Why do some characters refuse to fight ?

GGLL

In pokemon reborn, there are some characters who constantly refuse to defend themselves against people like Blake and Sigmund, despite the fact that they posses pokemon more powerful than the ones the others are carrying. Sigmund in particular is a reapeat offender, strong-arming Heather and any of the orphanage kids during the raid at Laura's home. Blake also did the same against Heather and Team Meteor Grunts kidnnaped everyone at the tunnel except for Cain, even though they were all more powerful than them combined. Why does that keep happening ? Do some characters just refuse to fight back or something, because that has never been outright explained in-game. 

Unrelated, but good luck to the developers and have a nice rest. No need to push yourselves too hard.

• Global Mods

I would say it's a mix of factors.

a) Levels are only loosely canon at best, necessary for gameplay but often don't reflect that accurately on story, so you can't really judge relative power levels around them, especially when they're seen at different points in the story.

b) Defending against criminals would be a very different ballgame to the standard rule-abiding battles they have experience with. They're dealing with things like being attacked directly and people trying to prevent them from sending out pokemon in the first place. And it's amplified by the fact that most of them are kids/teenagers. I guess you could think of it like a 12 year old with a handgun defending against a burgler with a knife who's broken into their home and taken them by surprise.

c) It's somewhat just required to tell an interesting game story that the player is involved in. It would be pretty underwhelming if you just wandered around the city and heard about gym leaders beating up meteor people on TV.

It's also heavily implied that dr bdsm managed to traumatize those children with his passion for aimless torture.
Psychological constraints are a very real and very powerful thing.... think for example how elephants or dogs won't turn on their owners even when mistreated (unless pushed way too far).

• Hmm 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/3/2019 at 8:31 PM, Egzample said:

Wasnt there a dialogue (Sapphira?) saying that opposing legal authority like Connal would bring only more trouble on the kids?

While I like almost everything about Pokemon Reborn, there are two things I hate in this game, and this is one of them.

So the evil doctor is playing "I follow the law and if you resist, you will get arrested."

But the thing is, when you join forces with criminal organization, Team Meteor, that is known for blowing up trains, poluting water, anihilating parts of town, murdering people, causing havoc and so on, your legal authority goes out the window.

I also question why subordinates of the doctor so willingly joined team meteor despite most likely being aware of all the havoc and murder that has been happening because of them. Law abiding workers don't just team up with hardened criminals and be chill about it. They either try to escape the first chance they get or are constantly sweating in fear over the situation they got themselves in.

On 10/3/2019 at 12:03 AM, Dreamy said:

b) Defending against criminals would be a very different ballgame to the standard rule-abiding battles they have experience with. They're dealing with things like being attacked directly and people trying to prevent them from sending out pokemon in the first place. And it's amplified by the fact that most of them are kids/teenagers. I guess you could think of it like a 12 year old with a handgun defending against a burgler with a knife who's broken into their home and taken them by surprise.

While I agree with this logic, it doesn't realy help that in anime and games, kids and teenages seems to handle criminal organizations just fine. I suppose Pokemon Reborn deserves some pros for not abusing it and going into more realistic rotue instead. Though there is always option of kids sending out their pokemon, telling them to guard the house against attacking criminals before hiding inside. This way defensers gets more firepower while kids are hidden. (Seems better than keeping their pokemon and not using them anyway).