Is it possible to change player gender?

applepie

I've been realizing lately that the gender I identified with when I started playing wasn't really accurate and I don't really want to restart just to change my gender. I saw in debug mode there was a variable for gender, but when I changed it to two which the variable said was nb, when I use debug mode to make myself the original trainer of my pokemon, it still says my gender is female. If this isn't the right forum, could someone point me in the right direction at least? 

Similarly, can I switch which sprite I'm using or nah? That one's less important though.

I don't know if he's still there on new save files but there's a guy in Agate Circus who can sort the dialogue to match your gender (Agate Circus being accessible after 9th badge). However I'm sure someone would be able to deal with the dialogue stuff for you if you're not that far into the game yet.

In terms of sprites, you can replace sprites in Reborn by just adding your new sprite and giving the sprite the name which the old sprite had. Eg if you wanted to replace the in battle back sprite of Decibel (white haired nb protag) you would rename your file trback053. Ask around if you want more details on that as other users have more experience than me on that end

I'm already past the agate circus guy, unfortunately. I didn't realize I'd need him so he's gone now. I went through the variables list to see if anything would bring him back, but I'm too afraid to mess around much because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to screw up my game.

In order to be non-binary you have to change the variable 151 to 2 and the switch 289 to false.

The part about your pokemon's original trainer's gender being wrong when you set their ownership is because the code in the Debug mode doesn't actually read variable 151 as your gender... you can fix it with the Debug mode itself, by simply setting the correct original trainer's gender after setting yourself as their original trainer.
(Please note that it's actually better if you don't mess with it though... the Debug mode thinks that you are female because you are using a female sprite, but that doesn't actually have effect on the game because Reborn checks the value in variable 151 instead.)

Thank you for the advice! I already messed with the trainer ownership and such while I was trying to figure out the gender thing, but I was wondering why you said to avoid that? Were you referring to something else or is there some negative impact I'm unaware of?

3 hours ago, applepie said:

Thank you for the advice! I already messed with the trainer ownership and such while I was trying to figure out the gender thing, but I was wondering why you said to avoid that? Were you referring to something else or is there some negative impact I'm unaware of?

This mismatch between the original trainer's gender and your own based on the sprite used is a problem that is in every savegame.
If the devs decide to account for that, they'll assume that every savegame has that error, hence if you fix yours you risk that a future update breaks your savegame.
(It's a very slight risk, but since it is possible and since you gain nothing from it, it's just not worth it to fix that mismatch on your own).