Do Looker and Anabel feel off to anyone?

Magus543

Looker doesn't even have his usual theme, or his way of talking, it's really unnerving. They both feel OOC, i can't tell if it's deliberate or if it's just the dev team not being able to capture their character. Looker comes off as a generic agent, instead of his lovably goofy incompetent yet badass self, and for some reason, tries to play a protective role to Anabel despite her being his boss and a fellow Interpol agent, when game Looker is pretty okay with her being on the field. And Anabel well, how do i put this, feels more like Melia than she does her sun and moon self. But what really gave me warning bells was their reaction to finding out Flora is the head of Team Bladestar, if this was Game Looker the moment he found out about Flora, he would go to the GDC Cafe, and then arrest Flora, but for whatever reason, both Looker and Anabel are all, exposing Flora is not our mission, only the rift pokemon are. Like what? You are the Interpol, go arrest the terrorist leader, this is nonsensical especially on a join Team Bladestar run, where Flora is free and clearly plotting a terrorist attack, Looker is incompetent but not like this. Also another thing that sets off alarm bells is that they tell you not to inform the Scooby Gang about them despite there being no real reason not to besides not having the main plot interact with the side quests.  Are Looker and Anabel, robots too? Are they impostors? Or is it just the writing style not capturing Looker properly? I doubt it considering, this game has Huey.  

Edited by Magus543

Found it strange too. As you said the easiest answer is to not mix side quest and main plot.

If we go for a convoluted answer:

-Not informing the gang: honestly the hardest to explain since it's not like we're doing some cover operation(where indeed informing Venam is not a great idea). They probably dismiss Melia/Veronica skills in comparison to the player(not unjustified but still odd).

-Disregarding bladestar: Depending on when you do the sidequest and how you dealt with Flora she is not necessarily on the run. They might also consider that Bladestar is a Grand Dream City Local problem and thus leaving t to the hand of the local police. They may or may not be aware of Cassandra's deal so maybe they deliberately want them to butt head and destroy each other?

-Them being robots:maybe but what would be the point? Not like the MC know them anyway

-Their relationship: never really paid atention but maybe time had them grow closer

4 hours ago, nam23 said:

Found it strange too. As you said the easiest answer is to not mix side quest and main plot.

If we go for a convoluted answer:

-Not informing the gang: honestly the hardest to explain since it's not like we're doing some cover operation(where indeed informing Venam is not a great idea). They probably dismiss Melia/Veronica skills in comparison to the player(not unjustified but still odd).

-Disregarding bladestar: Depending on when you do the sidequest and how you dealt with Flora she is not necessarily on the run. They might also consider that Bladestar is a Grand Dream City Local problem and thus leaving t to the hand of the local police. They may or may not be aware of Cassandra's deal so maybe they deliberately want them to butt head and destroy each other?

-Them being robots:maybe but what would be the point? Not like the MC know them anyway

-Their relationship: never really paid atention but maybe time had them grow closer

If they considered Team Bladestar, a local police problem, they would inform the local police of the identity of the Team Bladestar leader, but nope. Like i said, this is really odd if on a join Team Bladestar run, i mean i played a arrest Flora run first, but their reactions are still odd there. 

In regards to their relationship, i still find it odd, Looker is being condescending to Anabel by saying it's too dangerous for her to go on this mission despite Anabel being his superior and a fellow agent. If Anabel was Emma from Pokemon X, then that would make sense, but nope, hell Looker being over-protective is still nonsensical when you remember he gave the Bureau to Emma so she could support herself and fight crime. Looker is also willing to use us as bait for the Ultra Beasts BTW, which is something even Nanu of all people finds objectionable.

In regards to them being robots or impostors, even if the MC doesn't even know who they are, all the impostors need are the appearance of being with Interpol to get the MC to cooperate. Remember, they end the latest version with a Rift Pokemon in their possession. I will say this, however, the writer did remember Looker's catchphrase of how he introduces himself so Looker's not totally OOC. 

I don't know, maybe i'm overthinking this, but the fact that Amanda was replaced with a robot, means that it's possible Looker and Anabel are too, i mean, again, Looker's theme does't even play when you meet him, and the Dev team definitely could have easily played it when Anabel and Looker first appear but they don't, instead it's this vaguely sinister and oppressive theme that sounds like it's for a villain.     

Edited by Magus543