Shiny gift Sylveon?

Deestracted

Hey folks! Unsure if I should be posting this in here or the general on the hunt forums, as I'm super new here ^^'
My question is this: Upon entering Alamissa Urben, after a bunch of dialogue, you're gifted a certain NPC's Sylveon. As far as I can tell, everything about this pokemon seems pre-set: ability, IVS, etc. So... Is whether or not it's shiny also set? I'd really like to reset until I get a shiny, but I don't wanna waste my time on it if it isn't possible... 0:

I don't actually know for sure, especially given how unique this instance is, but I think we can draw a few inferences here from the rest of the game.

First, every other pokemon has the potential to come out shiny, except for Shadows. Nancy's sylveon does share a notable trait with them (the fixed IVs), but aside from those and the Shiny Lock, the Shadow Pokemon were still randomly generated on encounter (e.g., three Shadow Grimers could all have different Abilities from each other). The circumstances behind the Shadow Pokemons' Lock are both two-fold, and not applicable for our dear ribbony friend: they both use unique sprites prior to being purified, and are mechanically based on what I believe to be the first ever Shiny Locks in the series (XD's Shadow Pokemon). Given this context, I don't see why the sylveon couldn't be shiny.

On the other hand, this is a specific individual we're dealing with here, and one we've seen several times before. The sylveon wasn't shiny when the S.S. Oceana was attacked, nor was it during the chaos at the end of the Blacksteeple arch. Since we haven't encountered anything like a "Shiny Spray" in the game, and that Team Xen would unlikely to use one even if it did exist, there's viable reason for it suddenly turning shiny before we get it.

I personally lean on the side of it being Shiny Locked, given the Rejuvenation Team's tendency to be very precise with individual pokemon throughout the game, though you're free to wait for official confirmation if you want. 

2 minutes ago, Autumn Zephyr said:

I don't actually know for sure, especially given how unique this instance is, but I think we can draw a few inferences here from the rest of the game.

First, every other pokemon has the potential to come out shiny, except for Shadows. Nancy's sylveon does share a notable trait with them (the fixed IVs), but aside from those and the Shiny Lock, the Shadow Pokemon were still randomly generated on encounter (e.g., three Shadow Grimers could all have different Abilities from each other). The circumstances behind the Shadow Pokemons' Lock are both two-fold, and not applicable for our dear ribbony friend: they both use unique sprites prior to being purified, and are mechanically based on what I believe to be the first ever Shiny Locks in the series (XD's Shadow Pokemon). Given this context, I don't see why the sylveon couldn't be shiny.

On the other hand, this is a specific individual we're dealing with here, and one we've seen several times before. The sylveon wasn't shiny when the S.S. Oceana was attacked, nor was it during the chaos at the end of the Blacksteeple arch. Since we haven't encountered anything like a "Shiny Spray" in the game, and that Team Xen would unlikely to use one even if it did exist, there's viable reason for it suddenly turning shiny before we get it.

I personally lean on the side of it being Shiny Locked, given the Rejuvenation Team's tendency to be very precise with individual pokemon throughout the game, though you're free to wait for official confirmation if you want. 

Hmm... These are all really good points. I'll probably wait for a bit longer and see if anyone else knows for certain, but thank you so much!!  💖

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck on your shiny quest! Since Nancy’s Sylveon has perfect IVs, the only thing you’ll worry about is changing the nature, which you can do for the price of one Heart Scale. And you’ll finally have a shiny competitive Sylveon to be utilized!

• Like 1