Can trainers predict abilities?

Okay, I know this might sound dumb, and it might be intentional, but every single trainer I fight with seems to, for some bizarre reason, be able to predict which ability my pokémon have. For example, I'm fighting the Electric type gym leader, and he kept sweeping my team by spamming that annoying special move, even when I had my Motor Drive Zebstrika out.

So I think, hey, Jan said to use a pokémon with Lightningrod, right? Use a couple ability capsules, now my Zebstrika has Lightningrod. Take out Frosslass and Zebstrika, like the previous 10 times, expecting him to spam the special move like the previous 10 times, but he seems to be onto me, so he instead spams Surf.

I've seen it happen before, with abilities like Volt Absorb or Flash Fire. Is it intentional? If so, why even recommend using Lightningrod?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FlygonFreak said:

Okay, I know this might sound dumb, and it might be intentional, but every single trainer I fight with seems to, for some bizarre reason, be able to predict which ability my pokémon have. For example, I'm fighting the Electric type gym leader, and he kept sweeping my team by spamming that annoying special move, even when I had my Motor Drive Zebstrika out.

So I think, hey, Jan said to use a pokémon with Lightningrod, right? Use a couple ability capsules, now my Zebstrika has Lightningrod. Take out Frosslass and Zebstrika, like the previous 10 times, expecting him to spam the special move like the previous 10 times, but he seems to be onto me, so he instead spams Surf.

I've seen it happen before, with abilities like Volt Absorb or Flash Fire. Is it intentional? If so, why even recommend using Lightningrod?

You can just switch into a electric move.

It happened to me a couple of times, it also happens sometimes the AI changes it's move choice depending on the move you've chosen for the turn, which is a pretty broken thing, though I guess it's just a developing problem and it's actually kinda fun when you're able to outsmart even that broken AI 😉

This happened to me as well when I tried using a Lightningrod Manectric against Erick though I never had any major, or otherwise blatant, issues with AI "clairvoyance" outside this particular fight.

That being said...Clairvoyant AI really, really, reeaaaally sucks. And it is the primary reason I dropped PokeMMO to sink like the Titanic in the depths of the darkest corner of my memory, and have not looked back ever since.