[Night 4] What Lurks Below 2

Alaris

Hi there! I'm Alaris and I'm gonna host the second part of the game I hosted a year ago: What Lies (Lurks) Below! But don't worry, you don't need to have played the first part to enjoy this game! Although the story is somewhat connected, this game has its own plot. How is it played, you're wondering? Just read below!

~ What is Mafia and how is it played? ~  (credits to Dive)

Spoiler

Mafia is a social deduction game which requires analyzing, cooperation, and looking through lies. There are two main factions in a mafia game: the Uninformed Majority [Town], who have to find others of their kind while hunting for the mafia, and the Informed Minority [Mafia], who have a private chat and plan there on how they should trick the town and whom they should kill. There may also be Third Party or Independent roles, which have different agendas and win conditions.

At the beginning of the game, players receive a PM with their role and alignment.

There are two major phases in a Mafia game:

(1) The Day Phase – Typically lasting 48 hours, players use this opportunity to discuss about several things, which may include the outcome of the previous phases, behaviour of players, and flow of the game; the ultimate goal in the day phase is for the Town players to find the Mafia slowly while Mafia players have to blend in carefully. Before the day ends, players must vote for a player whom they want to be eliminated on grounds of suspicion and the player receiving the most votes will be eliminated.

(2) The Night Phase – Typically lasting 24 hours, the thread is considered “locked” at this point and players may not comment at all. Instead, players with night actions, special abilities related to their role, may use these to aid their faction. The Mafia also discusses in the private chat on whom to dispose of.

The game continues until one of the major factions attains their win condition or unless it is no longer possible.

~ General rules ~

Spoiler
  • The Reborn Forum rules apply here.
  • Once the game starts, a link to a discord server will be provided. There, you will have individual channels where you can submit your night actions or queries, and perhaps some other group chats...
  • All Player Discussion must be kept on the thread, unless you are part of a group chat provided by me in the discord server. Other forms of contact to discuss game-related stuff outside the game are not allowed.
  • Day Phase lasts for 48 hours, Night Phase lasts for 24 hours. Players may only post in this thread during the Day Phase. Night Phase will commence with a post (mine) stating that the sun has set. Approximately, the phases will change at about 6 pm GMT+1, so plan accordingly. If you fail to submit your Night Action before the phase ends, I will assume you have abstained.
  • See ‘Specific rules’ for details on the voting system.
  • Sharing of Role PMs or other messages (through screenshots, etc.) is not allowed. You can roleclaim and/or transcript all you want, though!
  • Double posting is preferred upon editing, unless they are minor corrections.
  • Killed players may have a dead post that will not disclose any relevant information.
  • Respect the other players and have fun!!!

~ Opening narrative ~

Spoiler

A year had passed since the catastrophe. There had been no survivors, but rumour had it that some careless treasure hunters had unleashed a monster that had annihilated all the members of the town, only to disappear into thin air a few days later. Since then, many thugs and ruffians had flocked to the place on which the town once stood, in hopes that they would finally find the treasure hidden deep within the neighbouring ancient ruins. These new settlers founded a new town, which they called “New Town” in an unparalleled display of imagination and creativity. Law didn’t exist in New Town, and most of the people with respectable jobs such as policemen or doctors would never dare to get less than a mile close to the town. Yet, apart from the usual one or two daily murders, the town was relatively peaceful and quiet thanks to the Worshippers of the Sun and the Moon, who guarded the ruins during the day and night respectively, trying to decipher its secrets. Or it was so, until the fire nation attacked. I mean, until a bunch of new miscreants arrived. They were not only wicked, despicable, heinous, greedy and repulsive, but more wicked, more despicable, more heinous, greedier and more repulsive than the regional mean values. So there’s that. And town thought: “Hey, we gotta kill them. For the lols.”, but somebody replied “Okay but we’d better be organised. Shouldn’t we pick a Mayor?”. “Okay, we had been perfectly fine without a Mayor but well, we gotta embrace democracy at some point, right?”. And then, just like that, they decided they wanted a Mayor for New Town. And so Day 1 starts.

~ Factions ~

Spoiler

The regular bad people (Town, uninformed majority): they want to kill the newcomers that are plotting to destroy the town. They win when all the members of the Mafia and Third Parties (except the Mayor) have been eliminated.

The bad bad people (Mafia, informed minority): their objective is to take over the town and steal all the goods from the ruins. They win when they achieve an absolute majority, that is, more than half of the players alive at that moment.

The Third Parties: they have their own win conditions.

~ Roles ~

Spoiler

Town Roles:

• The Arms Trafficker
  • The Retired Tailor
  • The Well Digger
  • The Fighter
  • The Erudite
  • The Bartender
  • The Orator
  • The Mirror Maker
  • The Hangman
  • The Despot
  • The Clockmaker
  • The Juggler
  • The Priest
  • The Sun Worshipper
  • The Moon Worshipper
  • The Vanilla Townie

Mafia Roles:

• The Briber
  • The Immolator: Once in the game, at night, the Immolator will randomly (RNG’d) pick a private chat (not including the Mafia’s), and explode, killing themselves and everybody in that chat. The chat might be an individual chat or a group chat. The mafia cannot perform their factional kill that night. This action does not count as a visit and it is unavoidable unless the Immolator is killed before carrying out the action.
  • The Piercer
  • The Puppetmaster: Every night, the Puppetmaster may pick a player. That player cannot freely post on the thread. Instead, the Puppetmaster will send to the GM all the messages the target must post on the thread. All the messages must end with an emoji. The only thing that the target may freely post is their vote (without any other text). The Puppetmaster cannot pick the same player twice in a row.
  • The Swindler: Each day, the Swindler may post as many anonymous messages on the thread as they wish. Those messages, however, can only contain CONSONANTS and spaces. This action does not count as a visit.

Other Roles:

• The Mayor - The Mayor will be elected in Day 1 (see 'Specific Rules' below), and the person holding the title will be publicly announced. The Mayor preserves their original alignment, goal and role, which may be Town, Mafia or Third Party. However, they will appear as Third Party in most means of investigation. Their vote counts as 2 and, if there is a tie in a lynch, the Mayor decides who to kill and who to save. If the Mayor dies, they will arbitrarily pass the Mayor role to somebody else. If the Mayor cannot decide who to save (because they are affected by some other role), no-one will be lynched in the case of a tie. [You cannot cast Disclosing Votes for this role].

~ Specific rules and other interesting info ~

Spoiler
  • Should there be more players than roles planned, the remaining people will get a Vanilla Townie role, with no particular ability. If there are less players than roles available, necessary adjustments will be made.
  • In this game, there are three types of votes. Mayor Election Votes, Role Disclosing Votes and Lynch Votes. All kinds of votes must be cast in bold. Please, try to stick to the format set for each vote, if not I'm gonna go crazy!
  • The game will start in Day 1, the election day. No lynch will occur, only the Mayor Election. Players must use the following format to choose their Mayor: [Vote] Player or [Unvote] Player. Abstaining is allowed. The winner will become the Mayor, preserving their initial role (if there's a tie, no-one will become Mayor). The Mayor's vote will count double.
  • Role Disclosing Votes may be cast every day along with Mayor Election Votes or Lynch Votes. They will follow the format: [Disclose] Role name or [Cancel] Role name. Information of actions and particularities of the most voted role will be revealed in the next morning. Once the basic information has been exposed, the role may be voted again (on a different day) to uncover the conditions to unlock the secret ability for each role. Abstaining is allowed. If there's a tie, no info will be disclosed.
  • Lynch Votes may be cast from Day 2 on. They will follow the format: [Eliminate] Player or [Unvote] Player. Abstaining is NOT allowed. The person with most Lynch Votes will be killed at the beginning of the night phase.
  • Players must cast a Lynch Vote and should post at least 2 messages each day. Ignoring any of the two rules once or twice will result in a warning. Ignoring them again will result in modkill or substitution of the player.
  • In general, anyone can abstain from performing their night action or from visiting. If you wish to abstain, please tell me it asap in order to manage NAs more efficiently.
  • When dead, only the alignment of the player will appear.
  • All the roles possess a special, hidden ability that may be unlocked if they perform a certain, secret action (usually it’s to target a specific role with their ability, or being targeted by a specific role). They will be informed if they happen to fulfil that condition.
  • The items that may appear in this game are: Gun, Shotgun, Vest, Bomb, Camera, Fireworks, Radio and Polygraph. Their owner will know how to use them.
  • There are other events that are story-dependent, and may be unlocked if you all perform a certain combination of actions.
  • Remember: sometimes, one has to join forces with the enemy to defeat a bigger threat. But I'm sure you already know that.

List of players:

01. Dragoknight

02. Jelly

03. Anti-loser

04. Chickens (Bean)

05. cicada (Nicki)

06. Nano4 (Town, lynched Night 2)

07. Alistair (Town, killed Night 3)

08. Walpurgis (Lía)

09. NickCrash (Town, lynched Night 3)

10. Caimie (Town, modkilled Day 4)

11. LykosHand

12. Astra125

13. Sopheria

14. Newt - 1st Mayor

15. Bazaro

16. Mr. Knightly

17. Candy

18. CrimsonDragon21 (Kiet) (Mafia, killed Night 3)

19. Bok Choi

Jurors:

1. Hanyu (Amine)

~ Day 1 ~

A year had passed since the catastrophe. There had been no survivors, but rumour had it that some careless treasure hunters had unleashed a monster that had annihilated all the members of the town, only to disappear into thin air a few days later. Since then, many thugs and ruffians had flocked to the place on which the town once stood, in hopes that they would finally find the treasure hidden deep within the neighbouring ancient ruins. These new settlers founded a new town, which they called “New Town” in an unparalleled display of imagination and creativity. Law didn’t exist in New Town, and most of the people with respectable jobs such as policemen or doctors would never dare to get less than a mile close to the town. Yet, apart from the usual one or two daily murders, the town was relatively peaceful and quiet thanks to the Worshippers of the Sun and the Moon, who guarded the ruins during the day and night respectively, trying to decipher its secrets. Or it was so, until the fire nation attacked. I mean, until a bunch of new miscreants arrived. They were not only wicked, despicable, heinous, greedy and repulsive, but more wicked, more despicable, more heinous, greedier and more repulsive than the regional mean values. So there’s that. And town thought: “Hey, we gotta kill them. For the lols.”, but somebody replied “Okay but we’d better be organised. Shouldn’t we pick a Mayor?”. “Okay, we had been perfectly fine without a Mayor but well, we gotta embrace democracy at some point, right?”. And then, just like that, they decided they wanted a Mayor for New Town. And so Day 1 starts.

Remember: today you may choose the Mayor, with the format [Vote] Player / [Unvote] Player. Additionally, you may disclose the two most voted roles, using [Disclose] Role / [Cancel] Role. You must cast the votes in bold, although you can abstain from voting at all. For this day, you will have a little bit more than 50 h.

Ladies and gentleman.

Our "New Town" has come to a crossroad, and now you have the power to change the political landscape of it.

As I have said time and time again, if you elect me to be your face in congress, there are several things I will do to ensure that your needs are met day in and day out across this land.

First of all, I plan on proposing new legislation that will remove the taxes we have to pay. Foremost I will channel all our funds into revitalizing the heart of our Town. After the recent events, this place is more vacant then any other.

My top priority is it to populate this wonderful town again. So here I am proposing a city centered revitalization project, that would promote new businesses, new residential areas, and new open green areas to bring people back to the heart of our city

If elected Major, I will also create jobs where there are none, and where there are jobs, I will create internships.

The Office of the Mayor should be held by an individual who can actually bring solutions that will change the town for the better. This town needs a drastic new approach before it’s too late. If we do things the way that they’ve always been done, then things will remain the way that they’ve always been. I will not let this town go another year at the bottom of the totem pole.

Let us take actions that will make people happy.

[Vote] Kiet

[Disclose] ?!?!?!

• Haha 1