Help with metagross

Blue eyes

This would be my recommendation:

252 attack / 252 hp / 4 def

252 evs in attack allow metagross to hit as hard as possible and 252 evs in hp allow it to tank as many hits as possible, since it's not fast enough to outspeed that many pokemon. The remaining evs are put into defense to further increase it's bulk.

Bullet Punch (stab, priority move, accessible by level up)

Zen Headbutt (stab, accessible by level up)

Meteor Mash / Ice Punch (Meteor Mash if you want a better stab move than bullet punch, accessible by level up. Ice Punch if you want coverage, accessible by move tutor)

Thunder Punch / Rock Slide (Both are coverage moves. Thunder Punch is accessible by move tutor and Rock Slide by tm)

(Also, an ideal nature for a pokemon is pretty important and can really make a difference. Metagross's ideal nature would be adamant. If you don't have that, you can change the nature of your pokemon in 7th Street for 3 heart scales.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For now the above post is definitely what I'd recommend. 

When the megastone for metagross is eventually released though you can change it up a bit if you want. Mega metagross is incredibly fast, so you could give it a Jolly nature potentially to make it a bit faster, or you could just keep the Adamant nature. With the extra speed you could invest EVs into speed to create a still somewhat bulky, but also pretty speedy attacker with a spread like 252 Atk/252 Speed/ 4HP. I'd still recommend the the set with Adamant, max HP and max attack investment even for Mega Metagross though.

You could try to jump on smogon and grab different EV spreads, but you really need to keep in mind that this is Reborn, not the smogon ladder. Some of those spreads don't even have a purpose in reborn. 

But this is all stuff for late game, when E19 is finally released. It might even be post game really.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pvstelsouls said:

This would be my recommendation:

252 attack / 252 hp / 4 def

252 evs in attack allow metagross to hit as hard as possible and 252 evs in hp allow it to tank as many hits as possible, since it's not fast enough to outspeed that many pokemon. The remaining evs are put into defense to further increase it's bulk.

Bullet Punch (stab, priority move, accessible by level up)

Zen Headbutt (stab, accessible by level up)

Meteor Mash / Ice Punch (Meteor Mash if you want a better stab move than bullet punch, accessible by level up. Ice Punch if you want coverage, accessible by move tutor)

Thunder Punch / Rock Slide (Both are coverage moves. Thunder Punch is accessible by move tutor and Rock Slide by tm)

(Also, an ideal nature for a pokemon is pretty important and can really make a difference. Metagross's ideal nature would be adamant. If you don't have that, you can change the nature of your pokemon in 7th Street for 3 heart scales.)

Thank you! ill definitely do that for it! 

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

For now the above post is definitely what I'd recommend. 

When the megastone for metagross is eventually released though you can change it up a bit if you want. Mega metagross is incredibly fast, so you could give it a Jolly nature potentially to make it a bit faster, or you could just keep the Adamant nature. With the extra speed you could invest EVs into speed to create a still somewhat bulky, but also pretty speedy attacker with a spread like 252 Atk/252 Speed/ 4HP. I'd still recommend the the set with Adamant, max HP and max attack investment even for Mega Metagross though.

You could try to jump on smogon and grab different EV spreads, but you really need to keep in mind that this is Reborn, not the smogon ladder. Some of those spreads don't even have a purpose in reborn. 

But this is all stuff for late game, when E19 is finally released. It might even be post game really.

thank you, i keep that in mind when im ev training it. need to get it to lvl 80 first (to beat the fairy type gym)

2 hours ago, ShadowAgent said:

Is meteor mash really the best steel attack for him? In my USUM I gave it iron head because it hits 100% for safer kills

Meteor Mash has a 10% chance to raise attack and is noticeably more powerful, and Iron Head's chance to flinch rarely comes into play so most people prefer the former.

19 hours ago, Blue eyes said:

Whtas the best moveset and EV training i can do for my metagross? it's a pretty new pokemon for me and im wondering where to start

Aside from what's been recommended, Metagross can also run Speed/Attack with an Adamant nature and Agility/Rock Polish. After one boost it's faster than pretty much anything, and its attack is so naturally high that most things get OHKO'd unboosted by super-effective hits, so with the right 3-move coverage Metagross can sweep some teams. There's no 3-move setup that will win every battle like this, though, and running a bulkier set is usually better because Metagross is just such a good glue 'mon.

You can also forego Zen Headbutt for more coverage, and run something like Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch/Ice Punch/Hammer Arm. Meteor Mash is pretty much essential though, as Bullet Punch is very weak even with such a high Attack stat. Bullet Punch can also be replaced if you don't care to ever outspeed your opponent, and at that point almost any moveset you choose should have perfect neutral coverage and incredible super-effective coverage.

As for Mega Metagross once it's out, Speed is 100% the way to go. Jolly nature with max EVs will outspeed a majority of what you face, and even without bulk investment or an Adamant nature you still have incredible natural bulk (80/150/110 is practically unmatched except by Toxapex and legendaries) and you're still hitting like a monster truck thanks to Tough Claws.