Is Greninja bad?

Kronos

This isn't my first time through reborn btw and I don't play modern pokemon games, but I've heard so much hype about Greninja so I picked him up. I just beat KiKi and he has just been garbage from beginning to now. Am I doing something wrong here? It has good ivs but he just seems so underwhelming

Greninja is without a doubt one of the best starter Pokémon of the water type. You should make sure that is has the ability called Protean, since that one allows Greninja to change its type to the same as that of the attack you use. This not only gives you 50% more damage on ALL your moves, but also allows for type swapping to avoid weaknesses. Greninja comes with a great base speed and can be played as a very strong special attacker or a very decent physical attacker due to its great move pool available from TMs and move tutors.

If your Greninja does not have the Protean ability just use an ability capsule on it.

13 hours ago, ShogokiX said:

Greninja is without a doubt one of the best starter Pokémon of the water type. You should make sure that is has the ability called Protean, since that one allows Greninja to change its type to the same as that of the attack you use. This not only gives you 50% more damage on ALL your moves, but also allows for type swapping to avoid weaknesses. Greninja comes with a great base speed and can be played as a very strong special attacker or a very decent physical attacker due to its great move pool available from TMs and move tutors.

If your Greninja does not have the Protean ability just use an ability capsule on it.

Sorry for late reply, but yeah it had Protean already. Does it become stronger later due to bigger move pool cause of tms? cause at Spinel town right now around level 45 im still using water pulse as my main damaging move and im not a big fan of Hydro Pump cause of 70 accuracy. Thanks for the reply!

• Veterans
51 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Sorry for late reply, but yeah it had Protean already. Does it become stronger later due to bigger move pool cause of tms? cause at Spinel town right now around level 45 im still using water pulse as my main damaging move and im not a big fan of Hydro Pump cause of 70 accuracy. Thanks for the reply!

you could have picked up water pledge from the lapis ward tutor a long time ago, move relearner for night slash and extrasensory and other good moves help greninja a lot too. hydro pump has base 80+ accuracy and is imo its best move period because of how much raw power it has.

10 hours ago, A̸͖̬͎̖̯̼̫͍ͣ̾ͧ͆͋͘͟ͅžͫ͗̈̅͗ͯ said:

you could have picked up water pledge from the lapis ward tutor a long time ago, move relearner for night slash and extrasensory and other good moves help greninja a lot too. hydro pump has base 80+ accuracy and is imo its best move period because of how much raw power it has.

Yes, Water Pledge might have been a good choice, You get that by going to the Lapis Ward and in one of the houses to the very north is a man that teaches any starter Pokémon the Pledge move of their respective type for 3 Shards of the respective color (green, red and blue shards of course)

As for Hydro Pump i am with Kronos on this one. It MAY have a whopping 120 base damage, but the fact that it has a 80% accuracy and only 5 AP make this move a no go for a Pokémon used for a playthrough.

11 hours ago, Kronos said:

Yes, Greninja will obtain a very nice move pool once you get the right TMs. It can be played in some very interesting, rather "unusual" ways....trust an old competetive player on that one^^ I had like 6 different Greninja, some of them just for trolling some very salty people....

5 hours ago, A̸͖̬͎̖̯̼̫͍ͣ̾ͧ͆͋͘͟ͅžͫ͗̈̅͗ͯ said:

80% accuracy isn't that low lol...

No 80% isn't low normally... But in reborn for me, generally I will never miss a move for a while, or never land it. And couple that 50/50 in with 3  hours of bad luck and ive grown to hate any move with less than 100 accuracy on it.