Arkadius

Pokemon Reborn E18 Speedrun in 6 hours, 26 minutes and 46 seconds!

Hello everyone, 

I finally was able to complete another speedrun of Reborn. It is another segmented run like last time and the time before that. Segmented means that the speedrun is done in parts. Because of work and such single segment runs (start to finish without any break) were not viable to me. Instead, I decided to focus on doing another segmented run and really see how much I could improve the previous run I did, which completed episode 18 in 7 hours, 11 minutes and 59 seconds:

https://www.rebornevo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45015-pokemon-reborn-episode-18-speedrun-in-7-hours-11-minutes-and-59-seconds/

This run beat episode 18 in 6 hours, 26 minutes and 46 minutes, an improvement of about 45 minutes.

image.thumb.png.e823e49dc822f93b7ce00fbca501b044.png

Youtube Playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV1soDJJkbF9Iv40NuK8vrjSRJAsYFNvc

Because I wanted to see how much it could be improved, there were more resets between the segments. I also added a few segments (or split certain segments I suppose):

- Aya until the Sirius fight in the Yureyu Building. This was done so that the Serra split would be shorter. Serra is one of the worst fights in the game. You have no good way of destroying the field and Blaziken only has physical moves, one of which is High Jump Kick... 

- Charlotte until the Blake Fight on Ametrine Mountain. This was done to split the Terra segment. Terra is an annoying fight. Luckily there's a better strat now in which Sharpedo only has to tank 1 thunderbolt of the Nidoking. 

- Terra until the Taka fight in the Water Treatment Center. This was done so split the Ciel segment, more specifically because of the chain battle at the Fiore Mansion. 

Overall I am extremely happy with this run. All the splits were really good. Execution, like movement and decision making was better all around. There were improved and more consistent strats. I think the only split I lost time on in comparison to the 7h 11m 59s run is the Charlotte split. This was mainly because of training sharpedo against wild encounters to save a rare candy. 

I will post a link here later on to the youtube playlist.

Looking forward to E19! 

-Arkadius

Splits:

Julia split: 18:31
Florinia split: 39:52
Corey split: 56:19
Shelly split: 1:19:37
Shade split: 1:50:28
Kiki split: 2:09:44
Aya split: 2:27:58
Sirius MT split: 2:46:32
Serra split: 2:55:36
Noel split: 3:14:40
Radomus Split: 3:30:54
Luna split: 3:54:11
Samson split: 4:05:48
Charlotte split: 4:25:10
Blake split: 4:40:45
Terra split: 4:45:58
Taka split: 4:58.29
Ciel split: 5:11:18
Adrienn split: 5:31:50
Titania split: 5:43:28
Amaria split: 5:49:02
Calcenon City split: 6:13:07

Hardy & E18 Complete Split: 6:26:46

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Looking really good. I'm a big follower of pokemon speed running and I indulge in it myself occasionally. 

I also can't help but laughing at the time because it's pretty similar to the amount of time USM speedruns average(lolcutscenes). 

Oh and I read on the other thread that you don't use the speedup function, which is pretty normal, but have you considered using it and just considering it a TAS run(Tool-Assisted Speedrun) just to see how quickly you can finish?

Here's the youtube playlist for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV1soDJJkbF9Iv40NuK8vrjSRJAsYFNvc

I might do a commentary later on. 

@Vinnie I do use the speed up function, as explained in the 7h 11m 59s thread:

My view on this is as follows: the speedup function is an developer intended mechanism in the game. If it wasn't there, and you had to use cheatengine to speed up the game I would never allow it in a speedrun. Given the fact that it's present in the game and can be used without any form of external program needed in my view it's perfectly fine to use it in a speedrun. Using RTA (real time attack) timing is also perfectly fine. Originally the pokemon speedrunning community used to always time their games with the ingame timer. A few years ago the choice was made to switch from the ingame timer to a RTA timed runs. One of the reasons for this was the strange way the game rounded down or rounded up the ingame time. 

In pokemon yellow for example, the WR at some point was a 1:55 (1 hour and 55 minutes) while the RTA time was 1 hour, 56 minutes and 49 seconds. Reborn also round down to the minute. Even though at this point it is extremely unlikely that it matters, I believe RTA timed runs are better. 

It also allows people who have less time in real life to try and do a run. 

Forcing people to not use the speedup function results in 20+ hour runs. I would not be doing any more attempts at that point. 

But there is no one to stop you from doing a run without the speedup function, so if you want to do it go for it. 

my concern with speedup is that it's incredibly dependent on the user's CPU power to function effectively, so people with older/worse computers would be at a disadvantage.

obviously it's still worth using speedup, but that's probably something that's also worth keeping in mind.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, andracass said:

my concern with speedup is that it's incredibly dependent on the user's CPU power to function effectively, so people with older/worse computers would be at a disadvantage.

obviously it's still worth using speedup, but that's probably something that's also worth keeping in mind.

Speedrunning tends to have different categories. 

So using the speedup would fall under TAS or Tool Assisted Speed run, which is usually very diverse category with a wide variety of times because of that. Its also not a category that receives a lot of attention compared to regular, % runs and even glitched runs for that reason since it's a bit inconsistent. 

i don't see this qualifying as a TAS given that the player is still making inputs in real time. if speedup makes this run a TAS, text skip makes this run a TAS.

other load intensive games go based on in-game time, but reborn's in-game timer doesn't account for differences in speedup.

a possible (but somewhat unideal) solution would be to somehow incorporate a frame counter instead.

frankly, if there are solutions we could implement, i wouldn't be opposed to including them in e19. speedrun password system or something.

7 minutes ago, andracass said:

i don't see this qualifying as a TAS given that the player is still making inputs in real time. if speedup makes this run a TAS, text skip makes this run a TAS.

other load intensive games go based on in-game time, but reborn's in-game timer doesn't account for differences in speedup.

a possible (but somewhat unideal) solution would be to somehow incorporate a frame counter instead.

frankly, if there are solutions we could implement, i wouldn't be opposed to including them in e19. speedrun password system or something.

It could be it's own category then. The reason I consider it to be worth putting in a TAS category is because in the past we'd consider emulated runs where the player would use slow mo controls given by the emulator to be TAS runs, so to me it'd also make sense if the opposite were true.

A frame counter would work or maybe you could lower the speedup down to a certain amount where the majority of pcs out there could achieve the same rate. 

slow-mo controls in an emulator would be tools that a player would not be able to use in a standard playthrough on a console. the PC is the console here, and the speedup is an established part of the game. while it may be the opposite of slow-mo, it's still a developer intended tool. if you, perhaps, doubled the effect of the speedup, that'd be an unintended feature. 

as for lowering speedup, if your PC is enough of a potato, normal areas will also lag. there's really not a lot we can do about that, and it'd frankly just add more tedium to the run.

12 minutes ago, andracass said:

slow-mo controls in an emulator would be tools that a player would not be able to use in a standard playthrough on a console. the PC is the console here, and the speedup is an established part of the game. while it may be the opposite of slow-mo, it's still a developer intended tool. if you, perhaps, doubled the effect of the speedup, that'd be an unintended feature. 

as for lowering speedup, if your PC is enough of a potato, normal areas will also lag. there's really not a lot we can do about that, and it'd frankly just add more tedium to the run.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. 

I suppose a frame counter is probably the only way track this accurately then. It feels really weird but I'll take your word for it.

after we release plz i don't wanna be C&D'd

but after that yes definitely let's make it happen

oh wait they wouldn't accept it anyways I don't think GDQ would take a 6+ hour run of a not really known game, they only do that for stuff like earthbound or FF7

On 8/6/2019 at 4:48 AM, andracass said:

On 8/6/2019 at 5:12 AM, andracass said:

This is for sure an issue in speedrunning. Certain communities tried dealing with the issue by having fixed frame rates and things like that. But at that point you're using third party software to influence the game.

Using the speedup function is definitely not a TAS, because indeed, as you mentioned, the speedup is a developer intented tool. A TAS of Reborn would be interesting though, but I do not have the knowledge nor skill to make it. 

The solution imo would be to simply have two categories, with and without speedup. The issue is that computer hardware differences simply exist. Even if you do not use the speed up function, there will still be differences in the gameplay. On my old laptop, the Jasper Ward area would lag like crazy with the Pulse and everything there, even without speedup. On my new PC the area lags significantly less, again, without speedup enabled. So you would always keep that difference, despite of the speedup function. A frame counter could be more accurate assuming there's no frame rate lag. But even then, the player that has the worse PC will be be affected by the lag, make movement errors because of it and lose frames. I would stick with RTA timing. 

Reborn at a GDQ would on the one hand be amazing but on the other probably terrible because of the exposure it would get and the risk of shutdown...

Maybe it can at some point be featured in the Pokemon Speedrunning Community Marathon. 

Thanks for the comments btw!