while Beedrill, as another example, received a mega evolution in the Hoenn region.  I am not saying that Cipher experimented on Rayquaza to achieve mega evolution, but who knows, it could be possible.  In the Alola League, Pokémon such as Raticate and Exeggutor (who were once Shadow Pokémon as well), received what was recently discovered to be regional variants.  Even Z-Moves could be said to connect to Shadow Pokémon, since they are both powerful moves that are used at full-strength, but again, I would consider Z-Moves to be part of a different theory in mind.  We currently do not know much about Dynamaxing and Gigantimaxing, or how many different forms of Pokémon there might be.  However, near Ryme City, there was a facility the contained gigantic Torterra.  Despite Torterra never being a Shadow Pokémon previously, one could however say that this experimentation was the predecessor of Dynamaxing and Gigantimaxing.  Even the return of Shadow Pokémon in the form of Shadow Mewtwo, the R substance made from Mewtwo, Mewtwo and Team Rocket, and the Shadow Pokémon that Team Rocket has produced also connects with Shadow Pokémon that were produced by Cipher, showing that Cipher could still be dangerously at large.

Now, I know that you may think of all of this to be a bit… Farfetch’d, dare I say.  Farfetch’d, who was also a Shadow Pokémon, also received a cross-generational evolution, but in the form of Galarian Evolution, much like the Galarian Zigzagoon line.  However, instead of being an evolution of a Galarian Farfetch’d, it is an evolution of the original Farfetch’d.  You might be asking me, “What about Pokémon that got new forms that were not Shadow Pokémon?”  Again, you could say that the mutations that came from Shadow Pokémon were unintentional, as I am not even sure if Cipher was aware of what they had done when creating them in the first place.  One could say that the darkness that stems from Shadow Pokémon is like a virus.  Pokerus, if you will.  Viruses can spread, like a disease.  Even the R substance in Ryme City could spread, and how Pokémon behaved there seems very similar to how Team Rocket’s Shadow Pokémon behave.  Another might say that there are Shadow Pokémon that were never shown to the public eye.  Take Porygon-2 for example.  In some recovered files that we found, Pokémon such as Porygon-2, Kecleon, Castform, and Minun were to be Shadow Pokémon.  Who is to say that Pokémon such as Chimecho, Steelix, Raichu, or Zigzagoon might not have been a Shadow Pokémon?  Again, Cipher was a huge organization, and had multiple branches.  They did not just have the branch in Orre, I assure you.  Who knows, maybe Cipher intends to rise once again in the future with even more Shadow Pokémon.

With all the pieces coming together, I think it would be safe to say that we could see more of Shadow Pokémon in the future, and not in the real world.  I must go back to headquarters and report my findings but be careful out there.  You can never really tell what a Pokémon is and what is a Shadow Pokémon unless you have a Snag Machine with an Aura Reader.  Currently, headquarters only allows those who are high-ranking members of the International Police to have Snag Machines since they could fall into the hands of evil.  However, I just might convince the Director to be more lenient for those who have good hearts, and have Wes and Rui produce some more Snag Machines.  Below will be my sources at how I came to my theory.  Until next time, stay safe, Trainers!

Agent Trevore, signing off.

Sources:

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shadow_Pok%C3%A9mon

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Shadow_Pok%C3%A9mon

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cipher

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_with_cross-generational_evolutions

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Regional_variant

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Baby_Pok%C3%A9mon

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_with_branched_evolutions

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mega_Evolution

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Z-Move

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dynamax

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gigantamax

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cipher

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/R

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shadow_Pok%C3%A9mon_(GO)

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Comprehensive_Laboratory

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mewtwo_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Team_Rocket

·         https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Team_GO_Rocket

• Like 1