Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

How to prevent stalling out?

GreatFawn

Question

Hey all, firstly it's not stalling in the usual sense of the word in pokemon. What I mean is how to prevent myself from, or better prepare myself for parts in the game where it feels like I'm not making any progress because I'm stuck grinding.

I'm currently at the circus and this is the first place I usually have this issue. It feels like grinding isn't getting me anywhere all the pokemon on the route are weak as and it takes ages to get to a decent level. I also find the game starts running kinda slow around here making battles tedious. I've played the game on a few saves never finished it because it always feels like my team isn't up to scratch and grinding a whole new team to 75 would break my heart, mind and body.

My current team only uses two pokemon that I caught starter Swampert 63 and clefairy 49 (need to diversity), and the rest are gifts and trades (for the exp bonus) blaziken 63, sharpedo 57, garchomp 60, and nidoking 60. 

I don't really get what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

13 answers to this question

You're not the only one struggling to find motivation at the Circus, GreatFawn- a few folks that frequent the Status Updates section can attest that I've kinda dropped the ball there, myself. I've found that the issue extends a bit before the Circus, itself, however- the Exp. Curve gets seriously janked up once you hit Route 1, gradually making you fall more and more behind both the level cap and the Gym Leaders' levels, but it tends to get noticed very much since Luna is unusually easy for most people despite it.

And then Samson shows up actually having comparable difficulty to his team's levels, on top of his ace being a full 6 levels stronger than everything else he has. Seeing as I showed up at the Circus already 6 levels lower than most of his team this time despite having already spent hours grinding before Radomus and Luna this time, and remember not being much better on my first playthrough either, and yeah. I think this part of the game is definitely a major stopgap against further progress.

Sadly, knowing why I've stalled out doesn't mean that I have any advice legitimate against it for my fellow players. If I did, I wouldn't be stalled out, ya know?

59 minutes ago, GreatFawn said:

Hey all, firstly it's not stalling in the usual sense of the word in pokemon. What I mean is how to prevent myself from, or better prepare myself for parts in the game where it feels like I'm not making any progress because I'm stuck grinding.

I'm currently at the circus and this is the first place I usually have this issue. It feels like grinding isn't getting me anywhere all the pokemon on the route are weak as and it takes ages to get to a decent level. I also find the game starts running kinda slow around here making battles tedious. I've played the game on a few saves never finished it because it always feels like my team isn't up to scratch and grinding a whole new team to 75 would break my heart, mind and body.

My current team only uses two pokemon that I caught starter Swampert 63 and clefairy 49 (need to diversity), and the rest are gifts and trades (for the exp bonus) blaziken 63, sharpedo 57, garchomp 60, and nidoking 60. 

One thing that speeds up grinding is to turn "Battle Scene" off, otherwise there's not much else to say. There is a clown you can rebattle to grind in the circus, but his teams can be tedious to fight and they are different every time you fight him. The best way to prevent stalling out is to grind up your so called "A-team" and a few, like 3 or 4, other mons you can rotate onto the team if need be. Just take every battle that comes your way after that, and you shouldn't need to grind much from here.

do a bigboy strat, i call YOLO and dont grind,  try to win against Sanson  its not inpossible.

In this strat i do generaly give more battles for the one mon that can actualy beat Sanson's team, them use some x - items, your team can win if you abuse swampert and blaziken, actualy its a easy win wif blaziken, bulkup for DAYS.

Reborn actualy dont need grind, grind help of course but it's not necessary for winning, take your time and prepare your strategy.

On 9/26/2019 at 5:36 PM, GreatFawn said:

I suggest you switch shapedo for a flying type with acrobatics

This time before I left reborn I did a bunch of money grinding and bought a ton of rare candies, I noticed when playing that I fall behind quick when training my team, while I was still in the city I plopped an EXP share on some of the stuff I was going to be using later and purposly overleveled them to where I wanted them in levels, was tough to do but well worth it to me though.

On 9/27/2019 at 2:59 AM, WildRoad said:

do a bigboy strat, i call YOLO and dont grind,  try to win against Sanson  its not inpossible.

In this strat i do generaly give more battles for the one mon that can actualy beat Sanson's team, them use some x - items, your team can win if you abuse swampert and blaziken, actualy its a easy win wif blaziken, bulkup for DAYS.

Thanks I'll give it a go I just wasn't sure if the AI was gonna switch out on me and one shot my blaziken with acrobatics at the level he is.

On 9/27/2019 at 8:42 AM, Starry Knight said:

This time before I left reborn I did a bunch of money grinding and bought a ton of rare candies, I noticed when playing that I fall behind quick when training my team, while I was still in the city I plopped an EXP share on some of the stuff I was going to be using later and purposly overleveled them to where I wanted them in levels, was tough to do but well worth it to me though.

Any quick tips for money grinding?

On 9/27/2019 at 4:20 AM, Autumn Zephyr said:

You're not the only one struggling to find motivation at the Circus, GreatFawn- a few folks that frequent the Status Updates section can attest that I've kinda dropped the ball there, myself. I've found that the issue extends a bit before the Circus, itself, however- the Exp. Curve gets seriously janked up once you hit Route 1, gradually making you fall more and more behind both the level cap and the Gym Leaders' levels, but it tends to get noticed very much since Luna is unusually easy for most people despite it.

And then Samson shows up actually having comparable difficulty to his team's levels, on top of his ace being a full 6 levels stronger than everything else he has. Seeing as I showed up at the Circus already 6 levels lower than most of his team this time despite having already spent hours grinding before Radomus and Luna this time, and remember not being much better on my first playthrough either, and yeah. I think this part of the game is definitely a major stopgap against further progress.

Sadly, knowing why I've stalled out doesn't mean that I have any advice legitimate against it for my fellow players. If I did, I wouldn't be stalled out, ya know?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense it was a while ago (before I came back to the game) when I beat Luna but I don't remember much frustration there.