Favorite/Least Favorite Field?

Dausk

After playing through reborn and experiencing different fields, I am now curious about your favorite and least favorite field in the game and why you like/dislike them (Any fun or painful experience you've had)?

Favorite: Rainbow Field. The field design is really beautiful and truly life-like can't help but fall in love with it also, it was this field that help me defeat Charlotte in mt first playthrough in reborn.

Least: The Mirror Field. The only reason I dislike this field, beacuse back in the early versions of reborn, Serra was a complete NIGHTMARE on this field. I never took so many L's in my life until I fought serra on this field.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I did see the rainbow field while battling charlotte but never found out what it did (Guess I have to check now).

I also hated the mirror field with serra, even though I never battled her in the earlier versions. Must've been really painful, it took me over 3 hours to beat her in this version. (Now everytime I see the crit message, I have flashbacks to that battle)

Edited by Dausk
  • Like 1

Favorite: Fairy Tale Field, love this set. Everything in it just mesmerizes me and it changes up matchups left and right. A really dynamic field, and also gives a boost to my favorite type, Steel.

Least Favorite: Chess Board. It legit does FUCKING NOTHING beyond Radomus's team. It was made specifically for that fight. It's bland and uninteresting, most battles in it feel like there's no terrain. Glitch Field could've gone here, but I at least respect that field for the opportunities it opens up. With Chess Board, I'm just left wondering why it's here.

• Like 1

Favorite: Factory Field. Boosts steel and electric type moves (my first and third favorite types), also especially boosts moves and abilities from a few pokemon I really like (Klinklang's Gear moves and Porygon's Download), and it reversibly (hi there field control shenanigans) swaps over to a field that still boosts those things while amplifying ghost type moves (my second favorite type). I also really like that it boosts strengths without nullifying weaknesses.

Also, while it's not a reborn thing, I love the Haunted/Blessed duality in Rejuvenation. You could have a whole fight just swapping back and forth between ruining normal or ghost types each turn with just Curse! Flash! Ominous Wind! Flash!

Least Favorite: Close between Mirror and Glitch. Both are incredibly disruptive while having clearly exploitable elements. Mirror is more rng-reliant, but I feel I contractually have to rate Glitch worse than average because it negates my favorite type. Also Dragon's Den isn't out yet but I already dislike it because 90% of its text is just "dragons don't have weaknesses". Like, there's barely anything to exploit! I feel like I've just gotta use Sub-Zero Slammer or somehow set up with a physical dragon. Oh, and while I'm at it, Water Surface makes pokedex filling a NIGHTMARE. My level 70 Ampharos gets outsped and 2KO'd by a level 50 wild wailmer with dive. how am I supposed to catch it????

Edited by doombotmecha
minor text fixes
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Favourite field: Glitch Field. I love the surreal weirdness of fighting inside this distorted computer. This is the field which I seriously want to make fanart of someday. It also doesn't boost any moves specifically, which is a relief as some fields like to boost moves that the Gym Leader has and little else (looking at you, Short-Circuit field, which boosts Shadow Claw but not Spirit Shackle...)

Least favourite field: ...Ngl, I dislike quite a lot of them because they seem so tailor-made to specific Gym Leaders, but this has to go to the Mirror Arena. I wouldn't be surprised if the Serra fight was thought of first and then this field was literally moulded around her.  It's an evasion-boosting mess which boosts the accuracy of (Serra's) beam moves but little else, and then conveniently boosts the crit rate every time that evasion is lowered or increased. It also activates Aurora Veil without Hail (how can a set of mirrors even do that?) and that also raises a Pokemon's evasion. It may fit Serra's character, but this field has me spinning in circles like the cat in Tom and Jerry while giving me the middle finger for trying to attack. 

Favourite: Factory field

the strategy with the electric moves, choosing when to turn the field on and off alongside everything else makes this a fun field its incredibly abuseable and helpful almost any time it shows up.

Least:  Water Surface/Underwater

if you dont have your own water type or a way to freeze/poison the field. you gon' have a bad time. slowed to a snails pace, some of the games strongest moves literally doing nothing. powering up some already stupidly strong moves. not even mentioning the underwater part where you get slowed even MORE and have to rely on the opponent using something to re-surface you if you lack something to do it yourself before you can even attempt to neutralize the field again.

Amaria took me SO many tries first time i got to her. and the field was entirely to blame. in my Ice Mono i froze the field early and kept it frozen for 90% of the fight, it was MUCH easier.

It maybe isn't exactly new, but for now I'm liking very much the Misty Terrain as Reborn improved it, if only because how my Clefable uses it. Thematically, I like the cave field (except for the cave-ins when using half of the ground moves) and the mountain field.

The one that I like less, I'm not really sure, maybe the absence of field because then it seems more boring (?) or maybe fields like the water field or the chess field (Not sure if those are the official names though) because how they are specifically made for a single type/battle.

I don't get why so many people dislike mirror field, since you can easily destroy it with EQ (which made Serra really easy btw).

Favorites: Glitch Field. Really like how this reverted everything back to the good ol' days. A very good reminder for how important the physical/special split is.

Least: Underwater/Desert Field. Underwater cripples non-water Pokemon waaayy too much, and Desert was really annoying for me since my Primarina couldn't really use water moves effectively

Favorite: Out of the ones that are out, probably the Factory/Short-circuit pairing, cause you can easily keep switching between it. There are also few others where I like the aesthetic, though effects not so much.

Least: Every field that more or less doesn't exist outside of Gym Leader battles.

I could be misremembering, but I am pretty sure three of them aren't used at all outside of these? The ones for Serra, Radomus and the circus squad, I don't remember seeing them outside of the gym fights.

Some are slightly better: Fairy Tale, Wasteland and Ashen Beach are used in one place outside of Gym Leaders (the weird forest before Titania, Apophyll Beach and the damn wasteland outside of city).

There are some others that are hard to find outside of Gym Battles, but you can force them yourself with certain moves, like Corrosive Mist or Glitch.

Favorite fields: I love them all dearly but, if I had to pick it would be Fairy tale/dragon's den. Fairy tale because I really love the ascetic and the Steel type gym is my favorite gym currently in reborn. Dragon's den because I made that field in Rejuvenation with my Salazzle and it just seemed perfectly made for her.

Least favorite: I kinda don't like how the holy field says 'fuck you' to my boy Sivally and I hate that the rocky field adds additional rock damage to EQ. (I'm still salty about seeing 'it's not very effective' pop up during that fight with that lv 75 Steelix and seeing Torterra's EQ do diddly!) That being said there's no field I completely  hate, just little things I dislike.