Hardest and easiest gym leaders

darkwaters33

Im intrested to see what everyone thought was the hardest and easiest gym leader for them in reborn and rejuvenation.  Obviously everyone has their own style of play and teams so should be interesting.  

For reborn:

Easiest: serra, the mirror field i felt  was more for her very unlikable son then it was for her and her team did not use it well at least in my battle which made it an easy fight 

Hardest: aya: idk what it is about this girl but every playthrough she always stalemates me 

Rejuv: easiest: florin: moxie heracross decimated his team

Hardest: angie. This women is the most frustrating gym probably in any fan made game, her ice field and team gave me quite the headache and i had to prepare like 3 different teams for this battle

can't say for rejuv since I never played through much of it, but for reborn by far the easiest in every playthrough I've had of this game is Luna. A fast fighting, fairy or bug type kills 5/6 of her team, then you just need to worry about Honchkrow or Bisharp, the latter of which can't really do anything on its own. Hardest is probably Shade, Aya or Adrienne.

Reborn

Hardest: Terra or Charlotte

Terra because the her quagsire and garchomp always screw me over

Charlotte because of her leads. I've always had to cheese my way past those, but after them it's been smooth sailing

Easiest: Hardy

because wide guard

Rejuvenation(for an ice mono at least because that's the only run I've somewhat recently)

Hardest: Narcissa

I had no good pokemon by then and had to use all of the x items I had found by then on my dewgong, set up stockpile and spam brine and aurora beam. After 27(I counted) srs I finally got it. 

Easiest: Valarie

one word: blizzard

Reborn:

Hardest: Shelly

Was not expecting her to be so tough on my first playthrough. I had no idea that I could use fake out to stop her illumise from setting up rain dance

Easiest: Luna

Maybe it was due to the fact that my team was a good counter to hers. Didn't really feel like a gym battle for me and she could use a buff.

Rejuv:

Hardest: Angie

A. Complete. Nightmare. Definitely the gym leader that took me the most attempts to beat on Rejuvenation.

Easiest: Florin

All I remember from that fight was hyper voice pixilate sylveon + help from some teammates sweeping his team. 

Reborn

Hardest: Aya and Charlotte, because MY GOD double battles are the worst. Aya's field prevents me from using ground-type moves except earth power and some of her pokemon is either a lighting bruiser or tanky as hell. As for Charlotte Her typhlosion keeps sweeping me with those Eruption and the field gives her a major power boost,it is impossible to get a pokemon faster that her typhlosion without using a choice scarf or a pokemon that can tank it

Easiest: Luna, Blaziken with speed boost holding a metronome nuff said. And Kiki, Psychic totally destroys her 

Rejuvenation

Hardest: Souta......that Skarmory and Pidgeot of his i scwawy and also electric types are no longer super effective to flying types

easiest:Angie, Sunny Day and Heat Wave is such a good combo 😩👌. Oh and Crawli, Dusk Lycanroc totally demolish him with the ancient art of throwing rocks.

For Reborn, 
The easiest for me was Amaria, didn't use anything but a Florges 
The hardest for me was Shade, granted it was during my first playthrough, I was really just super lazy to think of anything but use attacks and win

For Rejuvenation, 

The easiest leader was Amber, albeit I cheesed the fight with Double Team Dragalge 
The hardest leader was Angie, took RNG attract to get past her first few mons, but once i got rng on my side, my roided chicken cleaned house 

For Reborn:

The easiest was either Corey, Kiki or Shade. Used nothing but my starter (that little story with Shade was definitely exaggerated).

The hardest was without question Aya. I'm pretty sure I just won out of dumb luck.

For Rejuvenation:

The easiest was Amber. Surf's up.

The hardest was Angie. I had to train a whole separate team just for her.

I'm gonna do just for Rejuvenation:

Hardest:

Angie (Who thought that would be a good idea a move that hits 2 targets with 20% freeze chance?)

Florin/Flora (In V10 they were even harder because of Ludicolo Surf + Cradily and if you are against Florin, nobody outspeeds his Sceptile and Flora's team is tanky as hell with the rain and field nulyfing most of her weaknesses).

Souta: (Still didn't played against him in the current release, but his field is broken and that Skarmory tailwind lead makes his team a pain).

Easiest:

Valarie (Ppl says that she used to be a demon, but now her team is slow, and a Grass/Electric with good speed take her team down with ease).

Ryland (Snow Warning Vanilluxe literally ends him if it wasn't for the Excadrill and Torterra with Crest. But anything that changes weathee and a fast or bulky super effective attacker takes him down easily).

For Reborn:

Easiest would probably be Kiki or Charlotte; Kiki's field doesn't cover her weaknesses effectively and boosts psychic of all moves, while Charlotte gets swept by a +speed flash fire Typhlosion. I find it funny that Charlotte's field boosts fire so much that it becomes the best option against her even with the type weakness.

Hardest is either Titania or Shelly. Titania's field makes me want to gargle battery acid every time I fight her, and Shelly's debuff spam is one of the most irritating things in the game.

For Rejuvenation:

Easiest is either Valerie or Adam. I've never had problems with Valerie ever, I once took out 4 of her pokemon with a Pyroar of all things. Adam's Tyranitar opening is easy to set up on.

Hardest is Souta by a mile. His field is ridiculous, the only thing that makes it easier is he never seems to use golden wing, so you can set up with cosmic power.

• Upvote 1

Reborn:

Easiest: Julia, Florinia, Luna, Radomus all fit firmly in the free tier that I can't really rate one over the other. Luna's only threats are Sucker Punchers and Radomus only gets going if he manages to trick room. Julia and Florinia are (understandable) warm ups.

Hardest: Shelly or Charlotte. Pretty standard opinions. Even post nerfs from her busted earlier episode state Charlotte still (nearly, I'm sure you can do it without it if you're better than me) requires you to use one or both of Trick Room/Rain Dance to not get double-OHKOed every turn, Shelly is a massive difficulty spike before you have a lot of options and (nearly, agains) requires a Fake Out user and one of the small handful of Pokemon that learn Rock Slide by level 35.

Rejuvenation (Normal, I don't really have much experience with Intense past the first few)

Easiest: Venam, Puppetmasters, or Florin/Florinia. First is a warmup, second is generally nonthreatening damage wise unless V12 changed them significantly. I may be somewhat biased as Contrary Serperior annihilates them, especially if you get hit by Uproot. I 1v12ed Puppet Masters essentially with a Beheeyem, and Aelita's coverage is surprisingly competent for being disadvantaged and will take heat off you while you can set up. Do they have any physical ghost moves at all, the only possible threat to a calm mind Psychic mon?

Hardest: Keta (2) or Valarie. Revenant Keta is so ahead of the curve in terms of species AND isn't monotype that he'll crush you despite getting very little benefit from the field, and every version has made it more difficult for Xatu to cheese him. I don't really agree with people saying Valarie is easiest, she has an insane field effect, plenty of ice coverage, setup mons, a Primarina that can OHKO you through resisting water at least on Intense. Keep in mind Alolan Raichu can't be gotten until Angie or so as of V11, or I would agree with her having a hard counter, otherwise most of the Pokemon that can hit her hard are slowed 50% by the field and will get nuked by a coverage move.

Edited by interdiction

I haven't played reborn, and I have 2 playthroughs of rejuvenation so I'll just use those

1st (normal)

Easiest: Angie. don't know how, but I wiped the floor with her on my first try.

Hardest: Souta. Sure I beat him first try, but goddam he sure as HELL didn't make it easy

2nd (easy)

Easiest Angie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the terrain she uses in V12 adds an additional dark typing to her ice type attacks, so I got Inceneroar and a Houndoom to wall her attacks, a Medicham with Pure power and High Jump Kick and a Magneton to annihilate her Aloan Ninetales

Hardest: Flora, I didn't have a good flying-type with me so she was difficult to deal with the rain and all

Based on my archived Mono-Fairy run on casual mode

Hardest: Venam. Having a LV.20 Brionne against 4 of her level 12-14 Pokémon is difficult. At least a Super Potion and maybe a Potion or two is needed to last. Also Narcissa due to her haunted field reducing the power of Fairy moves, and I didn’t have Flash at the time.

Easiest: Multiple leaders such as Marianette, Valerie, Flora, and Puppet Master. Marianette’s Blessed Field makes Sylveon easy to solo against. Valerie’s team is suspectible to Dedenne except for Lanturn, which I had to use Sylveon against. Flora is also easy to deal with as Hyper Voice Sylveon cleans three of her team (and Moonblast gets boosted twice in Bewitched Field), with Mr. Mime dealing against Mega Venusaur. And finally, Pupper Master’s Psychic terrain makes fairy moves powerful (prior to V12, V12 removed the boosts). Primrina swept them due to Moonblast being boosted TWICE (1.2x1.3) and still OHKOs Medicham & Gallade even with Light Screen set up!

On 9/22/2019 at 10:26 AM, Vince&Sylveon said:

Based on my archived Mono-Fairy run on casual mode

Hardest: Venam. Having a LV.20 Brionne against 4 of her level 12-14 Pokémon is difficult. At least a Super Potion and maybe a Potion or two is needed to last. Also Narcissa due to her haunted field reducing the power of Fairy moves, and I didn’t have Flash at the time.

Easiest: Multiple leaders such as Marianette, Valerie, Flora, and Puppet Master. Marianette’s Blessed Field makes Sylveon easy to solo against. Valerie’s team is suspectible to Dedenne except for Lanturn, which I had to use Sylveon against. Flora is also easy to deal with as Hyper Voice Sylveon cleans three of her team (and Moonblast gets boosted twice in Bewitched Field), with Mr. Mime dealing against Mega Venusaur. And finally, Pupper Master’s Psychic terrain makes fairy moves powerful (prior to V12, V12 removed the boosts). Primrina swept them due to Moonblast being boosted TWICE (1.2x1.3) and still OHKOs Medicham & Gallade even with Light Screen set up!

for narcisa I used ribombee and spammed dazzling gleam to remove haunted field, it was pretty easy

On 9/18/2019 at 5:33 PM, interdiction said:

Rejuvenation (Normal, I don't really have much experience with Intense past the first few)

Easiest: Venam, Puppetmasters, or Florin/Florinia. First is a warmup, second is generally nonthreatening damage wise unless V12 changed them significantly. I may be somewhat biased as Contrary Serperior annihilates them, especially if you get hit by Uproot. I 1v12ed Puppet Masters essentially with a Beheeyem, and Aelita's coverage is surprisingly competent for being disadvantaged and will take heat off you while you can set up. Do they have any physical ghost moves at all, the only possible threat to a calm mind Psychic mon?

Hardest: Keta (2) or Valarie. Revenant Keta is so ahead of the curve in terms of species AND isn't monotype that he'll crush you despite getting very little benefit from the field, and every version has made it more difficult for Xatu to cheese him. I don't really agree with people saying Valarie is easiest, she has an insane field effect, plenty of ice coverage, setup mons, a Primarina that can OHKO you through resisting water at least on Intense. Keep in mind Alolan Raichu can't be gotten until Angie or so as of V11, or I would agree with her having a hard counter, otherwise most of the Pokemon that can hit her hard are slowed 50% by the field and will get nuked by a coverage move.

Puppet master is much easier with a Calm Mind psychic type on intense than without. They have some stuff that hits defense hard like Psyshock, Gallade, and Metagross so a slow thing like Beheeyem might have trouble, especially since Oranguru Light Screen means you need two CMs to ohko the tanks. The fight without one of those is pretty insane though.

Easiest boss in rejuvenation is definitely Venam. Most later bosses can get ran over by a good counter team but you can just grab whatever and beat her with little issue, which is kinda to be expected from the first gym.

On the flipside, I find gym 2 through 5 very difficult because they quickly ramp up in strength but your options are still mostly bad. I play on set without healing items though so that probably influences things

• Veterans
13 minutes ago, Paperblade said:

Puppet master is much easier with a Calm Mind psychic type on intense than without. They have some stuff that hits defense hard like Psyshock, Gallade, and Metagross so a slow thing like Beheeyem might have trouble, especially since Oranguru Light Screen means you need two CMs to ohko the tanks. The fight without one of those is pretty insane though.

Easiest boss in rejuvenation is definitely Venam. Most later bosses can get ran over by a good counter team but you can just grab whatever and beat her with little issue, which is kinda to be expected from the first gym.

On the flipside, I find gym 2 through 5 very difficult because they quickly ramp up in strength but your options are still mostly bad. I play on set without healing items though so that probably influences things

The thing I find odd about the last bit is that there's plenty of really good options early on, with the equivalent to Reborn's Kricketune being found in Swoobat, Xatu or even the Eeveelutions, particularly Sylveon doing very well against the first 4 gyms(granted the last one comes from having to beat Novae who can be pretty rough if you do it when cap is 25.) That being said Pokemon is a very matchup based game so it could simply be a result of the ones you do pick up having a bad time vs X or Y. Mostly speaking from my own experiences though since I prefer to stick to a smaller squad of new stuff every time to spice things up, and end up running into that issue.

Personally I'd say hardest is probably either Angie or Ryland with the easiest going to one of Amber/Flora or Venam. Usually depends but I have tended to struggle with the former two on most of my runs while the latter three have been relatively simple, with the others falling somewhere in between them.

Haven't finished the content but got a fair way through so gonna throw my two cents in for now.

Easiest for me: Florin and Souta. Florin was just a walk, Souta was pretty easy. His Tailwind proved annoying on first matchup but when I went for round two, I just.. Took a Jolteon with my own Elemental Seed. His distinct advantage soon petered out because I just got to spam Thunder against everything he had and he couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Hardest: Crawli. Nothing compares for me. 

1 hour ago, A̸͖̬͎̖̯̼̫͍ͣ̾ͧ͆͋͘͟ͅžͫ͗̈̅͗ͯ said:

The thing I find odd about the last bit is that there's plenty of really good options early on, with the equivalent to Reborn's Kricketune being found in Swoobat, Xatu or even the Eeveelutions, particularly Sylveon doing very well against the first 4 gyms(granted the last one comes from having to beat Novae who can be pretty rough if you do it when cap is 25.) That being said Pokemon is a very matchup based game so it could simply be a result of the ones you do pick up having a bad time vs X or Y. Mostly speaking from my own experiences though since I prefer to stick to a smaller squad of new stuff every time to spice things up, and end up running into that issue.

Personally I'd say hardest is probably either Angie or Ryland with the easiest going to one of Amber/Flora or Venam. Usually depends but I have tended to struggle with the former two on most of my runs while the latter three have been relatively simple, with the others falling somewhere in between them.

It probably comes down to definition of difficulty. There are a handful of early mons that are great vs those gyms (swoobat, hariyama) but generally early on I have to train up 1-2 new mons per gym, and early mons that don't evolve till the mid30s are kinda bad. This cuts out a lot of choices and makes a lot of the early gyms "use some of these handful of mons or the fight is nearly impossible." It's possible there is a diamond in the rough I've yet to find

But, I am extremely stubborn and play where I don't change my team out and when I have a group of six set i don't change it, with early game mons just filler until what I actually want becomes available.  So when I lose to valarie 50 times and begrudgingly go raise up a Vikavolt and Raichu just for her I  see that as an admission of my defeat, even though i might spend three times as long on a later boss trying out different leads and held items etc, I have so many more options that I've yet to be truly brickwalled.

Actually, can I change my vote to virtual Whitney? I had to break down and use potions to beat her with chikorita.

• 2 weeks later...

Hardest for me is definitely Flora and Adam(He still gives me Nightmares..) mainly because of their synergy with the arena which hard to take advantage of, the easiest is gym is and call me crazy it's Ryland, For me Ryland team is just a pushover maybe because most of my mon counter his and his claydol is bugged but i always beat him first try in any of my playthroughs

Overall rejuv is really hard without a proper mon to counter your enemies team (Angie's team is a beast and Erick is also no pushover, hell keta is threatening for a second gym fight) but it always depends on your mon, I'd say its almost impossible to beat intense mode with just 6 mon without rotation,

But if we are talking about the worst fight in rejuv the crown gotta go to geara and zetta in valor mountain that fuckin fight took me swapping all of my mon to create a special team just to kill them (I mean come on Jan a Mega Absol and Mega Gengar this early!!? and f*ck me he got a freakin dragonite!! and why the hell does melia is so useless here!!! why does your togekiss doesn't know any fairy type move!!! REEEEEE!!!!!) 

Hardest: probably the first 2 gyms, Venam and first fight vs Keta. It might be weird but I consider those to be the hardest gyms simply because u have the least amount of options available to you in terms of pokemon at that point in the game. Although this could've been influenced by the fact i did my 1st (and only) run on rejuvenation on intense mode only, I still believe even if I had prior knowledge of both gyms, they still would be hard.

Reasons:

Venam:

- Her field significantly buffs her own side, through activating venoshock, she literally has access to a 130 bst move that early in the game, while most of your moves would be around either 40 to 60 bst, there is simply no comparison. 

- Her mons are simply naturally tanky as fuck. This is compounded by the fact that ur moves are weak in power at that point in the game, and that poison is a good defensive typing with two weaknesses.

- Again, due to limited options available at the beginning of the game, u can't effective target her pokemon's weakness or change the field. Purify is the only move that changes her field and u don't get access to any pokemon to that until terajuma (pyukumuku). You literally have ZERO strong ground type attack options at that point in the game unless u chose mudkip as your starter (and even that is a moot point since mud shot gains poison typing in the field, nullifying its super effectivenesss). There is no ground type u can catch at that point in the game other than geodude and nidorans, and those don't learn any ground moves at that level in the game. There is also no pokemon that u can catch that can learn a strong ground type coverage move. Having a chingling or woobat is basicallly mandatory for this gym, but those can't get past the brick wall that is alolan-grimer due to its dark typing, and both being frail and lacking a resistance to poison make it hard for them to last in the match

- Alolan-grimer might as well have no weakness in that match,  due to the aforementioned points and dark-typing, its extremely difficult to take down without losing one of ur own pokemon unless u already have a pokemon on the field that has setup multiple attack boosts (pokemon that can set up and sweeper are limited too at this point in the game). At least it doesn't hit too hard, but due to its bulk it probably ends up doing to most damage to your team getting off severals hit and poisons status.

- Overall the fight is hard primarily due to the limited options you have, combined with the fact that her team simply overall outguns and outlasts. Unless u have like 2-3 woobats/chinglings + something that can beat alolan-grimer in a 1v1, any other possible teamcomp at that point in the game will find this a great challenge. 

- Again, maybe its a me problem since I dove into this without having any awareness of the true difficulty of the game.

Keta 1st battle:

- This. His pokemon completely outstates your pokemon. He has a fully evolved team already bar pignite. Like seriously? This time, unlike venam team, his team basically outguns, outlasts, and ALSO outspeeds you. This is basically the primary reason why this fight is just so hard. Each single one of his pokemon just has much better stats than your own and anything u can muster at that point in the game.

- The doubles format accentuates his stat advantage and offensive pressure

- His pokemon pack strong moves like rock slide, strong priority moves, gale strike, etc. Ok granted maybe those aren't that strong on an absolute scale, but those moves are too good at that level and stage of the game.

- Breloom packs spore when u are able to live an attack. At least that one of the few things u can one-shot potentially with a fire move.

- Several of his pokemon hold a seed that granted it a spiky shield when they switch in, giving that mon a free turn to fire off a powerful attack without retaliation or even set up.

+ At least the highest possible bst mon u can get at that point is i think is lunatone, with bst of 460, which can pack a strong psyshock for that fight if u go to the move tutor, and can live one gale strike (due to field its super effective)

+ The doubles format actually can work to ur advantage if u abuse the AI. Usually i found that the AI always tries to double target the weaker mon on your side, especially if said mon has a great weakness and can be one-shotted by either of the opposing two mons. Thus I cheesed this battle by using lunatone+a mon that baits AI double targetting, with combusken killing breloom, swoobat doing a bit of damage, and lunatone killing everything else.

As for the easiest its honestly probably any single battle gym leader including and after Amber. By that point in the game you have access to enough options to feasibly just wall out the opposition with some tanky pokemon (blissey, amoonguss, toxapex from mystery egg, avalugg).

Edited by GoodGame1324

4 hours ago, GoodGame1324 said:

Hardest: probably the first 2 gyms, Venam and first fight vs Keta. It might be weird but I consider those to be the hardest gyms simply because u have the least amount of options available to you in terms of pokemon at that point in the game. Although this could've been influenced by the fact i did my 1st (and only) run on rejuvenation on intense mode only, I still believe even if I had prior knowledge of both gyms, they still would be hard.

Reasons:

Venam:

- Her field significantly buffs her own side, through activating venoshock, she literally has access to a 130 bst move that early in the game, while most of your moves would be around either 40 to 60 bst, there is simply no comparison. 

- Her mons are simply naturally tanky as fuck. This is compounded by the fact that ur moves are weak in power at that point in the game, and that poison is a good defensive typing with two weaknesses.

- Again, due to limited options available at the beginning of the game, u can't effective target her pokemon's weakness or change the field. Purify is the only move that changes her field and u don't get access to any pokemon to that until terajuma (pyukumuku). You literally have ZERO strong ground type attack options at that point in the game unless u chose mudkip as your starter (and even that is a moot point since mud shot gains poison typing in the field, nullifying its super effectivenesss). There is no ground type u can catch at that point in the game other than geodude and nidorans, and those don't learn any ground moves at that level in the game. There is also no pokemon that u can catch that can learn a strong ground type coverage move. Having a chingling or woobat is basicallly mandatory for this gym, but those can't get past the brick wall that is alolan-grimer due to its dark typing, and both being frail and lacking a resistance to poison make it hard for them to last in the match

- Alolan-grimer might as well have no weakness in that match,  due to the aforementioned points and dark-typing, its extremely difficult to take down without losing one of ur own pokemon unless u already have a pokemon on the field that has setup multiple attack boosts (pokemon that can set up and sweeper are limited too at this point in the game). At least it doesn't hit too hard, but due to its bulk it probably ends up doing to most damage to your team getting off severals hit and poisons status.

- Overall the fight is hard primarily due to the limited options you have, combined with the fact that her team simply overall outguns and outlasts. Unless u have like 2-3 woobats/chinglings + something that can beat alolan-grimer in a 1v1, any other possible teamcomp at that point in the game will find this a great challenge. 

- Again, maybe its a me problem since I dove into this without having any awareness of the true difficulty of the game.

Keta 1st battle:

- This. His pokemon completely outstates your pokemon. He has a fully evolved team already bar pignite. Like seriously? This time, unlike venam team, his team basically outguns, outlasts, and ALSO outspeeds you. This is basically the primary reason why this fight is just so hard. Each single one of his pokemon just has much better stats than your own and anything u can muster at that point in the game.

- The doubles format accentuates his stat advantage and offensive pressure

- His pokemon pack strong moves like rock slide, strong priority moves, gale strike, etc. Ok granted maybe those aren't that strong on an absolute scale, but those moves are too good at that level and stage of the game.

- Breloom packs spore when u are able to live an attack. At least that one of the few things u can one-shot potentially with a fire move.

- Several of his pokemon hold a seed that granted it a spiky shield when they switch in, giving that mon a free turn to fire off a powerful attack without retaliation or even set up.

+ At least the highest possible bst mon u can get at that point is i think is lunatone, with bst of 460, which can pack a strong psyshock for that fight if u go to the move tutor, and can live one gale strike (due to field its super effective)

+ The doubles format actually can work to ur advantage if u abuse the AI. Usually i found that the AI always tries to double target the weaker mon on your side, especially if said mon has a great weakness and can be one-shotted by either of the opposing two mons. Thus I cheesed this battle by using lunatone+a mon that baits AI double targetting, with combusken killing breloom, swoobat doing a bit of damage, and lunatone killing everything else.

As for the easiest its honestly probably any single battle gym leader including and after Amber. By that point in the game you have access to enough options to feasibly just wall out the opposition with some tanky pokemon (blissey, amoonguss, toxapex from mystery egg, avalugg).

Geodude learns magnitute at lvl 12...