How different would this game have been if Melia was the player character?

Magus543

With the introduction of the fact we can play as other trainers, and the fact that there is a fan game of a fan game of a fan game centering around Melia's time before the game, and the fact Rejuvenation clearly favors the writer's mary sue over the player's mary sue, i wonder if this game should have had Melia as the PC from the start. Sure the main game's appeal is the silent protagonist that we can insert ourselves into but this is a fangame, and they already have broken or bent several Pokemon conventions like 18 gyms, swearing, and killing Pokemon, so would having a talking PC really be so bad? Hell this game starts with us playing as Maria.

All the common complaints about Melia such as stealing the spotlight, would be alleviated if she was the PC. One of the most frustrating parts of this game for me personally, is how the PC can't talk when there is so much potential for it, like how do we feel after Nancy dies? Nim dies? How do we feel about being dragged into this conflict? ETC, instead Melia usually speaks over us, such as the Nim and Jenner funeral scene. Hell, this game prioritizes Melia's story and feelings over the PC, like for example, despite Madame X killing our mother, Melia is the one who interacts with Madame X during the bad future, and at the end of V11 get's the big triumphant heroic declaration that she will defeat Madame X, while we just stand around and do nothing, her dad is the big bad(or one of them) and any plot developments that relate to us get shafted in favor of developments for others, like in GDC we find that there are two impersonators well impersonating us and our dead mother and desecrating our name and our mother's memory, we stay silent, and then this plot point is forgotten, and Melia and Venam's relationship get's more attention, and the game forgets about those two copycats. (Granted my memory is a little fuzzy over this, memory wiped Valerie shows up i think? if someone can correct me please do)  I would bet you 500 pokedollars that if Comet and Cosmia were impersonating Melia and Jenner, the game would deal with them sooner. 

Granted, i will say this, the mystery of the Interceptor, what happened to the various other Player characters has me intrigued, so it seems the Dev team have something interesting in store for us. 

Edited by Magus543

Well we do kind of see Cosmia before Gdc in a kristilian (idk if i spelled it right)  quest but nothing else there. I cant disagree with ya on the focus though. I would of liked to see some of the Mc's feelings on the death of their Mom and all this stuff going on around them more. Although the plot does have me intrigued in general 

5 hours ago, Magus543 said:

With the introduction of the fact we can play as other trainers, and the fact that there is a fan game of a fan game of a fan game centering around Melia's time before the game, and the fact Rejuvenation clearly favors the writer's mary sue over the player's mary sue, i wonder if this game should have had Melia as the PC from the start. Sure the main game's appeal is the silent protagonist that we can insert ourselves into but this is a fangame, and they already have broken or bent several Pokemon conventions like 18 gyms, swearing, and killing Pokemon, so would having a talking PC really be so bad? Hell this game starts with us playing as Maria.

All the common complaints about Melia such as stealing the spotlight, would be alleviated if she was the PC. One of the most frustrating parts of this game for me personally, is how the PC can't talk when there is so much potential for it, like how do we feel after Nancy dies? Nim dies? How do we feel about being dragged into this conflict? ETC, instead Melia usually speaks over us, such as the Nim and Jenner funeral scene. Hell, this game prioritizes Melia's story and feelings over the PC, like for example, despite Madame X killing our mother, Melia is the one who interacts with Madame X during the bad future, and at the end of V11 get's the big triumphant heroic declaration that she will defeat Madame X, while we just stand around and do nothing, her dad is the big bad(or one of them) and any plot developments that relate to us get shafted in favor of developments for others, like in GDC we find that there are two impersonators well impersonating us and our dead mother and desecrating our name and our mother's memory, we stay silent, and then this plot point is forgotten, and Melia and Venam's relationship get's more attention, and the game forgets about those two copycats. (Granted my memory is a little fuzzy over this, memory wiped Valerie shows up i think? if someone can correct me please do)  I would bet you 500 pokedollars that if Comet and Cosmia were impersonating Melia and Jenner, the game would deal with them sooner. 

Granted, i will say this, the mystery of the Interceptor, what happened to the various other Player characters has me intrigued, so it seems the Dev team have something interesting in store for us. 

After the escape from Blacksteeple,the MC remained closed in one of the Brigade's rooms for a couple of days,in mourning for their mother...

9 hours ago, Magus543 said:

Not sure if it will help with your interceptor mystery or not but:

Spoiler

There is a location you can reach in V12 underwater that has some books you can read, it looks like the Garufa were well versed about The Interceptor or may have even been the ones who created an Interceptor as well as the means for ones existence should it ever be needed and they not be around to produce one.

1 hour ago, Lord Drakyle said:

Not sure if it will help with your interceptor mystery or not but:

Reveal hidden contents

There is a location you can reach in V12 underwater that has some books you can read, it looks like the Garufa were well versed about The Interceptor or may have even been the ones who created an Interceptor as well as the means for ones existence should it ever be needed and they not be around to produce one.

Spoiler

ooooh, now that is interesting, tell me where please. Also if the intercepter is a construct made by the Garufa then does that mean our Player character IS A CONSTRUCT? Oh boy, four lights or four shadows not born of man indeed.

1 hour ago, Magus543 said:
  Hide contents

ooooh, now that is interesting, tell me where please. Also if the intercepter is a construct made by the Garufa then does that mean our Player character IS A CONSTRUCT? Oh boy, four lights or four shadows not born of man indeed.

Spoiler

ya need to do this puzzle thing around route 9 i think it was? basically between valor mountain and Telia resort there is a diving spot well a few spots, after ya done the same kind of puzzle in this other area where there is a submarine pretty sure it was north of Akuwa town you can do the puzzle that is between the mountain and resort, finishing it opens a small house which is called The Archives, it's hard to explain the entire thing just that there is diving spots in multiple places along route 8 or 9 and one in Kyogre's chamber where ya fought it in the mountain, ya gotta do a lot of diving and mazing and stuff it's super tedious to explain in detail.

2 hours ago, Magus543 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Its actually "four light not born of man" and "four shadows born from men". Also, Nancy is referred to as a "doll" (so probably a maid of some sorts) several times so it was pretty obvious we were "not born of man".

1 minute ago, nhehvnukl said:
  Hide contents

Its actually "four light not born of man" and "four shadows born from men". Also, Nancy is referred to as a "doll" (so probably a maid of some sorts) several times so it was pretty obvious we were "not born of man".

Spoiler

It's quite curious that Melia has 3 siblings then. If Melia is a light not born of man, it stands to reason, her siblings could too.

Hide contents

It's quite curious that Melia has 3 siblings then. If Melia is a light not born of man, it stands to reason, her siblings could too.

Spoiler

To be fair, Alice and Allen are practically confirmed to be Vitus children and isn't he, like, the original man from Nymiera story?

1 minute ago, nhehvnukl said:
  Hide contents

To be fair, Alice and Allen are practically confirmed to be Vitus children and isn't he, like, the original man from Nymiera story?

Spoiler

Unless the dev team throw us in for a loop, he possibly is. 

Hide contents

Unless the dev team throw us in for a loop, he possibly is. 

Spoiler

So unless Anathea is not a human, they're probably not included. Melia's origins on the other hand seems to be reincarnation of some sorts so she's a possible candidate. Same with Aelita.

32 minutes ago, nhehvnukl said:
  Hide contents

So unless Anathea is not a human, they're probably not included. Melia's origins on the other hand seems to be reincarnation of some sorts so she's a possible candidate. Same with Aelita.

Spoiler

Dr. Ishiah's notes mentions Anthea has a scar shaped like a key near her neck. Interesting.

To answer the original question: I like the MC's plot. I wasn't able to get very far in "Where Love lies"  because they made first-appearance-Keeta an idiot, so now I'm hesitant to try to force through. I'd probably hate to play as a regularly speaking protagonist for my default protagonist. Idk, though. I like being a muteopath, and I like the implications that my character did mourn and did care.

1 hour ago, ParadoxPotentia said:

To answer the original question: I like the MC's plot. I wasn't able to get very far in "Where Love lies"  because they made first-appearance-Keeta an idiot, so now I'm hesitant to try to force through. I'd probably hate to play as a regularly speaking protagonist for my default protagonist. Idk, though. I like being a muteopath, and I like the implications that my character did mourn and did care.

Where love lies is great, try it. Its pretty short anyways. Keta also gets much better. Use a guide as the normal ending leaves a lot of loose threads, and the true ending is difficult to get.

When the MC is in the Zone Zero's Hospital(Ex-Hospital of Hiroshi),we get access to the Archive,where there are Anathea's information...at least,a strange Anathea,because she has black hair(like Maids?)and 4 children...but,the real Anathea has 1 child(Maria/Marianette)and blonde hai.

If Melia,Erin,Allen and Alice are Anathea 2 's children?

Edited by Fredzard

1 hour ago, Fredzard said:

When the MC is in the Zone Zero's Hospital(Ex-Hospital of Hiroshi),we get access to the Archive,where there are Anathea's information...at least,a strange Anathea,because she has black hair(like Maids?)and 4 children...but,the real Anathea has 1 child(Maria/Marianette)and blonde hai.

Spoiler

Melia is some sort of reincarnated Maria, evidenced by the fact that while being sacrificed by Angie, Melia turns into Maria for a split second and calls the feeling "familiar" so yknow.

9 minutes ago, nhehvnukl said:
  Hide contents

Melia is some sort of reincarnated Maria, evidenced by the fact that while being sacrificed by Angie, Melia turns into Maria for a split second and calls the feeling "familiar" so yknow.

Yes,I know it...like the "Zorua and Pangoro's book" in Blacksteeple(When we are like Emma)

I bet someone here actually named their main character Shulk for obvious reasons.

Or Alvis. Maybe they didn’t want an internet meme as their Protagonist.

I did the normal thing and named the protagonist of my recent playthrough “Amalthus”. 

11 hours ago, ShadeStrider said:

I bet someone here actually named their main character Shulk for obvious reasons.

Or Alvis. Maybe they didn’t want an internet meme as their Protagonist.

I did the normal thing and named the protagonist of my recent playthrough “Amalthus”. 

I don't get the reference.

19 hours ago, Fredzard said:

Spoiler

Speaking of her hair, we learn from "the archive" that the archetype can turn people hair into a "certain shade of gold". That seems to be what happened to her. (thank you tv tropes for that observation)

2 hours ago, nhehvnukl said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Speaking of her hair, we learn from "the archive" that the archetype can turn people hair into a "certain shade of gold". That seems to be what happened to her. (thank you tv tropes for that observation)

22 hours ago, Magus543 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Dr. Ishiah's notes mentions Anthea has a scar shaped like a key near her neck. Interesting.

Speaking of Anathea,Anathea 2 and her children,what happened when Marianette gained her memories(chapter 3)and she "speaks" with Indriad?