Thoughts on Wonder Trade?

JOSUKE

Wonder Trade? I always saw it as a harmless feature, but not necessary. You would only wonder trade Pokemon at the beginning part of the game, so that the random traded Pokemon you receive will earn double experience points in battle which makes grinding and the early part of the game easier. Again, wonder trade is harmless enough that it doesn't warrant its removal, but outlives its usefulness the further you progress within the games.

32 minutes ago, JoStarNight said:

Wonder Trade? I always saw it as a harmless feature, but not necessary. You would only wonder trade Pokemon at the beginning part of the game, so that the random traded Pokemon you receive will earn double experience points in battle which makes grinding and the early part of the game easier. Again, wonder trade is harmless enough that it doesn't warrant its removal, but outlives its usefulness the further you progress within the games.

People that breed for high IV pokemon with Egg Moves use it to empty out their boxes of the less optimal mons, so there is still reason for anyone to occasionally check (though outside of events/socials those dropoffs can be sporadic). 

Overall, there's no reason to remove the feature outright, though there can be for pushing it back.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, seki108 said:

People that breed for high IV pokemon with Egg Moves use it to empty out their boxes of the less optimal mons, so there is still reason for anyone to occasionally check (though outside of events/socials those dropoffs can be sporadic). 

Overall, there's no reason to remove the feature outright, though there can be for pushing it back.  

That is very true. When answering the question, I was looking at Wonder Trade through a single-player campaign perspective (not a competitive one) and didn't take into account that many people Wonder Trade to empty out their boxes of less optimal Pokemon, since I rarely use the breeding feature.

With that box emptying advantage in mind, Wonder Trade is actually a nifty feature that provides effective usefulness for breeding which is enough to keep it around.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't like keeping a lot of mon I don't plan on using in my boxes so every so often I offload the better IVed or shiney mons I've caught off via Wonder Trade with the vague hope some mon I get in return might catch my eye. Admittedly I'm still a bit overwhelmed over getting a Gible and a Beldam from it the first time I used it (I was only at Azurine Island so I deemed those two too good to use until I could legit earn them through event) but I was happy to add an all but perfectly IVed Naïve Skorupi to my team.

Wonder trade is great for getting unexpectedly great mons <3 I should probably breed my Blaziken a few times to give back to those kind enough to give such fun mon out.

WT throws out a lot of duds, but the occasional gems make it well worth it I think- I had missed my chance to get a luck incense, started a new save to try again, and then randomly received a Happiny for my living dex getting rid of breedjects, so very happy about that.